Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,397 members, 7,812,166 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:20 AM

Regionalism Better Than True Federalism - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Regionalism Better Than True Federalism (7966 Views)

Let Us Have Regionalism With FCT & Former Capitals Under The FG / True Federalism, Its Advantages And Implications. / Only True Federalism Can Resolve Nigeria’s Problems – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Trunquejnr(m): 10:04am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:
Thank you OP.

The State of Residence is a fraud, that some people from gully eroded land want to use to run away from their land. SAY NO STATE OF RESIDENCE. The same people will not even allow others to own a shop on their own land, talk less of land for building. This is the reason why SS people do not give C of O.

Accepting State of Residence is as good as committing cultural and political suicide. Out of all the other regions, SW will be the greatest loser if the nonsense State of Residence is adopted.

We must insist on Regionalism and not Federalism with the existing states. The region can even create more states -- Ibadan State, Oke ogun State, Ijebu State, Igbomina State etc.
later you come here and shout one Nigeria
why not let the erosion stricken tribe to go their way nonsense
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 10:05am On Jun 14, 2016
989900E:
Reasons like everyone is sharing on this thread is the reason why I support putting federalism/regionalism on the back burner till we come out of this sinking recession. While a good thing, it is a huge distraction.

Imagine having a coming together of say 10 representatives from each state to discuss restructuring (regionalism or federalism), it will take light years before a peaceful common sense agreement can be reached.

BTW, I have a picture in my head where minimum wage is say in the N75,000 range in Lagos, Ondo, Rivers, or Akwa Ibom for example, and it is say in the N30,000 range in states like Nassarawa, Ebonyi, Kwara, Sokoto for example, that will surely spur massive migration.

Salary disparity will also be a function of cost of living and wealth of the Region. Cost of living in Nassarawa can never be equal to that of Rivers.

Each Region will cap it's salary based on its capacity to pay.

Restructuring of this country is long overdue. The current system is not working.

2 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ayokellany: 10:05am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

What is with the whole hullabaloo about Lagos, why are other south western state trying so hard to append themselves to Lagos? Are the other south western states lazy and devoid of ideas/innovations that they can not imagine life without allocation? whats the whole noise about please?

If the whole Igbo race can be dying in droves to append its present and future of it's generation yet unborn to Lagos I believe other Yoruba appending themselves to a part of their land is a welcome development. This shows Igbo's have totally mortgaged their lives to Lagos are ridiculously LAZY N DEVOID OF IDEAS /INNOVATION This not only prove the red mud land is a cesspit of failures called humans. I will advice total annihilation to to guide against further wastage of federal resources to that region so that other important area can be developed for your likes to run to.

7 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 10:07am On Jun 14, 2016
J
Trunquejnr:

later you come here and shout one Nigeria
why not let the erosion stricken tribe to go their way nonsense

Who is holding the erosion stricken tribe from going, when they can all easily migrate back into their gully eroded region and blow up the Niger Bridge and thereafter declare secession. Very easy.

8 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 10:07am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Like in US, Federal Police will only take ove , case if it is of national dimension or if the crime was committed on a Federal property or area of federal jurisdiction.

To prevent what happened in the 60s where Zik, Balewa and Ahmadu Bello ganged up against Awo using Federal might, the constitution must specify (very explicit) when and how Federal can interfere in a regional issue.
I hope that will work though.

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 10:09am On Jun 14, 2016
ayokellany:

If the whole Igbo race can be dying in droves to append its present and future of it's generation yet unborn to Lagos I believe other Yoruba appending themselves to a part of their land is awelcome development. This shows Igbo's have totally mortgaged their lives to Lagos as ridiculously [b]LAZY N DEVOID OF IDEAS /INNOVATION . [/b]This not only prove the red mud land is a cesspit of failures calles humans. I will advice total annihilation to to guide against further wastage of federal resources to that region so that other important area can be developed for your likes to run to.

Brilliant.
Keep selling your properties and go on thinking that noise making will return it back to you.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 989900E: 10:10am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

regionalism allows a better recourse and provides a wide array of options to use for protecting regions from mass migration due to wage disparities.

Probably yes, I forgot to add another thing though about regionalism: do you think our present state governors will fancy such idea?
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 989900E: 10:15am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Salary disparity will also be required function of cost of living. Cost of living in Nassarawa can never be equal to that of Rivers.

Each Region will cap it's salary based on the ability to capacity to pay.

Restructuring of this country is long overdue. The current system is not working.

I thought about that too, but thought it has not prevented people from running to Lagos even now, nor prevented people from running to more prosperous countries.

We just seem to want more money.

For example, a middle rank police officer earning say N400K in Rivers vs a middle rank police officer earning N150k in Kwara. All he/she needs is an educated spouse who can get a good job too, and off they go to Rivers!

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by cocoduck: 10:18am On Jun 14, 2016
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
Osu ibo, we have heard you. But the fact still remains that all ibos must go back to iboland
The STFU when we talk about Biafra, BTW I have only spent 2 days and a few hours in the dirtiest city on earth.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 10:24am On Jun 14, 2016
989900E:

Probably yes, I forgot to add another thing though about regionalism: do you think our present state governors will fancy such idea?

There will still be states under Regions. In fact there will even be more creation of states that people have been advocating for for ages. Such as Ibadan State, Ijebu State, Lagos Mainland State, Lagos Island State, Oduduwa State Igbomina State etc. Just imagine the development those states will b to SW?

This will ensure rapid development of the Regions and they will effectively harness the resources available within the region.

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 10:26am On Jun 14, 2016
989900E:

I thought about that too, but thought it has not prevented people from running to Lagos even now, nor prevented people from running to more prosperous countries.

We just seem to want more money.

For example, a middle rank police officer earning say N400K in Rivers vs a middle rank police officer earning N150k in Kwara. All he/she needs is an educated spouse who can get a good job too, and off they go to Rivers!

It won't be that easy because your 400k in Rivers might equally b equivalent to the 150k of Kwara in purchasing power.

3 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 10:28am On Jun 14, 2016
989900E:

I believe SuperS1Panther has answered your question
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Kingspin(m): 10:30am On Jun 14, 2016
True federalism far better than regionalism as far as Nigeria situation is concern. States develop what you have.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ayokellany: 10:31am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

Brilliant.
Keep selling your properties and go on thinking that noise making will return it back to you.

Noise making won't, the kind of flogging your Igwe n co suffered in Ekiti will do the rest. Senselessly will be beaten away from your destiny even your father will be proud that Yoruba are such a darling. All the failures he encountered raising you to be a reasonable human will be auto corrected with relentless horse whip flogging of your body soul and destiny till your brain resets.

5 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 10:31am On Jun 14, 2016
Kingspin:
True federalism far better than regionalism as far as Nigeria situation is concern. States develop what you have.
regionalism seems better
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 10:36am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

What is with the whole hullabaloo about Lagos, why are other south western state trying so hard to append themselves to Lagos? Are the other south western states lazy and devoid of ideas/innovations that they can not imagine life without allocation? whats the whole noise about please?

Is it not understandable if other SWern states are appending themselves to Lagos, with glaring cultural, geographical, historical and population linkage to it

What can we call people from SE that are appending themselves to the same Lagos without any cultural or historical linkage to it?

8 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by blackmatter007: 10:40am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

You may have missed the main point here Sir. Doesn't true Federalism entail that States foot their Bills? How will government raise funds if they don't make an effort? I thought this was the most salient issue!

You are correct about states footing their bills, but the federal government will always foot its bill by getting its share of funds from it share of revenues Eg: tax, mineral resources and government agencies like immigration.

Also do not forget that when regionalism is practiced cost of federal government reduces.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 10:47am On Jun 14, 2016
Kingspin:

Regionalism is better sir. Or else, let us all keep celebrating ONE NIGERIA as it is.

In Regionalism, the comparative strength of the region can be harnessed to assist economically disadvantaged states eg NW Region can easily assist Kebbi, SS can easily assist Cross River without Oil, NC can assist Taraba, NE can assist Yobe, SE can assist Ebonyi and SW can assist Ekiti.

Political restructuring must not lead to demise of some states but must see to the prosperity of all in a concerted manner. Is it in the best interest of Kebbi to declare bankruptcy? Will the people not simply migrate to Sokoto and putting pressure on the facilities of Sokoto and it is just a matter of time before the such infrastructure will collapse under heavy pressure. That is what true federalism under the state will create.

True Federalism under the Region will ensure prosperity of all, creation of more states, more speedy developments and health competition within the regions, which will be better for the nation.

You might argue that people's allegiance will lie with their region. The truth is, are people's allegiance not with their regions now? When we are within the country my allegiance will lie with my region and immediately i take a step outside the country, my allegiance will lie wit the country.

You might say it will make secession easier. It will be difficult because the Regions will not be in control of the Army. Army will be a Federal Institution. Moreover, we can all insert it in our amended constitution that any region that wants to secede must give 25-30 years notice, just like Awo proposed which Zik rejected then. With that, all interest -- be it pro or anti-secession -- are well covered.

The only negative and risk of true federalism under region is the creation of regional lords, which i think it is more difficult now, unlike in the days of Awo, Zik and Bello, because people are more enlightened and educated.

3 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 10:47am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Is it not understandable if other SWern states are appending themselves to Lagos, with glaring cultural, geographical, historical and population linkage to it

What can we call people from SE that are appending themselves to the same Lagos without any cultural or historical linkage to it?

CONTEXT! thats the difference.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Kingspin(m): 10:52am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

regionalism seems better
No ooo. Every individual state must work hard. No state should work for others. No room for lazy state to exist, must contribute, na Work and chop.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 10:53am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

CONTEXT! thats the difference.

Whatever that means!!!!

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Kingspin(m): 11:10am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Regionalism is better sir. Or else, let us all keep celebrating ONE NIGERIA as it is.

In Regionalism, the comparative strength of the region can be harnessed to assist economically disadvantaged states eg NW Region can easily assist Kebbi, SS can easily assist Cross River without Oil, NC can assist Taraba, NE can assist Yobe, SE can assist Ebonyi and SW can assist Ekiti.

Political restructuring must not lead to demise of some states but must see to the prosperity of all in a concerted manner. Is it in the best interest of Kebbi to declare bankruptcy? Will the people not simply migrate to Sokoto and putting pressure on the facilities of Sokoto and it is just a matter of time before the such infrastructure will collapse under heavy pressure. That is what true federalism under the state will create.

True Federalism under the Region will ensure prosperity of all, creation of more states, more speedy developments and health competition within the regions, which will be better for the nation.

You might argue that people's allegiance will lie with their region. The truth is, are people's allegiance not with their regions now? When we are within the country my allegiance will lie with my region and immediately i take a step outside the country, my allegiance will lie wit the country.

You might say it will make secession easier. It will be difficult because the Regions will not be in control of the Army. Army will be a Federal Institution. Moreover, we can all insert it in our amended constitution that any region that wants to secede must give 25-30 years notice, just like Awo proposed which Zik rejected then. With that, all interest -- be it pro or anti-secession -- are well covered.

The only negative and risk of true federalism under region is the creation of regional lords, which i think it is more difficult now, unlike in the days of Awo, Zik and Bello, because people are more enlightened and educated.
Regionalism doesnt it look like the current state of Nigeria, where every state, hardworking and lazy ones run to Abuja for free food monthly. We must decentralize power completely. Create no room for state to totally depend on another. They must be position so as to become viable, competitive, creative, strong and idea project, development come in, good management set in, since you already know where u working is now your workchop. From what you stated, if Kebbi for example know that is what he/she generate within it state he will pay himself salary then he will sit up and think outside the box. States is to start working hard.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 11:17am On Jun 14, 2016
Kingspin:
No ooo. Every individual state must work hard. No state should work for others. No room for lazy state to exist, must contribute, na Work and chop.
there will still be States in the various regions
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 11:20am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Whatever that means!!!!

I taught you are educated? Are we talking about Federalism or trivia everyday poor man Nigerian discussion? Lagos is no man's Land, no it's our land?
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Kingspin(m): 11:30am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

there will still be States in the various regions
Yes. But we dont want something that look like the current system of Nigerian government. Every state has something to develop on.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 11:36am On Jun 14, 2016
Kingspin:
Yes. But we dont want something that look like the current system of Nigerian government. Every state has something to develop on.
"we" pardon me but by that I presume you mean "your region".
Like I earlier said regionalism is best for our/my region
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by CyerSeries: 11:38am On Jun 14, 2016
blackmatter007:

Exactly bro but I'm in support of the op, regionalism is the way to go although it will be a bit of a stretch since we already have states, but then! Regionalism will bring bigger development, massive infrastructural projects, far better than most states can but most importantly it spreads development to other areas with little or no resources.

For example, enugu has massive oil and gas meanwhile ebonyi, the closest to enugu has nothing, the proceeds from the sales of oil and gas in enugu, after much agreed deductions can be used to fund infrastructural works, and developmental plans in ebonyi because they are in the same region.

But if it were states practicing true federalism, funds from enugu cannot be shared with ebonyi rather after much agreed deductions, the rest goes to the FG leaving ebonyi to her faith. Thereby making some states super richer than the others and also limiting development to some part of the country.

Now can you see the disadvantage of "state true federalism"

Regionalism is the way to go so I'm with the op, tho not because of his stated concerns.
Who told you Ebonyi has nothing? .. This is the reason I support true federalism where every State will fend for herself.. You think Ebonyi State can't survive on her own? .. Go and get your facts right. I'm from Ebonyi and I don't support regionalism, let every State fend for herself.. angry
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 11:48am On Jun 14, 2016
CyerSeries:
Who told you Ebonyi has nothing? .. This is the reason I support true federalism where every State will fend for herself.. You think Ebonyi State can't survive on her own? .. Go and get your facts right. I'm from Ebonyi and I don't support regionalism, let every State fend for herself.. angry

Let ONE NIGERIA continue with some people waking up every morning and jogging around shouting biafrau.d or with militants waking up bombing and requesting for resource control.

You cannot eat your cake and have it back.

Why are SE people averse to Regionalism?

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Kingspin(m): 11:53am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:

"we" pardon me but by that I presume you mean "your region".
Like I earlier said regionalism is best for our/my region
If only is for your region not Nigeria then no need for Nigeria. existance. I dont see what is inside regionalism that good federal system cannot take care of for viable and rebust system to flow.. Moreover, nobody is taken any state from your region to elsewhere.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by CyerSeries: 11:59am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Let ONE NIGERIA continue with some people waking up every morning and jogging around shouting biafrau.d or with militants waking up bombing and requesting for resource control.

Why are you afraid of true federalism this Oshogbo tout? because you want to hide under your dilapidated brown roof in Oshogbo and claim Lagos. Why are you ashamed of your State of Osun this Oshogbo criminal? . Just fvck off my mention now angry
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by T9ksy(m): 11:59am On Jun 14, 2016
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
Bros, these y.ibos are not ready for federalism or regionalsim. They are not even genuinely intrested in their so called bi.afraud. What they want is a One Nigeria where the ibos would be the Alpha & Omega. That is the greedy foundation azikiwe and ironsi laid for them. A one Nigeria where the y.ibos would be in control of everything

Straight to the point!!

Even long before we got independence, the ibo.s have been blabbing away about their goal and destiny to emerge as the leading light in the forthcoming nation.

”Igbo domination of Nigeria is only a matter of time”- Charles Onyeama, a prominent igbo lawyer and member of the Central Legislative Council, 1945. (Page 204 ”Ethnic Politics In Kenya and Nigeria” by Godfrey Mwakikagile).

”It would appear that the God of Africa has created the Igbo nation to lead the children of Africa from the bondage of ages ….” – Dr Azikiwe, President of the Pan-Igbo Federal Union. (The West African Pilot of July 8, 1949).

The first statement from Charles Onyeama, which was made in 1945, was the first overtly tribal and divisive comment that was made and recorded in the politics of southern Nigeria in our history.The second statement from Zik, which was made in 1949 succinctly denote Ibo's conceptualisation Of One (united) Nigeria. A nation in which they intend to be top-dog. Is it any wonder then that within 3months of their short term at the helm of our political affairs, the first thing they did was to centralised govt apparatus when it's clear to even the blind that, we are at that moment in our political sojourn in the wilderness, anything but united. Ironsi's decree 34 was ibo's final tool to actualise their "domination" streak, prophesy and ultimate agenda.

In these aforementioned period, the notion of biafra never came in to their heads, in fact, they physically opposed those who dared to disintegrate their dream "One Nigeria". However, the moment they lost out in the power struggle, they suddenly discover biafra. Typical, if these folks can't be in control, they destroy. Same way they destroyed the NYM simply because they were not allowed to have their own way by imposing their candidate, against all party policies, on the party.

3 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Kingspin(m): 12:04pm On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Every state has something to development on. So let them go ahead and bring out their best. The same way we have Abuja, Lagos, portharcourt is developed, Ebony, Ekiti and Kogi could develop more than them. Is not news that Abuja has not develop states in Nigeria but it will become news if Every is Abuja or Dubai. So federalism mean well for Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Ikwerre Chief Destroys 50 Years Of Propaganda / Deborah Samuel Was Killed For This Reason-Course-Mate / Soludo Recieves UN Resident Co-ordinator, Marthias Schmale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.