Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic (3503 Views)

Ifeanyi Ubah Builds A Catholic Cathedral In Nnewi, Anambra (Photos) / A Catholic Priest Celebrates Christ In A Traditional Way In Anambra / Gunmen Kill Worshippers At A Catholic Church In Ozubulu, Anambra State (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 12:45pm On Jun 10, 2016
1. The Catholic Church gave us the Gregorian calendar which we all use today.
2. The Catholic Church gave us the date for Easter.
3. The Catholic Church gave us the date for Christmas which means Christ-Mass.
The remains of all of the Apostles are in Catholic Churches, and so are all of the
Gospel writers. Note! Some relics are divided between Catholic Churches.
St. Peter is in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.
St. Paul is in St. Paul's Church in Rome.
St. Matthew is in the Cathedral of St. Matthew in Messina, Sicily.
St. James the Greater is in St. James Church in Compostela Spain.
St. James the Less (the Just) is in the Basilica of the Holy Apostles in Rome.
St. Bartholomew is in St. Bartholomew-in-the-island Church in Rome.
St. Andrew is in the Cathedral of Amalfi in Italy.
St. Philip is in the Church of the Dodici Apostoli in Rome, Basilica of the Holy Apostles.
St. Simon is in the Vatican, under the Altar of the Crucifixion.
St. Jude is in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.
St. Thomas is in the Cathedral of Saint Thomas in Mylapore, India.
St. Matthias is in St. Matthews Abbey in Trier Germany, and in St. Mary Major Basilica
in Rome.
St. John is in the ruins of the Basilica of St. John in Ephesus Turkey.
"You are built upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets with Jesus Christ
Himself as the Chief Corner Stone."
Ephesians 2:20.
Even though he was not an Apostle, he did write the Gospel of Mark.
St. Mark is in St. Mark's Church in Venice, Italy.
Even though he was not an Apostle, he did write the Gospel of Luke.
St. Luke is in the Basilica of Santa Giustina in Padua, Italy.
The first Christian Martyr. Acts 7:60
St. Stephen is in Rome in the Basilica of St. Lawrence Outside the Walls.
The first person to arrive at the tomb of the Risen Christ. John 20:1
St. Mary Magdalene is in the Basilica of St. Maximin in Villalata, France.
He produced the first Bible containing both the Old and New Testaments, the Latin
Vulgate. St. Jerome is in St. Mary Major Basilica in Rome.
We know from the many authentic Relics that the Catholic Church has in its
possession. Among them are:
1. The Relic of the True Cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified. John 19:17-18
2. The "INRI" inscription from the True Cross, called "Titulus Crucis". John 19-19
3. The Nails which held Jesus to the cross. John 20:25
4. The Lance Point of Saint Longinus which pierced the side of Jesus. John 19:34
5. The Crown of Thorns and the individual thorns from it. John 19:2
6. The Table used at the Last Supper is in St. John Lateran Basilica in Rome. Matthew
26:20
7. The Scala Santa, the steps which Jesus Christ ascended on His way to meet
Pontius Pilate.
8. The Chains of Saint Peter, in the Church of St. Peter in Chains in Rome.
Many more.........
We know from its sheer Size and Rapid Growth, with over 1,057,000,000* (one billion,
fifty-seven million) members, or one in six of the entire population of the earth, as of
February 2000. That is an increase of over 40,000,000 (forty million), since December
1997, more than half of the total membership of the largest single non-Catholic
denomination. In 2001, the Catholic Church grew to over 1,070,540,000* members, plus
another 216,000,000* Orthodox. Bar none, the Catholic Church is the fastest growing
Christian Church in the world. All of the over 36,400 various Non-Catholic
denominations, collectively added, total less* than the Catholic membership.
For those detractors of the Catholic Church who say that numbers are irrelevant, they
are in effect, saying that Satan is winning souls and that GOD is losing souls. They are
saying that more people are convinced by the lie from the father of lies, John 8:44,
than they are convinced of the truth of GOD, John 14:6. They have forgotten, or maybe
they never knew, that Satan can only do what GOD allows him to do.

5 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by theEYe21(f): 1:20pm On Jun 10, 2016
I get to worship a goddess, which is Mary cheesy man Gods are soo overrated grin
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by mrZENographer: 4:06pm On Jun 10, 2016
1) But where did Pope Peter ask the Catholic Church to pray to Mary. Or any of the apostles of Jesus. Did Jesus ever request any of the thousands of his followers to go see Mary to receive answers to prayer?

2) Where in the bible did pope Peter ask the catholic church to use beads and chaplets when praying. Or Jesus or Pope paul.

3) Was there any place in the bible where the apostles made or carried crosses and images of Jesus or Mary.

3) I have not seen where Mary was called Queen of Heaven in the scripture. Please can you show me?

4) Catholism undoubtedly has been a long existing and powerful community with great control over many sectors of the economy in the world, but how can we know they are leading it's members to heaven.

rTHANK YOU.

3 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 10, 2016
These are mostly pseudo-history which are based on the same catholic tradition that promotes idolatory,so why should they be believed?
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 5:27pm On Jun 10, 2016
mrZENographer:
1) But where did Pope Peter ask the Catholic Church to pray to Mary. Or any of the apostles of Jesus. Did Jesus ever request any of the thousands of his followers to go see Mary to receive answers to prayer?

2) Where in the bible did pope Peter ask the catholic church to use beads and chaplets when praying. Or Jesus or Pope paul.

3) Was there any place in the bible where the apostles made or carried crosses and images of Jesus or Mary.

3) I have not seen where Mary was called Queen of Heaven in the scripture. Please can you show me?

4) Catholism undoubtedly has been a long existing and powerful community with great control over many sectors of the economy in the world, but how can we know they are leading it's members to heaven.

rTHANK YOU.
rosary came centuries after the apostles. Is it the rosary that u have problem with or the doctrine?
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 5:44pm On Jun 10, 2016
mrZENographer:

rTHANK YOU.
y don't u appreciate someone who proclaims his religion than to find unnecessary fault in his doctrine. My bible tells me that the greatest commandment is the love of God and man. So if my Church natures and groom me on these commandment then i think i am in the right part with God. By the way, many catholics had explained catholism to you in the past so of what use is my explanation to you.

1 Like

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by italo: 7:18pm On Jun 10, 2016
Jesus is present in the Blessed Sacrament.

5 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by mrZENographer: 9:47pm On Jun 10, 2016
Empredboy:
y don't u appreciate someone who proclaims his religion than to find unnecessary fault in his doctrine. My bible tells me that the greatest commandment is the love of God and man. So if my Church natures and groom me on these commandment then i think i am in the right part with God. By the way, many catholics had explained catholism to you in the past so of what use is my explanation to you.

Do you know the difference BTW fault and question? For your infomate on, I am asking questions that demands answers.

Something made him to be a catholic but are those points enough proof that he has made the right decision?
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by mrZENographer: 9:50pm On Jun 10, 2016
Empredboy:

Do you know the difference BTW fault and question? For your infomate on, I am asking questions that demands answers.

Something made him to be a catholic but are those points enough proof that he has made the right decision?

Please stop quoting love of God in this matter. The love of God is to rebuke sin and exhort believers. Jesus said "As many as I love I rebuke". not to condemn you but so you will amend your ways and be saved
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 10:00pm On Jun 10, 2016
mrZENographer:

Please stop quoting love of God in this matter. The love of God is to rebuke sin and exhort believers. Jesus said "As many as I love I rebuke". not to condemn you but so you will amend your ways and be saved
did you read the topic? The topic is "ONE OF THE REASON WHY I AM A CATHOLIC". So have i answered your question?

1 Like

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 10:05pm On Jun 10, 2016
mrZENographer:

about your question, even if I answer you today we will still argue till eternity cos i believe you had have an encounter with some catholics on the Church doctrine. So what answer do what to get from me? I can only answer you only if truly you want to know.

1 Like

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by mrZENographer: 10:51pm On Jun 10, 2016
Empredboy:
did you read the topic? The topic is "ONE OF THE REASON WHY I AM A CATHOLIC". So have i answered your question?

ehmm no! tongue Your question is Reasons why you are catholic. My question is prove the authencity of your decision. For you to become a Catholic without considering the reasons I outlined may suggest you should make a retrieval.

yes I need answers. you're the 1st or sec am asking like this. I hardly debate with catholics. But here u are.
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by mrZENographer: 10:51pm On Jun 10, 2016
Empredboy:

ehmm no! tongue Your question is Reasons why you are catholic. My question is prove the authencity of your decision. For you to become a Catholic without considering the reasons I outlined may suggest you should make a retrieval.

yes I need answers. you're the 1st or sec am asking like this. I hardly debate with catholics. But here u are. So provide me scriptural answers of my questions in d previous post.
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Syncan(m): 6:48am On Jun 11, 2016
What we know today as scripture, in Christiandom, is what the Catholic church decided,to call scripture.

6 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 7:41am On Jun 11, 2016
mrZENographer:

yes I need answers. you're the 1st or sec am asking like this. I hardly debate with catholics. But here u are. So provide me scriptural answers of my questions in d previous post.
ok since you want to know i will give u biblical reason.
(1) THE FOUNDATION OF THE CHURCH the Church is built on the rock called peter and on the promise of christ to the Church. Matthew 16:18.
(2) THE SACRAMENT OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. The Church has 7 sacrament namly BAPTISM,CONFIRMATION, HOLY EUCHARIST, PENANCE, ANNOITING OF THE SICK, HOLY ORDER and MATRIMONY. These verses say more about the 7 sacraments.
The following are verses commonly cited to
support the Roman Catholic belief concerning
the sacraments: “Therefore I remind you to stir
up the gift of God which is in you through the
laying on of my hands" ( 2 Timothy 1:6 ). "Jesus
answered, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, unless
one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot
enter the kingdom of God’" ( John 3:5 ). "Not by
works of righteousness which we have done,
but according to His mercy He saved us,
through the washing of regeneration and
renewing of the Holy Spirit" ( Titus 3:5 ). "That
He might sanctify and cleanse her with the
washing of water by the word" ( Ephesians
5:26 ). "If you forgive the sins of any, they are
forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they
are retained" ( John 20:23 ). "And the prayer of
faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise
him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be
forgiven" ( James 5:15 ). "Then they laid hands
on them, and they received the Holy
Spirit" ( Acts 8:17 ). "Whoever eats My flesh and
drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise
him up at the last day. For My flesh is food
indeed, and My blood is drink indeed" ( John
6:54-55 ).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by btoks: 8:43am On Jun 11, 2016
crusadistic:
These are mostly pseudo-history which are based on the same catholic tradition that promotes idolatory,so why should they be believed?
In the same vein, why should you believe early Christian history? Who decides what is true history?
Do you know it's the same tradition you mock that decided what scriptures became the Bible?

The Catholic Church does not promote idolatry, BTW.

2 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 11, 2016
btoks:

In the same vein, why should you believe early Christian history? Who decides what is true history?
Do you know it's the same tradition you mock that decided what scriptures became the Bible?

The Catholic Church does not promote idolatry, BTW.
The bible is all that is needed.Do you mean decided the additional books in their so-called catholic bible sad
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 10:12am On Jun 11, 2016
crusadistic:

The bible is all that is needed.Do you mean decided the additional books in their so-called catholic bible sad
what did the bible say that is contrary to the Catholic teaching?
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 11, 2016
Warris dis
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 10:29am On Jun 11, 2016
SirWere:
Warris dis
what does it look like?
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 11, 2016
Empredboy:
what does it look like?
A whole pile of ordered nonsense
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by frubben(m): 10:46am On Jun 11, 2016
mrZENographer:

rTHANK YOU.

Nice question, oya mr catholic come answer oo with scriptural back up
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 11:04am On Jun 11, 2016
frubben:

Nice question, oya mr catholic come answer oo with scriptural back up
mathew 16 :18. John 6:54-55, john 20:23, john 3:5,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by mrZENographer: 8:41pm On Jun 11, 2016
Empredboy:
ok since you want to know i will give u biblical reason.
(1) THE FOUNDATION OF THE CHURCH the Church is built on the rock called peter and on the promise of christ to the Church. Matthew 16:18.
(2) THE SACRAMENT OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. The Church has 7 sacrament namly BAPTISM,CONFIRMATION, HOLY EUCHARIST, PENANCE, ANNOITING OF THE SICK, HOLY ORDER and MATRIMONY. These verses say more about the 7 sacraments.
The following are verses commonly cited to
support the Roman Catholic belief concerning
the sacraments: “Therefore I remind you to stir
up the gift of God which is in you through the
laying on of my hands" ( 2 Timothy 1:6 ). "Jesus
answered, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, unless
one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot
enter the kingdom of God’" ( John 3:5 ). "Not by
works of righteousness which we have done,
but according to His mercy He saved us,
through the washing of regeneration and
renewing of the Holy Spirit" ( Titus 3:5 ). "That
He might sanctify and cleanse her with the
washing of water by the word" ( Ephesians
5:26 ). "If you forgive the sins of any, they are
forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they
are retained" ( John 20:23 ). "And the prayer of
faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise
him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be
forgiven" ( James 5:15 ). "Then they laid hands
on them, and they received the Holy
Spirit" ( Acts 8:17 ). "Whoever eats My flesh and
drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise
him up at the last day. For My flesh is food
indeed, and My blood is drink indeed" ( John
6:54-55 ).

Sir warris dis
You didn't answer my question. I'll take your first point for an answer. The 2nd are quotes referring to salvation through christ, faith and healing. This is an island away from what I asked. Bible proof Concerning the Mary as queen of heaven, use of scaplets and rosaries, carry or post graven images of Jesus and Mary.

Let me address your first point. I wasn't asking about the foundation of the church neither about Pope Peter who you said began the catholic church. My question is where in the scriptures did Pope Peter instruct/admonish the church to pray to Mary? or Jesus ask the believers to pray to Mary.
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Empredboy(m): 11:26pm On Jun 11, 2016
mrZENographer:

Sir warris dis
You didn't answer my question. I'll take your first point for an answer. The 2nd are quotes referring to salvation through christ, faith and healing. This is an island away from what I asked. Bible proof Concerning the Mary as queen of heaven, use of scaplets and rosaries, carry or post graven images of Jesus and Mary.

Let me address your first point. I wasn't asking about the foundation of the church neither about Pope Peter who you said began the catholic church. My question is where in the scriptures did Pope Peter instruct/admonish the church to pray to Mary? or Jesus ask the believers to pray to Mary.
u are asking me about Mary as if catholic pray to her as our saviour. She is not the saviour of the Church but a mediator just like other holy men and women (saint) who have died. To know more about the mediator read luke 1:46-49, rev 5:8, mathew 17:3, Matt.
8:13, 15:28, 17:15–18, Mark 9:17–29, Luke 8:49–55
Why I listed these verses without explaining is because u had have an encounter with a catholic and yet u want to argue instead of to learn. I hope i have answered your questions? Let me too ask u a "crazy" question. Why do ur pastors prefer to put on a suit or agbada as if they are going for business? Did the bible say they should put on tee shirt, suit or agbada? Like the Catholic Priest wears is in the bible but i will like you to answer me.
No 2 how come ur Church don't have altar afterall God's Prophet used it exodus 32:5, genesis 8:20 instead they have pulpit? I know you know the differences? Please don't tell me old things has pass away because altar is old testament remember God is the same yesterday, today and forever. Thats why you collect tithe which is from old testament..
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Splinz(m): 11:29pm On Jun 11, 2016
Syncan:
What we know today as scripture, in Christiandom, is what the Catholic church decided,to call scripture.
What arrogance and sheer nonsense! One wonders how you could be deluded this much. SMH
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Syncan(m): 6:41am On Jun 12, 2016
Splinz:

What arrogance and sheer nonsense! One wonders how you could be deluded this much. SMH

Ranting and cursing over fact doesn't change it. It only clears the doubt over your handicap.

3 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Splinz(m): 8:09am On Jun 12, 2016
Syncan:

Ranting and cursing over fact doesn't change it. It only clears the doubt over your handicap.
On the contrary, being deluded to this extent is simply astonishing. Such shameless show of intellectual laziness.
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Syncan(m): 8:19am On Jun 12, 2016
Splinz:

On the contrary, being deluded to this extent is simply astonishing. Such shameless show of intellectual laziness.

Every Tom Di,ck and Harry can haul insults. For you is this scripture most apt: Proverbs 29:20 There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Splinz(m): 8:26am On Jun 12, 2016
Syncan:

Every Tom Di,ck and Harry can haul insults. For you is this scripture apt. Proverbs 29:20 There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking.
You see! Apparently, being brainwashed to this calamitous stage has also deprived you of even common sense. Such a sad news.
Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Syncan(m): 8:32am On Jun 12, 2016
Splinz:

You see! Apparently, being brainwashed to this calamitous stage has also deprived you of even common sense. Such a sad news.

Proverbs 29:8-9 Mockers can get a whole town agitated, but the wise will calm anger. You can tell which one you are.

3 Likes

Re: This Is One Of The Reason Why I Am A Catholic by Splinz(m): 8:40am On Jun 12, 2016
Syncan:

Proverbs 29:8-9 Mockers can get a whole town agitated, but the wise will calm anger.
Again, on the contrary, you lacked an iota of wisdom. For if you had any, you wouldn't have been overly excited over a glaring error.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Would Hell Fire Hurt A Spirit / Is Jesus An Angel As Claimed By Jehovah Witnesses? / A Taboo: Watch D Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.