Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,184 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Universities Shut Till January 2010 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Universities Shut Till January 2010 (5308 Views)

FG Closes All Public & Private Schools Till 13th Of October / Operation ASUU Must Not Call It Off!! Till January!! **sign The Petition!!!!!!!! / Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by rebelious: 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2009
@All, Nigerian students please dont be too offended by what the seeker said. He is obviously not a student, its not easy staying at home for close to three months not doing anything or looking for a job with a bare or empty c.v. @seeker, do you expect these students to back ASUU and forget their education or what. You,not ASUU nor FG nor the students,are being bias and inconsiderate. School fees can never be increased by that much percentage by the federal government or by ASUU. Thats just propaganda or whats a better word, BULLSHIT! Later some dumb employee calls a fresh graduate half baked, well its the baker that is at fault. I think its very unfair the way people look at nija students as lazy and unintelligent mean while its nt true. Ah my heart cries honestly.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by TheSeeker(m): 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2009
rebelious:

@All, Nigerian students please dont be too offended by what the seeker said. He is obviously not a student, its not easy staying at home for close to three months not doing anything or looking for a job with a bare or empty c.v. @seeker, do you expect these students to back ASUU and forget their education or what. You,not ASUU nor FG nor the students,are being bias and inconsiderate. School fees can never be increased by that much percentage by the federal government or by ASUU. Thats just propaganda or whats a better word, BULLSHIT! Later some dumb employee calls a fresh graduate half baked, well its the baker that is at fault. I think its very unfair the way people look at nija students as lazy and unintelligent mean while its nt true. Ah my heart cries honestly.
You damned well wish I'm not a student but tell you what, I am. Though I may have finished from a Nigerian university but I was actively involved in student union government and know how these things work. If you have doubts, call up one of your lecturers and see what he has to say about the showdown and you'll see if I'm right or wrong. So if they don't back ASUU what happens? Nothing my friend. Truthfully, ASUU don't need your support to act, you need them more than they need you or you'll continue going on strike for the next 20 years. You're looking at the negative side of this fracas and not the positive side. Do you think it speaks well of Nigeria that professors are paid less than =N=4million per year and a bloodless illiterate (councilor) is paid =N=13million per year? And you think they are selfish just because students are involved?

A Yoruba adage says, "if two elephants are at war, the grass thereof bears the brunt," -- the students are the grass. Leave or lump it. Support your teachers or you'll end up staying home for a year or you keep antagonizing your teachers, they accept a half baked agreement and you go on strike in another 6 months.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by dadamike: 3:50pm On Sep 09, 2009
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by BlackRevo: 4:14pm On Sep 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

You damned well wish I'm not a student but tell you what, I am. Though I may have finished from a Nigerian university but I was actively involved in student union government and know how these things work. If you have doubts, call up one of your lecturers and see what he has to say about the showdown and you'll see if I'm right or wrong. So if they don't back ASUU what happens? Nothing my friend. Truthfully, ASUU don't need your support to act, you need them more than they need you or you'll continue going on strike for the next 20 years. You're looking at the negative side of this fracas and not the positive side. Do you think it speaks well of Nigeria that professors are paid less than =N=4million per year and a bloodless illiterate (councilor) is paid =N=13million per year? And you think they are selfish just because students are involved?

A Yoruba adage says, "if two elephants are at war, the grass thereof bears the brunt," -- the students are the grass. Leave or lump it. Support your teachers or you'll end up staying home for a year or you keep antagonizing your teachers, they accept a half baked agreement and you go on strike in another 6 months.

@The seeker you have said all i have to say already, The student are just seeing the bitter parts of these struggle and not the reward. The problem why ASUU keeps striking all the time and over again is because of these student. They have never been in support of ASUU and whereas ASUU is fighting for every one.

If a senator can get a sitting benefit allowance they should also give to these lecturers as well.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by TheSeeker(m): 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2009
Black_Revo:

@The seeker you have said all i have to say already, The student are just seeing the bitter parts of these struggle and not the reward. The problem why ASUU keeps striking all the time and over again is because of these student. They have never been in support of ASUU and whereas ASUU is fighting for every one.

If a senator can get a sitting benefit allowance they should also give to these lecturers as well.
Beats my imagination why they call themselves students. I'm sure 90% of them don't know the detailed raucous of the rift between ASUU and FG. The only thing they know is ASUU is fighting for salary increase. . . beats my imagination how they interact with their environment when they can't understand the detailed position of ASUU. Resume resume resume is all they are shouting but they know nothing about the educational setting they are in. Tomorrow if they ask you to come and pay 200K as tuition fee you'll be bleating like a goat.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by delejames(m): 5:42pm On Sep 09, 2009
@Theseeker

What's your point really? ASUU should know that strike,strike and strikes does not solve any problem.The strike has been so overused that it is not yielding any result.ASUU should find another means to talk to the government so that the student for which they claim they fighting for dont feel disturbed.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by aladaz: 6:16pm On Sep 09, 2009
but i think there is far more to the whole issue than you and i know, FG say ASUU should 'suspend' not call off the strike for negotiation to continue, if the demands were not met by then , they should then go back on the strike, SIMPLE, but there is more to it than even the press know, i sha know say one day it will be over!
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by iammodel(m): 6:23pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ the poster, GREAT FALLACY. E NO GO WORK. but i wonder when the FG will go back to the negotiation table with ASUU, cos i don't see ASUU calling off the strike without their demand being met., and besides they are fighting a just fight. i don't thik there's any university in Nigeria that's as good as university of ghana. what is the government doing to improve the condition of our universities.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 09, 2009
Uhm.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by donciccio: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2009
@Seeker, 9ce msg from ya. I concur with u. For our undergradu8 students i feel 4 y'all tho i'm not exempted cos i'm also a student of Pg.
Lets pray God help us out,
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by dbaptist1(m): 10:07pm On Sep 09, 2009
NIGERIA where are we heading to?
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by BlackRevo: 4:37am On Sep 10, 2009
delejames:

@Theseeker

What's your point really? ASUU should know that strike,strike and strikes does not solve any problem.The strike has been so overused that it is not yielding any result.ASUU should find another means to talk to the government so that the student for which they claim they fighting for dont feel disturbed.

My brother that's one of the issue we should all seriously look into, why these strikes fail and fail all over again. The strikes where meant to achieve an objective which it has not due to some obstacles. what are those obstacles? That's is simply one of the things the seeker has been trying to explain. It is not that we are happy about the strike and the negative effect it has on our education system. What is worth doing is worth doing well.

For the sake of setting things clearly these are the demands of ASUU presently for these strike

Mr. President, you are aware, that on December 2006,the Federal Minister of Education inaugurated an FGN/ASUU Renegotiation Committee to review comprehensively the 2001 Agreement on (i)Funding of Universities (ii) Conditions of Service, (iii) University Autonomy and Academic Freedom and (iv) Other matters.
Do you remember

You can read all about the position and demand ASUU are making from the links below

http://www.asuunigeria.org/index.php/component/content/article/35-news/119-an-open-letter-to-president-umaru-yaradua

http://www.asuunigeria.org/index.php/component/content/article/46-press-releases/113-ASUU-nec-declares-a-total-and-indefinite-strike

http://www.asuunigeria.org/index.php/component/content/article/37-press-release/121-the-current-situation-of-federal-government-universities

http://www.asuunigeria.org/index.php/component/content/article/46-press-releases/120-fg-must-take-the-blame-for-varsity-shutdown-ASUU-president

Just take your time and go through all these things. this issue has been dragging since 2001.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by BlackRevo: 4:42am On Sep 10, 2009
TheSeeker:

Beats my imagination why they call themselves students. I'm sure 90% of them don't know the detailed raucous of the rift between ASUU and FG. The only thing they know is ASUU is fighting for salary increase. . . beats my imagination how they interact with their environment when they can't understand the detailed position of ASUU. Resume resume resume is all they are shouting but they know nothing about the educational setting they are in. Tomorrow if they ask you to come and pay 200K as tuition fee you'll be bleating like a goat.

Most people are less informed and like a typical Nigerian situation we tend to follow the crowd. I wish these people know that the education system is so bad that we will just be resuming to the same situation only to meet it worst tomorrow. Everybody just wants to get a degree, since that's all is needed to work either in your field or not. People reading food nutrition and working in the bank.

Remember Our Late hero Gani said that the whole university should be closed for three to five years so that we can set things straight and start all over again.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by Nonnyl(m): 6:47am On Sep 10, 2009
If the strike will take ASUU till next june, no qualms provided their demands were met. Afterall Ghana went for strike 4 almost 2yrs b/4 they were able to reach the standard of education in their county.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by dvoice: 8:19am On Sep 10, 2009
Its a pity that we all are guilty of allowing things get out of hand. The truth is that nothing is happening in our so called universities. All we do is hand out degrees to stark illiterates. I think its time to take a deep look at our education system and carry out a long overdue surgery. It also tells a lot about our political system that a government can decide to slam the door on any form of discussion with a union in the education sector. It tell a lot about our value system that we can condone such from our government. I WEEP FOR OUR CONSCIENCE.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by zmurda(m): 9:22am On Sep 10, 2009
Source please?
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by Heledy(m): 9:54am On Sep 10, 2009
guy don't u wnt 2 go bck 2 schl. na wa 4 u oh
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by TheSeeker(m): 10:10am On Sep 10, 2009
delejames:

@Theseeker

You still don't see my point? OK. I'll try and sedate my disappointment in you as a student. If you can't understand where I'm coming from, then what proof do you have that you understand what the strike is all about? I'll take you a little back into time as much as I can remember, but before that, I want you to find out for yourself what percentage of the budget Abacha allocated for university education, compare that to what OBJ gave and bring it down to Yaradua's administration. The same problem that's being fought right now has been existing for a long time now. Do you know exactly what brought about the firing of those UNILORIN lecturers? Do you know why they went on strike then? The same problem they're fighting now is what's been going on since 2001 if I remember correctly.

Eight years and the issues haven't been tackled and corresponding solutions proposed. And you want them to continue the streak until when? Eternity? You Nigerian students, I can't say you're selfish because you lack total understanding of what the struggle is and have been all about, and it's a disappointment on your part that you don't understand what conditions, rigors and protocols are attached to your learning circus.

One thing I want you to know is, teachers -- ASUU in this context -- no matter how selfish they might appear to act, sound or look, are saddled with the sole responsibility of revamping the educational system with of course, the help of the government. What's the government doing to incentivize these teachers? Nothing! How many of them have official cars? How many of them have good infrastructures at the staff quarters? How many good lecture theaters do you have in your schools? How good is the social setting of your school? Do you know your stupid government charges Coca Cola and some other companies just to introduce fun into your universities? The government that can't do anything for you, your school and your management is making money off you, and you sit there and open your mouth just because you can in absolute ignorance.

OAU, a school I was at; I know how it was when I got there, I know what it's supposed to be like. It's truly one of Africa's finest campus, the most beautiful in Nigeria, and yes, I am proud to say it. Even at its almost dilapidated state, it's still the finest. Despite that, OAU struggled so hard to keep the school as it was when I left it, and some of them were ETF supported. I know a lot of other schools with lack of adequate infrastructures. This is one of the issues ASUU is fighting for.

These lecturers you ought to know are not only brilliant but extremely intelligence. They can read situations. They can examine and tell you where something is going to end up at. Professor isn't just a title, it's earned. If you've had the opportunity of talking with professors, you'll know they can discern and disarm the most powerful man in the world just by sitting down, analyze and talk. The government thinks no group should challenge their aristocratic authority and that's what ASUU is doing. If ASUU let the government have its way, the shameless government will end up increasing your tuition fee and I bet 80% of Nigerians will drop out of school because it'll not be affordable.

Who do you blame when it comes to that, ASUU? FG? Be reasonable to yourself and don't let your lack of understanding of the educational setting and politicking shade your latent intelligence. FG is trying to commercialize university education and ASUU is trying to stop them and it's now a crime because ASUU is asking for wage increase? If they're asking for wage increase, heck, they deserve it. Who the hell is a state governor to be paid such amount of money every year when all they do is tour around the globe and in transit with the hard earned fortune of good Nigerians?

I heard someone saying what do they do with all the Post UME and other miscellaneous fees. How much do you think they make from these? How many staff members do you have in your university? How many good and in-order school and departmental buses do you have in your school?
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by TheSeeker(m): 10:26am On Sep 10, 2009
rebelious:

FG is not being bias because as you can see they are not looking for your support. FG is simply killing the educational system in Nigeria and they have nothing to lose if they do so. ASUU, on the other hand, you should note, have their kids in Nigerian universities too, so how can they not put the future of their own kids in prospects too? You see why I said you're not getting the point? I'll press on. Who says school fees can never be increased? OBJ increased it when he came in, Yaradua is preparing to do worse - again, you've failed.

People don't look at Nigerian students as lazy and unintelligent except you are one yourself. There are lots of brilliant Nigerian students and simply because you are on strike doesn't make you lazy or unintelligent. If you know what's best for you, engage yourself in some rather educational activities to keep your brain stimulated and busy. It'll make you worry less. If they call you half baked, it means you are or the person is just hating on your achievement, but I've never heard anyone call Nigerian graduates half baked considering the rottenness of the educational system in the country - the only area I've seen people complain about Nigerian students is their proper use of English language which doesn't matter in this case because I think that's an individual capacity and responsibility.

You best pray that FG listens to ASUU or you'll end up crying more, and this time, it'll come with deep gnashing of teeth.
aladaz:

but i think there is far more to the whole issue than you and i know, FG say ASUU should 'suspend' not call off the strike for negotiation to continue, if the demands were not met by then , they should then go back on the strike, SIMPLE, but there is more to it than even the press know, i sha know say one day it will be over!
FG says ASUU should 'suspend', great! And why does the government tell them to suspend instead of meeting their demands once and for all and call of the strike? They're think the lecturers are gullible as themselves and I trust my able professors won't back down. STRIKE CONTINUES UNTIL FG MEETS UP WITH THEIR DEMANDS!
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by delejames(m): 11:04am On Sep 10, 2009
TheSeeker:

You best pray that FG listens to ASUU or you'll end up crying more, and this time, it'll come with deep gnashing of teeth.FG says ASUU should 'suspend', great! And why does the government tell them to suspend instead of meeting their demands once and for all and call of the strike? They're think the lecturers are gullible as themselves and [b]I trust my able professors [/b]won't back down. STRIKE CONTINUES UNTIL FG MEETS UP WITH THEIR DEMANDS!

Your able professors indeed.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by Brownmang1: 11:28am On Sep 10, 2009
Hey if they like let them stay till 2011 i don't care. Am now working.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by opad(m): 12:40pm On Sep 10, 2009
@Theseeker, its pretty obvious u're one of those ASUU guys agitating for 100% salary increase, or you are a 64year old crunchy professor clamouring for retirement age extension 4rm 65-70. Or maybe ure a father who has his wards in Private universities, cos u dont seem to understand the plight we the students are facing, the Strike option has been overused, the NLC president even confessed to that fact, Must they always go on Strike to before the FG meets their demands? So far Ive experienced 10months (6months makes a session) compulsory holiday due to Strike. Strike has delipitating factor on our growth, psychologically,academically, everywise. Misplaced Priorities is the problem of Nigeria. If i had knwn it was going to last this long i wouldnt have come home with just my school bag. I have to a Job now, atleast to make a gain outta the strike. I nEeD a JoB o. cry
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by TheSeeker(m): 12:57pm On Sep 10, 2009
opad:

@Theseeker, its pretty obvious u're one of those ASUU guys agitating for 100% salary increase, or you are a 64year old crunchy professor clamouring for retirement age extension 4rm 65-70. Or maybe ure a father who has his wards in Private universities, cos u dont seem to understand the plight we the students are facing, the Strike option has been overused, the NLC president even confessed to that fact, Must they always go on Strike to before the FG meets their demands? So far Ive experienced 10months (6months makes a session) compulsory holiday due to Strike. Strike has delipitating factor on our growth, psychologically,academically, everywise. Misplaced Priorities is the problem of Nigeria. If i had knwn it was going to last this long i wouldnt have come home with just my school bag. I have to a Job now, atleast to make a gain outta the strike. I nEeD a JoB o. cry
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm as young as you can be, maybe even younger than you but I'm seeing things critically. Look at the points I made and tell me which one isn't true. . . . when you make an argument try to be constructive about it and counter mine with points. Who says I don't seem to understand the plight of students? What are your plights? Blame your FG, not ASUU. Who's the NLC president? You don't come and speak of what you know nothing about. Do you know what goes on behind the scenes when Oshiomole back then was agitating for NLC? Do you know how they bribe the heads? What was Peter Okebukola's role at NUC when he was there (I don't know if he's still there)? These sets of ASUU leaders have refused to take bribes and sweep the issues under the carpet and the Nigerian government can't deal with that. Finally, someone has come along to challenge their authorities.

So far, no Nigerian student has come on this forum on an impressive note. It's so sad that I look at all of you and you're still ignorant. It irks me beyond bounds why you all go to school and call yourselves students and you can't critically analyze a situation. It's a shame on you all.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by Purist(m): 1:37pm On Sep 10, 2009
opad:

cos u dont seem to understand the plight we the students are facing, . . . So far Ive experienced 10months (6months makes a session) compulsory holiday due to Strike. Strike has delipitating factor on our growth, psychologically,academically, everywise.

TheSeeker is right.  This appears to be the problem.  No Nigerian student wants to bear the sacrifice; everyone just wants to get in fast, and get out the same way, get a degree, work in some bank and earn N150k per month.  It appears everyone is after his/her personal comfort.  And believe you me, if ASUU yields to the students' demands and things continue this way, ASUU strike will continue to be a recurrent event in Nigerian Universities for years to come.  So why not solve everything ONCE AND FOR ALL, even if it'll take a year or more, so that future generations will never have to suffer this same fate when they also get into the system?  But what do we have?  No one wants to reason with ASUU.  And by the way, ASUU is not being greedy, they deserve the salary increase, amongst other agitations.

Tell me, what the hell are you even learning in the university?  How many good lecture theatres do you have in your school?  If you are a science student, how many modern microscopes do you have in your labs?  How many functioning equipments do you have to work with?  Do you really gain anything meaningful at all, apart from just reading your brains out to score good grades?  How good are your hostels presently?  These and many more are what ASUU is fighting for on your behalf.  It seems to me that you lot are only making noise because the house is getting boring and you want to re-unite with your friends at school. . . you are missing the campus grooves.  Think deeply, the real blame is on the FG.  No one is happy about the strike, but if at the end it works, it would be a worthwhile venture on the part of ASUU, and a meritorious endurance on the students' part.

opad:

the Strike option has been overused, the NLC president even confessed to that fact, Must they always go on Strike to before the FG meets their demands?

You know what?  You're right.  But then, I've reasoned and thought deeply about this too, but guess what?  I couldn't think of any other way they can employ to tackle this present impasse.  Do you have any suggestions for ASUU?
By the way, read the NLC's position on the ASUU strike HERE.

And just for the records, I'm a student too . .  of OAU to be precise.  Greatest Ife!!! wink
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by kingsolve(m): 1:46pm On Sep 10, 2009
Students seem to fight for what they don't know. If your dad was a lecturer and he's not being paid would you tell him to go ahead to work? How will you eat. At the same time i am not encouraging the strike. But I choose to always see the bright side of every situation i get into and it pays off. I will be realeasing a solution I discovered tommorrow. watch out for my post on ASUU strike.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by oge4real(f): 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2009
According to Oga Seun, "no source, no story". Q.E.D
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by TheSeeker(m): 6:44pm On Sep 10, 2009
Purist:

TheSeeker is right. This appears to be the problem. No Nigerian student wants to bear the sacrifice; everyone just wants to get in fast, and get out the same way, get a degree, work in some bank and earn N150k per month. It appears everyone is after his/her personal comfort. And believe you me, if ASUU yields to the students' demands and things continue this way, ASUU strike will continue to be a recurrent event in Nigerian Universities for years to come. So why not solve everything ONCE AND FOR ALL, even if it'll take a year or more, so that future generations will never have to suffer this same fate when they also get into the system? But what do we have? No one wants to reason with ASUU. And by the way, ASUU is not being greedy, they deserve the salary increase, amongst other agitations.

Tell me, what the hell are you even learning in the university? How many good lecture theatres do you have in your school? If you are a science student, how many modern microscopes do you have in your labs? How many functioning equipments do you have to work with? Do you really gain anything meaningful at all, apart from just reading your brains out to score good grades? How good are your hostels presently? These and many more are what ASUU is fighting for on your behalf. It seems to me that you lot are only making noise because the house is getting boring and you want to re-unite with your friends at school. . . you are missing the campus grooves. Think deeply, the real blame is on the FG. No one is happy about the strike, but if at the end it works, it would be a worthwhile venture on the part of ASUU, and a meritorious endurance on the students' part.

You know what? You're right. But then, I've reasoned and thought deeply about this too, but guess what? I couldn't think of any other way they can employ to tackle this present impasse. Do you have any suggestions for ASUU?

And just for the records, I'm a student too . . of OAU to be precise. Greatest Ife!!! wink
Yes, I trust my Greatest Ife students to be ever informed and ever articulate. Don't mind these buffoons!! They don't know anything at all. All they do is go to school, read, toast girls, go to boyfriends' houses, hop in and out of clubs, and they fail to get in the know of what's going on about their educational environment. I'm sure not a lot of them know what the "University Autonomy Bill" is all about yet, they profess to be students. I don't see them as being selfish and of course it'd have been the case if they knew any damned thing about their educations, but they are just plain ignorant and they have chosen to be that way, that's the saddest part.

How many of them read papers? None! Because if they do, they'll understand what this is about. How many of them have asked their lecturers what the struggle is about? None! Every year to keep crying for accommodation and ASUU is working on those for you and the appreciation you all can give is tell them to resume and call them names? Ignorance is a predicament and sorry no one can get rid of it but you. Start being well versed with your setting.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by kunlenki(m): 6:50pm On Sep 10, 2009
Let me quikly express my dissatisfaction over the attitude of our youths most especially the supposed educated once with the manner in which they disseminate fictitious info about matters of importance. how can you with all your level of education and supposed exposure come to this site to feed us with blatand, false info. please friend stop this and if you must,furnish us with true info. Thanks
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by delejames(m): 7:20pm On Sep 10, 2009
@Mr i know it all (Theseeker)

Even if the agreement is signed,those lazy lecturers will still be there,and those your able professors who can't even lecture for 20mins.

we will see what happens after the agreement is signed.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by TheSeeker(m): 7:30pm On Sep 10, 2009
delejames:

@Mr i know it all (Theseeker)

Even if the agreement is signed,those lazy lecturers will still be there,and those your able professors who can't even lecture for 20mins.

we will see what happens after the agreement is signed.
If being curious and knowing more about everything is 'know-it-all' in your books, then I clearly accept that position. Because professors in your school don't lecture for more than 20 minutes, therefore, it's the same in every school? Listen to yourself.

I was at OAU for 3 years and all the time I was there for until now, you have to seriously read as a student and no, the professors there aren't lazy. Maybe they are in your school. If they are, has any of you tried contacting the Senate? Have you tried contacting ASUU in your zone? Have you bother to go through your SUG to protest it in writing to NUC? These are what we did in OAU and I'm proud I was part of that process even though I didn't finish there. Being a student has a lot more to do with it than just reading and sitting exams. You have to be mentally alert, innovative, intelligent and smart too.
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by delejames(m): 7:39pm On Sep 10, 2009
Purist:

TheSeeker is right.  This appears to be the problem.  No Nigerian student wants to bear the sacrifice; everyone just wants to get in fast, and get out the same way, get a degree, work in some bank and earn N150k per month.  It appears everyone is after his/her personal comfort.  And believe you me, if ASUU yields to the students' demands and things continue this way, ASUU strike will continue to be a recurrent event in Nigerian Universities for years to come.  So why not solve everything ONCE AND FOR ALL, even if it'll take a year or more, so that future generations will never have to suffer this same fate when they also get into the system?  But what do we have?  No one wants to reason with ASUU.  And by the way, ASUU is not being greedy, they deserve the salary increase, amongst other agitations.

Tell me, what the hell are you even learning in the university?  How many good lecture theatres do you have in your school?  If you are a science student, how many modern microscopes do you have in your labs?  How many functioning equipments do you have to work with?  Do you really gain anything meaningful at all, apart from just reading your brains out to score good grades?  How good are your hostels presently?  These and many more are what ASUU is fighting for on your behalf.  It seems to me that you lot are only making noise because the house is getting boring and you want to re-unite with your friends at school. . . you are missing the campus grooves.  Think deeply, the real blame is on the FG.  No one is happy about the strike, but if at the end it works, it would be a worthwhile venture on the part of ASUU, and a meritorious endurance on the students' part.

You know what?  You're right.  But then, I've reasoned and thought deeply about this too, but guess what?  I couldn't think of any other way they can employ to tackle this present impasse.  Do you have any suggestions for ASUU?

And just for the records, I'm a student too . .  of OAU to be precise.  Greatest Ife!!! wink

That isn't a good question,you should have asked how many good lecturers do they have in their schools?
Re: Universities Shut Till January 2010 by delejames(m): 7:50pm On Sep 10, 2009
@Mr i know it all

Thank you for accepting that position.

Let just wait and see wat happens after the agreement is signed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

HOW TO CALCULATE UNILAG POST UTME CUT OFF MARK POINTS - 09082964145 / See What Schools In The USA Are Doing To Prevent Mass Shootings / Which Direction Is The Bus Going - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.