Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,061 members, 7,814,649 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? (4051 Views)

Creation Story: Evolution Or Adam And Eve? / Do You Subscribe To The Doctrine Of Trinity? If "Yes", Take This Challenge! / Survey: Do You Believe In Evolution Or Creationism? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 4:55pm On Jun 15, 2019
There is no doubt that on this board, we are majorly separated into two camps when it involves the origin of species or even the universe itself.

1. Evolution Camp (Mostly atheists, a decent number of theists, agnostics and so forth)

2. Design Camp (Mostly Theists, a minority of atheists and agnostics)

The argument for both camps has been raging through the years on this board, to be honest, i quite enjoy them.

Let's say, I've grown to the point where I'd like to give everyone an equal listening ear, try not to start off an argument from a definite position, initially or probably not letting what i think get in the way of what i may discover in what others think.

So, I'm opening this thread to understand why exactly do the proponents of these schools of thought agree with them.

When you agree with a particular idea, this connotes that there are elements of this idea that satisfies your own framework or logical expectation of how that question should and can be answered.

So the question here is
Why do you agree with evolution?

Why do you agree with design theory?

And why do you think the other theory you disagree with is wrong?

P.S; No copy and paste of online articles or journals, I am simply asking you what you personally think, or isolated elements in either school of thought that compels you to agree with it
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 5:27pm On Jun 15, 2019
LordReed Vaxx Buddatum DoctorAlien

1 Like

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 5:42pm On Jun 15, 2019
Evolution has overwhelming evidence.
Now let me define some terms

Evolution is a scientific fact. This is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations. These characteristics are the expressions of genes that are passed on from parent to offspring during reproduction.

1)why I agree with evolution

Whether you believe it or not evolution is a true as the heat from the sun.
Now the theory that explains the process of evolution is called natural selection brought up by Charles Darwin.

I acknowledge the fact of evolution because of the evidence shown forth. In this thread I’m going to give you 3 convincing evidence for evolution by natural selection.

I) Fossils
II) similarity’s among different animals
III) similarity’s among animals DNA.

If these few points don’t still convince you about evolution. Then ask yourself this question “ why is evolution not heavily debated amongst the scientific community?”

2) why do I think design is wrong?

According the other camp “creationist” they proposed that due to the complexity of living things on earth then it must require a designer. But using any religious story of creationism it doesn’t make any sense. For example the bible or the Quran story of creationism contradicts each other seriously. Okay creationist give us evidence for this intelligent designer then we start seeing red herrings. So with these few points I gave I hope I have convinced you that creationism is a faulty answer to how we have complex life

4 Likes

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2019
I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT EVOLUTION. NEVER READ MORE THAN TWO LINES ABOUT IT.
BUT HOW CAN A DESIGNER BE CALLED PERFECT WHEN IT'S DESIGNS ARE ALL AWFUL, FLAWED, AND SEEM LIKE THEY EMERGED OUT OF RANDOM CHANCE?

HAKEEM4

4 Likes

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 6:15pm On Jun 15, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
BUT HOW CAN A DESIGNER BE CALLED PERFECT WHEN IT'S DESIGNS ARE ALL AWFUL, FLAWED, AND SEEM LIKE THEY EMERGED OUT OF RANDOM CHANCE?

HAKEEM4
Let me hold the fort.

Perceived flaws don't really preclude the presence of design.

You can argue a car is flawed, it definitely isn't perfect, this surely doesn't make it less likely to be designed.

Does it?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 6:25pm On Jun 15, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

HAKEEM4

Don’t mind people who believe the intelligent designer. Intelligent design is just another substitute for god.

You’d see many of them shifting goal post. Ask them questions about the laryngeal nerve and why is it so long in the human body when the distance it’s supposed to cover is not more than 4 inches. Then the supposed “ omniscient god” made the nerve pass through a long distance about 2ft long. Now imagine in giraffes it’s about 15ft. How intelligent is he?

The laryngeal nerve is one of the evidence of natural selection cause most living things had a common ancestor who once lived in water and fishes do not have necks, so it went straight. But as living things evolved it started stretching that distance.

dont mind creationist they don’t know anything

2 Likes

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 6:27pm On Jun 15, 2019
hakeem4:
Evolution has overwhelming evidence.
Now let me define some terms

Evolution is a scientific fact. This is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations. These characteristics are the expressions of genes that are passed on from parent to offspring during reproduction.
Awesome

1)why I agree with evolution

Whether you believe it or not evolution is a true as the heat from the sun.
This doesn't really hold any more merit than someone saying design is as true as heat from the sun.

Now the theory that explains the process of evolution is called natural selection brought up by Charles Darwin.

I acknowledge the fact of evolution because of the evidence shown forth. In this thread I’m going to give you 3 convincing evidence for evolution by natural selection.
Exciting

I) Fossils
How did fossils lead you to your conclusion? What fossils?

II) similarity’s among different animals
Similarities can also connote design, Cars are similar to each other yet are designed.

So how did similarity inform your stance?

III) similarity’s among animals DNA.
Great.

If these few points don’t still convince you about evolution. Then ask yourself this question “ why is evolution not heavily debated amongst the scientific community?”
This doesn't necessarily make something true - Appeal to authority. Otherwise we could point out things once widely held as true by the scientific community of the day that turned out not to be.

2) why do I think design is wrong?
Let me play the devils advocate for design. Lol

According the other camp “creationist” they proposed that due to the complexity of living things on earth then it must require a designer.
Not necessarily plain complexity. Let me elaborate the design argument.

We essentially identify something is likely to be designed when such a thing has specific parts or specific systems arranged in specific ways that they perform specific functions.

E.G: A house.

So, humans as can be observed have specific parts and systems arranged in highly specific intricate ways (arguably more intricate and precise than any of our designs) that performs specific functions - therefore, is more likely to be designed than not.

I think its fairer that i elaborated the design argument because it would be easier to refute an argument when you oversimplify it.

But using any religious story of creationism it doesn’t make any sense. For example the bible or the Quran story of creationism contradicts each other seriously. Okay creationist give us evidence for this intelligent designer then we start seeing red herrings. So with these few points I gave I hope I have convinced you that creationism is a faulty answer to how we have complex life
The bible or Quran isn't necessarily the benchmark for the design argument. What if the person you are arguing with shows you his argument as I logically outlined and makes it clear he or she isn't basing his argument on any specific religious text or even a specific deity?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 6:30pm On Jun 15, 2019
hakeem4:

Don’t mind people who believe the intelligent designer. Intelligent design is just another substitute for god.

You’d see many of them shifting goal post. Ask them questions about the laryngeal nerve and why is it so long in the human body when the distance it’s supposed to cover is not more than 4 inches. Then the supposed “ omniscient god” made the nerve pass through a long distance about 2ft long. Now imagine in giraffes it’s about 15ft. How intelligent is he?

The laryngeal nerve is one of the evidence of natural selection cause most living things had a common ancestor who once lived in water and fishes do not have necks, so it went straight. But as living things evolved it started stretching that distance.

dont mind creationist they don’t know anything

Calm down bro, whether humans were designed or not, it doesn't really affect you on such deep level.

Don't talk as if it's a personal quarrel, make good arguments and questions against the proponents of design, that should plead your case better.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by DoctorAlien(m): 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2019
Okay here we go.

I subscribe to creationism, and in particular Biblical creationism. I believe that the universe which we observe was created by God in 6 literal days, as Genesis describes. (Is this my view classified under intelligent design (ID))? Therefore, because of the Biblical account, this earth, and this universe which we observe, cannot be more than about 6000 years old.

I hold this view first and foremost because the Bible teaches it. Yes! That is the primary reason why I hold this view. I believe that the Bible contains truth. Therefore what it says about origins is true. The second reason is that observations seem to agree, and is not at odds, with what the Bible said about the universe, and with what would be expected if the Biblical narrative is true.

I think other views of origins are wrong primarily because they don't agree with the Bible, which, I believe, contains truth.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by DoctorAlien(m): 6:34pm On Jun 15, 2019
What is your own response to your OP, johnydon?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 6:42pm On Jun 15, 2019
DoctorAlien:
What is your own response to your OP, johnydon?
I'd have preferred to stay neutral and play the devil's advocate to both school of thought but summarily I lean towards the evolutionary theory while maintaining that design is just as logical and wouldn't be surprised if it happens to be the case.

And i also think that one can argue that evolution doesn't preclude design, i have made such argument on one of my threads before.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 6:48pm On Jun 15, 2019
DoctorAlien:
Okay here we go.

I subscribe to creationism, and in particular Biblical creationism. I believe that the universe which we observe was created by God in 6 literal days, as Genesis describes. (Is this my view classified under intelligent design (ID))? Therefore, because of the Biblical account, this earth, and this universe which we observe, cannot be more than about 6000 years old.

1. So, the universe to you was created ex materia (cosmos from chaos) and not ex nihilo?

2. What makes you think the earth or universe is 6,000 years? Any external pointers that informed this belief?

3. What evidences would you expect could make you understand earth isn't just 6000 years?

I hold this view first and foremost because the Bible teaches it. Yes! That is the primary reason why I hold this view. I believe that the Bible contains truth. Therefore what it says about origins is true. The second reason is that observations seem to agree, and is not at odds, with what the Bible said about the universe, and with what would be expected if the Biblical narrative is true.
What observations?

I think other views of origins are wrong primarily because they don't agree with the Bible, which, I believe, contains truth.

So, your only reason to believe in creationism is the bible and because you believe the bible is true.

Doesn't this belief effectively result in a form of bias against ideas that question this belief?

Because as you have shown, your agreement is built on primarily belief ground not any form of deductive logical chain of thoughts

That's pretty weak argument to be honest.

Read my argument to hakeem4 to see the fundamental argument for design

2 Likes

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by DoctorAlien(m): 7:33pm On Jun 15, 2019
johnydon22:

1. So, the universe to you was created ex materia (cosmos from chaos) and not ex nihilo?
I don't speak Latin grin But I believe that the universe was created out of nothing by God.

2. What makes you think the earth or universe is 6,000 years? Any external pointers that informed this belief?
Primarily because the Bible says so. I believe that the Bible contains truth. The Bible informs my belief. Observations seems to agree with, and solidify, it.

3. What evidences would you expect could make you understand earth isn't just 6000 years?
I think the best way for me to answer this is to say that if the evidences come, I will recognize them. But a good place to start is to try to show that the Bible is dubious (both in its origin and in what it teaches).

What observations?
Can I really list all of them right now? [url]Creation.com[/url] I believe is doing a good job of documenting them.

So, your only reason to believe in creationism is the bible and because you believe the bible is true.
The primary reason, not exactly, the "only" reason.

Doesn't this belief effectively result in a form of bias against ideas that question this belief?
I admit that my worldview is creationism. It is based on the Bible. Through that lens I look at things. This does not mean that I am not able to receive other people's arguments on their merits, and critically examine them. But when the only thing that clashes is the worldview, I take the side of creationism. Thus, the geologic column may serve as evidence of evolution to some, but it may as evidence of Noah's flood for me.

Other people have other worldviews, like materialism, naturalism, etc. And if creationism is dogmatic, these other worldviews are just as, if not more, dogmatic.

Because as you have shown, your agreement is built on primarily belief ground not any form of deductive logical chain of thoughts

Deductions have certain starting assumptions. Those assumptions have roots. I have only been very candid with my views. Suffice it to say that my worldview in no way prevents me from engaging the real world which we observe. But it may prevent me from taking a position that is built on a conflicting worldview.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 7:56pm On Jun 15, 2019
johnydon22:
Awesome

This doesn't really hold any more merit than someone saying design is as true as heat from the sun.

If you’re being honest you’d know evolution has been tested and it’s a scientific fact just like heat from sun is also a scientific fact

Exciting

How did fossils lead you to your conclusion? What fossils?
I do not want to turn this place to a biology class. So I actually expected people to read up on this. But since you’ve asked me to explain then I’d have to.

So what is a fossil? A fossil is the preserved remains of a dead organism from millions of years ago. Evidence for the first form of life were given by fossils.

Similarities can also connote design, Cars are similar to each other yet are designed.

So how did similarity inform your stance?
Like I have an example while I was discussing with capslocked the laryngeal nerve and many other examples

Great.

This doesn't necessarily make something true - Appeal to authority. Otherwise we could point out things once widely held as true by the scientific community of the day that turned out not to be.
Thank you. Then if natural selection isn’t true then it would be the greatest conspiracy theory ever.

Let me play the devils advocate for design. Lol

Not necessarily plain complexity. Let me elaborate the design argument.

We essentially identify something is likely to be designed when such a thing has specific parts or specific systems arranged in specific ways that they perform specific functions.

E.G: A house.

So, humans as can be observed have specific parts and systems arranged in highly specific intricate ways (arguably more intricate and precise than any of our designs) that performs specific functions - therefore, is more likely to be designed than not.

I think its fairer that i elaborated the design argument because it would be easier to refute an argument when you oversimplify it.

The bible or Quran isn't necessarily the benchmark for the design argument. What if the person you are arguing with shows you his argument as I logically outlined and makes it clear he or she isn't basing his argument on any specific religious text or even a specific deity?
I’m particularly going to create a thread about this. Thank you for elaborating it. There are evidence for millions of complex life that came from natural processes but there’s no evidence of a single life designed.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 15, 2019
My own belief is that it's neither here nor there but a combination of both evolution and design with respect to how humans first came into existence and how their lives has panned out since then.

So maybe you have a first right there.

But in my own belief, the evolution theory only comes up after the design theory.

God bless.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 8:45pm On Jun 15, 2019
hakeem4:

If you’re being honest you’d know evolution has been tested and it’s a scientific fact just like heat from sun is also a scientific fact
Lol No. A theory is the most logical or deductive explanation for observed facts.

Evolution is the theory that explains the facts, that's what a scientific theory means.

I do not want to turn this place to a biology class. So I actually expected people to read up on this. But since you’ve asked me to explain then I’d have to.

So what is a fossil? A fossil is the preserved remains of a dead organism from millions of years ago. Evidence for the first form of life were given by fossils.
So, what fossil records made you agree that life forms changed from one form to another?

Like I have an example while I was discussing with capslocked the laryngeal nerve and many other examples

Primary premise: Similarities between organisms connote evolution.

Secondary premise: Cars have similarities, but can still be deductively identified as a design.

So, you see, the syllogism of the primary premise falls short when the secondary premise is brought out therefore, similarities does not necessarily connote evolution.

Savvy?

Thank you. Then if natural selection isn’t true then it would be the greatest conspiracy theory ever.
It doesn't have to be a conspiracy to be untrue.

I’m particularly going to create a thread about this. Thank you for elaborating it. There are evidence for millions of complex life that came from natural processes but there’s no evidence of a single life designed.

You can make your argument refuting that argument of design right on this thread, that's exactly what the thread is about
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 9:05pm On Jun 15, 2019
DoctorAlien:
I don't speak Latin grin But I believe that the universe was created out of nothing by God.
Ex nihilo. Lol. So something can come out of nothing then?

That's weird

Primarily because the Bible says so. I believe that the Bible contains truth. The Bible informs my belief. Observations seems to agree with, and solidify, it.

1. You believe the Bible contains truth therefore whatever the bible says must be true. That's devoid of any logical chain of thought.

Wouldn't real knowledge transcend belief as a background and allow questions to be answered based on verifiable qualities of its method and not because this thing right here says it is so and i believe this is so and therefore it is so.

Doesn't this lead to a form of circular reasoning? Example: I believe this Batman vs Superman comic to be true, this comic book says someone can shoot laser from his eyes, therefore this must be true.

Do you still a problem with this?

2. Outline some of these observations.

I think the best way for me to answer this is to say that if the evidences come, I will recognize them.
I'm not sure you can recognize something except you have an idea of what exactly you are looking for.

But a good place to start is to try to show that the Bible is dubious (both in its origin and in what it teaches).
But the problem is, your attachment is based on belief, how can someone effectively show that the Bible isn't true when belief bypasses the importance of the subject of belief being true?

Can I really list all of them right now? [url]Creation.com[/url] I believe is doing a good job of documenting them.
1 or 2 doesn't hurt.

The primary reason, not exactly, the "only" reason.
Doesn't this primary reason belief necessitate dogma?

I admit that my worldview is creationism. It is based on the Bible. Through that lens I look at things. This does not mean that I am not able to receive other people's arguments on their merits, and critically examine them.

But when the only thing that clashes is the worldview, I take the side of creationism. Thus, the geologic column may serve as evidence of evolution to some, but it may as evidence of Noah's flood for me.
I think this demonstrates the problem with belief, it gives you a lense by which you look at things and if the primary basis (subject of belief) is untrue, the whole chain is likewise untrue. But you can't really explore this since the subject isn't held as truth by some deductive means of determining what is most likely to be true, but rather an exercise of trust on the conveyor of the subject hence belief.

Other people have other worldviews, like materialism, naturalism, etc. And if creationism is dogmatic, these other worldviews are just as, if not more, dogmatic.

Dogma is demonstrated when your fundamental reason is based on belief on the conveyor of the subject.

Argument of design can/cannot be a dogma
Materialism/naturalism likewise.

It depends really and how your train of thought starts.

If it starts by assuming the conveyor of the idea is true then it is a dogma.

Deductions have certain starting assumptions. Those assumptions have roots. I have only been very candid with my views. Suffice it to say that my worldview in no way prevents me from engaging the real world which we observe. But it may prevent me from taking a position that is built on a conflicting worldview.
I actually admire your honesty about your view
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 9:07pm On Jun 15, 2019
jesusjnr:
My own belief is that it's neither here nor there but a combination of both evolution and design with respect to how humans first came into existence and how their lives has panned out since then.

But in my own belief, the evolution theory only comes up after the design theory.

God bless.
So, we can say man is subject to design but still evolves.

What informed this position?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 9:27pm On Jun 15, 2019
johnydon22:
Lol No. A theory is the most logical or deductive explanation for observed facts.

Evolution is the theory that explains the facts, that's what a scientific theory means.
Evolution is a fact natural selection is the scientific theory

So, what fossil records made you agree that life forms changed from one form to another?
Trilobite, etc. They are many I cannot remember them off hand
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2019
jesusjnr:

God bless.
evolution natural selection is not compatible with the ID
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:45pm On Jun 15, 2019
johnydon22:
Let me hold the fort.

Perceived flaws don't really preclude the presence of design.

You can argue a car is flawed, it definitely isn't perfect, this surely doesn't make it less likely to be designed.

Does it?

THE CAR DESIGNER IS NOT HAILED AS PERFECT, INFALLIBLE, OMNI-THIS AND OMNI-THAT.

GUY SOMETIMES YOUR COMPARISONS ARE MEANINGLESS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by Heathen777(m): 9:49pm On Jun 15, 2019
The theory of evolution has been scientifically validated through multiple independent observations and discoveries ranging from paleontology to genetics.

While the idea of creation is at best a belief, and a flawed one.

Evolution happens because mutations and variations happen, natural selection determines which variation is beneficial in the population. Those who poses these mutation live on and pass their genes, these genes are then built upon by succeeding generations. That's just evolution in a nutshell.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 9:50pm On Jun 15, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

THE CAR DESIGNER IS NOT HAILED AS PERFECT, INFALLIBLE, OMNI-THIS AND OMNI-THAT.

GUY SOMETIMES YOUR COMPARISONS ARE MEANINGLESS.
LOL, your argument is simply saying the designer isn't perfect, it is not per say refuting the argument that it designed what it is said to design.

My comparison are mostly top notch and is an implication of the premise i am presented with.

Your primary premise: There is flaw in this design

Implication: It simply means the designer isn't perfect as said, doesn't refute the argument that it designed something. The comparison demonstrated to you the presumed flaws do not preclude design.

So, you have to try and make specific arguments: Are you arguing that the designer isn't perfect or that it didn't do what it is said to have done? Because both are entirely different arguments that have no bearing on each other.

2 Likes

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 9:52pm On Jun 15, 2019
hakeem4:

Evolution is a fact natural selection is the scientific theory

Trilobite, etc. They are many I cannot remember them off hand

LOL ok
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 10:50pm On Jun 15, 2019
I like the theory of evolution because it elegantly ties all we have observed about our world and multitude of species that we have around, with a coherent, cohesive and logical explanation.

I do not think intelligent design is true because an intelligent designer (on the magnitude proposed) has not been demonstrated to exist nor is there any evidence that such a being can exist.

I agree with you johnydon22 evolution does not preclude ID. Evolution could be the method the intelligent designer used to achieve its aims but that has to be sufficiently demonstrated.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:03am On Jun 16, 2019
Evolution and Intelligent Design both have no tangible evidence.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 1:35am On Jun 16, 2019
FOLYKAZE:
Evolution and Intelligent Design both have no tangible evidence.

What's your idea then? Any alternative?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by DoctorAlien(m): 2:20am On Jun 16, 2019
johnydon22:
Ex nihilo. Lol. So something can come out of nothing then?

That's weird
Except that God and His powerful, creative Word is not nothing. You can say that the world came into being from nothing by the power in the Word of God. "Let there be..." "And there was..."

1. You believe the Bible contains truth therefore whatever the bible says must be true.
Yes.

That's devoid of any logical chain of thought.
It is not more devoid of logical chain of thoughts than is the belief that matter is all there is, or the belief that all things arose through natural processes.

Wouldn't real knowledge transcend belief as a background
Not quite. Belief (of some sort) is necessary for any knowledge. To even begin with, we have to believe that we are thinking properly and rationally for us to make any progress in our quest for knowledge. We also have to believe that there is objective reality, and that this reality is governed by laws that are decipherable.

and allow questions to be answered based on verifiable qualities of its method and not because this thing right here says it is so and i believe this is so and therefore it is so.
it depends on which question is being asked. Mind you, experimentation cannot actually reveal all truths.

Doesn't this lead to a form of circular reasoning? Example: I believe this Batman vs Superman comic to be true, this comic book says someone can shoot laser from his eyes, therefore this must be true.
I don't know if what you have described is actually circular reasoning. But I don't think that my reasoning is circular. The question should be more of "what makes you think the Bible contains truth."? But that is a whole new, potentially big discussion.

Do you still a problem with this?

2. Outline some of these observations.
I no get strength abeg. Go find them for Creation.com

I'm not sure you can recognize something except you have an idea of what exactly you are looking for.
A modus tollens argument against the Bible should falsify it but don't ask me for one now.

But the problem is, your attachment is based on belief, how can someone effectively show that the Bible isn't true when belief bypasses the importance of the subject of belief being true?
Note that my belief is not exactly represented by "the Bible can never be proven wrong." My belief is more like this: "I think everything the Bible says is true. I am waiting for anyone who would prove that something the Bible said is wrong."

1 or 2 doesn't hurt.

Doesn't this primary reason belief necessitate dogma?

I think this demonstrates the problem with belief, it gives you a lense by which you look at things and if the primary basis (subject of belief) is untrue, the whole chain is likewise untrue. But you can't really explore this since the subject isn't held as truth by some deductive means of determining what is most likely to be true, but rather an exercise of trust on the conveyor of the subject hence belief.
I must take it that you're demonstrating a problem with our general system of seeking knowledge, because it involves belief in the veracity of the axioms that underly our logic.

Dogma is demonstrated when your fundamental reason is based on belief on the conveyor of the subject.
okay

Argument of design can/cannot be a dogma
Materialism/naturalism likewise.
whatever disparaging thing you can say about creationism can be said about naturalism too. Don't be deceived though: both have conveyors. For creationism, you can say it's the Bible. For naturalism, it can be the naturalist himself.

It depends really and how your train of thought starts.
If it starts by assuming the conveyor of the idea is true then it is a dogma.
anything that applies to creationism here applies to naturalism too.

I actually admire your honesty about your view
Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:11am On Jun 16, 2019
johnydon22:

What's your idea then? Any alternative?

Both evolution and Intelligent Design are pathway to finding truth. Although, there is no substantial fact to buttress any of these but there are substance of truth in both paths. At that, we should seek the whole truth instead of picking sides.

Like I posted on this forum, Ifa made mention of human evolution. And it states that Edun (Primate) and Ibeji (human twin) are cousins. Another verse also focus on Ape and human living together as one, how human became intellectual and modernized and how Ape were confined into forest. These all points to evolution.

Also, Ifa specifically point that there was a creation. It focus on human creation. And the task were undertaken by many deities. Obatala take control of flesh, Oduduwa taking over the internal system, Sango taking over sight and electrical flow, Ogun taking of bone, Orunmila taking of intelligence, Ajala taking of consciousness, Esu taking care reasoning, Ori taking care of reality. In all these, Yoruba people assume Ori is our creator (it is the spark of consciousness).

Maybe if I will pick side, I will stand with theistic evolution, an evolution process guided by divinity. Even at that, I am open to knowing more on evolution and Intelligent Design.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 9:15am On Jun 16, 2019
johnydon22:

What observations?

I don't know where you got this from BUT the earth nor the Universe isn't 6000 years old. It is far much older!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 11:11am On Jun 16, 2019
shadeyinka:

I don't know where you got this from BUT the earth nor the Universe isn't 6000 years old. It is far much older!
You don't know where i got it from? It was right there on DoctorAliens comment i quoted. Jesus!
DoctorAlien:
Okay here we go.

See where i got it now?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 11:17am On Jun 16, 2019
johnydon22:
You don't know where i got it from? It was right there on DoctorAliens comment i quoted. Jesus!

See where i got it now?
That is not true. Your information should be from the bible shouldn't it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Cool Yoruba Hymn / Waiting Till Marriage / Christians, Do You Agree With This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.