Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,350 members, 7,846,519 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (361) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817948 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 6:39pm On Jan 21, 2008
afamako:

@Wanaj0

I was just thinking of a different way to approach this MTN thing, since MTN Nigeria is responsible for 40% MTN Group's profits and are currently trading at about 420Rand ($59.xx) on the SA exchange, does it make some sense to use 40% of this list price as a guide to MTNN value? This translates to about $24, in which case there isn't a discount. Responses welcome from all.

Quick answer to your question is: NO. MTN Nigeria has far higher growth prospects than MTNI and operates in a very different market. Unlike MTNI which operates in a more mature market. Valuation should therefore be different.

Don't have time to post now but will post my analysis on MTN Nigeria tomorrow or thereabout. Needless to say, it's a very very solid offer at $24.56 (which is the offer price, and also the price at which IBTC is offering it). In my opinion, 3 years is worth the wait for this.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 6:42pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Yodiyokun, LOL!!! okunrin meta in this my petite 5ft 2in frame weighing in at 59kg? I no sabi o. Chei, you too funny sha! cheesy cheesy cheesy i've missed you guys! Will be posting later this week as my schedule might free up some more then.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by helpme1: 6:47pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ALL MY GURUS
I ABEG ANSWER ME
What is the meaning if a stock is on pending?I told my
broker she should sell Intercon.bank for me last week,but she
is telling that it is on pending since last week thursday,I gave her a mandate @40.50,
but the price for today is below 40.My guru in the house,can you
show me light.I hope the NSE will not sell it below N40.50 for me
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 6:50pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Wanaj0

Thanks

@Windywendy

Don't have time to post now but will post my analysis on MTN Nigeria tomorrow or thereabout. Needless to say, it's a very very solid offer at $24.56 (which is the offer price, and also the price at which IBTC is offering it). In my opinion, 3 years is worth the wait for this.

Thanks too, will wait to see your analysis before making my mind up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:51pm On Jan 21, 2008
windywendy:

@Yodiyokun, LOL!!! okunrin meta in this my petite 5ft 2in frame weighing in at 59kg? I no sabi o. Chei, you too funny sha! cheesy cheesy cheesy i've missed you guys! Will be posting later this week as my schedule might free up some more then.

What's  that saying again? Size does not matter! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Men are in sizes life is in phases cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dokun23: 6:57pm On Jan 21, 2008
HOW CAN NAHCO BE 678% OVERSUBSCRIBED?HuhHuhHuhHuh??
na wa,wetin them dey sell.e be like say nigerians just they pump money to any ipo wey dey floor
i hope aiico wont be like that.all this ipo no worth make person tie money down again.
babaof 2abeg wetin dey drive this eqiuty assurance and japaul wey them dey run.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Favour08(m): 6:57pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ ALL
Does anyone have the bid/offer status as of the end of today's trading day.
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kauskey(m): 6:59pm On Jan 21, 2008
NSE BID/OFFER Positon of selected stocks at close of trading on 21 January 2008

Demand                                Supply
INTBREW 14.02m               FIRSTINLND    10.95m
AIICO 62.39m                    WEMABANK    27.69m
ECOBANK 14.40m            
PLATINUM 10.42m            
ZENITHBANK 9.65m            
CHEVRON 5.03m            
JAPAULOIL 5.81m            
SKYEBANK 9.51m            
CAPOIL 2.30m            
DEAPCAP 4.51m            
EQUITYASUR 38.10m                      
COSTAIN 3.16m            
BIGTREAT 5.72m            
NSLTECH 1.13m            
UNTL 5.74m
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoanBroker: 7:14pm On Jan 21, 2008
@MyPeace,

Thanks my sister. I will get my bank to write them a letter. Lol.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoanBroker: 7:18pm On Jan 21, 2008
kauskey:

NSE BID/OFFER Positon of selected stocks at close of trading on 21 January 2008

Demand Supply
INTBREW 14.02m FIRSTINLND 10.95m
AIICO 62.39m WEMABANK 27.69m
ECOBANK 14.40m
PLATINUM 10.42m
ZENITHBANK 9.65m
CHEVRON 5.03m
JAPAULOIL 5.81m
SKYEBANK 9.51m
CAPOIL 2.30m
DEAPCAP 4.51m
EQUITYASUR 38.10m
COSTAIN 3.16m
BIGTREAT 5.72m
NSLTECH 1.13m
UNTL 5.74m

@All especially Easimoni and Pumping777, I don't understand the offer/bid figures. How does it help me in selecting stocks?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 7:32pm On Jan 21, 2008
Just a little spice before pple return from nations cup.

-Warren Buffets top ten investment tips

1. Invest in Value:

Warren Buffett always looks to get $1 for 75 cents. That is true whether the business is as boring as shoes or furniture manufacture, or as complex as insurance. He has invested in all these. He works by analysing a company’s accounts in the manner recommended by Ben Graham, the father of investment analysis. If a company was sitting on property worth $100 million, had cash of $50 million and other assets saleable at $50 million, but was only valued by the market at $175 million, then that firm would be worth a closer look.

2. Look for the Business Franchise:

Businesses that work really well over the long-term don’t just build a better mousetrap, they own the patent. A unique asset, like a 100-year title to a rich mineral coal seam close to a steel mill, an airport site by a big city, or a powerful brand like Coca-Cola are all enduring franchises. These companies don’t need to fight on price to get business. They have an unfair advantage. The opposite of franchises are commodity businesses. There are millions of them, and what they all have in common is that they have to trade on price because they face effective competition.

3. Buy Good Businesses:

This sounds obvious, but isn’t. By Buffett’s yardstick, a good business is one with a high real return on invested capital, rather than with good headline earnings growth. Those returns should be measurable in cash terms. Dividends are a good indicator that cash is available.

4. Avoid Firms that run for short term:

Too many firms have managers who think short-term and act that way. Buffett hates businesses where boardroom insiders sold into temporary market strength or expanded the company through over-priced acquisitions.

5. Patience is a virtue:

Having the patience to wait for incredible bargains is a discipline Buffett has used time and again. Market mis-pricing comes around with regularity. Professional fund managers are often under too much pressure to act to be appearing to do nothing, but the small investor can wait without anyone looking over his or her shoulder. My guess is that Warren Buffett would be keeping a keen eye on how incredibly cheap some British banks have become in the recent market falls.

6. Buy Businesses with free cash:

Buffett has many times bought into companies that have a huge amount of under-used cash sitting on the balance sheet and then used that to purchase other firms. In John Train’s book on Buffett, The Midas Touch, he describes how Buffett bought the firm Blue Chips Stamps in 1968 and used the stock of stamps sitting on the balance sheet to turn into cash which he then used to Buy See’s Candies and the Buffalo Evening News. These last two buys came at no capital cost to Buffett himself.

7. Keep it simple:

Buffett avoids meetings, has no acquisitions department and has a modest personal staff. He doesn’t subscribe to investment fashions, or jargon-laden approaches. For Warren Buffett, investment doesn’t have to be dressed up to work. It makes money in its shirtsleeves.

8. Keep cutting costs:

Cost-cutting and an almost skinflint approach to overheads mark Warren Buffett out from others. This is reflected in his personal life. He still lives in the same modest house he bought in 1958 for $31,000 and drives a very ordinary car. His own salary is only $100,000 a year, which is about a tenth what the typical chief executive of a similar-sized firm might be paid.

9. Understand the figures:

Thinking like an accountant is a pre-requisite for investing like Warren Buffett. He can really get to grips with a corporate engine room, and home in on the machinery which is vital to the generation of profits. Only by doing so can you understand the difference between so-so companies, good ones and great ones.

[size=14pt]10. Make money while you sleep:[/size]

Buffett works hard, but he’s not a workaholic. Having used simple ground rules to ensure that he knows he’s only taking a low level of risk and will be in for the long-term, he’s an investor who can sleep soundly and ignore the panicky movements of the markets.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by helpme1: 7:36pm On Jan 21, 2008
@
ALL GURUS
WETIN I DO 4 UNA,HELP ME OUT

is telling that it is on pending since last week thursday,I gave her a mandate @40.50,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 7:45pm On Jan 21, 2008
@Help me

show me light.I hope the NSE will not sell it below  N40.50 for me

The gurus dey watch football and I heard Ivory coast is trashing us.

Anyway, the most probable meaning of "pending" is that they have not been able to execute your trade at the N40.50 you requested so until the the price goes high enough, na pending e go dey o.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kevyngbash(m): 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2008
help me:

@
ALL GURUS

You asked her to sell at N40.50 or didnt you?. The price has not gotten to that level yet. So your order will be pending. If Intercontinental reach N40.50 and she no sell am, na then u go complain. Abi pending get 2 mean meanings? grin angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drdaniel(m): 8:03pm On Jan 21, 2008
Fellow Nigerians
We ve just lost our first match to Ivory Coast.
Our coach was a major decider with some poor substttutions
Make una pray o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 8:16pm On Jan 21, 2008
@drdaniel, what has cote d ivoire beating us got to do with the price of first bank? or will the eagles loss stop me from getting another 5% from japaul oil tomorrow?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by helpme1: 8:19pm On Jan 21, 2008
kevyngbash:

You asked her to sell at N40.50 or didnt you?. The price has not gotten to that level yet. So your order will be pending. If Intercontinental reach N40.50 and she no sell am, na then u go complain. Abi pending get 2 mean meanings? grin angry
afamako:

@Help me

The gurus dey watch football and I heard Ivory coast is trashing us.

Anyway, the most probable meaning of "pending" is that they have not been able to execute your trade at the N40.50 you requested so until the the price goes high enough, na pending e go dey o.

@kevyngbash
The price was even above N40.50,it was N40.90(last friday) on NSE,she was telling me the stock is still on pending,and the price have dropped to 39.55 today.I gave her a mandate of N40.50, because i dont know before the NSE lift it from pending,may be na N30.Help me the gurus.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:24pm On Jan 21, 2008
invisible!:

@drdaniel, what has cote d ivoire beating us got to do with the price of first bank? or will the eagles loss stop me from getting another 5% from japaul oil tomorrow?

Leave drdaniel o! Some of us (in diaspora) have no way to watch the match. Thanks for the newsflash.

LoanBroker:

@All especially Easimoni and Pumping777, I don't understand the offer/bid figures. How does it help me in selecting stocks?

High bid figure means there are a lot of people waiting to buy. Means the price is likely to head north until the demand is satisfied. The bid/offer will have to be high relative to the daily volume for it to make a difference.

For example, if a stock has a net bid of 10M but trades 1M daily, it'll take ten days to satisfy the demand. Means the price should rise for ten straight days. By the time the price rises for 3 days, some people will renege on the buy order and walk away, some people will see the 3 days of gains as an opportunity to sell. By the 4th day, the price'll start to drop as they'll ge into a net offer position.

Use it a short-term indicator, it has no use outside 1 or 2 days.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ easimoni, sent u a mail last week. hope u git it smiley
@ easimoni, do u think first bank is good im considering it but im not sure wether to get first bank or more UBA. pls holla
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 8:32pm On Jan 21, 2008
easimoni:

Leave drdaniel o! Some of us (in diaspora) have no way to watch the match. Thanks for the newsflash.

High bid figure means there are a lot of people waiting to buy. Means the price is likely to head north until the demand is satisfied. The bid/offer will have to be high relative to the daily volume for it to make a difference.

For example, if a stock has a net bid of 10M but trades 1M daily, it'll take ten days to satisfy the demand. Means the price should rise for ten straight days. By the time the price rises for 3 days, some people will renege on the buy order and walk away, some people will see the 3 days of gains as an opportunity to sell. By the 4th day, the price'll start to drop as they'll ge into a net offer position.

Use it a short-term indicator, it has no use outside 1 or 2 days.

Kai easimoni! e-a-si-m-o-n-i! you see that beautiful expalanation. That is stock prediction made easy.

You too much. That is what will make a difference in your own book. It is simplified.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawtycoon: 8:35pm On Jan 21, 2008
help me:

@
ALL GURUS

I dont understand your own case,probably you have 1m units to sell and if not,
the gurus will help you out.I need info on Dunlop.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawtycoon: 8:36pm On Jan 21, 2008
I don't understand your own case,probably you have 1m units to sell and if not,
the gurus will help you out.I need info on Dunlop.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:37pm On Jan 21, 2008
windywendy:

Quick answer to your question is: NO. MTN Nigeria has far higher growth prospects than MTNI and operates in a very different market. Unlike MTNI which operates in a more mature market. Valuation should therefore be different.

From what i can make out from this investment vehicle it looks a bit like a unit trust where the $24.95 entitles an investor to a number of units which is part of a bigger 'pool' and the dividends accruable to each investor is in proportion to the units you have. Remember that the profits attributable MTN Nigeria  out of which dividends will be paid(after admin costs and fees)  is transferred to IBTC nominee account or company which acts on behalf of the investors(this structure is like a unit trust and i think they call it mutual funds in naija. The nominee structure is the reason why no shareholder will be issued a certificate in the first 3 years   because everything will be owned IBTC Asset Management nominee account or company and all dividends will now be transferred to individual shareholders in the 'pool' or unit trust. Your shareholding is represented by the units you own

A unit trust and OEIC(open ended investment company) are very similar except that for unit trust it has a specific period of time for which it should operate(closed funds) which is why the nominee investment vehicle by IBTC Asset Management will be for 3 years. You can however liquidate your units by selling and your returns net of admin fees and expenses paid to you. After the 3-year period the  unit trust or nominee structure now becomes an IT(Investment Trust) which is the exit SPV in which all the unit holders will become shareholders of the exit SPV the difference here is that the unit trust has now become an open ended investment company(OEIC) or IT and hopefully your units are worth many times more!

If you want to cut and run after 3 years(assuming you have made more money than sense) IBTC Asset Management nominee structure will be happy to buy your units from you  at the market price or if you want to carry on your units  simply qualifies you to  become a shareholder in the exit SPV or IT and carry on collecting your  FAT dividends!

MTN Nigeria gross revenue half-year june '07 is N173B(i think this is a cash cow!) and forward  EPS has been estimated N12.89 by proshareng.com

Half-year operating expenses is about N65B(38% of gross revenue) that gives a gross profit before taxes of around N108B and if expenses before interest, taxes etc(EBITDA) is around 58% margin according to proshareng.com so PAT for half-year '07 comes in at around N46B annualized gives a forward PAT for full-year '07 as N92B! pleae tell me am so so wrong!

Is it possible that MTN Nigeria will be making this kind of money from a subscriber base of about 14M?

If you need to learn about unit trusts and OEIC's please visit http://www.trustnet.com/help/ut/?rtype=2
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:42pm On Jan 21, 2008
help me:

@kevyngbash
The price was even above N40.50,it was N40.90(last friday) on NSE,she was telling me the stock is still on pending,and the price have dropped to 39.55 today.I gave her a mandate of N40.50, because i don't know before the NSE lift it from pending,may be na N30.Help me the gurus.

Leave the NSE out of it, they've done nothing to your shares. The NSE did not put your stock on "pending", your broker has been unable to sell, hence your sell instruction is "pending" execution. Capisce? If you want to sell immediately, give your broker permission to sell "without limits". I'd generally advise against such, but you sound desperate.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 8:50pm On Jan 21, 2008
help me:

@kevyngbash
The price was even above N40.50,it was N40.90(last friday) on NSE,she was telling me the stock is still on pending,and the price have dropped to 39.55 today.I gave her a mandate of N40.50, because i don't know before the NSE lift it from pending,may be na N30.Help me the gurus.

@ Help Me - I will assume that you bought the stock at a low price (your entry point) and now intend to sell at a higher price, which you have hopefully predetermined (your exit point). If for example you bought this during their last public offer, then you have made well over 100% and should therefore readjust your exit price if you don't want to lose out entirely. For each day that you don't readjust your exit price lower, since the stock is currently shedding weight, you will have to wait much longer for the stock to rally back to your initial exit price of N40.

So long as you have made decent gains (over and above commission charges) you should be happy to exit lower. I would suggest you set your exit price tonight by email or first thing tomorrow before trading starts at a minimum of N39.

Hope this helps
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:52pm On Jan 21, 2008
shigidi:

@ easimoni, sent u a mail last week. hope u git it smiley
@ easimoni, do u think first bank is good im considering it but im not sure wether to get first bank or more UBA. please holla

Got the email, just responded.

I'm all for UBA at the moment. I know FBN's 9 mo result is due soon but I've never been a fan. It may be the impetus the stock needs but UAB is sooooo much cheaper at the moment.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 8:53pm On Jan 21, 2008
I have a problem here, a very easy looking problem, but may cause a big problem later. My stock broker has been double buying stocks for me. By this I mean he either knowingly or unknowingly executes my buy orders twice.

Today, I got a trade alert for 20000 units of FBN. I  had given them orders to buy last thursday, which they bought at 42.90, today they bought another 20000 units at 42.30. What do you guys suggest I do? I have not enough money in my account to cover this purchase.

Last time this same thing happened with Diamond bank, I had to put in more money to put my account in credit.

Do you ppl think this is bad, will they go on and charge me interest if I dont pay in money to credit my account?

Has anybody experienced this before?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 8:56pm On Jan 21, 2008
easimoni:

@easimoni and all other US based readers, u could have watched the match live on NTA Intl, that and other african cup matches

http://www.jumptv.com/en/channel/NigerianTelevisionAuthority/

it'll only work for those in the US, you also have to register for free.
for other countries, it'll just show ads

couple other free channels for US based folks include Silverbird, Channels
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:57pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ Invisible, are you using Zenith? They've been having that problem for weeks now. Software must be screwy!

They will def charge you OD on your account and maybe interest as well. You can call the RM or his manager and rake! Complain that the purchase be reversed at no cost to you. Or (if you want to keep the stocks) tell them you'll pay the debit when/how you choose and they MUST NOT charge you OD/interest on your debit.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by helpme1: 9:01pm On Jan 21, 2008
easimoni:

Leave the NSE out of it, they've done nothing to your shares. The NSE did not put your stock on "pending", your broker has been unable to sell, hence your sell instruction is "pending" execution. Capisce? If you want to sell immediately, give your broker permission to sell "without limits". I'd generally advise against such, but you sound desperate.

You are telling me,she is lieing to me,i will call her tomorrow to sell and she should not lie to me.She forget say i get my invisble and best brokers for nairaland.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 9:03pm On Jan 21, 2008
invisible!:

I have a problem here, a very easy looking problem, but may cause a big problem later. My stock broker has been double buying stocks for me. By this I mean he either knowingly or unknowingly executes my buy orders twice.

Today, I got a trade alert for 20000 units of FBN. I had given them orders to buy last thursday, which they bought at 42.90, today they bought another 20000 units at 42.30. What do you guys suggest I do? I have not enough money in my account to cover this purchase.

Last time this same thing happened with Diamond bank, I had to put in more money to put my account in credit.

Do you people think this is bad, will they go on and charge me interest if I don't pay in money to credit my account?

Has anybody experienced this before?

This can be good and bad. Good if you stand to make a killing. Whatever their charge (hopefully, it isn't outrageous) it will be absorbed by the profit you make especially if its ma short term gig.

However, if it's a bad buy or speculative buy, you want to make sure that they don't buy over an above your requirements. Make enquiries as to how much they charge for credit buys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 9:06pm On Jan 21, 2008
@easimoni, I actually use Fidelity union, they should not just try to charge me any o/d whatever or they will recieve my lawyer as visitor grin grin

Since I gave no order whatsoever or filled any purchase order, I will win. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.