Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. (10443 Views)

Pandemonium In UNN, Federal Govt. Please Intervene! / Nigerian Govt Please Help This Bishop In The Uk / Uk Govt!: Please Extradite James Ibori & David Edevbhie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by baby4u2(f): 5:38am On Sep 06, 2009
Every country has there own individual problem. From what i got from that Sony add, rich Nigerians deceive people to get their wealth. The add is not good period. Not only should we the good Nigerians do everything in the best of our ability to let this people know that the ad was inappropriate but we should also strive to see ways that the bad eggs can stop scamming in general. The scammers themselves am sure would even buy the ps3 first with stolen money. Some people just like easy money to the detriment of our Name. Even this add would not make them stop. Kai!!! If Nigerians can stand united, leaving behind all what Nigerians should have done, we can change the image of Nigeria. I would personally start a blog, write to sony, update my facebook status, twitter about the absord ad and much more. All these is to make sure that they know that you cant bring down a whole country because of some really bag eggs. Every country has there own individual problem, lets not go there please, I live in America.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by vowiski(m): 6:41am On Sep 06, 2009
kosovo

Welcome to Nairaland! to say that your first post on nairaland is directed toward my unbiased opinion is a total waste of bandwidth is to say the least. i never knew i was that important. anyways thanks for the recongization
nuff said and done, you actually sound like a RETARD! no hard feelings.

so where was i ?
Guy u get mouth DIE. lol
reading thur all the posts and i cant stop laughing,
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by GAR3TH(m): 7:03am On Sep 06, 2009
I just saw the same commercial but they edited and changed the nigerian part. hmmm.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by kosovo(m): 7:17am On Sep 06, 2009
I just saw the same commercial but they edited and changed the nigerian part. hmmm.
   Just as planned,. THE DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE grin
   Sony announced 7 ps3 slim adds to roll out within the holiday periods, so this would soon be phased out,  and we can have some rest in NL.

cheers!
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by GeorgeD1(m): 11:11am On Sep 06, 2009
really? have they changed or edited the advert?
if so, where is the link?
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by rafcrown(m): 12:16pm On Sep 06, 2009
When we talk about fraudsters and scamming we need to know its learned and its origin can be traced to USA/UK and Co
When THEY TALK ABOUT origin of AIDS they made unsuccessful attempt to trace the origin to Africa
The truth of the matter is the that They wish to use all means at their disposal to tarnish the image of Nigeria BBC -CNN and others
The former richest man in the world currently on trial for SCIENTIFIC FRAUD is not a Nigerian
If he is a Nigerian -every morning BBC and CNN will be covering the news with extra vigour for the next decade to prove bias point
BBC today reported about credit card fraud in the UK TODAY-6/09/09.
At the end of the story a senior police officer said the purchased goods are sent to Nigeria
Is Nigeria the only country they send the goods purchased to?hE SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED AT LEAST 2 OR 3 OTHER COUNTRIES
Its their calculated attempt to link any bad thing-scamming and other vices to Nigeria and Africa
TO conclude all over the world most especially in USA/UK /EU countries we have terrible criminals under reported in national interest.
People giving Nigeria bad image also should desist-Corrupt politicians and 419ers etc.Enough is enough.Work and manage,i go better.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by GeorgeD1(m): 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2009
still waiting to see the link to edited advert
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by BizBooks(m): 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2009
@GAR3TH,

No, they have not edited the ad. I just saw it now on YouTube. In fact the number of views has increased from 119,000 to 121,000 in less than 24 hours. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1xTcQwu-8. If you actually have proof that it has been edited, include the link in your next post.

Instead of complaining, let us take some action by contacting Sony Corporate Headquarters. Here is a link to their contact form: http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?&p_sid=-YdEvfHj . Be polite and firm in your email. Emails with offensive language may not be forwarded to people at the top.

If you prefer to call, here's their toll free number: 1 800-345-7669.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by soloqy: 2:01pm On Sep 06, 2009
rafcrown:

When we talk about fraudsters and scamming we need to know its leraned and its origin can be traced to USA/UK and Co
When THEY TALK ABOUT origin of AIDS they made unsuccessful attempt to trace the origin to Africa
The truth of the matter is the that They wish to use all means at their disposal to tarnish the image of Nigeria BBC -CNN and others
The former richest man in the world currently on trial for SCIENTIFIC FRAUD is not a Nigerian
If he is a Nigerian -every morning BBC and CNN will be covering the news with extra vigour for the next decade to prove bias point
BBC today reported about credit card fraud in the UK TODAY-6/09/09.
At the end of the story a senior police officer said the purchased goods are sent to Nigeria
Is Nigeria the only country they send the goods purchased to?hE SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED AT LEAST 2 OR 3 OTHER COUNTRIES
Its their calculated attempt to link any bad thing-scamming and other vices to Nigeria and Africa
TO conclude all over the world most especially in USA/UK /EU countries we have terrible criminals under reported in national interest.
People giving Nigeria bad image also should desist-Corrupt politicians and 419ers etc.Enough is enough.Work and manage,i go better.

This is the kind of comment that keeps us rooted to where we are. In a cesspool of rot and decay and fraud.

Such denial.

You didnt read about the Nigerians caught in Ghana(yes ghana), who relocated to ghana because the Address Verification Systems for IPS(AVS) which online merchants have put in place, would not allow them do any fraudulent credit card transactions from Nigeria anymore.
Those countries didnt just wake up to decide to give Nigeria a 'bad name'.

Any email that is sent, the address or location of the person can be determined via an AVS or IP address.

When they recieve 1million scam letters and 999k of them is determined to come from Nigeria, what do you expect them to think or feel?

People have decided to look everywhere else but inwards.

You dont love Nigeria more than I do. And the only way to change is to tell yourself the truth.

You start by telling people like Thisday Newspapers that they are an embarrasment to Nigeria for inviting Olu Maintain to the States to sing Yahooze to distinguished guests. With all the 419 connotations.

You start by telling people like Kennis Music that they are a shame to this nation for promoting that music to high heavens and for also digging up another drifter called Kenny handsome to make a mockery of the whole Nation with even more decadent lyrics that exalted 419 to another pedestal.

We start by telling the Board in charge of  Nollywood(The main culprits in the 'name spoiling saga') to urge them to become responsible in making movies. And if they refuse to become responsible, boycot those Nollywood movies and sensitise your kids and family to stop watching em.

Go a little further to urge DSTV to vet those movies they get from Nollywood and when the film makers start getting their movies rejected from Dstv and losing revenue from that, they would surely become more responsible and creative in their endeavours.

We all start by making a shift from this path of celebrating wealth in such a way that every teenager has an inordinate ambition of driving a 20million naira car in a year of getting out of school.

This would do for a start. Its not just the government. Its starts from where you are.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by sley4life(m): 2:01pm On Sep 06, 2009
old story
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 2:49pm On Sep 06, 2009
I have questions for you @BizBooks

Bernie, you cant beleive everything you read on the internet, otherwise i will be a Nigeria millionaire by now.

a) What part of that line offends you?

b) Are you one of those online claiming to be Nigerian millionaires?

c) Do you personally know a Nigerian millionaire who happens to go on the internet to tell folks of it?

d) What part of that statement there IMPLIES ALL NIGERIANS ARE SCAMMERS?

I really don't get how any honest person would be offended by that line except the person is a Nigerian internet millionaire. I would like to understand how you have chosen to interpret and justify your claim that the above line is offensive to Nigerians as a whole.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by BizBooks(m): 3:00pm On Sep 06, 2009
@Kobojunkie,

Did you see the ad? If not, here's the exact quote "You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Otherwise I will be a Nigerian millionaire by now."

It might be helpful if you explain what you think they mean by that. Why don't they say a Japanese or American millionaire. If you don't find it offensive, then you may be looking at it from a different point of view.

Like another poster said, if the biggest crook in the world - Bernard Maddoff is a Nigerian, then they wouldn't even let us walk on the street.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 3:02pm On Sep 06, 2009
Roflmao!!!

@Bizbook, I asked you the questions above. I even posted the very line for you there to see. I made the questions as simple as I could. Any chance I will get straight answers from you?

BizBooks:

Like another poster said, if the biggest crook in the world - Bernard Maddoff is a Nigerian, then they wouldn't even let us walk on the street.

d) What part of that statement reads that the biggest crook in the world is a Nigerian?
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by BizBooks(m): 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2009
@Kobojunkie,

I turned the question around on you. Sony is not a Nigerian company. The actors in the ad are whites, definitely not Nigerians. Why did they bring Nigeria into it? It appears you believe they picked Nigeria at random. I don't think so.

Remember the actors read from a script that was written for the ad. Everything they said must have been seen and approved by Sony.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 3:16pm On Sep 06, 2009
a) @How did you turn the question around on me?

b) Why does SONY have to be a Nigerian company to make such a statement? Do Nigerian internet scammers, who claim to be millionaires on the internet , limit their business and scamming to Nigeria?

c) How did SONY bring Nigeria into it?

d) No need to try now to read my mind. Leave my mind out of this please!!! Just provide answers to the questions asked so far, that is really all I would be happy you could do. Don't actors in other ads read from scripts that were written for them? So what if the script was approved by Sony?

[size=14pt]
Bernie, you cant beleive everything you read on the internet, otherwise i will be a Nigeria millionaire by now.[/size]

a) What part of that line offends you?

b) Are you one of those online claiming to be Nigerian millionaires?

c) Do you personally know a Nigerian millionaire who happens to go on the internet to tell folks of it?

d) What part of that statement there IMPLIES ALL NIGERIANS ARE SCAMMERS?

e) What part of that statement reads that the biggest crook in the world is a Nigerian?
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by alias64: 3:16pm On Sep 06, 2009

soloqy:

This is the kind of comment that keeps us rooted to where we are. In a cesspool of rot and decay and fraud.

Such denial.

You didnt read about the Nigerians caught in Ghana(yes ghana), who relocated to ghana because the Address Verification Systems for IPS(AVS) which online merchants have put in place, would not allow them do any fraudulent credit card transactions from Nigeria anymore.
Those countries didnt just wake up to decide to give Nigeria a 'bad name'.

Any email that is sent, the address or location of the person can be determined via an AVS or IP address.

When they recieve 1million scam letters and 999k of them is determined to come from Nigeria, what do you expect them to think or feel?

People have decided to look everywhere else but inwards.

You dont love Nigeria more than I do. And the only way to change is to tell yourself the truth.

You start by telling people like Thisday Newspapers that they are an embarrasment to Nigeria for inviting Olu Maintain to the States to sing Yahooze to distinguished guests. With all the 419 connotations.

You start by telling people like Kennis Music that they are a shame to this nation for promoting that music to high heavens and for also digging up another drifter called Kenny handsome to make a mockery of the whole Nation with even more decadent lyrics that exalted 419 to another pedestal.

We start by telling the Board in charge of  Nollywood(The main culprits in the 'name spoiling saga') to urge them to become responsible in making movies. And if they refuse to become responsible, boycot those Nollywood movies and sensitise your kids and family to stop watching em.

Go a little further to urge DSTV to vet those movies they get from Nollywood and when the film makers start getting their movies rejected from Dstv and losing revenue from that, they would surely become more responsible and creative in their endeavours.

We all start by making a shift from this path of celebrating wealth in such a way that every teenager has an inordinate ambition of driving a 20million naira car in a year of getting out of school.

This would do for a start. Its not just the government. Its starts from where you are.

Nigerians do not need to justify themselves to anyone.  Nigeria and Nigerians are essentially facing racism. Further, Nigerians/Nigeria will continue to face stereotyping and all that leads from this so long as they fail to come to terms with the fact that Nigerian wisdom does not work in the west. All those “na-true-o” does not work abroad. Nigerians are black people not yet deconstructed and reconstructed into the subjugated black mode. So long as Nigerians continue to think and act as white people do, Nigerians will continue to face great racisms and stereotyping  until they conform.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by GeorgeD1(m): 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2009
well, whether they edit or not, they won't have my business anymore.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Sep 06, 2009
SONY will definitely enjoy my money as the company still boasts some of the best quality products in the world today. grin
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by GAR3TH(m): 7:29pm On Sep 06, 2009
@ bizbook they did change the ad, at least the tv run ads. but im not sure if the youtube 1 got change
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by ceah(m): 8:40pm On Sep 06, 2009
kobojunkie is just an Agressive minority trying to force his views and tastes on everyone !
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On Sep 06, 2009
ceah:

kobojunkie is just an Agressive minority trying to force his views and tastes on everyone !

undecided
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by MadMax1(f): 10:16pm On Sep 06, 2009
GAR3TH:

@ bizbook they did change the ad, at least the tv run ads. but im not sure if the youtube 1 got change

Then SONY knows it was in bad taste, or they wouldn't have changed it. Hopefully their rude prank'll blow over soon.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by kosovo(m): 11:10pm On Sep 06, 2009
@ Kobojunkie
SONY will definitely enjoy my money as the company still boasts some of the best quality products in the world today.
   edit line 1 -- MOST.

yea, could harldy imagine a life without Sony products, but, but all my gadjets and appliances are all Sony's
  like no other grin
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by gem87(f): 1:44am On Sep 07, 2009
Please, I don't see anything wrong with that
it's no worse or better than lil wayne
rapping about Nigerian hair in " a milli"
the way I see it is as publicity
bad publicity is no publicity at all
at least we're getting a mention, lol!
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by kosovo(m): 5:57am On Sep 07, 2009
;d ;d ;d
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Nezan(m): 12:05pm On Sep 07, 2009
SOS o! Lord.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by DeepSight(m): 3:02pm On Sep 07, 2009
Every nation gets stereotyped, that's only normal.

Would you sue any person for referring to any of the following:

1. An Italian Mafia Gangster

2. A Palestinian Suicide Bomber

3. A Liberian Blood Diamond Miner

4. A white South African Racist

5. A Colombian Drug Dealer

6. Saudi - Arabian Abuse of Womens Rights

7. A Nigerian Internet Scamist

Its only normal folks.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by BizBooks(m): 3:21pm On Sep 07, 2009
@Deep Sight,

Most people appear to be missing the point of this arguement. All the stereotypes you listed above may be true. But just give us one example where a company or public official labelled any of those countries with those stereotypes.

You cannot provide any example because it does not exist. Such statements will put you in trouble any day. Barack Obama nearly lost the primaries to Hilary Clinton last year because he referred to white working class men as people who "cling to their guns and religion." While that may be true, it was politically incorrect.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by DeepSight(m): 3:24pm On Sep 07, 2009
@ Bizbooks -

Accepted.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Jyrator: 5:42pm On Sep 07, 2009
There's the unwritten rule that Nigerians are the ONLY one's permitted to criticise ourselves!

Is it that we've not strolled into the average cybercafe in Lagos or any of our cities for that matter?

Is it that we [and millions of other all over the world] don't receive scam emails daily?

Are you saying most of our youth are gainfully employed?

The very least we can do is to stop fooling ourselves.

A few years ago, Taiwan was touted globally as the den of fake goods, the Taiwanese didn't respond by asking their government to sue any and every, they upped their game and now are a major hub for high quality electronics.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 5:55pm On Sep 07, 2009
BizBooks:

@Deep Sight,

Most people appear to be missing the point of this arguement. All the stereotypes you listed above may be true. But just give us one example where a company or public official labelled any of those countries with those stereotypes.

You cannot provide any example because it does not exist. Such statements will put you in trouble any day. Barack Obama nearly lost the primaries to Hilary Clinton last year because he referred to white working class men as people who "cling to their guns and religion." While that may be true, it was politically incorrect.

I can give you tons of examples. Start with all the movie companies out there @Bizbbooks. Universal, ABC, CNBC, CNN, BBC etc. Media companies do it daily. Maybe not public officials but we know that even Obama and Clinton made sure to point to the Nigerian problem only a couple of months ago when out in Africa. Public officials like to stay away from these because they understand how some may react disproportionately to these things but the fact is companies do use these stereotypes often.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Jyrator: 6:16pm On Sep 07, 2009
Further to the Nollywood thing:

Spent the better part of Saturday night explaining to this chic that Nigeria isn't made up of ritual killers! Trust me, it wasn't a simple case of 'it's just a movie' , this chic is really into AfricaMagic and practically all the home videos have some form of ritualistic practice and these all form an opinion in the minds of others about us.

Rather than devote time speaking out against the crap these people spew endlessly, we'd rather wait and pounce on anyone that suggests we're a voodoo nation!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kayode Fayemi Leads Nigerian Delegation To Australia, September 6 / FAAC: FG, States, LGs Share N701 Billion In April / Petrol Landing Cost Jumps To ₦186, Oil Hits $64

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.