Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,098 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy (55898 Views)

41 Nigerians Deported From Germany, Switzerland, Four Others / Unruly Behavior: 43 Nigerians Deported From Germany, Belgium And Italy / I'm Taking A Train Ride From Chicago To New York... Live Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 5:44am On Jul 13, 2016
jamesoo1:
if you have time you may visit long lake, Lugano Switzerland, is just 1 hour from the Milan Central Station by train, it cost 14 Euro for one way trip, I just came back from there yesterday, is a very nice place to visit.

Wowz!

I leave for 9ja on Friday *sobs*
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 5:46am On Jul 13, 2016
fredoooooo:
Wanderlustian, I only recognized the pope John Paul 2 tomb and inside the Vatican ... you have a limited time Sha .
The last time I was there ,I would walked from Roma termini to piazza Venezia . Sit at piazza novona for Caffè. .. Italian Caffè not all these American and British water Coffee oo grin
Did you see the trevi fountain before you leave rome ... ? was under construction the last time I was there .

Venezia is cool cool cool , I was there some years back I could remember my hotel was in mestre ( 5 minutes) train to venezia it was fun ...
In D'uomo(milano) and Venice you're most likely to bump into a celebrity. ...
Where as in Rome central you will be taking caffe and eating in a restaurant with politicians and you won't even recognize them .. it's crazy the gaps poverty created between us in Africa ...
I'm waiting for the pictures from your venezia trip o, enjoy yourself on the boat .. grin

I stayed at a hostel just close to the Roma Termini

I agree, two weeks is just too short!

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 5:47am On Jul 13, 2016
biggiyke:

nice to know you both are enjoying your trip.
i have a quick question though. when you applied for your visa, did u submit a confirmed flight reservation as part of your application? i am about submitting my german visa application.

Flight reservation yes. Just booking online. That's all.

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 5:50am On Jul 13, 2016
eunore1:
Wanderlustian, I heard there was a train accident in Italy. Far be it from you and your baby that you were involved, kindly post something to confirm this assertion. God protect you and your baby and bring you back home safely in Jesus name. Amen.

I heard about it too. It is such a frightening situation I can only say its the devils work. How can two trains collide head on. Was someone sleeping. It happened in a remote part of Italy though. Thanks for your prayers. God bless you.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by biggiyke(m): 9:38am On Jul 13, 2016
wanderlustian:

Flight reservation yes. Just booking online. That's all.
u mean u paid fully for ur flight b4 getting the visa? what if u hadn't gotten it? just wondering.

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Kexorcist(m): 8:19pm On Jul 13, 2016
Wow, I skip out for a few days and a lot happens here. I'll have to read it and catch up.
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Turco: 8:33pm On Jul 13, 2016
wanderlustian:
I'm starting this thread to chronicle my journey across Europe this summer.

I've never been to Europe before and german embassy gave me 2 weeks visa, so I can as well visit all the places I can while at it.

I'm travelling with a 10 month old baby. She's pretty strong (we've been on the road since she was 1 week old, and travelling since she was 1 month old, so I'm guessing she will be a good sport).

I have family and friends in Milan, but I'm arriving in Frankfurt 1st, then taking a bus from Frankfurt to Milan through Switzerland (cheaper than the train).

If you have experience in taking this kind of journey please help me draw out a plan.

I personally will love to visit Munich, Berlin, Geneva, Venice and Rome as well, but I think it will be quite a herculean task visiting each city with a baby strapped to my back or chest.

I'm starting the journey at the end of this month, and even if you can't come with me, stay hooked to this thread! grin

Hello,

I am a Turkish citizen living in Turkey. I've travelled two times across the Europe by train and by plane in recent years. My information about traveling is quite fresh. I couldn't catch all topic but you can ask me whatever you want about anything. Feel free to ask. Safe Journey in advance.
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by otokx(m): 3:18am On Jul 14, 2016
Safe journey as you come back.
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Bandeco(m): 7:12am On Jul 14, 2016
wanderlustian:

I heard about it too. It is such a frightening situation I can only say[b] its the devils work[/b]. How can two trains collide head on. Was someone sleeping. It happened in a remote part of Italy though. Thanks for your prayers. God bless you.
Lmao @ the bolded.... And who is the devil? Perhaps The devil is the dubious train pilot that refuse to heed to necessary safety precautions before takin off. Perhaps the devil is the driver who might have been drunk before embarking on such journey.
The world will be a much better place if we can extricate this superstitions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 7:30am On Jul 14, 2016
biggiyke:

u mean u paid fully for ur flight b4 getting the visa?
what if u hadn't gotten it?
just wondering.

I did not say I paid for the flight. I said an online booking was just fine

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 7:35am On Jul 14, 2016
I tried to resist... But my wanderlust got the best of me..
Here I am, at the bus terminal on my way to Venice. I hope to return tonight and head straight yp the airport for the journey home.

More updates in a bit.

For the dude that wanted a pix of my shoe with Oyinbo in the background.

Here it is! grin

8 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 14, 2016
hahahahaha oyinbo leg no follow nah. lol ;Dhahahahaha oyinbo leg no follow nah. lol
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 15, 2016
Madam if you travel through the land of wicked savages, may the gods of our land guide and protect you and your baby every step of your journey.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by fredoooooo: 8:45am On Jul 15, 2016
wanderlustian come and update o , abi you don dey eat eba forget us for here. .. grin
How are you and your baby ?

3 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by abduldope(m): 10:48pm On Jul 15, 2016
wanderlustian:
There are a lot of Trams along the road.

I don't understand how car and trams will be sharing road. To cross the road, i have to double check.

lol this post got me cracking

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 3:40pm On Jul 16, 2016
Sorry people I have been in transit forever. We just got into Nigeria, the flight left just in time before the Turks decided to stage a coup.

So we got to Venice that day, it was so crowded. Dunno where there are so many tourists all over Italy.

5 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 3:54pm On Jul 16, 2016
I purchased a water bus ticket for 7.50 euros and join the queue heading to the Grand Canal

3 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 4:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
Venice is built on an archipelago of 117 islands formed by 177 canals in a shallow lagoon, connected by 409 bridges.[49] In the old centre, the canals serve the function of roads, and almost every form of transport is on water or on foot. In the 19th century, a causeway to the mainland brought the Venezia Santa Lucia railway station to Venice, and the Ponte della Libertà road causeway and parking facilities (in Tronchetto island and in piazzale Roma) were built during the 20th century. Beyond the road and rail land entrances at the northern edge of the city, transportation within the city remains (as it was in centuries past) entirely on water or on foot. Venice is Europe's largest urban car-free area. Venice is unique in Europe, in having remained a sizable functioning city in the 21st century entirely without motorcars or trucks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 4:33pm On Jul 16, 2016
The classical Venetian boat is the gondola, (plural: gondole) although it is now mostly used for tourists, or for weddings, funerals, or other ceremonies, or as 'traghetti' (sing.: traghetto) to cross the Canale Grande in the absence of a nearby bridge. Many gondolas are lushly appointed with crushed velvet seats and Persian rugs. Less well-known is the smaller sandolo.

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 4:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
Important notice grin cool

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by chukxie(m): 4:38pm On Jul 16, 2016
Dear Op: You should be given an award for your travelogue. It's by far the best I've read on NL. How's your strong little girl doing? My regards to her.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by wanderlustian(f): 4:41pm On Jul 16, 2016
This is San Marco, one of the busiest parts of Venice

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by mexxy1(m): 4:45pm On Jul 16, 2016
I've really enjoyed reading your posts from day one. You sure know how to spend a holiday and your attention to detail is very impressive.

I'm even more fascinated by your humility and prudence especially financially. Thank you for sharing.

Welcome back. I wish you and your baby well.

5 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2016
if nah Nigeria now we for sandfill everywhere see how oyinbo arrange everything. . I will have to apply to that city for my school..

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Darey00(m): 5:35pm On Jul 16, 2016
tongue u no buy anything come for us nii? undecided

1 Like

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Nobody: 3:32am On Jul 17, 2016
What country are you looking at visiting next...after you 'settle' ofcourse? @wanderlustian
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by seguno2: 8:38am On Jul 17, 2016
wanderlustian:
Venice is built on an archipelago of 117 islands formed by 177 canals in a shallow lagoon, connected by 409 bridges.[49] In the old centre, the canals serve the function of roads, and almost every form of transport is on water or on foot. In the 19th century, a causeway to the mainland brought the Venezia Santa Lucia railway station to Venice, and the Ponte della Libertà road causeway and parking facilities (in Tronchetto island and in piazzale Roma) were built during the 20th century. Beyond the road and rail land entrances at the northern edge of the city, transportation within the city remains (as it was in centuries past) entirely on water or on foot. Venice is Europe's largest urban car-free area. Venice is unique in Europe, in having remained a sizable functioning city in the 21st century entirely without motorcars or trucks.

Lagos state and other riverine states can learn from the Venice people.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by Ligxy(f): 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
Yay!! I wish this thread will never come to an end. I enjoyed every bit of it. @wanderlustian, thanks so much, God bless you for this. You just made me realize that I don't need to have millions to live my dream. Wow!!!

5 Likes

Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by abimbawealth(f): 2:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by winnielle(f): 6:11pm On Jul 17, 2016
wanderlustian....I'm truly wowed from page 1...the thread is captivating I must say. Thank God for journey mercies.. Regards to our Lil globetrotter... She's amazingly strong...Welcome back home..
Re: I'm Taking A Road Trip Across Europe - Germany, Switzerland And Italy by simababe(f): 8:47pm On Jul 17, 2016
Welcome back home wonderlustian.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. / "Help Me Buy Food Too"- Lady Tells Her Bolt Driver (pictures) / Small Car Spotted Carrying A Huge Container On A Nigerian Road (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.