Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,295 members, 7,860,723 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:56 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (425) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (819952 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 4:13pm On Feb 04, 2008
pumice:

@Pennywise

No I don't get discouraged that easily. As a matter of fact I welcome your criticisms. That's why I joined this thread in the first place.

I was wondering what you meant by optimistic. I don't think there is another way to consider what is happening to the price within the last 3 months. It is making higher lows and higher highs which is the definition of an upward trend. All I did was connect the 2 lows to give an indication of future price. Also the 6EMA crosses the 150EMA and holds. Like I said there's only that resistance around =N=5. I would welcome another way of looking at the charts as this would only add to my knowledge.

Remember no-one has a crystal ball, a trendline just shows previous prices in an attempt to anticipate the future. In reality they all end up be broken in the future and price either consolidates or goes down. I rarely practice technical analysis in a vacuum, I look forward to hearing your reasons why you are skeptical. I think it was Albert Einstein who said "if we new what we were doing it wouldn't be called research". wink

That statement if you read it carefully you will find was not at all critical of your post(s) which gained my full attention a while back. It was meant for dunlop actually. The curve as seen on the NS map suggest a downward trajectory from (december) which appeared to be at variance with the direction of arrow seen and that is all. No bearing, no connection with any form of technical analyses which I might add I have very little patience for.

I share your admiration for the late Austrian. If he had not espoused the relativity theory he would have been just as influential for is incisive social comments. It is doubtful though if he would have gained any attention on this thread if he was alive and an anonymous contributor considering the caliber of people we have here.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:14pm On Feb 04, 2008
NBA:

GO GIANTS!!!!
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ah, et tu?? shocked shocked.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:18pm On Feb 04, 2008
Please be informed that a full suspension was placed on NAMPAK Plc on the floor of the exchange today following the discovery of overstatement in their accounts. Investigations are still on going and the company promised to update the market and the investing pubic

From my brokers.

Good morning Wendy! grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by richieade(m): 4:18pm On Feb 04, 2008
@roughcut

I just got offered a possibility to take part in Sterling mortgage PP and I have tried in vain to google for some info about the company and I remember reading your post about the company(if am not mistaken ). My question is do u have any new info on the company b4 I commit money to them.

Minimum is 1 million units @ 1.20

If anybody else has any info on the company please share o.

As for the superbowl I knew Gaints will win b'cus Defense always beat Offence tongue (good for cheating Belichick)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:19pm On Feb 04, 2008
aktopgun:

@ easi

wassup man. make windy no catch u with this your signature o! me i no go settle fight.

£50 on easi to win sha!  cheesy  cheesy  cheesy (if i were a betting man).

admittedly, it was an upset to say the last. just goes to show, it aint over till the fat lady sings!

No mind easimoni o. Abeg help me warn am o, make e take time well well. Otherwise I'll send some strong winds to unsettle some things in his Houston neighborhood  grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:21pm On Feb 04, 2008
richieade:

As for the superbowl I knew Gaints will win b'cus Defense always beat Offence tongue (good for cheating Belichick)

Even you too?? shocked shocked shocked

Chei, cry cry cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:22pm On Feb 04, 2008
easimoni:

Good morning Wendy! grin

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:24pm On Feb 04, 2008
Okay enough Wendy/Patriots bashing. I call a truce. Let's get back to "bidness". I'll even remove my signature.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by richieade(m): 4:27pm On Feb 04, 2008
windywendy link=topic=31554.msg#msg date=:

Even you too?? shocked shocked shocked

Chei, cry cry cry

The problem is dis Belichick guy too do yanga like he is the best tin since slice bread grin

Anyway na good coach sha tongue
Never mind there is always next year tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:31pm On Feb 04, 2008
pumice:

@ gonziiii

Nice one with dunlop.

From a technical standpoint alone, at this time I would go with dunlop rather than neimeth. It seems to be heading in the right direction for a buy but the only thing I am afraid of is the =N=5 resistance point. It may power through or stall around there, as I highlighted in the chart there seems to be some serious buying in going on. Either way I'd rather be in than out. With neimeth it just seems I would be arriving at the party late.

Like I said this just from my own technical opinion, I'll leave the fundamentals to the gurus. The floor is still open to other suggestions. By now it's obvious I like pictures so here's one more.

My opinion though is that Dunlop WILL power through that so-called N5 resistance point. Have you been watching the trend on this stock? Absolute fantastic for CICO.

My broker was telling me that before he could finish completing my order last Friday, some greedy Greg set of moneybags came and placed some serious demand on the floor and sent the price up to the max. Anyway, I was able to get a sizable chunk  smiley smiley. I don't see that demand being satisfied fully before the week runs out. So watch that stock as it powers through the N5 point (my opinion though)  grin smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 4:40pm On Feb 04, 2008
edwardaigb:

was at Oceanic registrar today, picked returns on dangote Flour. that offer no try at all. imagine was given less than 2,500 units out of 15,000 units paid for. they did put some interest on the returned money though but it's all rubbish.

Your own good.  If you hear the stories surrounding my FBN Returned Money of the last botched FBN PO, you will agree that I need to increase the number of doctors around me right now!  Almost everyone have gotten theirs, I don't know if I have offended the registrars, mine is still being processed by whom?  I don't know.  My other broker is as confused over the matter as the confusion in the allotment itself!  Looks like I need divine intervention on this matter.  What do you do when your broker tells you in a depressed voice "even me, I have not received my ownoooooo" .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 4:41pm On Feb 04, 2008
richieade:

The problem is this Belichick guy too do yanga like he is the best tin since slice bread grin

Anyway na good coach sha tongue
Never mind there is always next year tongue

Yep! there's always next year  grin And that so-called coach is sure going to be having his contract reviewed  angry yeah right, like I have the power to do anything  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:42pm On Feb 04, 2008
Pennywise:

That statement if you read it carefully you will find was not at all critical of your post(s) which gained my full attention a while back. It was meant for dunlop actually. The curve as seen on the NS map suggest a downward trajectory from (december) which appeared to be at variance with the direction of arrow seen and that is all. No bearing, no connection with any form of technical analyses which I might add I have very little patience for.

I share your admiration for the late Austrian. If he had not espoused the relativity theory he would have been just as influential for is incisive social comments. It is doubtful though if he would have gained any attention on this thread if he was alive and an anonymous contributor considering the caliber of people we have here.

I don't understand the statement above about Albert Einstein.  He happens to be a genius of our time.

Einstein won a Nobel price for his discovery of the law of photoelectric effect though I will agree that he is most famous (or infamous) for his theory of relativity.

Be aware that he is named as the person of the century by Time magazine.

If I recall correctly, Einstein was a German Jew. He renounced German nationaity and  became stateless until he was granted Swiss Citizenship. Not so? undecided

If you have the time, read about his works as documented by the American Institute of Physics.

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/great1.htm

If you've been reading that rumour being circulated that Einstein was a slowpoke, I can understand your position. Rumours cannot change facts.

Yes, if Albert Einstein was alive now he probably won't be a stock guru. grin grin grin

Yes, the calibre of people here can turn N10 into N1,000 but at the end of the day, we will use it to buy goods and services that were discovered by genius minds. If you studied Brownian motion and the atomic theory, you will understand that these are more challenging and frustrating tasks than trading stocks.

Sorry folks that I have to digress.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 4:50pm On Feb 04, 2008
pumping777:

N52 is still within the range I am predicting. What I am saying it that it will not stay there.

We should compare Zenith to all its peers.  Zenith(24) actually has higher forward PE than UBA (15), UBN(18), Oceanic (17) and First Bank(22).

Agreed that Zenith usually maintains a premium but I don't see it maintaning a PE of around 27 when other contemporary stocks will have much lower forward PEs. One of the problems remains the high nominal price.

I will guess another 5% for Zenith tomorrow, then we will start to see some resistance. If not, all the better though.

If you look at all the banks maintaining a high PE in banking, the prices are below N30. It is the stocks that have prices above N40 that have lower PEs except Oceanic that is being weighed down by 22B big ones.

Aba Oga Pumping - if you are comparing to all its peers, you well know that the only thing keeping UBA and Oceanic at current level is due to EOY in sept. Moreover, from where i seat - na only First Bank and Zenith dey same level.
And, i don't know where you got the current/Forward PE of First Bank but it is 33.3/24.6 based on latest Q3 reports.
And, if we are looking at the banks in the N40 range - what would you say about Intercon at 32.5/31.7 based on Q3 results

BTW - I am learning from you o,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumice(m): 4:53pm On Feb 04, 2008
@ to Pennywise

I really appreciate your observations about the share; and I meant your earlier response as been constructive and not to connote the negative. Actually we were refering to the same company and I share your fears about the december movement but I think it helped set the trend. I like that you commented about what you were seeing, I just wanted to know why. If I cannot explain to another trader why I want to buy a share then I probably shouldn't be buying it so I always welcome opinions.

A lot of people don't use technical analyses and to be honest you can make serious money in the NSE without it. I noticed the bulk of people on this thread are partial to fundamental analysis. I just think that I can value to the thread by also showing technical reasons why I would take a trade.

Once again thanks for your contributions  wink grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 5:05pm On Feb 04, 2008
@pumping
Sometimes we have to digress to egress. Indeed Einstein was born a German. He later changed his citizenship as this reference will show. http://pokspace.goverband.at/essays/wiltschek1_e.htm. The truth is that at the turn of the 19th century the difference between Austria and Germany was like as my people will say "oyinbo and father".
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:11pm On Feb 04, 2008
SavvyLanre:

Aba Oga Pumping - if you are comparing to all its peers, you well know that the only thing keeping UBA and Oceanic at current level is due to EOY in sept. Moreover, from where i seat - na only First Bank and Zenith dey same level.
And, i don't know where you got the current/Forward PE of First Bank but it is 33.3/24.6 based on latest Q3 reports.
And, if we are looking at the banks in the N40 range - what would you say about Intercon at 32.5/31.7 based on Q3 results

BTW - I am learning from you o,

Forward PEs are projected so we can't always have the same number. The disparity betwen 24 and 22 is not significant. It depends on how we project our full year PAT.

Well I bow for you if you say only Zenith and First Bank are on the same level but you were comparing Guaranty with Zenith? grin

Anyway, I don't know how you have done your own classification. Maybe Zenith and First Bank are Zero tier banks.

As far as I am concerned, UBA, UBN, FBN, Oceanic and Zenith remain close competitors in every way.  Capitalization, Balance Sheet, PAT, Shareholders funds, Turnover, Depositors funds etc. We know our big banks. This is not a matter of corporate governance now. What makes Zenith bigger than Oceanic or UBA?

First Banks stands head and above in shareholders funds but for now, this has not translated to better returns. Maybe in the near future.

Intercontinental? So you want to compare this with UBA for now? Capitalization of N760B but only N24B projected as PAT? What kind of return is that? UBA with capitalization of N570B is likely to deliver a PAT close to N40B.

To me Intercontinental is not yet in this category and even if it is, there can always be exceptions.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 5:18pm On Feb 04, 2008
@PUMPING

If i have made 30% on UNIC, is it wise to sell now? i no wan may my money disappear for my eye and at the same time, i dont want to miss an oppurtunity.

advice needed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:19pm On Feb 04, 2008
Pennywise:

@pumping
Sometimes we have to digress to egress. Indeed Einstein was born a German. He later changed his citizenship as this reference will show. http://pokspace.goverband.at/essays/wiltschek1_e.htm. The truth is that at the turn of the 19th century the difference between Austria and Germany was like as my people will say "oyinbo and father".

Thanks for the reference. Point taken.

The interesting thing is Einstein took up Austrian, Swiss and even US citizenship at some point so I don't see why he should be considered Austrian when this is just another acquired citizenship as the rest. grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2008
lawalidowu:

@PUMPING

If i have made 30% on UNIC, is it wise to sell now? i no wan may my money disappear for my eye and at the same time, i don't want to miss an oppurtunity.

advice needed.

If TS is not in your radar (me I no know o), UNIC is still safe to hold. Those insurance stocks are not dropping in price anytime soon. If dem fall, dem go rise again quick quick.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 5:23pm On Feb 04, 2008
Pumping777: What's your take on Ikeja Hotels? I know you recently divested, but other than CICO, where do you see it heading in the medium term?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 5:39pm On Feb 04, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Your own good. If you hear the stories surrounding my FBN Returned Money of the last botched FBN PO, you will agree that I need to increase the number of doctors around me right now! Almost everyone have gotten theirs, I don't know if I have offended the registrars, mine is still being processed by whom? I don't know. My other broker is as confused over the matter as the confusion in the allotment itself! Looks like I need divine intervention on this matter. What do you do when your broker tells you in a depressed voice "even me, I have not received my ownoooooo" .

I thot I was the only one. E be like say Ist Bank registrar don dey "kolo"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 5:39pm On Feb 04, 2008
@ All - Anybodi sabi Redstar express? Does anyone have any current figures? Pumping I C U oh. do you have any thoughts on Redstar? Would appreciate any input, thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 5:52pm On Feb 04, 2008
Re awards: FO2 was the catalyst of change on this forum. He has been quite open and honest about his style of investing and has backed this up with relevant info on how he does what he does.

He deserves 3 Gbosa, Gbosa Gbosa grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by springss: 5:56pm On Feb 04, 2008
Fo2, other gurus,

Does anyone know why Eterna Oil has been trending up lately. It's been on net bid for a several days and posted 5% appreciation today. Fo2, you dropped a subtle hint on Eterna some weeks ago, are you still bullish on Eterna? Thanks all for your valuable insights,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:57pm On Feb 04, 2008
richieade:

@roughcut

I just got offered a possibility to take part in Sterling mortgage PP and I have tried in vain to google for some info about the company and I remember reading your post about the company(if am not mistaken ). My question is do u have any new info on the company before I commit money to them.

Minimum is 1 million units @ 1.20

If anybody else has any info on the company please share o.

I think you are making reference to a subsidiary floated by Sterling bank from the name i may be wrong though but i dont have  any info on this if this is the one i think you are referring to.

The reference i made in my post regards  SpringbankMortgage( a subsidiary of Spring bank) which is due to float on the NSE imminently so that would suggest that they have probably concluded some form of PP(dont have the info regarding PP) and are now ready  to list on the NSE that is the info i have. I think they are planning to list before end of February.

Pls note that the parent company Springbank is on full suspension as opposed to TS for finacial irregularities/improprietary so please note there is a distinction between the two
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:57pm On Feb 04, 2008
Omoba3:

Pumping777: What's your take on Ikeja Hotels? I know you recently divested, but other than CICO, where do you see it heading in the medium term?

I divested in part and I'm holding on to the rest of my cargo. I still believe in the stock. Low cap with good fundamentals but I think it is more medium term. The full year results may not come out early. Last year's result did not come out till September.

If prices permit, I may even re-enter.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 6:02pm On Feb 04, 2008
pumping777:

Well I bow for you if you say only Zenith and First Bank are on the same level but you were comparing Guaranty with Zenith? grin

Ok - you got me on that one :-) But back to the Ko-Ko of the gist

pumping777:
Anyway, I don't know how you have done your own classification. Maybe Zenith and First Bank are Zero tier banks.
As far as I am concerned, UBA, UBN, FBN, Oceanic and Zenith remain close competitors in every way.  Capitalization, Balance Sheet, PAT, Shareholders funds, Turnover, Depositors funds etc. We know our big banks. This is not a matter of corporate governance now. What makes Zenith bigger than Oceanic or UBA?

Leave that one now, na Savvylanre classification be that one.

pumping777:
Intercontinental? So you want to compare this with UBA for now? Capitalization of N760B but only N24B projected as PAT? What kind of return is that? UBA with capitalization of N570B is likely to deliver a PAT close to N40B.

To me Intercontinental is not yet in this category and even if it is, there can always be exceptions.

Exactly, what i do not understand with Intercont and its current price, based on that, that is why i think Zenith go reach N58 in middle term and N52 on short term based on its premium and the zoom-zoom after TS.

BTW - with regards to FBN projection - (25,922 * 4/3 for full year)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 6:07pm On Feb 04, 2008
pumping777:

I divested in part and I'm holding on to the rest of my cargo. I still believe in the stock. Low cap with good fundamentals but I think it is more medium term. The full year results may not come out early. Last year's result did not come out till September.

If prices permit, I may even re-enter.

Thanks. At what price would you consider a good re-entry point? Where do you envisage the price going in that time frame?

I sent you an email for your consideration.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:13pm On Feb 04, 2008
windywendy:

My opinion though is that Dunlop WILL power through that so-called N5 resistance point. Have you been watching the trend on this stock? Absolute fantastic for CICO.

My broker was telling me that before he could finish completing my order last Friday, some greedy Greg set of moneybags came and placed some serious demand on the floor and sent the price up to the max. Anyway, I was able to get a sizable chunk  smiley smiley. I don't see that demand being satisfied fully before the week runs out. So watch that stock as it powers through the N5 point (my opinion though)  grin smiley

Yeah you again? Na wa o.

I remember saying something about this company last year it is a classic example of a company in 'turn-around' and set for growth. They have have just spent N5B or is it N8B? to complete their radial tyre plantwhatever that means and they completed  PO  in Jan '07 where they raised N5.5B infact the offer was oversunscribed.  The bulk of the receipts went on this project and repaying a very large chunk of the debts.They had a lot of problems with remittance of the PO funds but i think they finally got it now and they  acquired Pamol in calabar the biggest rubber plantation in Nigeria so no issues with sourcing raw materials so i believe its set for big big things

Up till now they have been making huge losses over the years so i suppose they are due a turn-around sooner or later but it seems to have caught me pants trousers down cheesy

But as usual the wind don blow comot all the available shares for ground grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by richieade(m): 6:18pm On Feb 04, 2008
RoughCut link=topic=31554.msg#msg date=:

I think you are making reference to a subsidiary floated by Sterling bank from the name i may be wrong though but i don't have any info on this if this is the one i think you are referring to.

The reference i made in my post regards SpringbankMortgage( a subsidiary of Spring bank) which is due to float on the NSE imminently so that would suggest that they have probably concluded some form of PP(don't have the info regarding PP) and are now ready to list on the NSE that is the info i have. I think they are planning to list before end of February.

Please note that the parent company Springbank is on full suspension as opposed to TS for finacial irregularities/improprietary so please note there is a distinction between the two

My bad with the name mixup, I was told spring mortgage but I think they mean sprigbank mortgage. The guy offering it specifically said PP and will be listed soon!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 6:22pm On Feb 04, 2008
richieade:

My bad with the name mixup, I was told spring mortgage but I think they mean sprigbank mortgage. The guy offering it specifically said PP and will be listed soon!!!
Now I'M INTERESTED PLS HOLLA!

Anything to do with Mortgage is HOT NOW. A lot of these insurance companies have been building up stakes in these mortgage companies steadily. There is a synergy between mortgages and life insurance business as you know the insurance companies are now required to split their life and insurance businesses with capitalization requirements. Another mortgage that is being touted to be listed on the NSE is Abbey Mortgage and guess what Mutual Benefits have about 20% stake in this company.

The mortgage business is like the insurance sector and they are both going to do very very well on the NSE this year!

(1) (2) (3) ... (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.