Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group (15450 Views)

Show Justice Okon Abang Way Out, Fayose Urges NJC - Vanguard / NJC Dismisses Four Petitions Against Justice Okon Abang / Profile Of Justice Okon Abang Of Abuja High Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by Beremx(f): 10:34am On Jul 01, 2016
VivianUdeogu:
We Igbos support the Chairmanship Position of Senator Ali Modu Sheriff
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by anonimi: 10:36am On Jul 01, 2016
Is this not the same judge who asked INEC to "immediately" recognise Ogah as the Abia state governor.
Despite Ogah having a FORGERY case against him in court.
I won't be surprised if Justice Okon Abang is a card-carrying member of APC.

More from: http://elombah.com/index.php/special-reports/8297-revealed-new-abia-governor-uche-ogah-is-standing-trial-for-forgery

1 Like

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:37am On Jul 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Who issued the Stay of execution....I mean which judge?My Friend, notice of appeal does not amount to Stay of execution, this had been decided by the Supreme Court in several cases...
Why did Ameachi vs Omehia case go to SC before Omehia left Office?(PDP vs PDP)

Why did Obi had to go to SC to get his mandate back even when the High Court and Appeal ordered his reinstatement (Apga vs APGA)?

why did Wike, Ishaku and Udom not vacate their offices despite the tribunal and Appeal courts rulings?

pls stop abusing judicial process
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by AtlanticBreeze: 10:39am On Jul 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

I feel your pains...but we cant help PDP at this time..Abia State already in the bag....and we are coming for Ondo State... grin grin
ok ms ngene... you had better warned APC to stay clear from the SE.. The fake governor in Abia has lost every sympathy ever since the news of his romance with APC filtered in..
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by kahal29: 10:40am On Jul 01, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The issue of Abia state is no issue at all. Justice Okon gave his order but Governor Ikpeazu has 21 days to Appeal. Supreme Court had ruled that once an Appeal and stay of execution is lodged, status quo be maintained pending the outcome of the suit. The Governor still has the privilege of both the Appellate and Apex courts.

The issue of Edo is very important my brother

Baca my brother, the Gov does not have any 21 days to appeal. I think you are confusing two things here - the 21 days notice of Appeal applies in a post election matter ie for election tribunals but the case in question is a pre-election matter filed in a regular court where notice of Appeal is different from stay of proceedings or execution. Those quoting section 143 of the Electoral act forget that it applies to election tribunals.

2 Likes

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by VivianUdeogu(f): 10:43am On Jul 01, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

ok ms ngene... you had better warned APC to stay clear from the SE.. The fake governor in Abia has lost every sympathy ever since the news of his romance with APC filtered in..
APC is alredy dead and buried in the SE because we Igbos will continue to vote for PDP and also continue to support the Chairmanship Position of Senator Ali Modu sheriff.

3 Likes

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by AtlanticBreeze: 10:47am On Jul 01, 2016
VivianUdeogu:
APC is alredy dead and buried in the SE because we Igbos will continue to vote for PDP and also continue to support the Chairmanship Position of Senator Ali Modu sheriff.
We yorubas will continue to serve and support tinubu.. even if he asks to vote a mad man in the next elections we will still support him
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by VivianUdeogu(f): 10:50am On Jul 01, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

We yorubas will continue to serve and support tinubu.. even if he asks to vote a mad man in the next elections we will still support him
Dont mind tifnubu and all those yoloba people.
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by AtlanticBreeze: 10:51am On Jul 01, 2016
kahal29:

Baca my brother, the Gov does not have any 21 days to appeal. I think you are confusing two things here - the 21 days notice of Appeal applies in a post election matter ie for election tribunals but the case in question is a pre-election matter filed in a regular court where notice of Appeal is different from stay of proceedings or execution. Those quoting section 143 of the Electoral act forget that it applies to election tribunals.
The federal high court is a lower court, once a case is appealed, the status quo remains until determination of the case and then to the supreme court, that how its meant to be.. common sense!
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:59am On Jul 01, 2016
anonimi:
Is this not the same judge who asked INEC to "immediately" recognise Ogah as the Abia state governor.
Despite Ogah having a FORGERY case against him in court.
I won't be surprised if Justice Okon Abang is a card-carrying member of APC.

More from: http://elombah.com/index.php/special-reports/8297-revealed-new-abia-governor-uche-ogah-is-standing-trial-for-forgery

1 Like

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by kahal29: 11:04am On Jul 01, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

The federal high court is a lower court, once a case is appealed, the status quo remains until determination of the case and then to the supreme court, that how its meant to be.. common sense!

Thank God common sense is not common after all. Filing of Appeal or notice of Appeal is not the same as Stay of proceedings or execution they are two different things. Pls be properly informed.

See what a Nairalander diegwu01 has to say and I agree completely with him on the legal issues he raised.

Ikpeazu is a goner, from simple facts of the judgement, He know this, but needs a few days to weigh his options.

Facts have proven the Appeal he filed in Osisioma-ngwa does not grant him a stay of Execution, this is a pre-election case and not necessary a post election tribunal that gives him a 21 day room for appeal and stay of execution. He can only appeal from outside office.

Ugochukwu Ogah was well prepared for this.
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by temitemi1(m): 11:05am On Jul 01, 2016
Sheriff is here to destroy our party but god will disgrace him.
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:09am On Jul 01, 2016
kahal29:

Answer
TonyeBarcanista:

Why did Obi had to go to SC to get his mandate back even when the High Court and Appeal ordered his reinstatement (Apga vs APGA)?
why did Wike, Ishaku and Udom not vacate their offices despite the tribunal and Appeal courts rulings?
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by erunz(m): 11:11am On Jul 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

I feel your pains...but we cant help PDP at this time..Abia State already in the bag....and we are coming for Ondo State... grin grin
Mimiko is loved by all in ondo state and I trust him to deliver his state to PDP. We should always tell ourselves the truth, it's shouldn't have to be politics all the time, Ikpeazu still have time to appeal the court judgement which he has already done, instead of inec to wait till the appeal is heard, they went ahead to issue certificate of return to Ogah. with all this, my fear is that this inec can never conduct a free and fair election in Nigeria.
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by tempest01(m): 11:13am On Jul 01, 2016
I thought there was something like a judiciary council in nigeria....this Okon Abang guy needs to be stopped sooner.
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:15am On Jul 01, 2016
kahal29:

Thank God common sense is not common after all. Filing of Appeal or notice of Appeal is not the same as Stay of proceedings or execution they are two different things. Pls be properly informed.

See what a Nairalander diegwu01 has to say and I agree completely with him on the legal issues he raised.

Ikpeazu is a goner, from simple facts of the judgement, He know this, but needs a few days to weigh his options.

Facts have proven the Appeal he filed in Osisioma-ngwa does not grant him a stay of Execution, this is a pre-election case and not necessary a post election tribunal that gives him a 21 day room for appeal and stay of execution. He can only appeal from outside office.

Any law, ruling or precedent to back this up?
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:17am On Jul 01, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Amaechi lost at the High Court and Appeal Court. HE ONLY WON at the Supreme Court, hence no order to enforce...

That PDP led government decided to flout direct orders from both courts shouldnt be encouraged going foward...High Courts and Appeal are not just there to make up number but to issue enforcable orders....

Why did Wike, Udom and co not vacant their seats when they were sacked by the lower courts?

You are mixing up election Tribunals (which handl post election matters) with normal Federal high courts which handle pre election matters. According to the 1999 constitution (as ammended) it specifically stated that until all the cases in the ELECTION tribunals are determined by highest court which is the supreme court (,in the case Governorship and Presidential elections) the status quo should be maintained....that is Explicitly on the Election Matters...But what we have at hand is a pre election matters handled by a Federal High Court...

Barcanista, I ask again, are you a lawyer?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by Babacele: 11:17am On Jul 01, 2016
modath:

Tonye, stop bringing all these matter to NL, you keep preaching to the choir, no one can help you guys here. angry

When Ali Modu Shekau Sheriff siddon hin own jejely, instead of doing fundraiser and taxing members to revive the fortunes of the party since the yam barn has been closed off.. No they formed being clever by half..

PDP spurred on by Loudmouth Fayose, Forger Ekweremadu & Cult Godfather Wike thought they've seen free thing to bleep, Now the herpes, clamydia + HIV are now ravaging them almost into oblivion, they are now crying wolf....

APC kept someone away but greed and lack of foresight let them into this trouble...... & it's a refreshing development cos PDP deserves all these and more for the years of pain, anguish & genocide they wrought in this country..... They should experience small upheaval.

There is no free lunch in Freetown or even Libreville

Karma is a garden equipment & a female dog!!

P.S... #IStandWithSheriff cheesy
hahahaha free thing to bleep! hahaha PDP don bleep Ebola! chai!
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by STONEGEORGE15(m): 11:22am On Jul 01, 2016
osinbanjoisaliar:

According to you. Barrister Ubani on channelstv explained that an appeal is not a stay of execution, and so Ogai can still be sworn in.
See u. Ikpeazu will remain d Gov till he has exhausted his appeals
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by AtlanticBreeze: 11:44am On Jul 01, 2016
kahal29:
[s]

[/s]
It is not unusual for zombies to always twist logic on it's head.. That is to say when when a federal high court sentences someone to death, the judgement should be executed immediately while the person files an appeal to the judgement? That means Rev King should have been executed long ago while his appeal was ongoing? You people are just unbelievably mischievous.. All the legal options must be exhausted before the judgement can be executed..
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:47am On Jul 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Amaechi lost at the High Court and Appeal Court. HE ONLY WON at the Supreme Court, hence no order to enforce...

That PDP led government decided to flout direct orders from both courts shouldnt be encouraged going foward...High Courts and Appeal are not just there to make up number but to issue enforcable orders....

You are mixing up election Tribunals (which handl post election matters) with normal Federal high courts which handle pre election matters. According to the 1999 constitution (as ammended) it specifically stated that until all the cases in the ELECTION tribunals are determined by highest court which is the supreme court (,in the case Governorship and Presidential elections) the status quo should be maintained....that is Explicitly on the Election Matters...But what we have at hand is a pre election matters handled by a Federal High Court...

Barcanista, I ask again, are you a lawyer?

You keep talking in abstract my dear friend.

Which law directs enforcement of ruling even. when an appeal and stay for execution is lodged? Which precedent?

Obi, Ladoja were NOT reinstated simply because of the appeal lodged by the occupants of the office as then was.

the purpose of the stay of execution is simply to avoid a situation where candidates will be taking turns in office within short period due to conflicting judgement.. hence, the final verdict is always executed
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:51am On Jul 01, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

It is not unusual for zombies to always twist logic in it's head.. That is to say when when a federal high court sentences someone to death, the judgement should be executed immediately while the person files an appeal to judgement? That means Rev King should have been executed long ago while his appeal was ongoing? You people are just unbelievably mischievous.. All the legal options by be exhausted before the judgement can be executed..
They will kill the man and bring him back when a higher court upturn the judgement

1 Like

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by AtlanticBreeze: 12:01pm On Jul 01, 2016
Will the pretty economist turned lawyer ms ngeneukwenu apologize now and also kahal29? BTW this is enough reason to sack the INEC boss.. Senseless

https://www.nairaland.com/3199665/inec-backtracks-says-ikpeazus-appeal
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by Claroo(m): 12:22pm On Jul 01, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

You keep talking in abstract my dear friend.

Which law directs enforcement of ruling even. when an appeal and stay for execution is lodged? Which precedent?

Obi, Ladoja were NOT reinstated simply because of the appeal lodged by the occupants of the office as then was.

the purpose of the stay of execution is simply to avoid a situation where candidates will be taking turns in office within short period due to conflicting judgement.. hence, the final verdict is always executed
Lemme clarify the above, the mere fact that an appeal or stay of execution is lodged does not implies that the ruling/judgment shall not be immediately enforceable. It is an application that will moved by the Applicant while the respondent has the right to Oppose the application for stay of execution. It is when the application is granted by the judge that the applicant wl enjoy the stay of execution.

However in criminal matters where the crime is a Capital Offence. A notice of appeal is automatically a bar to the enforcement of such Death Sentence irrespective of the fact that the Appeal has not been heard.

1 Like

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by diegwu01: 12:30pm On Jul 01, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

It is not unusual for zombies to always twist logic on it's head.. That is to say when when a federal high court sentences someone to death, the judgement should be executed immediately while the person files an appeal to the judgement? That means Rev King should have been executed long ago while his appeal was ongoing? You people are just unbelievably mischievous.. All the legal options must be exhausted before the judgement can be executed..
Olodo!, criminal law and the electoral act are 2 different things, why dont research and find out what the law says, i know with your low capacity it would be difficult for me to educate you at this time knowing that a lot of you just refuse to seek knowledge.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by Babacele: 12:33pm On Jul 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

You are not a judge Barcanista..Who are you to issue a rejoinder in a decided case? Smh..
how can you appeal a case u weren't a party in the 1st place? Ikpeazu is gone n Ogah should be sworn in immediately unless he ,Ikpeazu, was a party in this pre-election case.
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by kahal29: 12:46pm On Jul 01, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:
Will the pretty economist turned lawyer ms ngeneukwenu apologize now and also kahal29? BTW this is enough reason to sack the INEC boss.. Senseless

https://www.nairaland.com/3199665/inec-backtracks-says-ikpeazus-appeal

Am also an economist. Now to the issues you raised - INEC never said they didn't see the notice of Appeal but they said it was served in the wrong office. Secondly, when the notice finally got to the right office and after a careful perusal of the said notice it was discovered that it did not carry an order of stay of execution or proceedings.

Notice of appeal does not negate the decision of the court unless an order is explicitly gotten to that effect.
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by AtlanticBreeze: 12:58pm On Jul 01, 2016
diegwu01:
Olodo!, criminal law and the electoral act are 2 different things, why dont research and find out what the law says, i know with your low capacity it would be difficult for me to educate you at this time knowing that a lot of you just refuse to seek knowledge.
Look at this dumbass calling someone olodo.. you think abusinf here and there will make ogah governor? Is forgery not a criminal act? Can you cite the precedence for the rubbish law you are trying to bring up? Ogah will never be governor until this matter is exhausted, it's as simple as ABCD.. You can keep fooling yourself with you beer parlor law
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by dustmalik: 1:00pm On Jul 01, 2016
Claroo:

Lemme clarify the above, the mere fact that an appeal or stay of execution is lodged does not implies that the ruling/judgment shall not be immediately enforceable. It is an application that will moved by the Applicant while the respondent has the right to Oppose the application for stay of execution. It is when the application is granted by the judge that the applicant wl enjoy the stay of execution.

However in criminal matters where the crime is a Capital Offence. A notice of appeal is automatically a bar to the enforcement of such Death Sentence irrespective of the fact that the Appeal has not been heard.
This man seems to know what he is talking about. Tonye, I suggest you listen to him.

1 Like

Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by 1wolex85: 1:19pm On Jul 01, 2016
erunz:
Mimiko is loved by all in ondo state and I trust him to deliver his state to PDP. We should always tell ourselves the truth, it's shouldn't have to be politics all the time, Ikpeazu still have time to appeal the court judgement which he has already done, instead of inec to wait till the appeal is heard, they went ahead to issue certificate of return to Ogah. with all this, my fear is that this inec can never conduct a free and fair election in Nigeria.

You know nothing about Ondo state! Why do people just like to talk about what they know nothing of? You are well aware that APC won the last presidential elections in Ondo by a slim margin and lost assembly seats by slim margins also, so where did you get the conclusion that Mimiko is loved by all in Ondo?
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by shyling(f): 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
[s][/s]

Trash....
Children of anger
Re: A Rejoinder On Justice Okon Abang Ruling That Recognizes Sheriff Group by DrOkoroafor(m): 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Just yesterday(30/06/2016), it was reported that a certain Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court(Abuja division) issued interlocutory injunction restraining INEC from recognising the PDP Edo State primary election conducted by the National Caretaker Committee led by Senator Ahmed Markafi that produced Pastor Ize Iyamu as duly elected candidate. In the same interim ruling, the so called judge also instructed INEC to recognise the arrangement that was organised by former party chairman Sen Ali Modu Sheriff and his friends.

AN ABSOLUTE IRRATIONAL RULING
In all sincerity, what kind of judgement is that? Which judge that knows his/her worth would give such a judgement when barely 24hours after another Judge Valentine Ashi of Abuja High Court had ruled that the 2014 PDP Constitution Amendment that Sheriff and his team were making claim of was illegal, null and void, and in violation of the Electoral Act? When did Justice Okon Abang of Federal High Court (Abuja) assume the power of a Superior court to Abuja High Court that it constitute himself into an Appeal body?
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/206099-court-sacks-modu-sheriff-pdp-chairman.html

Is Justice Abang not also aware that Justice A. M. Liman of the Federal High Court, Portharcourt has barred Sherriff from parading himself as Chairman of the party in May 24, 2016, and had fixed July 04, 2016 to rule on the suit brought to him by Sheriff to vacate the order? Is it not the ruling that prompted INEC to insist on recognising the legitimate mandate of Markafi led Caretaker Committee, and even went ahead to monitor the Edo Congress and primary by the party leadership?
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/court-bars-sheriff-as-pdp-chair-orders-recognition-of-markarfi-led-caretaker-committee/

It is unheard of in any democracy that an High Court Judge will arrogate an appeal privilege to himself to overrule the judgement of TWO courts of coordinate jurisdiction. Why do people flagrantly abuse the law? What is the rationality behind the order? Justice Okon should wait for his promotion to Appeal Court bench if he is so eager to be an appellate Judge on High Court Judges.

I trust INEC to confine the order into the next available trash can.

SHERIFF IS CHASING SHADOWS
It will be in the interest of democracy and the country for Senator Ali Modu Sheriff to wait for the July 4 verdict of the Federal High Court, Portharcourt, and to head to Court of Appeal to appeal the ruling of the Abuja High Court that barred him from parading himself as PDP National Chairman instead of chasing shadows by running to Justice Okon Abang that has NO POWER to overturn another High Court judgement in order to obtain a null and void judgement.

THE REAL PLOT OF ALI MODU SHERIFF
Like I did mention to a friend on Palmchat, I don't need a prophet to know that Ali Modu Sheriff is doing what he is doing in order to create anarchy within the camp of PDP Governorship candidate and the incoming Governor of Edo State, Pastor Ize Iyamu. One don't need a prophet to know that the plan of Sheriff is to see that INEC/Court disqualifies PDP from the election to provide an expressway to the would-be defeated APC unsellable candidate Godwin Obaseki and the outgoing Governor Adams Oshiomole(but it is dead on arrival)

Make no mistake, Sheriff is aware that the Electoral Act stipulates that party must inform INEC of their Primaries 21 days before the said date, and mandates INEC to monitor primary election of parties. It also mandates delegates to participate in the Primaries to elect flagbearers. Sheriff is very much aware that his camp did not meet ANY of the criteria spelt by the Electoral Act, and anything done by their group is as good as waste of time and resources. Hence, their scheme is to see that the law is manipulated to give their faction legitimacy, after which INEC will decline to field PDP candidate for not meeting criteria, and thereby allowing the APC a one way space. They will NEVER succeed.

...BUT TEAM IZE IYAMU AND EDO PEOPLE CAN'T BE BROKEN
However, it is my pleasure to inform Sheriff and his friends that apart from the fact that the great Edo people want NOBODY but Pastor Iyamu, the PDP led by Markafi enjoys every form of legitimacy, and the process that produced the pastor met every requirement of the Electoral Act. Hence, the plot to deny Edo people the opportunity to bring their leader to power in September is Dead on Arrival.

To God be the Glory, Edo people, Pastor Ize Iyamu, and PDP are in high spirit and shall never be broken. Edo shall make history to be the first state to Change the Change come September 2016. Power shall return to the people.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria
God Bless Edo State and Edo People
Conspiracy!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maina: Garba Shehu Needs Psychiatric Evaluation - PDP / Sanusi’s Claim That 800 Fulani Were Killed, A Lie – Taraba Govt, CAN / Nigerians May Wake One Day To Realize That They Have No Country - Atiku Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.