Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,103 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE (32573 Views)

Are True Christians Suppose To Participate In Politics? / Why True Christians See Leah Sheribu As A Huge Source Of Inspiration / "Christians Should Apologise To Gays" - Pope Francis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
Confusion everywhere. I guess op is among those that see taking drugs or any form of medication as a sin.

Kennydoc , kee ife inwe ikwu na okwu a?
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Isaacmacdon(m): 3:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
c'mon o.p.. Explain ur findings with facts! But wait o, i don't buy this.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Ignaz(m): 3:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
then christians should desist from going to hospitals since it's being run by 'sinners'. when will men stop using religion as an excuse for being sèrfs? if you think practicing medicine is a sin, stop visiting hospitals and quit trying to deceive the already gullible christians. they've suffered enough lies already!

6 Likes

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by always4peace(m): 3:33pm On Jun 17, 2016
very funny post ;Dvery funny post
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by egbaguy2: 3:33pm On Jun 17, 2016
many are mad,few are actually roaming........this op is mad!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by logicab: 3:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
Lol. That means Christians shouldn't be judges, politicians and many other positions that require swearing according to your argument.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by masqot(m): 3:36pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
I am here to speak on an issue which I have taken time to think through.
You didn't think through at all. Have you taken time to peruse innumerable benefits of medicine? Do that first and weigh it against your first thought.
However, let me go through that oath if it's to the ruin of man.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by ummeey: 3:36pm On Jun 17, 2016
Who should study medicine then?
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by EdDave(m): 3:38pm On Jun 17, 2016
And James was a physician.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by HaneefahRN(f): 3:40pm On Jun 17, 2016
Was it not this guy that asked his wife to cut her hair cos of demons? You need serious help

4 Likes

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by naijafresh: 3:40pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....
I believe there are Christians in here. I am here to speak on an issue which I have taken time to think through.
I see a lot of christian folks in the medical profession and most times I ask what they are doing there. Every medical doctor is under an oath which Its origin is not fully known. Before u can be a doctor, u will have to swear the HIPPOCRATIC OATH......on the day of your INDUCTION. in the Christian faith, it was clearly stated that swearing of any form is not allowed and considered a sin. Why then do I see Christians in medical school? Are they not aware of this OATH? Or did they just choose to turn a blind eye to the truth?
The medical profession has always been like a cult since the days of Hippocrates. It was initially designed with knowledge of secrets of the practice that should only be passed down to children of physicians in the olden days. Medical practise actually started like a brotherhood/cult.....the medical logo says it all(a snake wrapping a cross).....my point here is anybody who calls himself a true Christian cannot become a medical doctor without SIN (TAKING THE OATH).

So my dear Christian friends, are you really for God or do you choose to go against his instruction just because you want to enjoy the gains of being a medical doctor?.......THATS BEING A HIPPOCRITE!

What a silly post!

I'm a doctor and I didnt swear any silly oath, thats an ancient practice and times have moved on. The oath has even been modernised as far as i can remember

Did I have to comment on this post? I ask myself

3 Likes

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by RadiantPine: 3:41pm On Jun 17, 2016
Here's the modern one

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

3 Likes

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by zhyzhy: 3:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
The OP has a point. But over the years the hippocratic oath has been modified to the physicians pledge. Instead of swearing to gods and demi gods like the earlier version did, the new version is a pledge made solely on your honor. I thought the op would have towed the line of saying Christian medical doctors should not charge for there services, since Christ did not do so. In fact, faith based healing like Christ did should be the Christian doctor's calling not orthodox medicine. Lol. I choose to differ Sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by bezimo(m): 3:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....
I believe there are Christians in here. I am here to speak on an issue which I have taken time to think through.
I see a lot of christian folks in the medical profession and most times I ask what they are doing there. Every medical doctor is under an oath which Its origin is not fully known. Before u can be a doctor, u will have to swear the HIPPOCRATIC OATH......on the day of your INDUCTION. in the Christian faith, it was clearly stated that swearing of any form is not allowed and considered a sin. Why then do I see Christians in medical school? Are they not aware of this OATH? Or did they just choose to turn a blind eye to the truth?
The medical profession has always been like a cult since the days of Hippocrates. It was initially designed with knowledge of secrets of the practice that should only be passed down to children of physicians in the olden days. Medical practise actually started like a brotherhood/cult.....the medical logo says it all(a snake wrapping a cross).....my point here is anybody who calls himself a true Christian cannot become a medical doctor without SIN (TAKING THE OATH).

So my dear Christian friends, are you really for God or do you choose to go against his instruction just because you want to enjoy the gains of being a medical doctor?.......THATS BEING A HIPPOCRITE!

What a minute.Wasnt Dr Luke who wrote the gospel according to Luke in the New testament a medical doctor.And your point is.
Christian medical doctors is even a boost to the profession to help humanity.

Swearing under an oath as an induction into a profession designed to help humanity is not a sin.The swearing is actually to bind you to the ethics of the profession which is legal in the sight of God

Have you heard of the feats of the Likes of Ben Carson, the world renowned surgeon who by the inspiration of the Almighty succesfully seperated siamese twins. Dont be ignorant Op.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by oglalasioux(m): 3:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
I swear by Apollo The Healer, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the Gods and Goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by emmkeffs(f): 3:43pm On Jun 17, 2016
Do u need psychological recalibration? You should also suggest visiting someone who took hypocratic oath is a bigger sin. My advice for u, go create your planet and make sure no hospitals and doctors ;DDo u need psychological recalibration? You should also suggest visiting someone who took hypocratic oath is a bigger sin. My advice for u, go create your planet and make sure no hospitals and doctors
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by frankeinstein(m): 3:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
Another one on the loose grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by vision2050: 3:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
Over religious, over sabi.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Stellamariss(f): 3:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
I dnt think op have taken lunch. op go nd eat u are hungry
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Kgdavid(m): 3:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....
The medical profession has always been like a cult since the days of Hippocrates. It was initially designed with knowledge of secrets of the practice that should only be passed down to children of physicians in the olden days. Medical practise actually started like a brotherhood/cult.....the medical logo says it all (a snake wrapping a cross) .....my point here is anybody who calls himself a true Christian cannot become a medical doctor without SIN (TAKING THE OATH).

Hope you know that logo has biblical origins and significance?

1 Like

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Kaycee7(m): 3:47pm On Jun 17, 2016

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by worlexy(m): 3:47pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

Rubbish. It's because of reasonings like that Africa is still backward in everything. Take for instance, while the whites were helping us find a better a logical explanation to why some children die before age 5 and are always falling sick, Africans were busy calling those children Abiku/Ogbanje, it was with the knowledge of medicine that we know that the diesase is called sickle cell disease. The logo of the snake is from the Bible when God instructed Moses to put a bronze snake on a pole and that anyone suffering from plaque would be healed only if he/she looks up to look at the snake. Oath taking is everywhere, from being a councillor to being the president of a country, to being a boss in your place of work. Are you now saying that Christians should become nonentities and not strive to become leaders and great people just because the bible says we shouldn't swear? Jesus Christ wrapped it up by saying that the laws are made for humans and not the other way round. I'm proud to be a Christian doctor and if given another chance again, I will choose this profession with passion. Peace out

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Blackrhino: 3:49pm On Jun 17, 2016
The snake is a symbol of healing from ancient sumerrian culture, that's why it's used in medicine .
It is the accepted symbol for healing world wide and will always be, talking about Hippocrates why do pastora and priests go to hospitals , isn't their faith enough to cure them from illnesses ?

2 Likes

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by gammarays(m): 3:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

Nonsense
But you freely visit the hospitals manned by occultic doctors whenever you fall sick.

1 Like

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by kelvin003: 3:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Read the Hippocratic oath and check the medical logo.......then come back and tell me this. Medicine is of an ancient tradition that most doctors know nothing about. Read about the history of curing diseases, you will see that medical profession is like a cult.
The medical logo has its roots in the bible.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by guyXander(m): 3:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

You are a charlatan and mediocre.
The stick with a snake not cross with a snake refers to the old testament, when God told Moses to put a snake on a stick and put it on a stand that anyone biten by a snake will get healed. That symbol is tied to Jesus on cross, and that all who look up to him will be saved.
It's also used by pharmacist as their symbol
P with snake curled around it.
So research before coming to silly conclusion.
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Ibime(m): 3:51pm On Jun 17, 2016
Typical foolish religious rant

Religion in Nigeria tends to knock 50 points off your IQ.

3 Likes

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 17, 2016
goodman3:
Good day!.....

How unfortunate,have u gone through the hippocratic oath or u are just confused abt its origin?
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by robosky02(m): 3:53pm On Jun 17, 2016
the symbol of snake on the cross is even taken from the scriptures

asking men to look to GOD not the doctor

Numbers 21:8 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a standard; and it shall come about, that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, he will live."
Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by ifenes(m): 3:53pm On Jun 17, 2016
It is a sin to have knowledge. Being a fool is not a sin. Clearly the OP is a fool

4 Likes

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Ibime(m): 3:56pm On Jun 17, 2016
Blackrhino:
The snake is a symbol of healing from ancient sumerrian culture, that's why it's used in medicine .
It is the accepted symbol for healing world wide and will always be, talking about Hippocrates why do pastora and priests go to hospitals , isn't their faith enough to cure them from illnesses ?

Even the Jewish folklore called the bible told us that when snakes were biting Jews in the desert, God told Moses to make a bronze statue of a snake, and anyone who looked at the snake would be healed - those Sumerian beliefs, myths and cultures were prevalent in their day, therefore interwoven into Jewish folklore.

1 Like

Re: Why True Christians Should Not Study MEDICINE by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jun 17, 2016
Hey... guys

The OP is one of those people who claim they know the bible and try to use their meagre knowledge of the bible to waste your time in useless arguments

We know them. We see them in Bible studies and on the streets and anytime someone is trying to evangelize

One of the beautiful aspects of Christianity is its foundation of Love. Love that transcends human created doctrines, fatwas, rules and regulations

Anytime you are faced wuth a situation that you do not have a clear divine direction on simply as yourself. ..
THIS THING I AM ABOUT TO DO, WILL I FIND IT OK IF SOMEONE ELSE DOES THE SAME TO ME?...DOES IT SHOW LOVE?

As long as you are truthful to your conscience, go ahead with it, you are free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Ogue Dies At Burial Service, Hours To Ministering / Is Your Name In The Book Of Life? / What Is That Experience That Made You Feel/believe That Juju Is Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.