Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! (25471 Views)

How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? / Corporate Barber In Tie At His Work Place. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by careercrew1: 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2016
Estherfaith:

Apart from his words, no concrete evidence.
Try and get some evidence if you can. This will give you the edge when you want to report the issue.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by tomquest: 4:43am On Jun 30, 2016
I don't know the organizational structure of your coy. But this is what you should do

1) get evidence:
Buy one of those spy cameras usually concealed in a pendant, wristwatch or hand band. Record him (video plus audio).

2) put it in writing:
Write/type a sexual harassment complaint letter/memo and COPY NOT LESS THAN 3 of his superiors (eg, regional manager, and 2 others). In the letter, in a very polite language, state how the harassment is affecting your productivity.

3) on his next harassment, give him a copy of the memo. If it's a bank, he would nearly collapse when you serve him the memo. And he would ask you if you've copied his superiors. Respond that you would send them their copies if he repeats the assault again.

4) relax and enjoy your peace. If he bothers you again, come and arrest me.

NB: NEVER and I repeat never you raise your hand to slap your boss! Those people advising you to hit him have probably never worked in a large structured organization.

And finally, NEVER you disclose the harassment to your colleagues. Bosses always have one or two "ears" amongst your peers, and so they can "gauge" your next move even before you attempt it.

Trust me.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by JobAirport: 8:28am On Jul 01, 2016
Estherfaith:
I usually don't do this, but right now I am so angry I want to resign.

I started working here almost 2 years ago, and sincerely at a point, I wanted to resign because my boss was very difficult, I never did anything right in his sight.

Fast forward a year later,

due to the nature of my job, I spend most of my office hours with him, and now my very stupid boss is sexually harassing me, it started with just holding my hands but right now it has gotten to him trying to move his hands close to my private part! I am not exaggerating here!.. I have been acting really matured and trying to act professional but this afternoon was the height of it, he told me 'why are you acting like a virgin sef', I almost slapped him

Please I need advice on this, how do I handle work place harassment please, without it leading to court and all that. I have gotten angry, I have told him I am not comfortable with it, but he still continues, trying to push his luck the next time..

Anybody that have experienced such situation should let me know how they overcame it without destroying the business relationship you've worked so hard for.

Pardon my creation of a new Moniker, I have advertised a position here and I will not want the name of the company searched and displayed.

Hi,

I understand your dilemma.

Please contact our team of professional advisers using the link on the picture below.

Thank you.

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by byvan03: 1:27am On Jul 02, 2016
You should learn to draw boundaries, you don't mope on while you get molested because you think you are acting mature. Learn to reject what you don't want from onset, you don't let him hold your hands and think that's maturity. You only proved you are weak and he believes with the right amount of pressure, you will carve in. Acting mature is standing up for yourself and saying a big No to bull*shit.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by ofemigeorge(m): 6:08am On Jul 02, 2016
The way you dress is the way people address u. Do u have a big booty and wear very tight short skirt. You makeup are they heavy that makes you look like a lose girl. You shirt may be too tight showing cleavage. I still use to say it most of all these women makeup, fake hair, lip stuck are possess things from Marine world to make men loss control sexually towards the wearer. Make I no start to dey preach....just look more decent.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by illuminada: 6:11am On Jul 02, 2016
Estherfaith:

I feel your pains...did you just say he owns the company? Mehn, that changes everything.

With the high unemployment rate, it could be tough finding another job right away. I think you mentioned he claims to be a 'born again' Christian. You can probably use that to appeal to his sense of reasoning. Maybe attend his church one day and mingle with folks he tries to form holy holy with....walai, this will seat him up knowing his reputation is at risk. If na part-time pastor sef...makes it even better!!!! Hahahahaa...try that, see how it goes.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by ofemigeorge(m): 6:17am On Jul 02, 2016
Seeeeeeee:
Ok what do u want to hear?
From your statemet he started by holding your hand and you acted maturely...

Now his hands is getting down your private part according by your post....

We men behave funny when we see a girl as cheap with slutry behaviour, so co ordinate your self no man will try lowering his hand down your private part in the office or talk of sex with you if you behave responsible.
Slut behaviour ...guy you done get am. Secret be that ooo. Some ladies have these behaviour and some don't even know they are displaying it. It is the next thing a man notice after the dressing.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by illuminada: 6:20am On Jul 02, 2016
JobAirport:

Hi,

I understand your dilemma.

Please contact our team of professional advisers using the link on the picture below.

Thank you.

Aaaah.....awon flipmode squad ti de, lol.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Frank3n2(m): 6:20am On Jul 02, 2016
Get a spy glass or any spy gadget nd recored him in the act. You know the rest.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:21am On Jul 02, 2016
Estherfaith:

I started working here almost 2 years ago, and sincerely at a point, I wanted to resign because my boss was very difficult, I never did anything right in his sight.

due to the nature of my job, I spend most of my office hours with him, and now my very stupid boss is sexually harassing me, it started with just holding my hands but right now it has gotten to him trying to move his hands close to my private part! I am not exaggerating here!.. I have been acting really matured and trying to act professional but this afternoon was the height of it, he told me 'why are you acting like a virgin sef', I almost slapped him

Please I need advice on this, how do I handle work place harassment please, without it leading to court and all that. I have gotten angry, I have told him I am not comfortable with it, but he still continues, trying to push his luck the next time..

Anybody that have experienced such situation should let me know how they overcame it without destroying the business relationship you've worked so hard for.

Pardon my creation of a new Moniker, I have advertised a position here and I will not want the name of the company searched and displayed.

Pray without SEASON

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Mememan: 6:22am On Jul 02, 2016
Estherfaith:

Go and make a report in the police station (without his knowledge)
Next time he try any thing stupıd, PLEASE GIVE HIM A BASTÂRD SLAP.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by oluala881: 6:23am On Jul 02, 2016
My sister handle it maturelyn if you resign t'he next work you get do you know what will happen there. Secondly you have to change his mentality about you because for men to do that t'he mentality about t'he lady is questioned thirdly your dressing must be decent and finaly dont slap him but put your feet down give him a sound warning and each time he is about trying that you are to work out of t'he office and you have to be reservative if you talk too much. For further advice contact m'he on 08060112037 or bbm 261E192B. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Mememan: 6:25am On Jul 02, 2016
daewoorazer:
Vry simple...get al those secret camcoder or perhaps use ur pone...always place it in positn wen xpecting him...

Once u av a vid record of him tryin to harass u, replicate in folds and show him u'l sue him next time he tries sumthn funy wch includes sackn u without reason.

I hope its nt estherfabian hiding unda dat moniker shocked
The mumu rushed to open a new moniker grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by meekmk(m): 6:28am On Jul 02, 2016
Get an audio recorder.. Record all he says.. Get a good lawyer and get paid!
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by BluStreak(m): 6:32am On Jul 02, 2016
@Estherfaith, pls pay no mind to the "Give him a resounding slap" advocates. I guess they missed the part where you reiterated your boss owns the company. Now that, is a game changer.

Due to the high un(under)employment presently, this case requires the wisdom of solomon to navigate through. I like the spy camera angle so you can have a voice and video evidence against him. Voice alone might not cut it if he hires the services of a strong lawyer. Another method might be to appal to his conscience using his born again cloak as a veritable tool. You can start attending his church and always go to greet him and his family at the end of the day's service. Do this consistently for a while and you'll notice he'd change.

Best of luck warding off the predator.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by biggielawajo(m): 6:34am On Jul 02, 2016
illuminada:

Aaaah.....awon flipmode squad ti de, lol.
flipmode squad for real
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Eaugusta(f): 6:34am On Jul 02, 2016
Report him to God with a sincere heart, do just 3 days prayer for him and I assure u that it will be over.

In times like this, I only cry to God.

I have only experienced it with a lecturer though, all I did was to report him to God and He fought the battle.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by telemapreye1(f): 6:35am On Jul 02, 2016
Seeeeeeee:
Ok what do u want to hear?
From your statemet he started by holding your hand and you acted maturely...

Now his hands is getting down your private part according by your post....

We men behave funny when we see a girl as cheap with slutry behaviour, so co ordinate your self no man will try lowering his hand down your private part in the office or talk of sex with you if you behave responsible.
Jeez...i cant believe you typed this.
I'm sure you are just like the man
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by telemapreye1(f): 6:37am On Jul 02, 2016
Been there, but in my own case I quit the job....cant go and sell my body cos of job.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by ALVA001: 6:37am On Jul 02, 2016
Estherfaith:

Am suprised no 1 is asking d real question, are married or have a boyfriend, lover or fiance.
Hang his picture in ur office or adopt a ring.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by joyandfaith: 6:38am On Jul 02, 2016
https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/sexual-harassment/

Consider these practical suggestions based on wisdom found in the Bible:
1. Be businesslike. Be pleasant and respectful to workmates, yet avoid the sort of friendliness that implies that you would accept their sexual interest.— Matthew 10:16; Colossians 4:6 .
2. Dress modestly. Wearing provocative clothing sends the wrong message. The Bible recommends dressing “with modesty and soundness of mind.”— 1 Timothy 2:9 .
3. Choose your friends wisely. If you spend time with those who tolerate or even welcome flirting or sexual advances, you are more likely to receive the same treatment.— Proverbs 13:20 .
4. Reject offensive talk. Excuse yourself if a conversation turns to “dirty stories, foolish talk, or obscene jokes.”— Ephesians 5:4 , God’s Word Bible.
5. Avoid compromising situations. For example, beware of invitations to stay at work after hours without a valid reason.— Proverbs 22:3 .
6. Be firm and direct. If you are sexually harassed, clearly tell your harasser that his or her behavior is unwelcome. ( 1 Corinthians 14:9 ) For instance, you could say: “You keep brushing against me, and it makes me very uncomfortable. I want you to stop.” You could write a letter to your harasser describing what happened, how it made you feel, and what you want to happen next. Make clear that your stance is based on your moral and religious convictions.— 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 .
7. Get help. If the harassment continues, confide in a trusted friend, family member, or coworker or in someone experienced in helping victims. ( Proverbs 27:9 ) Many victims of sexual harassment have found support through prayer. Even if you haven’t prayed before, don’t underestimate the help you can receive from Jehovah, “the God of all comfort.”— 2 Corinthians 1:3 .
Sexual harassment creates a hostile work environment for millions, but the Bible can help.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by defash8: 6:38am On Jul 02, 2016
Send sms to his wife from anonymous phone that the husband is trying to get down with you in the office.

Let him know you have fiance.

If after doing so he still persist then you can try to make money off him through various advises stated earlier.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by ayibatari99(m): 6:40am On Jul 02, 2016
Estherfaith:

The mistake most women made is by dressing inappropriately in their working place. You will set yourself up, then come back and be complaining of sexual harassment. While right from the time go! you caused temptation by dressing indecently or behaving unprofessionally in the eyes of your co-workers. Your boss even said it out and i Quote "why are you acting like a virgin sef'. Have you asked yourself how he jumps to conclusion that you are not a virgin woman? I'm sure he judge's you by your personality. May be you are endowed with Boobs, Bum-bum, beautiful face, sexy legs etc. See to be frank i personally sometimes get attracted by ladies voice, yes! just voice. So i am very sure you were the one that mistakenly nurtured him and set his stupid, dirty small head to ACTIVATION mode. I'm not saying it's your fault 100%, he too may be a diligent fornicator who targets anything hidden under the skirts. But I am telling you, there are some no go areas where our small heads grin wont dare near, not to even talk of trespassing. To cut it short, my advice to you is, if truly you don't want the re-occurrence of such action again, then be a God fairing person and to be that means you pray,dress and conduct yourself decently the way our Lord Jesus preached. I can bet with you, no any bastard will approach you with such intentions. Stay safe young lady wink

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by illuminada: 6:41am On Jul 02, 2016
telemapreye1:
Been there, but in my own case I quitted the job....cant go and sell my body cos of job.

Lol...quitted.

Were the circumstances similar to hers? As in, an owner managed business...did you secure another job first or just quit notwithstanding
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Tamaris1: 6:42am On Jul 02, 2016
Men are moved by what they see, unlike women by what they hear. So, a first step is to modify your dressing! No unnecessary jokes and smiles. Carry yourself in a real business-like manner. Let him know you are a Christian, and you can never indulge in such. Also, advise him to be stronger in his faith, that let him not dissappoint God and those that look up to him! Wishing you the best!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 02, 2016
I believe you op,him making you look incompetent is going to get worse, until you either resign or get fired, before it gets to that level you need evidence to nail him,especially video, if I had known in my case I would have made the move on time,only to get fired unjustly so I suggest you act fast,and when you finally have evidence, tell him to stop or you will follow the issue legally, and don't tell him you have evidence, I repeat, don't tell him you have evidence, because such men have huge ego and are often seen by society as responsible and godly, and can get dangerous to cover up their perverse ways.Till date date the man who introduced me to the job stil doesn't believe that my former boss who is an elder in the church could do such a thing,as for those insinuating the it's by what he sees that's why he is harrassing her,my own boss harassed both married, unmarried female staff
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Taryur3(m): 6:42am On Jul 02, 2016
I don't believe you...you are the one seducing our boss.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 02, 2016
From your story, it seems AGGRESSION is the language this person understands; maybe you smile 'too much' with him,

-Cut out all hints of a smile whenever you see him.

-Avoid been alone with him (if he summons you to his office, stay right in front of the door if you have to go in).

-When he's having an official/work related conversation with you, let your replies be audible enough for your colleagues to hear.

-If he tries to have a 'casual' conversation with you, act like you didn't hear...

-If he tries to molest you again, 'aggressively' push his hand(s) away with a scowl on your face threatening him with LEGAL action/the police in a raised voice(ensure your phone voice recorder [Ensure your phone is hidden] is on for records/evidence purposes WHENEVER he summons you to his office or been alone with him is unavoidable)

-If after you do all these, he refuses to get sense, maybe it's time you LEAVE that place BUT report him to the authorities so it doesn't happen to another person; could be a distant cousin.

Hope this helps...
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by telemapreye1(f): 6:44am On Jul 02, 2016
ofemigeorge:
The way you dress is the way people address u. Do u have a big booty and wear very tight short skirt. You makeup are they heavy that makes you look like a lose girl. You shirt may be too tight showing cleavage. I still use to say it most of all these women makeup, fake hair, lip stuck are possess things from Marine world to make men loss control sexually towards the wearer. Make I no start to dey preach....just look more decent.
Big lie....i don't wear trousers to work just skirt and fitted Infact I don't apply makeup but my boss still harassed me sexually.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Adesiji77: 6:44am On Jul 02, 2016
@Estherfaith Lack of corporate structure is peculiar to most owner-managed business i.e. one -man business which makes your case a challenging one: no one in the organization to channel your grievances to.

I advise that you stop "acting maturely" by being very firm whenever he touches you in an inappropriate manner. Your failure to do that before now may have been "leading him on", so to speak. Speak up and let him know that you don't appreciate such gestures.

If possible, try to record a few of such conversations on your phone as evidence for possible future use, especially if/when he later denies upon confrontation.

After doing that, jolt him that if the trend continues, you would be forced to report him to his wife, pastor or any other person that he holds in high esteem.

Meanwhile, review your wardrobe for elimination of provocative wears and start looking for a job in a better structured organization..
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by SmithHumble50: 6:44am On Jul 02, 2016
Florblu:
Before following this advice please make sure you've gotten another source of income.
Next time he tries to harass you(seems I read you were tempted to slap him)do it,give him a resounding slap if possible 3 resounding slaps.Create a wild scene let other staff witness this.Leave the office right away and report their the following day while you wait for your sack letter.

Good advice but op, does he try touching u in front of the staff or only if u are alone?

Bcuz if u slap him only two of u there.. He will attempt it again but if u slap him amongst other staff.. He will stop finally..

Is he d owner of the outfit? Does he have superiors?

Record ur conversation when he is saying rubbish..

I hate hearing stuffs like dis bcuz na dis type men dey make women feel all men are the same..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote Paid Graduate Drivers N30,000 For 3-Months Training / Mckinsey 2014 - 2015 Applications / Top5 Jobs That Pay More Than Medicine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.