Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,523 members, 7,861,515 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:35 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (312) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820039 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:44pm On Jan 10, 2008
RoughCut:

Hopefully starting in sept but i have to go and find £40,000 first

You ke?? I beg just liquidate 1% of your porfolio. I dey your side. grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 4:45pm On Jan 10, 2008
elemu:

@ all
Please as a newbie in this forum, I am very happy and greatful for all the advices form gurus - Fof2, Wanaj0 et al.
Please can one help on this question. My current broker is terrible!!! I have a laundry list of reasons - For someone not in Nigeria, Is there a Reputable broker where I can open account - buy and sell online without having to travel back to Naija,

@elemu

Try this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-79353.0.html
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:45pm On Jan 10, 2008
RoughCut:

It doesnt make any iota of  sense financially for any institutional investor that has billions of naira and deep pockets to invest to go via PO/IPO i don't think they would like to tie down their funds in return for a 'paltry' interest plus principal in case monies are returned.It is  even more ludicrous if they are now applying for 50% of what is on offer that does not constitute a serious bid to mei'm sure all the other institutional investors have not come to sight-see third mainland bridge!

So any institutional investor that has applied for 50% of the equity on offer is  not yet  ready to play with the big boys catch my drift? i was not referring to the institutional investors that entered or applied via PO i don't even know them all those i referred to in my earlier post on this subject don't think they applied via IPO/PO. Those guys have serious money to play with so why would you want to waste time and tie down valuable resources applying for PO or IPO's?

Like you said the banks would have to come and look for them and not the other way round!

You need to understand the reasoning. There is a limit to the quantity of shares traded on the floor. Hence those that want huge stake either negotiate or enter through a PO/IPO. Stanbic nominees applied for over 2bn shares of Access Bank. That is deep pocket in my books. Definitely more than what Actis committed into Diamond.

The issue is you have people who want to 'take' over some companies. If negotiations fail, you try through PO's/IPO. it is a gamble now with the oversubscription.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oxfordkid(m): 4:46pm On Jan 10, 2008
ololufemi:

@ All,

From the news we heard today coming from Dangote and Access, it means that more money will come back to the market and I can bet it that even a 10 year old boy no go buy pass 4500, units of any PO.

Example, My own money dey come back come floor for some juicy stock.

NB I don tire to try get AIICO but the thing no gree show. Does anybody want to sell his/her AIICO.

Na beg.

@ Oxfordkid,

Greet Bhutto pikin for me oh. The market needs to be studied patiently and it is not wise to move in and out abruptly- buy today and sell tomorrow on the same stock. UBA may even gain 5% tomorrow and you fit don lose some good percentages on the money

It would seve better if you can source for more money to make another entry into UBA.

Find another money buy UBA.

Fidelity dey there but wait make it drop close to PO price.

thanxs for your fatherly advice or na motherly? butto pikin don be hero for uni now but i no dey oxford i dey wolverhampton dey do stusent exchange but go email your regard to him
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Shibrino(f): 4:47pm On Jan 10, 2008
@wanaj0 and FO2

Please advice on the good shares I can buy now (secondary or IPO, any one) I have some cash.  Me sef won be like una, make I de talk wit authority like una. who no like better thing.  Abeg make una help me oooo.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:47pm On Jan 10, 2008
oxfordkid:

@ all the best and see you soon

Yeah  man i need it! juggle career with MBA and family and i have to watch my investments like a hawk on  the NSE and keep up with nairaland grin grin grin grin grin

I guess i need all the luck in the world!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:50pm On Jan 10, 2008
Fatherof2, if you read my post very well, you will see that I am not attacking or criticising your strategy. Just letting people know that they've got to be like you in terms of temperament if they need to go that route.

When FCMB was lifted from TS, the price dropped and people panicked. You however told them  not to worry. Those that will worry over daily flunctuations should not even get near the capital market or else they will develop high blood pressure.

My comment is not about strategy, it is about individuals risk appetite. It will be good if you teach them that also. That's when they can live to enjoy the money that they make from the market.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:51pm On Jan 10, 2008
pumping777:

You ke?? I beg just liquidate 1% of your porfolio. I dey your side. grin grin grin
i think its looking more like 25% grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:51pm On Jan 10, 2008
ololufemi:

@ All,

NB I don tire to try get AIICO but the thing no gree show. Does anybody want to sell his/her AIICO.

Na beg.

Fidelity dey there but wait make it drop close to PO price.

My Aiico is available for sale at a shop near you. Only N4.50 per unit as you be nairalander.

Fidelity near PO price of N8 ke?? Like N9 or less?? I don't think it will get there. If you wait for that you will likely miss the train. Don't be surprised if they come out with half year results early instead of the usual February.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 4:57pm On Jan 10, 2008
How times change. So the latest strategy now is to let a stock be left off TS,wait for it to drop to close to PO price and then plunge in.Two months ago the reverse was the case. Oh! my NSE,how beautiful and unpredictable you are?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:02pm On Jan 10, 2008
damoche07:

How times change. So the latest strategy now is to let a stock be left off TS,wait for it to drop to close to PO price and then plunge in.Two months ago the reverse was the case. Oh! my NSE,how beautiful and unpredictable you are?

Well, when the 'distortions' in the market are removed, we all will start to see how things work. Ask your self why you will buy a stock at a higher price after lifting from TS when you could have bought from the PO.

The madness started when BPE made some companies to be on TS for close to 2 years during the privitisation exercise. Because of the supressed capital appreciation they hit the rooftop. Also, when CBN started verification which made bank stocks to be on TS for longer than necessary, this was compensated for by the sudden appreciation after the TS. Now that the distortion is being removed, it remained to be seen why the price should increase after a PO. Why did it not 'increase' before the PO?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:03pm On Jan 10, 2008
damoche07:

It depends on the stock. Fidelity has been on net offer before and after the PO. Even FCMB and Access that dipped, rose first before dipping.

Some months ago someone that mis-read the strategy decided to buy loads of Fidelity on TS and the person was alerted that Fidelity is bound to drop after TS is lifted. I hope the person heeded the good advice.

As an example, does one expect Aiico to drop after TS is lifted? I don't think so.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:03pm On Jan 10, 2008
damoche07:

hahahaha,it will readapt when it knows you now know this.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by endure: 5:06pm On Jan 10, 2008
Hi Fatherof2, please waz ur take on vitafoam and fidelity?
I was baffled by d list today
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ijengala: 5:10pm On Jan 10, 2008
my name na ije-ngala and na today i join una. so i say make i just hail everybody wey dey hia. una do well o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:11pm On Jan 10, 2008
@ Wanaj0,

I remeber sey una dey laugh me then.

But well said Wanaj0 or field Marshall as some people would refer to you. Make I oblige them before them go talk sey na only Fatherof2 I dey respect and I dey disrespect you.

Field Marshall Wanaj0, na nairalanders give you name oh,

You are absolutely correct, if you cannot swim, dont play near the tidal wave or ,

the higher the risk, the higher the return.

Be sure about your actions before you take them. Know evidently well that you are taking a risk.

A typical example is people buying Unity Bank in anticipation of a price surge due to impending PO. What if it now falls,

I leave you to answer.

No carry your ball go field if you know sey if them burst am, you go cry and your brother go beat you for house

Speculators are huge risk takers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 5:15pm On Jan 10, 2008
Shibrino:

@wanaj0 and FO2

Please advice on the good shares I can buy now (secondary or IPO, any one) I have some cash.  Me sef won be like una, make I de talk wit authority like una. who no like better thing.  Abeg make una help me oooo.

If I have N1m now I will buy the following stocks because of the their fundamentals, and will have 12 - 18 months in mind:

Beta Glass
Diamond bank
Unic Insurance
First bank
Vitafoam
Nigerian German Chemicals
UBA
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nzemillion: 5:17pm On Jan 10, 2008
Wanajo, pumping 777, Easimoni   and  the  rest  of  my  nairaland  family,  Pls  what  you  think  about  AG  leventis   and  Equity  assurance.  My  broker  just  bougth  it  4  me  yesterday  without  my  concern, and  when  i  asked  him  why?   he   told  me  it´s  a  good  buy    now, pls  what  do  you  guys  think  about  that,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jamifa(m): 5:19pm On Jan 10, 2008
u welkom mate
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:20pm On Jan 10, 2008
@ Oga Pumping777,

No be N9 I talk for Fidelity oh. Make some people no go wait till eternity oh

Besides, N10/N11 is closer to N8 than N12 or N13.

if it drops, let it drop and you can buy at a lower price. Remember that you dont have to wait for certificate verification.

Get my point
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:22pm On Jan 10, 2008
endure:

Hi Fatherof2, please waz your take on vitafoam and fidelity?
I was baffled by d list today

I got some vitafoam on the last friday before christmas.Now the price is about N10.Results i know are around the corner.
It was a bit cheap yesterday.I want to see the final result juice. 9 MONTHS  was good.
They've not given bonus for over 3 years now sha,but lets see.
We don dey reach the end of vitafoam race.My percentage objective is just one step from being met.
i ride vita twice in the last 3 months of last year,this will be my last ride with it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ijengala: 5:25pm On Jan 10, 2008
MrRisky, nice list. I were u, i would add Julius Berger to that list and remove Nig. German Chem which i think is quite high already!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adctrl: 5:27pm On Jan 10, 2008
@ all

I want to say hello and happy new year to everyone.

I am a newbie on this forum and I have been following proceedings for some weeks now. I bow for all u gurus and I must confess that each of your posts has been very helpful to me.

I am thinking of getting some stocks through' the different po/ipo in town but I have come to realise that some of these people just keep your funds for sometime and what you hear is oversubscripton without you getting any interests on your money which is not in your posession for some months.

This practice discourages me. How do u know a stock that will not be oversubscribe?

I am thinking of investing around N1 million and I will like you guys to give me the load-down of how I can do this with the possibility of make the double within 3-5 years.

I have enquired about the IBTC equity fund also and annything you can say or contribute will be highly appreciated.

Please advise on the best way to do this: is it stocks or mutual/equity funds etc

Thanks

#######

Make una please drop a line on this. I go appreciate am
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Cookeclos: 5:28pm On Jan 10, 2008
does anyone know why international breweries have been going up ever since lifted on TS, closed at 3.41 today. Guru in the house, please share more light.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:31pm On Jan 10, 2008
ololufemi:

@ Oga Pumping777,

No be N9 I talk for Fidelity oh. Make some people no go wait till eternity oh

Besides, N10/N11 is closer to N8 than N12 or N13.

if it drops, let it drop and you can buy at a lower price. Remember that you don't have to wait for certificate verification.

Get my point

No. N10/N11 is closer to N12 than to N8. Haba. Which kin mathematics be dat.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 5:35pm On Jan 10, 2008
cheesy  cheesy  cheesy  cheesy

i can't stop laughing cuz of the goings on here honestly. what between strategys and "which stock should i buy" etc
i give up honestly. but honestly this isnt funny

while we are all entitled to our own opinions and ideas, there is the thing of being ur brother's keeper.  we all want to be independent as much as possible but we shouldn't let our brothers "dive into a tidal wave" (nice one ololufemi) under the pretext that we are all entitled to our own opinions. Remember its money we are talking about here and that means lives, not only of the owner but his wife, his children, mother, father, etc. This is even worse in Nigeria where there's a lot of borrowed money at expensive interest rates in the market. why do u think people in more developed markets around the world commit suicide on account on crashes in thier stock markets? I see such people in my outpatients clinic everyday, depressed and hopeless after losing everything. we dey play with lives here in the long run.

i cant say this enough and probably won't say it again before people take offence, investing is a plan that starts with a mental introspective look at urself and ur personality. what can u tolerate? are u an anxious kind of personality, do u have a patient outlook on investments? etc. all these are questions u need to ask urself befroe u throw in ur hard earned money. Chei i wish i could drum this home hard enough. i've heard people here say thjey are new to stock business and want to be recommended stock to throw money at, ha ur hard earned cash? to trust persons recommendation wey u never meet before or know where he is coming from? na wa o! on a faceless forum with unidentifiable people? i can only hope they use the recommendatuions to develop a story around the stock and be able to tell themselves and anyone why they are buying the stock apart from saying wanajo, easimoni, FOF2 et pumping recommended them  cheesy  cheesy  cheesy

i am my brother's keeper
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2008
Ije ngala:

MrRisky, nice list. I were u, i would add Julius Berger to that list and remove Nig. German Chem which i think is quite high already!

Thanks at N28 I will buy Nig. Germ Chemicals.  The management does not rubbish their stock with BONUSES, so if I am to go by projected PE, N28 is even cheaper, if not cheaper than JB.  Any way JB is another good buy too, but that sector appears to me weather prone.

The management of NGC and Unic is sound, that is my attraction apart from the fact that it is into Oil and Gas servicing too, an area that is bound to boom!  I always think of the future of a company before doing my buying.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 5:38pm On Jan 10, 2008
NAIRALANDERS, HELP REQUIRED

1. HOW DO I GET MY REFUND CHEQUE FOR FIRST BANK IPO WITHOUT TRAVELLING TO NAIJA.

2. IF ANYONE GOT HOLD OF THE MTN PROSPECTUS - PLEASE HOOK ME UP

3. IS IT TOO MUCH ASKING MY STOCKBROKER TO PICK MY OCEANIC CERT OR LEAD CAPITAL JUST DEY FRONT
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:39pm On Jan 10, 2008
ololufemi:

@ Wanaj0,

I remeber sey una dey laugh me then.

But well said Wanaj0 or field Marshall as some people would refer to you. Make I oblige them before them go talk sey na only Fatherof2 I dey respect and I dey disrespect you.

Field Marshall Wanaj0, na nairalanders give you name oh,

You are absolutely correct, if you cannot swim, don't play near the tidal wave or ,

the higher the risk, the higher the return.

Be sure about your actions before you take them. Know evidently well that you are taking a risk.

A typical example is people buying Unity Bank in anticipation of a price surge due to impending PO. What if it now falls,

I leave you to answer.

No carry your ball go field if you know sey if them burst am, you go cry and your brother go beat you for house

Speculators are huge risk takers.

Olufemi, I laughed at you then but I know that you will learn. I also know that you are not a 'novice' in financial matters. I was not laughing at your misfortune but glad that you are learning a vital LESSON. PATIENCE. Imagine if that money was what you needed urgently?

My concern is that people are not tailoring their strategy to their risk profile. Also they don't have a contingency plan. For example, I got my school fees (N1m) but the tuition is not due in March and I was told of the hot stocks. Good, but what happens if things go wrong. Will I stop schooling??

People don't know how much losses some people make on the floor everyday. Which ever strategy you use, non is fool proof. Just make sure that it follows your risk profile. Got a guy who collected his mortgage and invested it in 'hot' UBA stock @ 14.00. Now that same UBA went as low as 6.00 within a short time. He almost died of hypertension. No house, no money!!!

Shared the experience of a guy who collected margin to buy WAPCO. With margin you know it is short term. Well, he bough at 75.00 hoping to exit at 100.00. Well, WAPCO went as low as 65.00. But do you know one thing, his risk appetite can take. He did not even bother to sell the WAPCo gain (one year) now. He even collected more margin facility. For most, they will land in the hospital immediately today. Was with the chap today and he was still all smiles. Still jovial with the wife. For most, the wife will automatically discover the change in the man she married!!!

When I sent price history since 2001, it was for people to understand what trend is all about so that they can filter out the distortions. We've had some distortions in the market which will soon clear out. People should take risk that fits their profile
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:40pm On Jan 10, 2008
Ije ngala:

Please share the logic of this recommendation apart from the price of NGC. The list is based on a 12-18 months outlook so I think NGC is not an expensive stock. I hope you know even Julius Berger doubled it's price in the last quarter of '07 alone.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 5:41pm On Jan 10, 2008
@ Risky,

If I have N1m now I will buy the following stocks because of the their fundamentals, and will have 12 - 18 months in mind:

Beta Glass
Diamond bank
Unic Insurance
First bank
Vitafoam
Nigerian German Chemicals
UBA

Why wait that long when it is not a trust fund. Used mine for FCMB and oceanic and made average of 34%. Reinvested in UBA and awaiting the outcome.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:42pm On Jan 10, 2008
aktopgun:

cheesy  cheesy  cheesy  cheesy

i can't stop laughing because of the goings on here honestly. what between strategys and "which stock should i buy" etc
i give up honestly. but honestly this isnt funny

while we are all entitled to our own opinions and ideas, there is the thing of being your brother's keeper.  we all want to be independent as much as possible but we shouldn't let our brothers "dive into a tidal wave" (nice one ololufemi) under the pretext that we are all entitled to our own opinions. Remember its money we are talking about here and that means lives, not only of the owner but his wife, his children, mother, father, etc. This is even worse in Nigeria where there's a lot of borrowed money at expensive interest rates in the market. why do u think people in more developed markets around the world commit suicide on account on crashes in their stock markets? I see such people in my outpatients clinic everyday, depressed and hopeless after losing everything. we dey play with lives here in the long run.

i can't say this enough and probably won't say it again before people take offence, investing is a plan that starts with a mental introspective look at yourself and your personality. what can u tolerate? are u an anxious kind of personality, do u have a patient outlook on investments? etc. all these are questions u need to ask yourself befroe u throw in your hard earned money. Chei i wish i could drum this home hard enough. i've heard people here say thjey are new to stock business and want to be recommended stock to throw money at, ha your hard earned cash? to trust persons recommendation wey u never meet before or know where he is coming from? na wa o! on a faceless forum with unidentifiable people? i can only hope they use the recommendatuions to develop a story around the stock and be able to tell themselves and anyone why they are buying the stock apart from saying wanajo, easimoni, FOF2 et pumping recommended them  cheesy  cheesy  cheesy

i am my brother's keeper

You be psychiatrist?  if i didnt know before now i knowgrin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.