Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,697 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. (10442 Views)

Pandemonium In UNN, Federal Govt. Please Intervene! / Nigerian Govt Please Help This Bishop In The Uk / Uk Govt!: Please Extradite James Ibori & David Edevbhie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by nex(m): 7:39pm On Sep 07, 2009
I've had to avoid this topic because I wanted to allow that clown kosovo to abundantly exhibit his ignorance for the whole world to see.

What we can do is send mails to to the Ministry of Information and see what Madam Dora will "do" about it.

Will SONY Corporation dare put out an advert insulting gays or jews?

Can Sony even approve an advert in which someone will say "I'd be a Chinese software pirate by now"?

The only reason the advert did not even call us niggers is because they are conscious of the African Americans.

I realise that any group of people who can agree that they are Black People will also accept any other name given to them.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On Sep 07, 2009
Jyrator:

Further to the Nollywood thing:

Spent the better part of Saturday night explaining to this chic that Nigeria isn't made up of ritual killers! Trust me, it wasn't a simple case of 'it's just a movie' , this chic is really into AfricaMagic and practically all the home videos have some form of ritualistic practice and these all form an opinion in the minds of others about us.

Rather than devote time speaking out against the crap these people spew endlessly, we'd rather wait and pounce on anyone that suggests we're a voodoo nation!

if we are honest with ourselves, at least we will admit that the image the outside world has of us, has to do with what we put out there. The outside world did not create those nollywood videos, neither did they create the situation we have with corrupt leaders and the many online scammers. The outside world did not create the pictures of poverty and the deplorable state of life in our country, we did. All they do is REACT to what we created for ourselves. And not until we set to working to FIX the problems we have back home will we get any respect. I mean we can DEMAND respect but at the end of the day, we can only get respect when we show we deserve it. Ask any African who has had to move to the developed world. The minute you show that you are not a blockhead in their land, you earn respect in that society and that respect is not based on the level the same communities have for other africans but on the fact that you have, of your own, set yourself apart as one who deserves it.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Jyrator: 9:09pm On Sep 07, 2009
As one living outside the country, I constantly find myself trying hard to paint a picture which is very much at variance with that which the majority of our people paint via our movies, music [those glorifying crime and the like], the corruption we read about daily [I first heard about the recent bank issues and the '13bn nanny' from a Mozambican!].

Look at the US, Hollywood is an integral part of the nation's image making. Check out the Disney feature length movies: the hero has an American accent and the villain one that's distinctly un-American. This things are deliberate. their country must be painted in the best possible light at all times, subtly or not!

We're simply living in denial and the earlier we wake up, the better.

I don't think Sony was right in airing that ad, but truth be told, our actions [and indeed our inactions too] baited anyone willing to poke fun/insults/whatever else at us.

In one other thread, some guys were inflamed over the depiction of Nigerians in District 9, Question: Have any of them bothered to take a sample of the opinion people outside our dear country think of us? What their perception of Nigeria and Nigerians is?

Most times, I find myself telling people I'm from West Africa, not because I'm ashamed of my country, but because I know I have a tendency to take an argument to any level,

, so rather than argue all night, I'd rather say things that'll lead to me getting some pumpum!
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by nex(m): 9:25pm On Sep 07, 2009
@Jyrator

the USA embassy in Nigeria organised a workshop a couple of months ago and they were trying to teach Nigerian movie scriptwriters how to write pro-USA scripts.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 9:28pm On Sep 07, 2009
Jyrator:

Look at the US, Hollywood is an integral part of the nation's image making. Check out the Disney feature length movies: the hero has an American accent and the villain one that's distinctly un-American. This things are deliberate. their country must be painted in the best possible light at all times, subtly or not!

Oh come on!!! I have seen quite a lot of American movies where there are American villains. I don’t think this is about what country the villain is from. I am sure you remember back when it was cool to be Italian. That was back when we had lots of Italian mob movies. Even the Sopranoes brought that back.
I don’t believe it has to do with accent or country but more with the people’s understanding of how these countries handle their situations. We all know that as much as we still associate the mob with Italy, these are frowned on out in Italy and mostly history. Even though the Gestapo are to German as the mob are to Italy, people no longer think Hitler and anti-Semitism when they hear the word Germany or watch movies on Hitler or the sort. Why? Because these are now seen as things that once happened in these countries but have now been tackled or controlled to a great extent.

When it comes to Africa, the opposite is the case. You watch an African movie and if you notice, the questions are never in past tense but in present tense. Because people are now more educated and more travelled – many have been to our shores and seen these atrocities committed. You only have to log on to Youtube these days( No need to watch CNN, BBC, or any other western media) to see the situation in live colors.  Many of the videos uploaded to Youtube by Africans and westerners who have travelled to Africa to see things for themselves.

Jyrator:

We're simply living in denial and the earlier we wake up, the better.
Definitely!!

Jyrator:

I don't think Sony was right in airing that ad, but truth be told, our actions [and indeed our inactions too] baited anyone willing to poke fun/insults/whatever else at us.

I don’t know about right. Who decides what rights SONY has and what rights it does not have? It is NOT a political establishment, neither are the products it sells to do with politics. It is simply a company, like any other and only limited by laws that guide companies like itself and others. We have companies like the BBC, ABC, Universal, which freely use these stereotypes in selling their movies and news. Why is SONY to be denied the same rights as the other companies?

Jyrator:

In one other thread, some guys were inflamed over the depiction of Nigerians in District 9, Question: Have any of them bothered to take a sample of the opinion people outside our dear country think of us? What their perception of Nigeria and Nigerians is?

Most times, I find myself telling people I'm from West Africa, not because I'm ashamed of my country, but because I know I have a tendency to take an argument to any level, so rather than argue all night, I'd rather say things that'll lead to me getting some pumpum!

I personally do not take it on myself to explain the situation in Nigeria. I simply state the facts, which is, Africans are not standing up for themselves and that is why things remain as they are. It is useless arguing when I know that the problem is the people in Africa are themselves not ready to face their reality and stand up for themselves on the majority. How else do you explain the fact that a population of less than $5 million, or thereabout, currently run into ruins the lives of almost a billion people in that continent daily?
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Jyrator: 9:32pm On Sep 07, 2009
The US will do whatever it takes to promote their country, especially the concept of the 'American Dream' so that doesn't come as a surprise to me.

The Pentagon even has a Hollywood liaison and gives full backing to movies centred on/around US military doctrine
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Jyrator: 10:16pm On Sep 07, 2009
Forgive me, I'm still new here, but I'm working hard at getting the hang of this site! lol

I really don't know how to cut particular aspects of someone else's post!

//Oh come on!!! I have seen quite a lot of American movies where there are American villains//

You're getting me wrong here. It's not about the accent used but the perception created. Hollywood movies play multiple roles one of which is the furtherance of the 'American Idea' - America and everything American is cool and must ultimately be portrayed as such.

It's one of the ways their values are enforced in the minds of their populace because they are well aware of just how powerful a tool the mass media is when it comes to mental conditioning and indoctrination.

//I don’t know about right. Who decides what rights SONY has and what rights it does not have? It is NOT a political establishment, neither are the products it sells to do with politics. It is simply a company, like any other and only limited by laws that guide companies like itself and others. We have companies like the BBC, ABC, Universal, which freely use these stereotypes in selling their movies and news. Why is SONY to be denied the same rights as the other companies?//

I feel you here. Truth is, in today's world, political correctness is a rather strong term and could be rather costly if one is on the wrong side of its application. We've seen protests over seemingly fickle issues because someone said blah, blah, this is what I meant by right, sensitivity to issues.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 10:38pm On Sep 07, 2009
Jyrator:

You're getting me wrong here. It's not about the accent used but the perception created. Hollywood movies play multiple roles one of which is the furtherance of the 'American Idea' - America and everything American is cool and must ultimately be portrayed as such.

It's one of the ways their values are enforced in the minds of their populace because they are well aware of just how powerful a tool the mass media is when it comes to mental conditioning and indoctrination.

I agree, every country ought to do the same. I mean how else do you get foreign investors, as well as your own to be more confident in their own country? But we cannot make the mistake of assuming that the only tool used here is the media. I mean in addition to using media, please we must also state that the American government works at the same time on policies that better their own. It would be foolhardy to assume that one can simply change the image and minds of the populace by simply creating movies geared towards furtherance of the countries ideas and ideals. That has not worked well for India much and certainly will not work for Nigeria unless the real issues are tackled.
So, you change Nollywood tomorrow to Nigerian-Praise-Singing production but refuse to fix the main problems that continue to exist, one will only be creating movies that praise Nigeria but no change in the mindset of the people. Ask Babangida, he knows.

Jyrator:
I feel you here. Truth is, in today's world, political correctness is a rather strong term and could be rather costly if one is on the wrong side of its application. We've seen protests over seemingly fickle issues because someone said blah, blah, this is what I meant by right, sensitivity to issues.
I think the age of political correctness is fading. Again, SONY as a company decides on its own to tow the line or not to. Sure, people can choose to protest, and I am certain SONY thought of the potential consequence of this before going forward with such an AD. However, I still ask, are we really just in deciding what is right or wrong for SONY to do when in this case, the AD is clearly not referring to all Nigerians but to the Nigerians who claim to be millionaires online and the world knows them as internet scammers.  Are we not defending these scoundrels when we decide that SONY is the culprit here? I mean have we not however shown that we are not willing to fight this scourge by the continued slowness of our government to act to clear our name by removing these scoundrels and punishing them for crimes committed?
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Jyrator: 10:42pm On Sep 07, 2009
totally agree with you there.

Small correction: I wasn't implying that the media's the only tool employed by the States, I merely pointed out how it used to further their cause
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by lastpage: 12:21am On Sep 08, 2009
@Soloqy
This is the kind of comment that keeps us rooted to where we are. In a cesspool of rot and decay and fraud.

Such denial.

You didnt read about the Nigerians caught in Ghana(yes ghana), who relocated to ghana because the Address Verification Systems for IPS(AVS) which online merchants have put in place, would not allow them do any fraudulent credit card transactions from Nigeria anymore.
Those countries didnt just wake up to decide to give Nigeria a 'bad name'.

Any email that is sent, the address or location of the person can be determined via an AVS or IP address.

When they recieve 1million scam letters and 999k of them is determined to come from Nigeria, what do you expect them to think or feel?

Soloqy, the highlighted part refers:
I think you would have had of Anonymizers before?
Any I.P address can be made to come from anywhere, its a question of choosing your Server.
What if, (like some foreigners prefer to use Nigerian Passports to commit crime) some of these scammers ain't even Nigerians but "anonymize" as if from Nigeria?
In this modern times, 99.99% of origin means nothing, in real terms.

You start by telling people like Thisday Newspapers that they are an embarrasment to Nigeria for inviting Olu Maintain to the States to sing Yahooze to distinguished guests. With all the 419 connotations.
if we go by your logic, then America, where the TUPACs, Dru and all the hard-core Rappers sing and hit platinum sales, on Rape, Gun-crime, Murder, Drugs, e.t.c, should have a worse image than just what "Olu Maintain" may have caused Nigeria, if truly it can be attributed to that song.

Just my 2cents.
Cheers.

BTW: Kobogunje, survey has shown that SONY PSP is loosing market by the day despite reducing its price (while Nintendo Wii does not and has double sales figure!) so l can understand their being desperate to "do anything" to attract attention, including maligning a whole nation.

All the same, you are as cheap as your SONY products grin
My greatest Joy was when my son read comments on NL and decided he would give-away his PSP (l have to buy the latest Wii as replacement though! ), and he thinks you're NUTS grin

Cheers
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by udezue(m): 1:01am On Sep 08, 2009
Biko rest u stupid people. Why don't you do something about the feds who've been fuckkin up ur dear country b4 bitching about SONY. Na sony wey create the negative image of Nigeria? Naw Nigerians did themselves so quit being so damn sensitive. The AD was too damn funny to bitch about. 1!!!
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 1:04am On Sep 08, 2009
lastpage:

BTW: Kobogunje, survey has shown that SONY PSP is loosing market by the day despite reducing its price (while Nintendo Wii does not and has double sales figure!) so l can understand their being desperate to "do anything" to attract attention, including maligning a whole nation.
Didn’t the same survey help you figure out that behavior is NORMAL in a recession? You only need to google to find out that all other companies are experiencing the same pattern. Not sure why anyone would miss that, considering the state of the global economy.

lastpage:

All the same, you are as cheap as your SONY products grin
My greatest Joy was when my son read comments on NL and decided he would give-away his PSP (l have to buy the latest Wii as replacement though! ), and he thinks you're NUTS grin

Cheers

Like father, like son!!! Why would I expect your son to think any differently from you? Does it change anything about what I have stated??
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by TheSly: 3:05am On Sep 08, 2009
FG condemns Sony’s malicious internet advert
••• Demands apology
cheesy

The Federal Government has condemned a recent advertisement on the Internet, which it said was damaging to Nigeria’s image. The advertisement it was learnt was allegedly placed on Youtube.com and Facebook.com by Sony Corporation, an electronic company based in Tokyo, Japan.

A letter dispatched to the company by the government said the advertisement by the organization creates the impression that Nigerians hardly do genuine business.

The letter signed by the Information and Communications Minister, Professor Dora Akunyili and dispatched to Sony Corporation through Embassy of Japan said the government sees the advertisement as an attempt to undermine Nigeria’s business interest around the world.

The Federal Government said Sony Corporation should immediately withdraw the advertisement from circulation and tender an apology to Nigeria for the negative campaign.
“The Federal Government of Nigeria has as a matter of policy put in place institutions and mechanism to rid the country of any form of fraudulent pracitises.
“Nigeria therefore, does not see the basis to single out the country as an example in that infamous advertisement,” FG said.

The government said the apology must be given the same measure of publicity by Sony Corporation in all channels where the advertisement, were aired.
While assuring investors around the world that Nigeria remains a major investment destination and a country where most business thrives in trust, good faith, competition, competence and integrity, Prof. Akunyili said Sony Corporation has operated in Nigeria since the country’s independence and has enjoyed tremendous patronage from Nigerians at home.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/sept/08/national-08-09-2009-006.htm

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 3:25am On Sep 08, 2009
The Sly:

“The Federal Government of Nigeria has as a matter of policy put in place institutions and mechanism to rid the country of any form of fraudulent pracitises.“Nigeria therefore, does not see the basis to single out the country as an example in that infamous advertisement,” FG said.

Roflmao!!!
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by bidemi12(m): 3:44am On Sep 08, 2009
I do not see what the problem is here. I believe b4 we can really comment on this issue or be biased based on citizenship we should ask some pertinent questions. 1) is this the first anti Nigerian ad in the US? well no, it is an ongoing thing, i mostly claim Ghana heritage because of the heinous fraudulent crimes Nigerians are commiting here and back home. Once you are asked where you come from and you say Nigeria they quickly check for their credit cards and wallet. 2) are the allegations about our notoriety on the internet all fabricated? also no. even me that is a Nigerian get tons of fraud mails from our guys here, the question is are we the only country with access to the internet? 3) Is the Nigerian media, govt, movie industry helping matters at all? Also no. As a matter of fact they are adding gasoline to the fire. The govt. in Nigerian is the worst culprit. Can you imagine a man who keeps feces in his house complaining when he is called a dirty man? I BEG THEY SHOULD NOT WASTE OUR RESOURCES ON ANY YEYE LAWSUIT. Before you know what is happening they will claim they used 2 billion naira to pursue the case. grin
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by larimo(m): 7:58am On Sep 08, 2009
Its ok to do an AD but not a derogatory AD as sony's. did they have to say that to sell their products? Absolute rubbish.

Even if naija is in such a bad state as per 419, does not mean we let others to ruin what's left. Afterall, America has its many sins that the media talks no more of, cos to them its a lifestyle.

Pls FG, ban the import and further sales of Sony products in Naija and see whether they would not re-make the AD with a better msg.

Insolent, arrogant and empty Americans!
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by inspiragh(m): 10:19am On Sep 08, 2009
Sony! Sony! Sony! Court! Court! Court! . You guys should just stop mrs clinton said the truth and was criticised. Now sony does an advert based on facts and here we are talking about going to court. Nobody will go to court b.c sony will obviously win the case. The ad is based on fact which u and i and even the judges know about. Ask ursef upon all de countries of the world they chose nigeria. There is no court case unless sony says something that is not true but until then other adverts are on the way and madam dora who has lost all the respect she gained as nafdac dg cannot do anything about it.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by inspiragh(m): 10:53am On Sep 08, 2009
If Fg ban the importation and sales of sony products in the country. The truth remains that sony will lose nothing but nigeria will lose something. Do we produce any here? Which is the best in terms of what sony does world over? Our leaders have failed us and to survive we do what we have to do even online. Look at the story of the CBN and the 5 banks at a time like this, there are so many ways to handle that without raising dust and tomorrow CNN does and ad based on that dora will foolishly draft another stupid letter and send it to the american embassy and we'll be here to talk about. They've got nothing to lose
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by pages(f): 11:32am On Sep 08, 2009
I just saw the Advert and some days back i think over the weekend I heard a press release by the minister of information on this demanding that Sonyshould apologise for the advert. I have just been wondering for those that are in support of the advert, it is like someone branding you a thief and you accept the name tag just because your brother(s) is a thief.

Some of those scammer's emails are so very glaring that they are scam mails and one decided to go ahead and do the business and when you get your fingers burnt you blame anyone. Most of them are very greedy. For instance you get a mail saying that he is the "minister of petroleum" and there is business for you do and from all indictations that so call biz will end up defrauding a nation's treasury and you still go ahead to do with it. Who will you now blame for being a mugu.

We all blame the government for the bad image but as a individual what little effort are you making to stop this. Government cant certainly not do all for us. If we on our part stop accepting to be branded all those negetive things and start saying good things about ourselves it will be a step in the right direction.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by inspiragh(m): 11:41am On Sep 08, 2009
If sony eventually removes the ad, i'll upload it online personally. It's simply beautiful and the message is direct. I'll buy the product too, lol
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 11:51am On Sep 08, 2009
pages:

I just saw the Advert and some days back i think over the weekend I heard a press release by the minister of information on this demanding that Sonyshould apologise for the advert. I have just been wondering for those that are in support of the advert, it is like someone branding you a thief and you accept the name tag just because your brother(s) is a thief.
I don’t support the Ad, but at the same time, I don’t anything wrong or false in it. And when you say it is like someone branding you a thief because your brother is a thief, I ask you, what particular line in that ad does that? The brand is specific – Nigerian internet millionaire. I am not a Nigerian internet millionaire, and if I have no insecurity issues, why would I think any mention of my brother is a mention of me?

pages:

Some of those scammer's emails are so very glaring that they are scam mails and one decided to go ahead and do the business and when you get your fingers burnt you blame anyone. Most of them are very greedy. For instance you get a mail saying that he is the "minister of petroleum" and there is business for you do and from all indictations that so call biz will end up defrauding a nation's treasury and you still go ahead to do with it. Who will you now blame for being a mugu.
That does not remove from the fact that these scams are crimes though. Whether it is greed or carelessness when one leaves his door open at night and turns up dead in the morning by the knife of a serial killer in the area, the fact is the crime needs to be treated as a crime and not excused because of the human mistakes of the victims here.

pages:

We all blame the government for the bad image but as a individual what little effort are you making to stop this. Government cant certainly not do all for us. If we on our part stop accepting to be branded all those negetive things and start saying good things about ourselves it will be a step in the right direction.

I don’t blame the government for the bad image, but I do make it clear that the government is responsible for not getting a control on the situation. DEMANDING that people respect you by force has NEVER helped any group. Ask the Germans!!! You earn respect. Deny the negatives all you want, at the end of the day what counts, and what the world wants to see is that you are really doing something about the negative news. We have all seen how America, in the last couple of months, has worked hard to change its global image. It did not go about telling people not to publish ads of America being an evil global power. It simply got to work on its image by changing the way it worked with its neighbors and friends and also telling the world it is changing.
Nigeria and Nigerians needs to change themselves! You can force the world not to speak of you or mention you, but that does not mean they will see you in better light. And that does not mean people will welcome you with open arms or even want to do more with you.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by lannre(m): 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2009
And the Advert is even on The Punch Newspaper. I believe Dora and Nigerians should start from The Punch. What a business maligning your country character[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2009
Since when did stating things as they are become same as maligning your own country?

I bet many of you on here were quick to and continue to label other countries the evil to your personal lives eg. the ones who continue to think America and most western countries are evil to their reasoning and go as far as to twist every story they can to demean these countries. There have been numerous movies made of these and you even have ads depicting these views.

How many americans do you think stay awake at night calling for the administration to do something about it?
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by proudly9ja(m): 12:19pm On Sep 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Since when did stating things as they are become same as maligning your own country?

I bet many of you on here were quick to and continue to label other countries the evil to your personal lives eg. the ones who continue to think America and most western countries are evil to their reasoning and go as far as to twist every story they can to demean these countries. There have been numerous movies made of these and you even have ads depicting these views.

How many americans do you think stay awake at night calling for the administration to do something about it?

I totally disagree with this line of reasoning. Noone is saying we dont have a bad image. All we are saying is that it was wrong for SONY to depict it in their ads. Arabs are known for their militia and terrorism and this is even depicted in movies but let one reputable coy try and depict it in an ad and see what happens!

Its the same way when a friend calls you a nigger, it isn't a problem but it becomes a big issue when its an official issue. No matter how close Obama and Brown can be, even if they were childhood friends, he dares not call him a nigger publicly.

SONY did wrong, lets accept that and move forward!
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by dnex(m): 12:26pm On Sep 08, 2009
I just wanted to be sure cos a couple of days back, there was some kind of glitch when I tried to post on Nairaland.

Now though I've discovered that posters that don't support Sony in their madness are strategically blocked from posting in order to skew the discussion.

Seun, is this not childish and extremely petty? Is this how you see successful forums managing their affairs?

This same issue is being thrashed out on Facebook and I cannot imagine Mark Zuckerberg coming to delete posts because they don't carry his opinions.

I also want to make it clear that there are some members of this forum who may be privileged to post on this site in order to have their wound of ignorance cured by knowledge, I'm not here to exercise a privilege, I'm here to carry a burden and really I'm getting tired of the morons whose burden am trying to bear heaping more on me.

My "nex" ID which has just been banned was not registered by me because I wanted to enjoy the privilege of posting, it was because the owner of Nairaland begged me to join in order to earn his daily bread.

But now the bread is probably overflowing his table, my posting here has become a privilege to me. No wonder you people are so sure that your forum will never reach 10 million members.

Next thing, you will stretch out your wretched fingers and type "Why Is Nigeria Not Working?".
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by kuramo: 12:30pm On Sep 08, 2009
If my memory serves me right, did the Federal Executive Council ( FEC ) not approve Billions of Naira recently for NTA to purchase and upgrade their obsolete equipments with guess what,  SONY products.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by Kobojunkie: 12:30pm On Sep 08, 2009
proudly9ja:

I totally disagree with this line of reasoning. Noone is saying we dont have a bad image. All we are saying is that it was wrong for SONY to depict it in their ads. Arabs are known for their militia and terrorism and this is even depicted in movies but let one reputable coy try and depict it in an ad and see what happens!
Do YOU make the rules on what reputable companies can or cannot say?

proudly9ja:

Its the same way when a friend calls you a nigger, it isn't a problem but it becomes a big issue when its an official issue.

Oh please! Let us not start company apples with monster cars here!! Jeezzz!!! What has NIGGER to do with this? Is calling one a Serial Killer(when the person is guilty of this CRIME) the same as Calling one a White man? COME ON!!
proudly9ja:

No matter how close Obama and Brown can be, even if they were childhood friends, he dares not call him a nigger publicly.

SONY did wrong, lets accept that and move forward!
I am sorry, the examples are SERIOUSLY disconnected. What has calling someone a NIGGER to do with this?
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by MadMax1(f): 2:50pm On Sep 08, 2009
lastpage:

I think you would have had of Anonymizers before?
Any I.P address can be made to come from anywhere, its a question of choosing your Server.
What if, (like some foreigners prefer to use Nigerian Passports to commit crime) some of these scammers ain't even Nigerians but "anonymize" as if from Nigeria?In this modern times, 99.99% of origin means nothing, in real terms.

So right. Criminals with fake Nigerian passports were rampant in the 90s; Africans and black nationals of foreign countries. If people can go as far as getting Nigerian passports to hide behind,imagine the opportunities the internet affords them. These people are not stupid. You'd be amazed at what Indian and American hackers get up to;apart from designing viruses that crash millions of computers worldwide just for the hell of it,they break codes  and pull off smart, sophisticated cybercrimes.

Yes, we have a real problem with scammers at cybercafes, and we have bad government.But there are governments more corrupt than Nigeria's (YES!), inhuman institutions that terrorize,disposses and murder its citizens on a large scale.The problem is, the world has acquired a taste for bad press  about Nigeria. It's the crimes Nigerians commit that sells copy, and so they get constant publicity,over and over until it seems we're the most criminal and terrible people on earth. You find people who've never met a single Nigerian hating Nigerians and all they stand for. And yet Nigerians are no worse and no better than any other group of humans on earth. There are criminal elements everywhere, in every country. It's absurd to suggest an entire country is dishonest merely because they're 'Nigerian'.

The ad is a cheap attempt by SONY to tap into the current of paranoia and hatred for Nigerians simply to sell  a product. SONY insults an entire country and calls Nigerians criminals. The rest of the world is supposed to say 'Oh yeah.Horrible people. I dig that, SONY. I'm rushing out to buy a PS3'. It's a marketing startegy that reinforces negative stereotypes about Nigerians and strengthens ill feeling towards them. We want our problems to end,we want people to stop treating us like shit. But ads like that only make things worse.

There are Nigerians who have done great things. We have booker prize winners, Pulitzer prize winners, Nobel Prize winners.There are brilliant Nigerian scholars in universities all over the world.  Nigerians have distinguished themselves internationally in every field from medicine to sports to science. We have outstanding Nigerians at NASA, at WHO, at the World Bank, in the United Nations. I heard they called in a Nigerian chemist during, was it  Chernobyl? To imply that the majority of a hundred and fifty million people are dishonest merely because they're Nigerian is absurd to an extreme.For SONY to insult them all as a marketing strategy is insanely irresponsible. Even worse is to applaud this and imply we're all dishonest and 'deserve' to be insulted and negative ideas about us perpertuated by a global company.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by cripnip(m): 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2009
until we can make our own game console, we're as dependent as a child in the womb.
other dependent countries freed themselves (food, tech, nuclear stuff) before talking.
i say lay low until we clean up yahooze acts and importation before going to court.
i wonder when that'll be as yahooze still top charts and i an electrical electronics student can't figure out a psp
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by agitator: 4:53pm On Sep 08, 2009
when corruption is done openly without regard for norms in a civilised society, how do you expect to be tagged.

Police take bribe openly right from the top to the lowest officer
doctors refer you to their private clinics from government hospitals
parents, teachers and principals help students to cheat right from primary school first school leaving certificate
Lecturers openly have s3x with female students to pass them not just having affair with one person (selling handouts as a must buy if you want to pass their courses, now converted to textbooks with hardcovers).
People who could not afford two square meals a day suddently possessing fleet of cars and hosting unnecessary parties.
Re: Federal Govt Please Stop Sony Entertainment. by KKool: 6:02pm On Sep 08, 2009
It is a big shame for Sony Entertainment to descend to such a low ebb to air such an advert which clearly is disrespectful to the people of Nigeria and complete disregard to international respect and standards.

Nigerians all over the world should rise up with great outcry against such an advert which is deliberately intended to disrepute our country. With the access to the international media and internet, it is no longer true to believe that any country in the world is devoid of crimes, scams, diseases as the western media tend to over portray Africa.

Dr Mrs Dora Akunyili must step up the pressure on Sony through the appropriate embassies to stop this rubbish, and all those crap people who air such old fashioned and uninformed views.

Up Nigeria, GOOD PEOPLE, GREAT NATION!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

We Have Not Paid Our Secretariat Staff For Over 3 Years- PDP National Secretary / Kayode Fayemi Leads Nigerian Delegation To Australia, September 6 / FAAC: FG, States, LGs Share N701 Billion In April

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.