Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,562 members, 7,812,822 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? (4046 Views)

Man Posts Bottle Of Beer And Bible Verse To Justify His Drink (Photo) / What Is Your Best Bible Verse? / Which Bible Verse Is The Most Quoted By People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by realmindz: 5:23pm On Jun 12, 2016
2nd Samuel 24: Again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census.....

1st Chronicles 21 : Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel...

Two accounts of the same story in the same bible, but one account said it was the Lord and another said it was Satan ....................................................................................

Please is the bible contradicting itself or was it a mistake from the writer? someone said Jehovah was satan...lol don't want to believe that.....

bible scholars, pls help
Muafrika2 KingEbukasBlog winner01 Joagbaje

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 12, 2016
census na census
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by realmindz: 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2016
nnamdiokere45:
census na census
do u understand the question?
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by youngaz(m): 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2016
Wen Matthew,Mark,Luke and John were asked dat ao many pple visited Jesus grave wen he ressurrected dey all gave different numba of pple.....wat i dnt undastand is it not holy spirit dat inspired John also inspired Matthew,why are dey aving different "views" on some issues in d Bible

5 Likes

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Adeoba10(m): 5:36pm On Jun 12, 2016
Na today bible dey contradict..... oga use tipex n change dat Satan to lord. #gboju

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Emypresh(m): 5:37pm On Jun 12, 2016
In the first instance, it was commanded....."Go and take a census" that was God commanding David while in the second instance, David did it out of God's will. The devil made him do it. Whose voice or command is David suppose to listen to? He shdnt hv listened to the devil. In the time of law u dnt do things out of ur will.....U wait until u are directed by God.
The ark was falling and someone tried to help and God made him pay dearly for that......In our world today, dsame man wud hv been rewarded>
Don't get it twisted, our God is not an author of confusion

3 Likes

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Adeoba10(m): 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2016
youngaz:
Wen Matthew,Mark,Luke and John were asked dat ao many pple visited Jesus grave wen he ressurrected dey all gave different numba of pple.....wat i dnt undastand is it not holy spirit dat inspired John also inspired Matthew,why are dey aving different "views" on some issues in d Bible
Maybe holy spirit was viewing it from different angle using different camera...

1 Like

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by realmindz: 5:39pm On Jun 12, 2016
Adeoba10:
Na today bible dey contradict..... oga use tipex n change dat Satan to lord. #gboju
lmaoo
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by realmindz: 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2016
Emypresh:
In the first instance, it was commanded....."Go and take a census" that was God commanding David while in the second instance, David did it out of God's will. The devil made him do it. Whose voice or command is David suppose to listen to? He shdnt hv listened to the devil. In the time of law u dnt do things out of ur will.....U wait until u are directed by God.
The ark was falling and someone tried to help and God made him pay dearly for that......In our world today, dsame man wud hv been rewarded>
Don't get it twisted, our God is not an author of confusion
Pick up ur bible and read those two chapters for better understanding of the question.
It was the same story but the first account said it was the Lord while the 2nd said it was satan...We are looking at a contradiction here

2 Likes

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by malvisguy212: 6:02pm On Jun 12, 2016
On my way home, I will reply you later.
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2016
realmindz:
2nd Samuel 24: Again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census.....

1st Chronicles 21 : Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel...

Two accounts of the same story in the same bible, but one account said it was the Lord and another said it was Satan ....................................................................................

Please is the bible contradicting itself or was it a mistake from the writer? someone said Jehovah was satan...lol don't want to believe that.....

bible scholars, pls help

God rules over all other gods, and if God wants to do something that the devil can, He'll make him do it. That's why He can say that God did it, though it was the devil who executed. When you have a boss, you work, for his credit. The devil is yet a servant, despite the show of defiance.

There are doors that men can open, which is what David did in this instance. It was God's law not to number Israelites because the numbering was for self gratification and pride, and showed nob- dependence on God. That is why it was a foolish idea that worked to teach David a lesson.

There are other instances when the devil was used similarly, this time, when David asked God to give his son foolish advise, and also earlier in the time of the kings in Jeremiah(I think) time where the prophet prayed for deceiving spirits to mislead the King.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by malvisguy212: 6:32pm On Jun 12, 2016
realmindz:

bible scholars, pls help
in 1 chronicle 21:3 joab the prophet warn david not to conduct the census, still david go against this command. God allow him to conduct it because He want to bring david on his knell, david was looking back at his victory with pride, the canannite, syria and other nation were dependent to israel, thanks to david. The Lord therefore decided that it was time that David be brought to his knees, where he would once again be cast back onto the mercy of God. So he let him go ahead with his census.

What about Satan? Why would he get himself
involved in this affair (according to 1 Chronicles 21:1) if God had already prompted David to commit the folly he had in mind? It seems his reasons were entirely malicious, knowing that a census would displease the Lord (1 Chronicles 21:7-cool, and so he also incited David to carry it through.

This is not new to us, we see the samething happen to job
, we find a challenge to Satan from God allowing Satan to bring upon Job his
calamities. God’s purpose was to purify Job’s faith, and to strengthen his character by means of discipline through adversity,whereas Satan’s purpose was purely malicious, wishing Job as much harm as possible so that he would recant his faith in his God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by realmindz: 7:26pm On Jun 12, 2016
Thank you malvisguy212, Muafrika2 for your contributions....

cc sonoflucifer johnydon22 otemanuduno HardMirror geoworldedu hahn aaronson need your honourable atheists/anti Yaweh views

2 Likes

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 12, 2016
Muafrika2:

God rules over all other gods, and if God wants to do something that the devil can, He'll make him do it. That's why He can say that God did it, though it was the devil who executed.
Take am easy dey lie, abeg.

Mumuafrika, is Satan God's errand boy, arch enemy, gay lover?
What exactly is the nature of their relationship? I also have a few questions I'd like you to tackle.
- Does God control Satan's destiny?
- If God uses the Devil to perform his work, does that make the Devil good?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by HardMirror(m): 7:43pm On Jun 12, 2016
Adeoba10:

Maybe holy spirit was viewing it from different angle using different camera...
hehehehe
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by HardMirror(m): 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2016
realmindz:
Thank you malvisguy212, Muafrika2 for your contributions....

cc sonoflucifer johnydon22 otemanuduno HardMirror geoworldedu hahn aaronson need your honourable atheists/anti Yaweh views
so sorry I don't have anti yaweh views. I only have common sense views. This just another evidence that the bible is written by men and had nothing like inspiration from god (else it won't contradict itself so many times) the logical explanation is legends and stories are passed down orally and recorded by different scribes, their will be slight variations to this accounts. The scribe that copied the Kings version goes with the God evil inspiration to david, the scribe that copied out the chronicles version must have felt god is not evil so he says it is the devil.
Now left to you to figure out the truth. But I think it is clear

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by viewflux(m): 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2016
The counting of Isreal by king David is not a commandment from God that was why THE ANGER OF GOD BURNED AGAINST ISREAL however, Jo'ab the chief of army advice him not to count[b]2 Samual 24:3.[/b] but his word was final so he proceeded to do the counting for 9 months and 20 days. however, after the counting king David felt remorse and beg God to forgive him for sinning and acting foolishly 2 Samual 24:10., for you to SIN against GOD then you listening to the DAVIL as a result God gave him 3 condition as punishment for conduction census with his direction 2 Samual 24:11..

THE PHRASE and he incited in your Bible version was not God inciting but the Davil, my version reads: THE ANGER OF GOD AGAIN BLAZED AGAINST ISREAL WHEN one incited David against them. the ONE that incited David was not GOD that was angry.

1 chronicles 21. the writer of 1 Chronicle went straight under inspiration to point finger at the person that is the one that incited David to carry out the counting of the Israelite which is the satan.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2016
Parts of the bible events occurred years before the dark age into the Medieval age. What were the occurrence, we don't know, reason why?

During the conquest of empires In the dark age, places being named in the bible were real but the characters in the bible are all fake, the reason for that are.

1- Lots of text of what really occurred were burnt during conquest of empires down to the roman empire and no one person has ever claim to personally know the characters in the bible meaning, these fictitious people/character were written to suit the then places to make it look legit.

2- The reason why the bible has contradictory verses was as a result of different texts with similar stories about different gods of the then religion/cults but amongst all, Christianity survived prior to the then Emperor of Rome Canstantine turning to christian. So Christianity gained popularity and all different gods stories got compiled in one text to assume to be the sky daddy God they worship today. That's why you see contradictions of all sorts in the bible.

Conclusion: The bible is an altered pieces of written by the then politicians of rome to enable the people of rome be submissive as they rule and dominate over them. Also the catholic has a hand in this that's why we have the pope in the vatican city today because, pope of the catholic refused to answer to the politicians of rome after committing atrocities and then claim they take order straight from God through the help of Mary.

F uck Religion.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by malvisguy212: 8:10pm On Jun 12, 2016
HardMirror:
so sorry I don't have anti yaweh views. I only have common sense views. This just another evidence that the bible is written by men and had nothing like inspiration from god (else it won't contradict itself so many times) the logical explanation is legends and stories are passed down orally and recorded by different scribes, their will be slight variations to this accounts. The scribe that copied the Kings version goes with the God evil inspiration to david, the scribe that copied out the chronicles version must have felt god is not evil so he says it is the devil.
Now left to you to figure out the truth. But I think it is clear

I don't think you are a pastor before you became atheist, their is one thing I observe in ALL your thread, and its pride. Trying to count your success. The bible did NOT contradict itself, rather, the bible contradict you.
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by HardMirror(m): 8:17pm On Jun 12, 2016
malvisguy212:
I don't think you are a pastor before you became atheist, their is one thing I observe in ALL your thread, and its pride. Trying to count your success. The bible did NOT contradict itself, rather, the bible contradict you.
As I always say, they holy spirit makes secret things known doesn't he? Do you have the holy spirit? Then u shld know if I was ever a pastor by the withness of the spirit. I spirit filled man does not live by guessing. So what does the spirit tell you so I will know if u are empty or a man in tune with the spirit.

Yes I am a proud man. Happy now? I am not sorry I don't share your view. grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by makydebbie(f): 8:28pm On Jun 12, 2016
Cc.Thesupernerd
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 12, 2016
You Will Never See People Like KingEbukasBlog winner01 Here Cause All They Know How To Do Is Lie Lie And Lie Or Go Off Topic Nothing Reasonable Ever Come Out From Their Brain Only Lies..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by malvisguy212: 9:29pm On Jun 12, 2016
HardMirror:

As I always say, they holy spirit makes secret things known doesn't he? Do you have the holy spirit? Then u shld know if I was ever a pastor by the withness of the spirit. I spirit filled man does not live by guessing. So what does the spirit tell you so I will know if u are empty or a man in tune with the spirit.

Yes I am a proud man. Happy now? I am not sorry I don't share your view. grin
I did not guess, are you not the one that open a thread title "from pastor to atheist?"
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by realmindz: 9:49pm On Jun 12, 2016
viewflux:
The counting of Isreal by king David is not a commandment from God that was why THE ANGER OF GOD BURNED AGAINST ISREAL however, Jo'ab the chief of army advice him not to count[b]2 Samual 24:3.[/b] but his word was final so he proceeded to do the counting for 9 months and 20 days. however, after the counting king David felt remorse and beg God to forgive him for sinning and acting foolishly 2 Samual 24:10., for you to SIN against GOD then you listening to the DAVIL as a result God gave him 3 condition as punishment for conduction census with his direction 2 Samual 24:11..

THE PHRASE and he incited in your Bible version was not God inciting but the Davil, my version reads: THE ANGER OF GOD AGAIN BLAZED AGAINST ISREAL WHEN one incited David against them. the ONE that incited David was not GOD that was angry.

1 chronicles 21. the writer of 1 Chronicle went straight under inspiration to point finger at the person that is the one that incited David to carry out the counting of the Israelite which is the satan.
I'm not sure if u understood the question, or if you understood what u read from the bible or are we reading the same bible?
kindly read those chapters of the bible....
first said The Lord incited David, the other said Satan incited David.....it's simple and clear enough, no need to complicate the story
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by chiedu7: 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2016
hhhh
realmindz:
When God was vexed with you, He'd order you to fall.

realmindz:

bible scholars, pls help

Here is who carried out the order, God ordered it and the devil carried it out.

Like in the case of Ahab, God wanted him to fall because of his sin so God asked who will do it.
So here God ordered it and the devil carried it out.

1 Kings 22
19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.

20 And the Lord said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.

21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the Lord, and said, I will persuade him.

22 And the Lord said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

God is the Lord of Hosts, which means He rules every spirit both in heaven & earth.

Psalm 84:12
O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

Philippians 2:10
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth(HELL);

Thats why Christians are blessed above all, we have Jesus intercedeing on our behalf.

Romans 8:34
Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by HardMirror(m): 12:59am On Jun 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
I did not guess, are you not the one that open a thread title "from pastor to atheist?"
So? Is that why you are subtly trying to know if I was lying? Go and ask the holy spirit next time, you don't have to live life guessing when u have a true relationship with god. Or you need me to educate you?
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 4:11am On Jun 13, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Take am easy dey lie, abeg.

Mumuafrika, is Satan God's errand boy, arch enemy, gay lover?

What exactly is the nature of their relationship? I also have a few questions I'd like you to tackle.

Quite a valid question actually.

Satan is a who.re, with relation to God; incessant prostitute. From dwelling in the presence of God with great admiration where he was one with God to turning himself into an object of sin. God refers to his people as his bride on the other hand. The devil is not. He has invented other lovers - unholiness.

Check Ezekiel 28 from verse 14.. its a story of the time when the devil became the devil. He was one of God's Cherubim. Such have power over specific realms. Angels with great glory close to God. So at his fall, he remains a cherub. A ruler...over the other rebellious angels. That makes the kingdom of darkness.

Still subject to God, all rulers give an account before God. Thats why you can see the devil in conversation with God in job. He's got responsibilities he accounts for. That's how people have lived in relative harmony despite their goodness/evil. A mother who is evil can give birth to a godly child and vise versa and take care of it to maturity without destroying it. They know they are not free to do whatever they wish.

The other aspect of this relation is that as a mischievous ruler, the devil uses his authority against the righteous of God. By use of false accusations which end up causing abit of temporary discomfort to them... those are what are called temptations.

Revelation 12:10 |
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

In Ezekiel 28, the devil, the great Cherub is only sent away when iniquity is found in him. He bought his ticket out of the presence of God.

V.15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

- Does God control Satan's destiny?

Of course. The devil/ all sons of darkness are rulers of this world. Created by God, there is not one single object on this earth independent from God. Not even the devil.

- If God uses the Devil to perform his work, does that make the Devil good?
Here is another instant: Paul speaking of a demon that God sent to him.

2 Corinthians 12:7 |
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

What makes one good is their heart. Even though the devil runs errands at God's command, he still maintains his evil character before GOD. That is what makes him a devil. The following scripture describes the condition of the devil/sons of darkness. You see, it's not that they do not Know God, because they interact...

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened

Despite the knowledge of the devil, he still choses to be vain and unrighteous. That's why the devil is not good.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:26am On Jun 13, 2016
RELIGIOUS BLOCKHEADS,
STILL TRYNA DEFEND THEIR CARELESSLY AUTHORED HOLY BOOK....

FOR NO SANE REASON, ENTIRELY.
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by dazzlingd(m): 7:42pm On Jun 14, 2016
What is religion ?religion is believing whatever u have been told regardless of what is true without applying the brain.

who is a religious person? A religious person is one who will see black but call it white and will try every possible means to prove it is white....

This contradiction is too obvious enough to be disputed, malvisguy212 Muafrika2 chiedu7 and the rest, u guys sud jst give up defending it. Your perfect book is not that perfect after all.....
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by dazzlingd(m): 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2016
Elohim1:
You Will Never See People Like KingEbukasBlog winner01 Here Cause All They Know How To Do Is Lie Lie And Lie Or Go Off Topic Nothing Reasonable Ever Come Out From Their Brain Only Lies..
they truly avoided this thread like plague.
but winner01 and the rest, don't u think the bible God is really dreadful and merciless, he's done too many killings in the bible, a loving god sud not be dat vengeful.
He was the same God who hardened Pharaoh's heart so he could kill the Egyptian children. Do u guys jst read stories without any thoughts...for a god who is meant to love children but wasted innocent kids. He committed the same offence that king Herod committed.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Nobody: 2:01am On Jun 15, 2016
dazzlingd:
What is religion ?religion is believing whatever u have been told regardless of what is true without applying the brain.

who is a religious person? A religious person is one who will see black but call it white and will try every possible means to prove it is white....

This contradiction is too obvious enough to be disputed, malvisguy212 Muafrika2 chiedu7 and the rest, u guys sud jst give up defending it. Your perfect book is not that perfect after all.....
Are you attempting to redefine religion? ... undecided angry

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More
a particular system of faith and worship.
plural noun: religions
"the world's great religions"
a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
"consumerism is the new religion"
Re: Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? by Ken4Christ: 4:50am On Jun 15, 2016
The Bible is the most honest book I have ever seen. This seemingly contradictions have been there but those who brought the different books together didn't make any alteration to the original manuscript.

Well, concerning the issue in discussion, why are there contradictions on the two verses on who incited David to number Isreal?

One mistake or wrong perception we have all about the Bible is that every single statement is inspired by God or everything written in the Bible was instructed by God. This is far from the truth. The Bible rightly contains inspired words of God but not all contents are directly inspired by God.

In the Bible, men also spoke, angels spoke, the devil also spoke, the serpent spoke. Even a donkey spoke and all where recorded in the Bible.

You have to read within context to know who is speaking at any point in time. That is why in the writings of Apostle Paul, there was an occasion he said, I and not the Lord is giving the very instruction he just mentioned.

Now, the account of the books of Samuel and Chronicles are mainly historical. Sometimes, the narrator perception of the event comes into play. Both narrators had different perception on who incited David to number Isreal. It was not God who gave them the ideas of what was behind David's action. It is only the Prophets of God that knew the mind of God and can speak for God.

David probably wasn't even incited by neither God or Satan. He probably decided to number Isreal because he lost his faith in God at that moment. He thought victory is in numbers. He knew better than that. God is not restrained by numbers. He once used one man, Samson to fight a thousand army.

So, the account of both books contains the perception of the narrator and does not in any way reduce the fact that the Bible is still the only book on earth that contains the inspired word of God. I hope this answers the question?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VIOLENT. The Kingdom Of Heaven Suffers Violence. The Misinterpretation . / Wonderful And Awesome Names Of God You Should Know / Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.