Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815868 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 2:51pm On May 29, 2007
Enolase
Who are the reputable stock analyst in Nigeria? Many of the brokerage firm i find don't have a strong analytical team. Most are after commission made on trades. Some recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:22pm On May 29, 2007
toyibanj:

Enolase
Who are the reputable stock analyst in Nigeria? Many of the brokerage firm i find don't have a strong analytical team. Most are after commission made on trades. Some recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Allow me to vote for IBTC. They provide flawless research on their website. Dunno about customer service though. I've seen Zenith touting some strong technical analysis on the proshare website. I don't see such analysis on the Zenith website!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 3:35pm On May 29, 2007
@ Easimoni & Toyinbanj,

I have an experience with Zenith, and i can say their reports are good.
I have a friend with IBTC, and i have seen some of their reports as well - i would say on par with Zenith report. However, if we are voting, IBTC might win hands down due to the reputation they have already and the wealth of loaded customers they have, And, the Minimum is 10M - except if they have waivers.
BGL, i heard also have good analysts - but i haven't personally seen any of their reports and Minimum is 1M.

If you want to look at some of the middle players, check out Afrinvest - they have a fantastic reports, i was well impressed with the quality and professionalism, Minimum is 500K
Cashcraft, one of my friend had a poor experience with them - and the kind of person i am, you do not have to tell me twice ;-)

All, the stockbroking firm mentioned above have an online presence - and you should be able to choose among those,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 5:06pm On May 29, 2007
@Enolase,  That's the crap Naija is going through because there're no market makers.  It's straight BS limiting the ability to trade a stock based on who decides to sell. Let MM be introduced, the stock hoarders could go ahead and shove it.
By the way, I believe folks had mentioned that if you fine tune your investment  advisory approach, there'd be gazillion people waiting in line to join. Me included.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 10:33pm On May 29, 2007
ok
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:43pm On May 29, 2007
honeric01:

how true is this, diamond bank has a type of an account called disa whereby the amount of money you deposit in your account for a period of 1 year will yield interest of 50%, that means if you have 1 million in there, exactly 1 year, you will be having 1.5million, how true is that?
I
honeric01 link=topic=31554.msg1153215#msg1153215 date=1180425092:

how true is this, diamond bank has a type of an account called disa whereby the amount of money you deposit in your account for a period of 1 year will yield interest of 50%, that means if you have 1 million in there, exactly 1 year, you will be having 1.5million, how true is that?
It is not true
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:03am On May 30, 2007
honeric01:

@honeric
DISA means Diamond Integrated Savings Account. It means that it is a current and savings account all into one. You can pay in cheques and you have a cheque book but the cheque book cannot be presented through clearing. This means that you can't pay in a DISA cheque into an account. You can only issue the cheque to someone who will present it at the counter. Plus you are not charged C.O.T.I use a DISA account so i should know. Maybe who have a wrong package or bank.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 12:12am On May 30, 2007
hi pals, i heard access bank is on the verge of coming into the market within weeks, my question is for existin access bank shareholders, how good is their shares? my bro bought zenith shares a year ago at 16+naire and he sold it for 50 thru his agent. will access be that good? i ave oceanic nd first bank right nw but oceanic is still stagnant. why is it so?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 12:20am On May 30, 2007
@cheexy, i didn't get ur point. the customer care lady at opebi branch was the one that told me abt the 50per rise within 1yr. infact when i opened my own, i wasnt given anything, nt even a cheque book so how i wonder how i'm going to access my account without any materials
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:24am On May 30, 2007
honeric01:

hi pals, i heard access bank is on the verge of coming into the market within weeks, my question is for existin access bank shareholders, how good is their shares? my bro bought zenith shares a year ago at 16+naire and he sold it for 50 through his agent. will access be that good? i ave oceanic nd first bank right nw but oceanic is still stagnant. why is it so?
Oceanic bank stock had been on technical suspension to enable them sort out the issues of the public offer. It was lifted last week so you should see changes in its price soon. Don't have info on access bank.
honeric01:

@cheexy, i didn't get your point. the customer care lady at opebi branch was the one that told me about the 50per rise within 1yr. infact when i opened my own, i wasnt given anything, nt even a cheque book so how i wonder how i'm going to access my account without any materials

Are you sure it is DISA? I have not seen any 50% rise in my account o
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 1:00am On May 30, 2007
yes i am sure. its nt xpress, nor dtap, neither is it any oda, its disa. wen u opened yours, wat were u given? and when was that?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by otokx(m): 4:22pm On May 30, 2007
I heard cashcraft has a lot of shell workers as clients but really I have not been impressed by the rate of their online correspondence.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by senetee(m): 4:52pm On May 30, 2007
@Easimoni

thanks for the CSCS and the 1st Bank Shares return tips. May your fountain of knwlegde continue to grow. Big up to all contributors on this thread. Has been very informative.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by senetee(m): 4:56pm On May 30, 2007
@SavvyLanre
           How does one engage the services of Afrinvest? Where are they located?
           BTW, were they formally known as sectrust? Merci.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:25pm On May 30, 2007
The Directors of Intercontinental bank have just announced that the PO raised over N95b making them the most capitalised Bank at the moment.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:31pm On May 30, 2007
@ egoldman
Your spread on the charges prior to the reduction incorporates only the previous minimum charge. Before the change brokers were allowed to charge between 1% to 2.75% graduated according to the level of the transactions involved.
So for low volume transactions the charges may still not be as low as you think.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 5:52pm On May 30, 2007
I see kiss
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:05pm On May 30, 2007
This spread was culled from Proshare
Old Charges New Charges

Buy Charges Buy Charges

SEC Fee 1% SEC Fee 0.6%
Commission 2.75 %( graduated) Commission 1.575 %( graduated)
Stamp Duty 0.075% Stamp Duty 0.075%
VAT 0.1375% VAT 0%
NSE Fee 0% NSE Fee 0%
CSCS 0.1% CSCS 0.105%
Vat on CSCS 0.005% Vat on CSCS 0%
4.0675% 2.355%

Sell Charges Sell Charges

SEC Fee 0% SEC Fee 0%
Commission 2.75%(graduated) Commission 1.5750%(graduated)
Stamp Duty 0.075% Stamp Duty 0.075%
VAT 0.1375% VAT 0%
NSE Fee 0.65% NSE Fee 0.5250%
CSCS 0.45% CSCS 0.4725%
VAT on NSE 0.0325% VAT on NSE 0%
4.095% 2.6475%

The new charges will take effect from April 23 2007.

Cashcraft Asset Management Limited
ForeshAore Towers (7th floor)
2A, Osborne Road
Ikoyi - Lagos
www.cashcraft.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 6:18pm On May 30, 2007
senetee:

@SavvyLanre
How does one engage the services of Afrinvest? Where are they located?
BTW, were they formally known as sectrust? Merci.
@ Senetee
Yes, they used to be SecTrust,

Check out their website - www.afrinvestwa.com

Lagos Office

11/12th Floor, Foreshore Towers, 2A Osborne Road, Ikoyi, Lagos

T : +234 1 270 1680-8
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kanugab(m): 7:05pm On May 30, 2007
Our gurus pls advise,

I have small fidelity bank shares thats not doin good at all. I feel like sell it off and buy oceanic b4 it escalates. Candid opinion
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enolase(m): 7:21pm On May 30, 2007
kanugab:

Our gurus please advise,

I have small fidelity bank shares thats not doin good at all. I feel like sell it off and buy oceanic before it escalates. Candid opinion

This is another case of sentiments getting the better of an investor. If you sell this stock now, you will be crying in the next two months. Quote me!

Oceanic? Buy if you can, but I tell you that it will be easier to fetch water with a basket than to buy Oceanic bank now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 11:42pm On May 30, 2007
any news on the just concluded PO,
called my brokers and i was told story story,
i guess i rely on this site more
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 6:08pm On May 31, 2007
Tmoni:

any news on the just concluded PO,
called my brokers and i was told story story,
i guess i rely on this site more

What exactly is the news you want to hear?
I have a feeling you sleep with one eye open to watch your investment, the PO barely closed about 2 months, experienced gurus have said it will take from 5-7 months even with the electronic certificate, furthermore someone has answered on this thread that over subscription will be absorbed (how true that is me no know).

No wonder your brokers are giving you stories, it's because you have itching ears grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:42pm On May 31, 2007
dollyp1cute:

No wonder your brokers are giving you stories, it's because you have itching ears grin
grin cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Egavlas(m): 9:59pm On May 31, 2007
enolose:

Cheexy,

Skye Bank shares are too hot in the market now and are not available.

There are some things you need to know.

Shares are not warehoused. For shares to be available, you have to have people who are willing to sell.

Once no one is willing to sell, the stock is unavailable. Of course, when an investor sees that his stock has great potential for capital appreciation, what reason does he have to sell? ABSOLUTELY NONE!

That is why you need an analyst to tell you when to get into a stock in good time before the institutional investors come and clear it all up on the floor.

If you wait for the results (quarterly or full year) of a company to be released before you decide to enter a stock, then you are too late!

Good stock analysts can read the handwriting on the wall WELL AHEAD OF TIME so as to better advice on a stock pick. In essence, you have to make hay while the sun shines.

Cheers.

You are right. Two weeks ago , I went to my broker and asked him to buy Skyebank and Ecobank shares for me from my account with them. This was when both shares were at 7.15 , 7.30 . He asked me why I would want to buy those shares and I told him that I belived the two shares were not at their peak prices and that going by what I saw with Skyebank, that it was going to appreciate.He went ahead and bought them for me and now, whenever I call, he picks my call immediately and pays me a lot of attention. This is because, the same thing happened with some other info I gave on some shares that turned out true. I am not an experienced hand in investing but there are somethings that one can put two and two together and add up.
I must confess that our stock brokers don't think for us and really don't do the work that they ought to. Some other stock broker who is just a friend, was really sad for me for leaving other "better" shares to go for Skyebank and Ecobank.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wham(m): 10:23pm On May 31, 2007
[size=16pt]You Don't Have to be Rich to INVEST IN SHARES AND MAKE MONEY [/size] by Kingsley O. Ologe.
Thats the title of Nigeria's No1 book on investing in the Nigerian capital market.

For all of you in-house members interested in shares, just text "SHARES BOOK" to 08057999508 to receive the details on how to order this book(Mail order).

The book is available in Major bookstores in Abuja. It's yet to be available in Major bookstores and postoffices nationwide.

This book is very comprensive and easy to read. It would make all those big-big grammer they blow on the stock analysis pages of the dailies sound more like English

All you need to know about investing in the Capital Market in one book.

Call me on [size=16pt]08057999508[/size] for more details
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tolulope01(f): 11:12pm On May 31, 2007
@ enolase
thanks for d info on doctor/stockbroker debate, your advice made a lot of sense,
pls does anyone konw a broker that will at least respond to me even if i want to invest, like say a meagre 10000 in the secondary market, i dont want to hide under the cover of 'i dont have enuf money to trade' as an excuse not to cash in the booming stock market of today
any adress or number will be welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 12:26am On Jun 01, 2007
@dollypcute,
N1 change in the stock price of any security i own goes a long way in determining what my portfolio is worth so i always hv to get a rough idea of what next to do.
eg, if oceanic doubles the PO price, i make about N3m, so every naira gained or lost is golden
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ijogbon(m): 12:44am On Jun 01, 2007
This Tmoni sef? N3m from Oceanic again shocked lol
Anyways, I have been trying to find you online since you let drop that you were 'studying project management' somewhere on this forum. Howz it going? Thinking of taking the certification myself. Hook me up on your email, mine is dunhayes@yahoo.com.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 12:41pm On Jun 01, 2007
Tmoni:

@dollypcute,
N1 change in the stock price of any security i own goes a long way in determining what my portfolio is worth so i always hv to get a rough idea of what next to do.
eg, if oceanic doubles the PO price, i make about N3m, so every naira gained or lost is golden
Tmoni you are trying me o shocked shocked shocked N3m kilode, is it only you, you made like N1m for access you should have enough money by now to retire. Please move and let us thousandnaires make some dosh.

How much are you staking in 1st bank?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 1:21pm On Jun 01, 2007
my dearest people, at least it is legitimate money,

no EFCC to be scared off,

whats in the market today?

life goes on
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 1:21pm On Jun 01, 2007
cheesy - you guys make me laugh,

Tmoni and Dollyp1cute - if you guys are not already married, you would make a perfect couple.

@everyone - what do you think.

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.