Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,509 members, 7,812,575 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Regionalism Better Than True Federalism - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Regionalism Better Than True Federalism (7979 Views)

Let Us Have Regionalism With FCT & Former Capitals Under The FG / True Federalism, Its Advantages And Implications. / Only True Federalism Can Resolve Nigeria’s Problems – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 6:44am On Jun 14, 2016
blackmatter007:

Every state will make an effort sir, simply because they are now closer to the people with more powers and decisions vested upon them, so it is a must that they perform because they No longer have the federal government to blame for non performance.

You may have missed the main point here Sir. Doesn't true Federalism entail that States foot their Bills? How will government raise funds if they don't make an effort? I thought this was the most salient issue!

2 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 6:46am On Jun 14, 2016
blackmatter007:

Every state will make an effort sir, simply because they are now closer to the people with more powers and decisions vested upon them, so it is a must that they perform because they No longer have the federal government to blame for non performance.

I do hope so though, cause if that does not happen it is going to be full on anarchy.

2 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 6:54am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

You may have missed the main point here Sir. Doesn't true Federalism entail that States foot their Bills? How will government raise funds if they don't make an effort? I thought this was the most salient issue!
this is my concern
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 6:56am On Jun 14, 2016
ugohemma:
u see it, my betrayal brothers have started again, so out of 420 elders none of them can come up with this ...but after we agree on fiscal federalism u now go to the back and reject it...u see Yorouba never change.....1967 playing itself here
we are having an adult conversation here in the interest of our region, and if you can not interject in a matured manner I suggest you butt off.

13 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by SuperS1Panther: 7:04am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

With regionalism it will be easier for the country to disintegrate.

Not really. The Regions will not have Army now, though they will have Regional Police.

Army will still remain within the purview of FG.

The advantages of Regionalism out weighs that of State True Federalism.

My only fear is Regionalism might create some Regional lords that might be too powerful. That is left to the people in that region.

9 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 7:11am On Jun 14, 2016
pulsa:
With the recent spate of calls for true federalism from several quarters of the country, I took it pertinent to research its implication for the south west and I was not impressed.
There was one thing it required which should never be allowed to see the light of day; namely State of residency.
Federalism requires state of residency over the state of origin now used, as a Yoruba man this is tantamount to us committing suicide, imagining the massive immigration(invasion) into our region send shivers down my spine; seeing as it will most likely be far better than all other regions.
To this end I feel that regionalism will favour us south westerners seeing as it allows border control to a large extent, abi ki le ro (or what do you guys think).

Apparently your research was hurried done without a careful consideration of important factors that make Lagos and Ogun State (because of positive externalities from Lagos) viable. What are the IGR of other Southwest States?
Lagos is what it is today not just because of its geography (the Ports), infact the demographic composition of Lagos is to a large the reason it is bouyant. ou probably are not aware of the percentage of Lagos IGR that taxes account for, or do you think the government taxes the bridges or poles? The bulk of the taxes generated by Lagos State come from Business people who are mostly non-yorubas and in exchange, the Lagos State government is supposed to ensure a conducive and people/business friendly environment, but far from it. My point is that the Lagos State government is the better-off Party in this relationship.
You need to do your research again cause you omitted the most important consideration. Or, you are probably from Osun or Ibadan and advocate regionalism so that your State is not left in an economic wilderness.
I am not tribalistic but don't get it twisted, the SS will be better off in the long-run should through Federalism come!
I am not from the ss!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by attackgat: 7:11am On Jun 14, 2016
If Nigeria is to be restructured, it must be on regional lines. All the states must be dissolved and a referendum held to seek which of the ethnic nationalities, who are actually the real federating units, would like to come together as a region.

8 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by AngelAhnie(f): 7:18am On Jun 14, 2016
Caseless:
balderdash!
Casey, good morning
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by HurtgenForest: 7:34am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

SWLagos has the highest in flock of migrants from other regions.

SW will be better because the region will be able to develop at it's own exponential rate.

Fixed.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:36am On Jun 14, 2016
Wow! I'm truly enjoying this...mind-blowing discussion. Nne! Where is my peanut bottle!
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by RockHard: 7:39am On Jun 14, 2016
HurtgenForest:

Fixed.

SuperS1Panther is absolutely correct. Abeg which geopolitical zone does Lagos fall under?? Abi where is Lagos situated if not in the same SW?? Or better still, why not tell us the geopolitical zone that better fits that position than the SW, since you are obviously having issues coming to terms with a simple fact??

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by kenny987(f): 7:50am On Jun 14, 2016
Caseless:
balderdash!

That's all? tongue

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by FlyoruB: 7:57am On Jun 14, 2016
@pulsa: I don't really care whether it is called Federalism or Regionalism, as long as it gives the Yorubas (rather than non-Yorubas) the exclusive right and freedom to decide for themselves how to chart their own destiny as a people. Regionalism did not prevent Zik, an igboman/non-Yoruba, from trying to become Premiere of the then Western Region headquartered at Ibadan (not even Lagos). Neither did it prevent the central govt (the unholy alliance of Balewa/Ahmadu Bello/Akintola) from undue interference via federal might and destabilization of the Western region and jailing Awo. Personally I am for any arrangement that provides a clear path to secession.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by Caseless: 8:08am On Jun 14, 2016
AngelAhnie:
Casey, good morning
baby angel, where have you been? I've missed you.

Goodmorning!
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ckmayoca: 8:11am On Jun 14, 2016
Thebachelor:

l see your point. But have you looked at it from this perspective,that with true federalism - allowing each state to exploit its own potentials - there will be a higher propensity for every ''Jack and Jill'' to migrate back to their state of origin.

Say,for example,Nasarawa state (home of solid minerals) decides to establish solid minerals industries that will engage in the extraction of these minerals and transforming them into finished goods. These industries will attract Nasarawa state indigenes back home as they will be better off offering their services to their states than rendering it else where.

The same thing is applicable to other states because every ''Jack and Jill'' will most likely run to their states and seek out the available opportunities. So contrary to what you assumed,fiscal federalism will reduce the number of non-indigenes flocking to the southwest in general and Lagos in particular.

Bros na only talk sense so far on this thread. Some areas will surely be depopulated cos the states will created opportunity for them to work than living in some area and doing gateman or riding Okada. Even seaports in areas close to the sea working and no point travelling far to clear your good. Nearness to the sea and functioning airport made the companies close to the port state and airport.

1 Like

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by HurtgenForest: 8:16am On Jun 14, 2016
RockHard:

SuperS1Panther is absolutely correct. Abeg which geopolitical zone does Lagos fall under?? Abi where is Lagos situated if not in the same SW?? Or better still, why not tell us the geopolitical zone that better fits that position than the SW, since you are obviously having issues coming to terms with a simple fact??

I will open a thread soon on what our proposed regionalism should look like.

Stay tuned. cool
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ckmayoca: 8:16am On Jun 14, 2016
Op I see ur few as someone who is watching a football game on a tv set and knowing more than the players and the coach. Every state will have its infrastructures put in place like sea port and and mineral exploration which will create them jobs. Ppl will depopulate some area and the area gdp will surely drop abit. So it's a game or slight win and slight lose.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ImpersonatorSS: 8:24am On Jun 14, 2016
ugohemma:
u see it, my betrayal brothers have started again, so out of 420 elders none of them can come up with this ...but after we agree on fiscal federalism u now go to the back and reject it...u see Yorouba never change.....1967 playing itself here

Dont mind the OP. He is just trying to be mischievous.
The true federalism we are clamouring for is the same as regionalism. It's just that Nigeria now has 36 regions as against the 3/4 we had pre 1967.
Any state that cannot survive can either merge with any other willing state or be completely taken over by the FG.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ImpersonatorSS: 8:26am On Jun 14, 2016
HurtgenForest:

Fixed.

There are more ibos anywhere in the SW than there are Yorubas in the SE.

4 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ImpersonatorSS: 8:28am On Jun 14, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Not really. The Regions will not have Army now, though they will have Regional Police.

Army will still remain within the purview of FG.

The advantages of Regionalism out weighs that of State True Federalism.

My only fear is Regionalism might create some Regional lords that might be too powerful. That is left to the people in that region.

That is why we should stick to the current 36-state structure as we opt for true federalism.
The states have almost become homogeneous. Merging them into regions may cause fresh problems.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 8:30am On Jun 14, 2016
RockHard:

What is with the whole hullabaloo about Lagos, why are other south western state trying so hard to append themselves to Lagos? Are the other south western states lazy and devoid of ideas/innovations that they can not imagine life without allocation? whats the whole noise about please?
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 8:31am On Jun 14, 2016
Shewunoshewa:

Dont mind the OP. He is just trying to be mischievous.
The true federalism we are clamouring for is the same as regionalism. It's just that Nigeria now has 36 regions as against the 3/4 we had pre 1967.
Any state that cannot survive can either merge with any other willing state or be completely taken over by the FG.

Taken over by FG ke? let them merge if they can not sustain themselves standing alone.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ImpersonatorSS: 8:33am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

Taken over by FG ke? let them merge if they can not sustain themselves standing alone.

What if no one wants to merge with them?
If your state is making a lot, will it want to carry another state's burdens on its head?
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by AngelAhnie(f): 8:34am On Jun 14, 2016
Caseless:
baby angel, where have you been? I've missed you.

Goodmorning!
The mods banned me for no reason
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by ImpersonatorSS: 8:34am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

What is with the whole hullabaloo about Lagos, why are other south western state trying so hard to append themselves to Lagos? Are the other south western states lazy and devoid of ideas/innovations that they can not imagine life without allocation? whats the whole noise about please?

Because Lagos is the common heritage of all Yorubas. Lagos is the melting pot for all Yorubas.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by RockHard: 8:36am On Jun 14, 2016
HurtgenForest:

I will open a thread soon on what our proposed regionalism should look like.

Stay tuned. cool
Dude, you are free to harbor whatever fantastic ideas and propositions in that silly mind of yours coz last time i checked it's not a crime to dream. cheesy Now how does that change the fact that Lagos is in the SW?

7 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 8:47am On Jun 14, 2016
Shewunoshewa:

What if no one wants to merge with them?
If your state is making a lot, will it want to carry another state's burdens on its head?

Thats not how things work.
Nigeria is basically a virgin ground, a big ''forest'' with a large market....there is a lot to be done. What you should make out of this is that there are over a million opportunities!
The return on investments is expected...and is usually often very high in virgin societies like Nigeria, all states should be viable for the first 50 years because you dont even need to crack your head to find a gap. Everything needs to be done in Nigeria.
Population/no is a very important criteria for growth. There are loads of literature's that support this claim, but you need not look far, take Lagos for example. Do you know how Lagos earns a significant portion of its IGR? TAX! You should know the relationship between tax revenue and labor size!
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by HurtgenForest: 8:49am On Jun 14, 2016
Shewunoshewa:

There are more ibos anywhere in the SW than there are Yorubas in the SE.

I agree.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by RockHard: 8:50am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

That is because the Yorubas are wading off the land-grabbing ambitions of non-Yorubas who are making a habit of separating that piece of Yoruba real estate from the rest of the SW geopolitical zone/region. Yorubas like myself are just simply setting the records straight in that context. We will continue to remind such mischief makers that Lagos is SW and every true Yorubaman will gladly defend the territorial integrity of Lagos with his blood if need be.

10 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 8:52am On Jun 14, 2016
Shewunoshewa:

Because Lagos is the common heritage of all Yorubas. Lagos is the melting pot for all Yorubas.

Thats so false! Lagos is located in the SW. Nothing more! Lagos is a high-breed society, very very diverse and here in lies the strength and economic strides!
Melting point ko, meltin point ni.
Move your lazy asses and find productive things to do...they litter everywhere!

2 Likes

Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by pulsa(m): 8:54am On Jun 14, 2016
1freshdude:

Apparently your research was hurried done without a careful consideration of important factors that make Lagos and Ogun State (because of positive externalities from Lagos) viable. What are the IGR of other Southwest States?
Lagos is what it is today not just because of its geography (the Ports), infact the demographic composition of Lagos is to a large the reason it is bouyant. ou probably are not aware of the percentage of Lagos IGR that taxes account for, or do you think the government taxes the bridges or poles? The bulk of the taxes generated by Lagos State come from Business people who are mostly non-yorubas and in exchange, the Lagos State government is supposed to ensure a conducive and people/business friendly environment, but far from it. My point is that the Lagos State government is the better-off Party in this relationship.
You need to do your research again cause you omitted the most important consideration. Or, you are probably from Osun or Ibadan and advocate regionalism so that your State is not left in an economic wilderness.
I am not tribalistic but don't get it twisted, the SS will be better off in the long-run should through Federalism come!
I am not from the ss!
thanks for your suggestion and yes I definitely missed that point, this is actually what I wanted when creating this thread; to see other viewpoint and outlook to my points raised.
And note I am not a resident of Lagos but also a lagosian.
Re: Regionalism Better Than True Federalism by 1freshdude: 8:55am On Jun 14, 2016
RockHard:

That is because the Yorubas are wading off the land-grabbing ambitions of non-Yorubas who are making a habit of separating that piece of Yoruba real estate from the rest of the SW geopolitical zone/region. Yorubas like myself are just simply setting the records straight in that context. We will continue to remind such mischief makers that Lagos is SW and every true Yorubaman will gladly defend the territorial integrity of Lagos with his blood if need be.

This sounds delusional. What do you mean by land grabbing? You mean people do not fulfill the requirements for land and property transfer before owning them? Do you know the no of Yoruba persons that have properties in London and everywhere out side Yoruba land? whats your point again?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shettima Receives 100 Orphans Studying At A Boarding School In Kano / Anonymous Deceived All Of You / President Jonathan Appoints 22 New Judges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.