Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE (32558 Views)

Are True Christians Suppose To Participate In Politics? / Why True Christians See Leah Sheribu As A Huge Source Of Inspiration / "Christians Should Apologise To Gays" - Pope Francis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by cococandy(f): 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
bebe2:

Christian shud not marry too,

Abi no be swearing , oathing or vowing be dat one?
lol grin
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by 9jatatafo(m): 6:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
Another hungry author
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by geraob1: 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2016
Dear OP if you have ever been to the hospital ever. Den u need to shut d 4ck up....
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Oahray: 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2016
Oath taking is not a sin anywhere in the Bible. What Jesus condemned was ARBITRARY swearing (even in flimsy issues) to validate one's claims and support one's promises as was common with Jews in his time.

Instead we are to let our 'yes' mean 'yes'; you don't need to swear to validate your everyday speech if you always keep your word. He was teaching a principle. What's more, the Bible depicts such a sworn promise as a serious matter that must not be taken lightly.

A vow is about the same thing as an oath. For example, the wedding vow involves swearing to be with one's marriage mate for life. The Hippocratic oath is barely any different.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Read the Hippocratic oath and check the medical logo.......then come back and tell me this. Medicine is of an ancient tradition that most doctors know nothing about. Read about the history of curing diseases, you will see that medical profession is like a cult.
You my brother needs alot of education, your opinion is ANTI CHRIST

I am a Doctor
I am a Christian
I am happy with my profession and practise
I believe Jesus uses me in practise of medicine to touch and change lives for good.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Sgwash: 6:51pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....
I believe there are Christians in here. I am here to speak on an issue which I have taken time to think through.
I see a lot of christian folks in the medical profession and most times I ask what they are doing there. Every medical doctor is under an oath which Its origin is not fully known. Before u can be a doctor, u will have to swear the HIPPOCRATIC OATH......on the day of your INDUCTION. in the Christian faith, it was clearly stated that swearing of any form is not allowed and considered a sin. Why then do I see Christians in medical school? Are they not aware of this OATH? Or did they just choose to turn a blind eye to the truth?
The medical profession has always been like a cult since the days of Hippocrates. It was initially designed with knowledge of secrets of the practice that should only be passed down to children of physicians in the olden days. Medical practise actually started like a brotherhood/cult.....the medical logo says it all(a snake wrapping a cross).....my point here is anybody who calls himself a true Christian cannot become a medical doctor without SIN (TAKING THE OATH).

So my dear Christian friends, are you really for God or do you choose to go against his instruction just because you want to enjoy the gains of being a medical doctor?.......THATS BEING A HIPPOCRITE!

Someone will sleep at night, and wake up in the morning to start spewing shit!!! I guess this one is one of those bittered fellow that couldn't secure an admission to study Medicine
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Sgwash: 6:52pm On Jun 17, 2016
ValentineMary:
Ironically one of the attributed writers of ur gospel (Luke) was a physician. And OP the snake sign is not a cult sign ooo in fact it was gotten from the story of Moses when God told Moses to make a bronze serpent.

Christians on nairaland would not kill me with laughter.
Don't mind d delusional OP
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....
I believe there are Christians in here. I am here to speak on an issue which I have taken time to think through.
I see a lot of christian folks in the medical profession and most times I ask what they are doing there. Every medical doctor is under an oath which Its origin is not fully known. Before u can be a doctor, u will have to swear the HIPPOCRATIC OATH......on the day of your INDUCTION. in the Christian faith, it was clearly stated that swearing of any form is not allowed and considered a sin. Why then do I see Christians in medical school? Are they not aware of this OATH? Or did they just choose to turn a blind eye to the truth?
The medical profession has always been like a cult since the days of Hippocrates. It was initially designed with knowledge of secrets of the practice that should only be passed down to children of physicians in the olden days. Medical practise actually started like a brotherhood/cult.....the medical logo says it all(a snake wrapping a cross).....my point here is anybody who calls himself a true Christian cannot become a medical doctor without SIN (TAKING THE OATH).

So my dear Christian friends, are you really for God or do you choose to go against his instruction just because you want to enjoy the gains of being a medical doctor?.......THATS BEING A HIPPOCRITE!
I won't ask u the type of WEED u consumed.
All I can say is that U LACK basic sense

1 Like

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by foody(f): 7:06pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Read the Hippocratic oath and check the medical logo.......then come back and tell me this. Medicine is of an ancient tradition that most doctors know nothing about. Read about the history of curing diseases, you will see that medical profession is like a cult.
Could you please send the link so as to peruse it in details.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Ifebazz(m): 7:07pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

What have you been smoking? Just say the truth, it will set you free from this deficiency in brain cells.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Sgwash: 7:07pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

d oath u r stupidly talking about, is it sworn in secrecy!!! Is it not done on d day of induction(like u rightly said) an event attended by all and sundry. Family, friends, wellwishers... How d bleeding fvck is it a clandestine activity? Gullible Nigerians have made a mess of Christianity... people such as this OP. They claim to b saintly, buh when u see them act, one can swear that hell itself spat them out...
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Sgwash: 7:10pm On Jun 17, 2016
SirWere:
The delusions continue....

Pathetic people who can't make the cutoff here springing nonsense...

Carry on, it's a free world....
That's d classical scenario here... He should channel his aggression to JAMB...
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by eyinjuege: 7:10pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3 abi na goofman3

This is one of the few times my hands are itching me to shake some sense into someone!

Arghhhhh.

Now, hope you also know that people that go to church and swear a marital oath to each other are also not real Christians according to your analogy.
Meanwhile, regarding the snake. Its as biblical as it could ever get.
Can you go to your Bible and check numbers 21:9 where God told Moses to make a bronze snake and put it high up on a pole for people to look at and get healed?
Pls, go and study your bible, and stop coming here to yarn funny stuff.
Most people claiming to be holier than the pope are usually more clueless than anything about the God they serve.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Ifebazz(m): 7:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
peter1616:
Op is as if one useless pastor ve brain washed you.
Better think right and stop deceiving urself .
The pastor didn't just brainwash him, he exchanged his brain with offering box. Anu moans.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Paulonice(m): 7:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
...Read about the history of curing diseases, you will see that medical profession is like a cult.
thank God u said like a cult, that means its not a cult, so my friend, don't get people confuse!!!
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Sgwash: 7:16pm On Jun 17, 2016
robosky02:
OP let me educate you a bit it seems you are an ignoramus,
you would have simply ask why the oath.
because the benefitof MEDICINE to humanity can not be quantified.

This is the original version of the Hippocratic Oath, in Greek and then followed by the English translation:

ὄμνυμι Ἀπόλλωνα ἰητρὸν καὶ Ἀσκληπιὸν καὶ Ὑγείαν καὶ Πανάκειαν καὶ θεοὺς πάντας τε καὶπάσας, ἵστορας ποιεύμενος, ἐπιτελέα ποιήσειν κατὰ δύναμιν καὶ κρίσιν ἐμὴν ὅρκον τόνδε καὶσυγγραφὴν τήνδε:

ἡγήσεσθαι μὲν τὸν διδάξαντά με τὴν τέχνην ταύτην ἴσα γενέτῃσιν ἐμοῖς,καὶ βίου κοινώσεσθαι, καὶ χρεῶν χρηΐζοντι μετάδοσιν ποιήσεσθαι, καὶ γένος τὸ ἐξ αὐτοῦἀδελφοῖς ἴσον ἐπικρινεῖν ἄρρεσι, καὶ διδάξειν τὴν τέχνην ταύτην, ἢν χρηΐζωσι μανθάνειν,ἄνευ μισθοῦ καὶ συγγραφῆς, παραγγελίης τε καὶ ἀκροήσιος καὶ τῆς λοίπης ἁπάσης μαθήσιοςμετάδοσιν ποιήσεσθαι υἱοῖς τε ἐμοῖς καὶ τοῖς τοῦ ἐμὲ διδάξαντος, καὶ μαθητῇσισυγγεγραμμένοις τε καὶ ὡρκισμένοις νόμῳ ἰητρικῷ, ἄλλῳ δὲ οὐδενί.

διαιτήμασί τε χρήσομαιἐπ᾽ ὠφελείῃ καμνόντων κατὰ δύναμιν καὶ κρίσιν ἐμήν, ἐπὶ δηλήσει δὲ καὶ ἀδικίῃ εἴρξειν.

οὐδώσω δὲ οὐδὲ φάρμακον οὐδενὶ αἰτηθεὶς θανάσιμον, οὐδὲ ὑφηγήσομαι συμβουλίην τοιήνδε: ὁμοίως δὲ οὐδὲ γυναικὶ πεσσὸν φθόριον δώσω.

ἁγνῶς δὲ καὶ ὁσίως διατηρήσω βίοντὸν ἐμὸν καὶ τέχνην τὴν ἐμήν.

οὐ τεμέω δὲ οὐδὲ μὴν λιθιῶντας, ἐκχωρήσω δὲ ἐργάτῃσιν ἀνδράσι πρήξιος τῆσδε.

ἐς οἰκίας δὲ ὁκόσας ἂν ἐσίω, ἐσελεύσομαι ἐπ᾽ ὠφελείῃκαμνόντων, ἐκτὸς ἐὼν πάσης ἀδικίης ἑκουσίης καὶ φθορίης, τῆς τε ἄλλης καὶ ἀφροδισίωνἔργων ἐπί τε γυναικείων σωμάτων καὶ ἀνδρῴων, ἐλευθέρων τε καὶ δούλων.

ἃ δ᾽ ἂν ἐνθεραπείῃ ἢ ἴδω ἢ ἀκούσω, ἢ καὶ ἄνευ θεραπείης κατὰ βίον ἀνθρώπων, ἃ μὴ χρή ποτεἐκλαλεῖσθαι ἔξω, σιγήσομαι, ἄρρητα ἡγεύμενος εἶναι τὰ τοιαῦτα.
ὅρκον μὲν οὖν μοι τόνδεἐπιτελέα ποιέοντι, καὶ μὴ συγχέοντι, εἴη ἐπαύρασθαι καὶ βίου καὶ τέχνης δοξαζομένῳ παρὰπᾶσιν ἀνθρώποις ἐς τὸν αἰεὶ χρόνον: παραβαίνοντι δὲ καὶ ἐπιορκέοντι, τἀναντία τούτων.[4]

the English translation:

I swear by Apollo The Healer, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the Gods and Goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.

To hold my teacher in this art equal to my own parents; to make him partner in my livelihood; when he is in need of money to share mine with him; to consider his family as my own brothers, and to teach them this art, if they want to learn it, without fee or indenture; to impart precept, oral instruction, and all other instruction to my own sons, the sons of my teacher, and to indentured pupils who have taken the physician’s oath, but to nobody else.

I will use treatment to help the sick according to my ability and judgment, but never with a view to injury and wrong-doing. Neither will I administer a poison to anybody when asked to do so, nor will I suggest such a course. Similarly I will not give to a woman a pessary to cause abortion. But I will keep pure and holy both my life and my art. I will not use the knife, not even, verily, on sufferers from stone, but I will give place to such as are craftsmen therein.

Into whatsoever houses I enter, I will enter to help the sick, and I will abstain from all intentional wrong-doing and harm, especially from abusing the bodies of man or woman, bond or free. And whatsoever I shall see or hear in the course of my profession, as well as outside my profession in my intercourse with men, if it be what should not be published abroad, I will never divulge, holding such things to be holy secrets.
Now if I carry out this oath, and break it not, may I gain for ever reputation among all men for my life and for my art; but if I transgress it and forswear myself, may the opposite befall me.[5]

the Modern version:

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:...

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today.
Baba has divulged our "secrecy"... U shouldn't have, so that those ignoramus could keep on wallowing in their ignorance... Nice piece though... Great minds!!!
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by alolatee(m): 7:18pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

Bro, have you forgotten Dr Luke in the bible?All professions are calling for a true child of God provided they emphasize the God part of it-Which is to glorify God.Dr Luke is one of the Disciples of the Saviour-Jesus Christ.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by alolatee(m): 7:20pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

Bro, have you forgotten Dr Luke in the bible?All professions are calling for a true child of God provided they emphasize the God part of it-Which is to glorify God.Dr Luke is one of the Disciples of the Saviour-Jesus Christ.All profession have rules.We swear to an oath as students too.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by alves4(m): 7:23pm On Jun 17, 2016
Please tell me this is a joke. Op, true christians should also reject modern medicine. Try the awesome healing power of prayer. Clueless much?
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Felixprosper: 7:24pm On Jun 17, 2016
This is what happen when you post sumtin anyhow

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Onyi31: 7:27pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

Modern Hippocratic oath
I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given to me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by goodguygonebad: 7:43pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

Nairaland has turned to something else.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Vikky014(f): 7:53pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

Oga are u ok i hope u know God himslf did the first surgery on Adam and gave humanbeings wisdom to cure most sickness. beside St Luke was a medical Doctor. stp consoling urslf wt a good Christian tittle bc u wont tell me u r a saint
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by christisreal: 7:59pm On Jun 17, 2016
[quote author=Beamborla post=46654706]Christians shouldn't even attend any higher institution then. You'd be required to sign and swear on your matriculation day.

They'd swear you in for NYSC as well.

Christians shouldn't go for any public office because you'd be made to swear an oath as well(they'd swear you in)

Even as a witness, you'd have to swear.

(my dear, the question or the concern should be what are you swearing for and what are you swearing to)
exactly.thank u

1 Like

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Baroba(m): 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
Why not seat in a monastery and not bother with work at all..
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by junta007(f): 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
Make yourself holy and dont judge
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Kaycee7(m): 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
hahahahaha.......quite funny. I am a 500 level student of medicine and surgery so don't go there.
Are you also a christian? Cos that means you should abandon your course. If you're not, why are you drinking panadol extra over what is not even headache for us?
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Otitijerome(m): 8:13pm On Jun 17, 2016
That mean True christian should not marry because of marriage oath or Vow? So you allow unbeliever to treat u? Some regious group reject blood transfusion n die ignorant, some reject family planning n born 12 siblings
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Profoba40(m): 8:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
Oga, I don tire for you... Read your bible well..... Luke was a physician (doctor)...... . I wonder how pple think and then jump into comclusion undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by faraday1998: 8:22pm On Jun 17, 2016
I am going to Heaven! Not because I am a Baptist
preacher. Not because I attend church. Not because
I have been baptized. Not because I pay my tithes.
Not because I try to live right. All of those things are
good and every saved person ought to do them,
but those things cannot save the soul. No, I am going to heaven because one day, May 23, 1983, I
came to the place where I looked to no one or no
thing but to Jesus Christ alone. I am going because
I know Jesus. One thing and one thing alone was
required for me to be saved and I did that thing. I
looked to Jesus and He saved my soul! Have you come to the source of salvation? Or, are
you still trying to get it some other way? Listen, stop
trying to do what has already been done, and look
to Jesus Christ by faith, and He will save you from
your sins and from Hell. There is but one way to
Heaven, to God and to salvation and His Name is Jesus. He is the sole source of salvation!
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2016
Op you are mad
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by kcowen(m): 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2016
I tire for some nairalander,somebody will just wak e up & decides to write poo.am sure even the OP at some doubted what he wrote,sometimes I blame the MOD if they didn't push this to front page I won't have seen it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pastor Ogue Dies At Burial Service, Hours To Ministering / Bishop Oyedepo: God Swore To Make Me Rich Because I Gave Him Car Many Years Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.