Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,532 members, 7,850,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:38 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (818566 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by meetgiwa: 3:42pm On Jun 06, 2007
@BIGBOYLARY ,

thank you very much for ur respond to my request, i hav send you an email already.

thanks and stay bless
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:18pm On Jun 06, 2007
Allcorrect:

@dollyp

Soori bout that,

@ all
access isnt impressing piple but lets remove sentiments here, if its an avenue to make some dough then Y not. Personaly i have some units of access, i mite just buy a few units and sell off part of what i presently have. Might probably get to N23-N25 even with the poor EPS, every man knows what works for him or her.

But again u must be savvy on an issue as this one. Look at FBN, they are currently doing their PO, but can You believe they have released the Audited report for March 2007 in JUNE.

Normally the result doesnt come until end of July or August. So they have released it so that You and I will fly and buy their shares. They have not said what they will give but i think the result is fair, but the effect of the last year 1 for 1 will definitely be felt in this result.

Nigerains, we sure are smart. Lets make the dough while we can. The BULL is hot.

What you have in their prospectus is UN-AUDITED RESULT (Management account) for year ending March 2007. The audited result will be released in July/August.

The Bull run is caused mainly by the FDI's and the Pension fund money. Note however that there will always be a correction. Then if you are not holding fundamentally sound stocks, you will get your fingers burnt!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 4:29pm On Jun 06, 2007
WANAJ0,
Interesting point that you're making. Please suggest stocks that pass your litmus test since most stocks are getting overvalued and a correction is coming.
thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2007
Hi All,
This is the 12th day i sent an order to my broker for the sale of my Access bank shares and up till today i've not heard anything concret from them, they keep telling me that their are so many people on queue for thesame sales order and keep telling that it difficult to sell because its on technical suspension, i dont know if anybody have any contrary view about it
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 4:45pm On Jun 06, 2007
stanchuks:

Hi All,
This is the 12th day i sent an order to my broker for the sale of my Access bank shares and up till today i've not heard anything concret from them, they keep telling me that their are so many people on queue for thesame sales order and keep telling that it difficult to sell because its on technical suspension, i don't know if anybody have any contrary view about it
Thanks
It might be a good idea to hold now and sell shortly after PO finishes and relisting takes place. it will easily reach 22-25 naira. Anyway choice is yours. Perhaps sell some and keep some. PO is discounted ,however could take 4-6 months for certficate to get out.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:49pm On Jun 06, 2007
toyibanj:

WANAJ0,
Interesting point that you're making. Please suggest stocks that pass your litmus test since most stocks are getting overvalued and a correction is coming.
thanks

A lot depend on your investment philosophy, exit strategy, your age etc.

For me, I am buying Longman, Beta Glass, Diamond, Wapco and Wema. May and Baker is also being considered.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:52pm On Jun 06, 2007
stanchuks:

Hi All,
This is the 12th day i sent an order to my broker for the sale of my Access bank shares and up till today i've not heard anything concret from them, they keep telling me that their are so many people on queue for thesame sales order and keep telling that it difficult to sell because its on technical suspension, i don't know if anybody have any contrary view about it
Thanks

Which reasonable person will buy Access bank at the price that you intend to sell especially now that it is on Technical suspension. How I wish people get to undertsand that the prices of some stocks are moving based on the activities of the market maker/core investor. Once they move out of the way, you will be out and dry. That's why companies like Afro Oil, Wire and Cable, Afprint etc with no sign of productive activity are having price movement. Once the market maker stops the 'artifical' movemnet, try selling and see what will happen!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 4:59pm On Jun 06, 2007
wanaj0:

Which reasonable person will buy Access bank at the price that you intend to sell especially now that it is on Technical suspension. How I wish people get to undertsand that the prices of some stocks are moving based on the activities of the market maker/core investor. Once they move out of the way, you will be out and dry. That's why companies like Afro Oil, Wire and Cable, Afprint etc with no sign of productive activity are having price movement. Once the market maker stops the 'artifical' movemnet, try selling and see what will happen!

I love it when people on this thread have taken the time to investigate the shares they are buying at least to a certain degree, yet again i see a lot of people hoping to DOUBLE money asking for stock tip like no man's business.

People I hope y'all have your strategy and spend some time to read about the companies, it is your money you are investing not someone else's and the information is out there just search and by all means google away.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 5:01pm On Jun 06, 2007
wannajo are you now telling me to leave it or sell it for now.because i see it being traded upon in the market
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:04pm On Jun 06, 2007
stanchuks:

wannajo are you now telling me to leave it or sell it for now.because i see it being traded upon in the market

If you see a bigger FOOL that is willing to buy at market price, sell fast. I however doubt that. You may just have to hold on! Access above 12.00 to me is expensive.

Yes you see trades on the floor but they are mainly cross deals. Most are done below the market price!!!!!!!!!! That's part of the imperfections. Sometimes what you see is actually people merging their accounts together. That is people consolidating their holdings! No real trade. That's why your broker was unable to sell.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by moneybags: 6:52pm On Jun 06, 2007
@Frank and all the other gurus in the house:

Does anyone know when the technical suspension on IBTC and Afribank will be lifted?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 9:24pm On Jun 06, 2007
@ALL
STOCKS INFO

UBA introduces Diaspora share loan scheme: For people in uk,usa,canada,e.t.c,

1. Objective is to part finance the purchase of blue-chip stocks in the Nigerian Stock Exchange

2. The maximum single obligor limit is =N=60 Million while the minimum is =N=500,000:00.

3. Equity Contribution: Applicants are required to put down equity of 40% while the Bank provides 60% of the funds needed to acquire the shares.

4. The tenor is 12 months with a renewal option

5. Interest Rate: Interest rate is PLR (currently 17 percent)

6. Management fee: 2 % flat of the loan amount and payable upfront

7. The Equity Contribution and the Management Fee must be provided when applying.

8. Repayment: The principal and interest are due only at the end of the 12 months tenor or whenever the customer decides to liquidate the loan, whichever is earlier.

9. The Bank reserves the right to dispose of the shares if there is a 20 percent decline in the value of the customer’s shares or the portfolio, which was acquired using the loan. However, the customer will be informed and there is provision to put in additional equity.

10. The custody of the shares acquired remains with UBA Stockbrokers Limited during the tenor of the loan.

11. Under this scheme, the maximum exposure to any single company(stock) is 10 percent of market capitalization or =N=500 Million, whichever is lower.

PROCESSING

The SharePlus application form and other relevant documents are at NRN Banking Center. Processing and approval will be done at the NRN Banking Center.

The Product FAQ is provided below: PRODUCT NAME SharePlus Loan : Product Detail

You want to become an active player on the stock market but don’t have all the money and a stockbroker to manage your portfolio? SharePlus makes it possible

BENEFITS
Easy and speedy access to a loan that allows you to trade in the shares of blue chip companies as frequently as you wish for 12 months
Flexible repayment schedules
Loan renewal which facilitates continuous trading after the initial 12 months
Portfolio management by UBA Stockbrokers Limited

TARGET AUDIENCE
Members of the investing public who wish to create and grow wealth who may or may not be UBA customers

HOW TO APPLY
Complete a UBA Share Plus Application form and NRN Current Account Form
You will also be required to complete the Central Securities and Clearing System (CSCS) form
If the desired shares are being sold by a Public Offer or a Rights Issue, complete the forms specific to that offer stating UBA Stockbrokers Limited as your address and enclose them with the UBA Share Plus Application form
Submit all the forms to the Non-Resident-Nigerian Banking Centre. cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 8:01am On Jun 07, 2007
moneybags:

@Frank and all the other gurus in the house:

Does anyone know when the technical suspension on IBTC and Afribank will be lifted?
BIGBOYLARY:

@ALL
STOCKS INFO

UBA introduces Diaspora share loan scheme: For people in uk,usa,canada,e.t.c,

1. Objective is to part finance the purchase of blue-chip stocks in the Nigerian Stock Exchange

2. The maximum single obligor limit is =N=60 Million while the minimum is =N=500,000:00.

3. Equity Contribution: Applicants are required to put down equity of 40% while the Bank provides 60% of the funds needed to acquire the shares.

4. The tenor is 12 months with a renewal option

5. Interest Rate: Interest rate is PLR (currently 17 percent)

6. Management fee: 2 % flat of the loan amount and payable upfront

7. The Equity Contribution and the Management Fee must be provided when applying.

8. Repayment: The principal and interest are due only at the end of the 12 months tenor or whenever the customer decides to liquidate the loan, whichever is earlier.

9. The Bank reserves the right to dispose of the shares if there is a 20 percent decline in the value of the customer’s shares or the portfolio, which was acquired using the loan. However, the customer will be informed and there is provision to put in additional equity.

10. The custody of the shares acquired remains with UBA Stockbrokers Limited during the tenor of the loan.

11. Under this scheme, the maximum exposure to any single company(stock) is 10 percent of market capitalization or =N=500 Million, whichever is lower.

PROCESSING

The SharePlus application form and other relevant documents are at NRN Banking Center. Processing and approval will be done at the NRN Banking Center.

The Product FAQ is provided below: PRODUCT NAME SharePlus Loan : Product Detail

You want to become an active player on the stock market but don’t have all the money and a stockbroker to manage your portfolio? SharePlus makes it possible

BENEFITS
Easy and speedy access to a loan that allows you to trade in the shares of blue chip companies as frequently as you wish for 12 months
Flexible repayment schedules
Loan renewal which facilitates continuous trading after the initial 12 months
Portfolio management by UBA Stockbrokers Limited

TARGET AUDIENCE
Members of the investing public who wish to create and grow wealth who may or may not be UBA customers

HOW TO APPLY
Complete a UBA Share Plus Application form and NRN Current Account Form
You will also be required to complete the Central Securities and Clearing System (CSCS) form
If the desired shares are being sold by a Public Offer or a Rights Issue, complete the forms specific to that offer stating UBA Stockbrokers Limited as your address and enclose them with the UBA Share Plus Application form
Submit all the forms to the Non-Resident-Nigerian Banking Centre. cool cool cool

Can i get an address for this UBA share plus and can we that re here in Nigeria apply for this
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 10:17am On Jun 07, 2007
I noticed for the first time (this year) that Afroil dropped, I guess it's high time to check out? I bought it for 0.42 and it's some shade off #9 (about 2000%) abi wetin una say
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:42am On Jun 07, 2007
crazyT:

I noticed for the first time (this year) that Afroil dropped, I guess it's high time to check out? I bought it for 0.42 and it's some shade off #9 (about 2000%) abi wetin una say

Good try and sell some if not all and see what happens. I hope you bought up to 1million units there smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noble2007(m): 11:58am On Jun 07, 2007
@crazyT,

i don't tink it necessary to check out now,because sometime price do fall and pick -up again next day and sky-rocket.it has happened to me with my United Textile share,it dropped just for one day and i sold it only 4 it to stat rising d followin day til tomorrow it is stil rising in price and i'm regreting it.

So i wil advise u wait if it fall for three consecutive days or so u can den sell all or half.
The Max percentage decrement allowable per day is 5%.so there is stil some room for u to make money even if it fall consecutively for 3days.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by joshO: 12:54pm On Jun 07, 2007
On the Oceanic IPO, I won't hold my breath on Oceanic share certificates coming out anytime soon if the way they've handled the recent 1 for 4 bonus issue is anything to go by!

The 1 for 4 issue was announced in January, 6 months later, they are yet to pay that or the dividends  . Or I'm I missing something?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2007
joshO:

On the Oceanic IPO, I won't hold my breath on Oceanic share certificates coming out anytime soon if the way they've handled the recent 1 for 4 bonus issue is anything to go by!

The 1 for 4 issue was announced in January, 6 months later, they are yet to pay that or the dividends . Or I'm I missing something?

Oceanic dividend already paid.

Certficates always take a long time. Even with teh e-bonus by First Bank, CSCS accounts were not credited until about 6 months down the line!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 2:53pm On Jun 07, 2007
i think i need to re-evaluate my porfolio,
with all the gist on acces bank and cornerstone insurance,
BPR has to come inplace,
@bigboylary,
thank you very much for all ur info,
really do appreciate them all,

every time, i calculate my portfolio, i always get the same result and i hv not sold a stock since 2005,
pls what could be the cause of this issue.
thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by diva4eva(f): 4:17pm On Jun 07, 2007
hello peeps
Pls whats the gist on cornerstone insurance? why was the price suspended for 3 days. it seems cornerstone is not really going to do well anytime soon. pls any news on corenerstone insurance would be highly appreciated
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Allcorrect(m): 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2007
@tmoni

I am surprsised u are saying this, U mean since 2005 Unless ur calculator has a problem. Canu name 3 stocks that u bought in 2005 and tell us ow much it cost then and the price now. Unless u are definetely being ripped off. Even FBN was less than 30 in 2005, so tell usUBN was less than 27 in 2005, Zenith was doing 15 and GTB was doing like 13.

Unless it isnt the Nigerian stock market.

@josh
The 1 for 4 issue was announced in January, 6 months later, they are yet to pay that or the dividends Huh. Or I'm I missing something?

I got my div from oceanic in Feb. The cert are yet to be sent.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mimiye(f): 4:40pm On Jun 07, 2007
I just joined this forum because of how informative it has been to me especially on the issue of buying and selling stocks.
Right now I am seeking to buy Nestle Nig shares. Please can anyone analyse the benefits and disadvantages and the best time and rate to venture
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Olonzo: 4:45pm On Jun 07, 2007
Just joining the forum but have always followed the tread, and i have found it very informative and of high pedigre.

Quick question for the gurus,

I am thinking of selling my vitafoam shares so i can increase my capital for 1st banks offer (of which i have rights issue). I have not made much returns on the vitafoam (bought at N5.15 and currently N6.6) and am a bit sceptical as per its outlook. Should I go on with this strategy or should i hold and get funds from elsewhere.

Any advice would be Ace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by meetgiwa: 5:37pm On Jun 07, 2007
@easimoni,

are u a broker?, i like all ur post, if u dont mind, can u give me ur email address or ur phone nos.

will be very greateful if my request is favourable considered.

hope to hear from u soonest.

thx.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 5:50pm On Jun 07, 2007
wanaj0:

Oceanic dividend already paid.

Certficates always take a long time. Even with the e-bonus by First Bank, CSCS accounts were not credited until about 6 months down the line!

i thought that firstbank po , i mean the latest one is the first time that the e-allotment of cert would be done .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:01pm On Jun 07, 2007
mimiye:

I just joined this forum because of how informative it has been to me especially on the issue of buying and selling stocks.
Right now I am seeking to buy Nestle Nig shares. Please can anyone analyse the benefits and disadvantages and the best time and rate to venture

Nestle has become the classic "value stock": very low growth rate (10-30% p.a, vs 60-100+% for most banks) but pays v good dividends (div. yield of almost 4% is good for a blue-chip in today's NSE). If you are looking for long-term stability and great dividends, buy Nestle at today's price. If you have the liver to make money backing a "growth stock", read up on this thread and others. Lot's of good advice available there. I'm deep into Wema, Wapco and Skye. Other buys on this thread include Beta Glass, Longman, & GTBank.

good luck.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:09pm On Jun 07, 2007
diva4eva:

hello peeps
Please whats the gist on cornerstone insurance? why was the price suspended for 3 days. it seems cornerstone is not really going to do well anytime soon. please any news on corenerstone insurance would be highly appreciated

Cornerstone was not suspended and has started to inch downwards in the last 2 days. Most people missed the news when additional shares (now 5B from 1.9B) were listed a few weeks ago. That has seriously altered the fundamentals and the PE is now 105! If they don't release some amazing results soon (the full year 2006 results are due any day now), the bottom could fall out on this stock. And I don't see much room appreciation at this PE. embarassed

Another reason why you should say no to POs or stocks that have just done POs.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 7:19pm On Jun 07, 2007
@allcorrect,

maybe i did not put the query right,

i think i mean since the begining of this year, i.e at a point dangote=54, zenith=38

just keeps me wondering,

UBA is so slack, the price tumbling like a pack of wet cards,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 8:40pm On Jun 07, 2007
@ Stanchuks

You can contact them at:the NRN Banking Centre on +234 1 270 4494 or +234 1 280 0088, the interest rate is 17%.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mimiye(f): 9:53pm On Jun 07, 2007
easimoni,
thanks a lot for the advice. Long term stability is what I'm looking for.
Is there a possibility that Nestle will dip to 180 or less?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by moneybags: 10:41pm On Jun 07, 2007
easimoni:

Cornerstone was not suspended and has started to inch downwards in the last 2 days. Most people missed the news when additional shares (now 5B from 1.9B) were listed a few weeks ago.

This is not news. They actually stated in their prospectus during their PO that post offer shares would be 5.09bill or thereabout. 51% of those shares are owned by one Private Equity firm and are therefore not tradable per say, since there is a lock-up period of 10years. Besides, most other insurance firms have shares outstanding in the same range -- for instance, Mbenefit has over 6bill outstanding and only 25% of that is held by a single private equity investor. So I don't think that the number of shares is a reason to stay away from Cornerstone

just my 2 cents
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 10:49pm On Jun 07, 2007
caution must be taking on the so called UBA SHARE LOAN PLUS,
it looks more like a trap than a loan.
17% interest on loan,2% upfront.brokers,sec,cscs,stamp duty,vat on comm %s.
u cant buy ipo,not free to select your stocks rather some assigned brokers will be doing it for u and are allowed to sell off if the stocks goes down 20%.
100% one- sided deal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.