Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,533 members, 7,812,655 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ (17797 Views)

The Reason For The Resurrection - Joseph Prince / 10 Reasons To Accept The Resurrection Of Jesus As An Historical Fact / Why Is The Sunday Before The Resurrection Of Christ Called Palm Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 13, 2016
Seun:
To be honest, I'm putting my views out there because i believe they are true, and also because I want to start meeting people of like mind.

This thread is not mockery. I'm just observing that the evidence for the belief that Jesus rose from the dead seems to be very weak

They didn't testify about the resurrection. This thread is focused on that.

Tnx, but I think most Nairaland members are smart enough to see the flaws. They may not acknowledge them, but they will see them.

If God had made the evidence strong, the gospel would be useless.

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by 4nobody4every1: 8:41pm On Jul 13, 2016
Stupedinluv:

If God had made the evidence strong, the gospel would be useless.
True, Apostle Paul says the preaching of the gospel is foolishness to the unsaved but unto us who are save it is the power of God unto salvation, God chooses the weakest things to confound the wise and the foolishness of GOD is the wisdom of Man cool

2 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Weah96: 2:06am On Jul 14, 2016
4nobody4every1:
True, Apostle Paul says the preaching of the gospel is foolishness to the unsaved but unto us who are save it is the power of God unto salvation, God chooses the weakest things to confound the wise and the foolishness of GOD is the wisdom of Man cool

Where does wisdom come from?
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by 4nobody4every1: 6:32am On Jul 14, 2016
Weah96:

Where does wisdom come from?
Tell me, l want to know as well grin grin
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Image123(m): 9:53pm On Jul 14, 2016
dalaman:

Who mentioned building here. All the various opposing sects I see around Nigeria today and the world as a whole all claim they believe in Jesus and have recieved eternal life. So which one body is the correct body or denomination? Cam you give us a specific example?

You implied building or something physical and easy to see like a denomination. Salvation is a different matter from claims, claims do not make or guarantee salvation. Salvation is personal. Whosoever believes in Jesus will not perish. It is not whosoever believes he/she has the best or correct teaching.
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by dalaman: 10:45pm On Jul 14, 2016
Image123:

You implied building or something physical and easy to see like a denomination. Salvation is a different matter from claims, claims do not make or guarantee salvation. Salvation is personal. Whosoever believes in Jesus will not perish. It is not whosoever believes he/she has the best or correct teaching.

Christains have/ hold different beliefs about Jesus. Some for example some believe he is God himself, while others believe he is the son of God and different from God. How they interpret his message of salvation also differs alot.

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Image123(m): 11:10pm On Jul 14, 2016
dalaman:

Christains have/ hold different beliefs about Jesus. Some for example some believe he is God himself, while others believe he is the son of God and different from God. How they interpret his message of salvation also differs alot.

Their doctrines and understanding are not the path to salvation. The path to salvation is very clear from John 3:16
Its like you asking three humans why they have saliva in their mouth. Their producing three different answers doesn't show or prove that they don't have it,or they aren't humans. Some simply don't understand. Understanding doctrine is not a criteria to be born again.

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by dalaman: 2:33am On Jul 15, 2016
Image123:

Their doctrines and understanding are not the path to salvation. The path to salvation is very clear from John 3:16
Its like you asking three humans why they have saliva in their mouth. Their producing three different answers doesn't show or prove that they don't have it,or they aren't humans. Some simply don't understand. Understanding doctrine is not a criteria to be born again.

Not true. To be a christian you must first of all understand the message of Christ since you want to be like Christ. Without understanding his message you can't be like him. You are lying when you claim knowledge of his true message doesn't matter. It actually is everything.

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Image123(m): 11:27am On Jul 15, 2016
dalaman:

Not true. To be a christian you must first of all understand the message of Christ since you want to be like Christ. Without understanding his message you can't be like him. You are lying when you claim knowledge of his true message doesn't matter. It actually is everything.

Toh, an atheist is telling me the way/path to salvation. What would we not see on NL. i'm quoting Bible, what are you quoting? How much understanding did the thief on the cross or the Ethiopian eunuch have to be saved? You think they grasped the trinity perfectly or knew the dimensions of hell and the log book first?
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by ALAYORMII: 5:58pm On Jul 15, 2016
Seun:
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is probably the most important event in Christianity. Apostle Paul said, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith" (I Cor 15:14). He also said, "if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins". Did it really happen, though? Let's look at the evidence.

1. The Empty Tomb And The Men In White

Mark, which was the first gospel to be written, describes the incident in chapter 16:

Is it reasonable to accept this as evidence that Jesus rose from the dead? Let's see.

Jesus was the T B Joshua of his time. He came from a humble background, was loved by the masses because of his miracle ministry, and was hated by the religious establishment which didn't accept him as a true man of God and felt that his teachings were unscriptural.

Now lets imagine that T. B Joshua died, and then 3 days later the 3 women who were closest to him when he was alive in his ministry came to you with this story: That they went to T B Joshua's grave to pray and lay flowers, but when they got there, they saw that the grave had been opened, the body missing and a young guy in a white suit was sitting there. And the guy told them that T B Joshua had risen from the dead.

Would it be reasonable to believe that T B Joshua had risen from the dead on the basis of this testimony? Wouldn't you be suspicious that T B Joshua's body had been stolen by his top pastors to make it appear that he had risen? That the man in white was just an accomplice of the thieves? That maybe the women were hallucinating due to their grief, or simply lying to hype their hero and crush?

Luke's Gospel, written about 10 years later, describes the same incident thus:

Notice how the story has been altered to solve the issues with the first one, and spiced up?

Imagine if, in the hypothetical case of TB Joshua's alleged resurrection, the women who told you about his empty grave came back 10 years later to tell the same story. But this time, instead of a young man in a white suit who was sitting by the grave when they arrived, they claim that there was no one at T B joshua's grave initially and then suddenly, two men in glowing suits as bright as the sun (implying angels) appeared before them and gave them a scriptural lesson. Would those changes make the story more believable to you, or less so?

2. Appearing To His Closest Followers

According to Mark's Gospel,

In short, Jesus' closest followers claimed that he appeared to them at various times after his body went missing. Jesus closest followers had everything to lose by his death, and everything to gain by getting people to believe the resurrection story. They had sold all their posessions and left their families and professions to join Jesus' ministry. With his death, that ministry was finished, but the ressurection story brought it back to life. Knowing about this serious conflict of interest, it reasonable to accept their testimony as evidence that the resurrection actually happened?

If TB Joshua died and the top pastors in his church said he appeared to them, would you believe it for one moment?

3. His Appearance To 500 Believers

According to 1 Corinthians 15:6,

This would seem like the least weak evidence for the resurrection, due to the sheer number of potential witnesses, until you start to wonder why none of the Gospels mentioned it. Not even imaginative Luke of the robes as white as lightening. Why would all the Gospel writers have choosen to leave out what would have been their strongest evidence? 500 witnesses! Because it didn't happen? Because it was too early to tell such a big lie and get away with it? I don't know.

And even if we want to at issume that it happened, we must not forget that it would be quite easy for any illusionist to stage the appearance of Jesus to people who strongly want to believe that he is still alive. Benny Hinn tells a story about Jesus appearing during one of his crusades, and people believe it.

Conclusion:
The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is a bunch of testimonies attributed to people who had every reason to lie during a period when people were far more superstitious and gullible than we are today because they didn't have science. It's not sufficient to convince an objective modern person that a 3 day old corpse whose brain and heart would have decayed considerably actually came back to life, held meetings in person with various people, and then ascended into outer space. Or ... What do you think?

What do you think about this??

I rather live my life as if there's a God and later find out there's none than live my life as if there's no God and later find out there's one.

Heaven or hell

You still have to work to get to either

2 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by whiteNgold: 6:45pm On Jul 15, 2016
Seun:
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is probably the most important event in Christianity. Apostle Paul said, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith" (I Cor 15:14). He also said, "if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins". Did it really happen, though? Let's look at the evidence.

Mark, which was the first gospel to be written, describes the incident in chapter 16:

Is it reasonable to accept this as evidence that Jesus rose from the dead? Let's see.

Jesus was the T B Joshua of his time. He came from a humble background, was loved by the masses because of his miracle ministry, and was hated by the religious establishment which didn't accept him as a true man of God and felt that his teachings were unscriptural.

Now lets imagine that T. B Joshua died, and then 3 days later the 3 women who were closest to him when he was alive in his ministry came to you with this story: That they went to T B Joshua's grave to pray and lay flowers, but when they got there, they saw that the grave had been opened, the body missing and a young guy in a white suit was sitting there. And the guy told them that T B Joshua had risen from the dead.

Would it be reasonable to believe that T B Joshua had risen from the dead on the basis of this testimony? Wouldn't you be suspicious that T B Joshua's body had been stolen by his top pastors to make it appear that he had risen? That the man in white was just an accomplice of the thieves? That maybe the women were hallucinating due to their grief, or simply lying to hype their hero and crush?

Notice how the story has been altered to solve the issues with the first one, and spiced up?

Imagine if, in the hypothetical case of TB Joshua's alleged resurrection, the women who told you about his empty grave came back 10 years later to tell the same story. But this time, instead of a young man in a white suit who was sitting by the grave when they arrived, they claim that there was no one at T B joshua's grave initially and then suddenly, two men in glowing suits as bright as the sun (implying angels) appeared before them and gave them a scriptural lesson. Would those changes make the story more believable to you, or less so?

In short, Jesus' closest followers claimed that he appeared to them at various times after his body went missing. Jesus closest followers had everything to lose by his death, and everything to gain by getting people to believe the resurrection story. They had sold all their posessions and left their families and professions to join Jesus' ministry. With his death, that ministry was finished, but the ressurection story brought it back to life. Knowing about this serious conflict of interest, it reasonable to accept their testimony as evidence that the resurrection actually happened?

If TB Joshua died and the top pastors in his church said he appeared to them, would you believe it for one moment?

This would seem like the least weak evidence for the resurrection, due to the sheer number of potential witnesses, until you start to wonder why none of the Gospels mentioned it. Not even imaginative Luke of the robes as white as lightening. Why would all the Gospel writers have choosen to leave out what would have been their strongest evidence? 500 witnesses! Because it didn't happen? Because it was too early to tell such a big lie and get away with it? I don't know.

And even if we want to at issume that it happened, we must not forget that it would be quite easy for any illusionist to stage the appearance of Jesus to people who strongly want to believe that he is still alive. Benny Hinn tells a story about Jesus appearing during one of his crusades, and people believe it.

Conclusion:
The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is a bunch of testimonies attributed to people who had every reason to lie during a period when people were far more superstitious and gullible than we are today because they didn't have science. It's not sufficient to convince an objective modern person that a 3 day old corpse whose brain and heart would have decayed considerably actually came back to life, held meetings in person with various people, and then ascended into outer space. Or ... What do you think?
this is nonsense, u don't know what ur saying... mtcheeeew
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by kasmax(m): 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2016
@Seun there is no point asking questions you already have answers for. When u get to the end of this road, you realize the truth will only create conflict. The world has seen much of that. You mentioned that your convictions are true and u seek like minds. I know wot dat is like, it's being lonely. As a leader, ur convictions don't matter, we can only strive for unity. Our beliefs are a culture to us and we have our identity in them regardless of reason. Neither u nor I nor the world can change that at least for now.
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by 2odd(m): 11:24pm On Aug 02, 2016
S͟e͟u͟n͟, h͟a͟v͟e͟ U s͟e͟e͟n͟ o͟r͟ e͟x͟p͟e͟r͟i͟e͟n͟c͟e͟ a͟f͟r͟i͟c͟a͟'s͟ d͟i͟a͟b͟o͟l͟i͟c͟a͟l͟ p͟o͟w͟e͟r͟s͟ a͟t͟ w͟o͟r͟k͟ ,i͟ m͟e͟a͟n͟ r͟e͟a͟l͟ j͟u͟j͟u͟. I͟f͟ U͟ e͟v͟e͟r͟ d͟Id͟ u͟ w͟o͟n͟t͟ d͟o͟u͟b͟t͟ C͟H͟R͟I͟S͟T͟
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Rilwayne001: 5:15pm On Oct 05, 2019
Back in the days

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 06, 2019
Rilwayne001:
Back in the days

Now you have Resurrected seun back to life after 3 years.

Ayam witness
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Hismasterpiece(m): 10:28pm On Dec 10, 2019
Seun:

Conclusion:

I'll just use scripture to counter your points.

Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[c]

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom,

23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

24Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom

25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.

27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,

29 so that no one may boast before him.

30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

The gospel is basically a testimony of Jesus, the Son of God who took God's full wrath and judgment for the sins of the whole world, so all who humble themselves and believe in Him can receive forgiveness for their sins, be justified, and have peace with God.

From the above scripture, the message of the gospel is obvious.

The message of the gospel, which means good news, is BELIEVE. Jesus said that for any man to enter into God's Kingdom he must be born again. To be born again, such a person must believe in Him.

To believe means to accept as being true. And once a person believes, God immediately crucifies their old spirit on the cross with Jesus and gives them a new spirit created according to true righteousness and holiness.

Nowhere in the scriptures does God ask us to relate with Him based on proof. He understands that although we are Spirits, as long as we live in this physical house which is our body, we'll be more dominated by what we perceive through our five senses. God knew that men would demand proof of everything witnessed by scriptures, that's why He asks us to believe only.

Because believing we are putting the facts and knowledge contained in our peanut brains aside and humbling ourselves before The Almighty Go, which is what God wants. Only the humble ever get anything from God.

The gospel is stupid and foolish. It is not to be proved, but believed.

The Jews and Greeks of today could be identified as the intellectuals of the day, who demand signs and wisdom but God won't give them any.

JESUS IS LORD!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

RCCG 2021 Holy Ghost Congress; The Siege Is Over! / Why So Much Attention On Bishop Oyedepo And Pastor Adeboye On Nairaland / Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.