Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces (2422 Views)

"Youths Now Sniff Lizard Faeces” – Psychiatrist / Trending: Why Eating Your Faeces Is Hygienic- Olalekan Adebumiti / BANANA: Very Interesting Facts. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by fratermathy(m): 2:24pm On Jul 02, 2016
The Colour of Your Faeces and Your Health
I once saw a post concerning the colour of urine and its significance but then I realised that most of us don't worry when our faeces change colour and some of us don't even bother to look at our faeces before we flush. Abnormal faecal colour could be a sign of a health problem. I have decided to compile some of the popular faecal colours and their health implications so that those persons who notice them can seek for help proactively.

Human fecal matter varies significantly in appearance, depending on diet and health.

Brown
Human feces ordinarily has a light to dark brown coloration, which results from a combination of bile and bilirubin that is derived from dead red blood cells. Normally it is semisolid, with a mucus coating.

Yellow
Yellowing of feces can be caused by an infection known as Giardiasis, which derives its name from Giardia, an anaerobic flagellated protozoan parasite that can cause severe and communicable yellow diarrhea. Another cause of yellowing is a condition known as Gilbert's Syndrome. Yellow stool can also indicate that food is passing through the digestive tract relatively quickly. Yellow stool can be found in people with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Pale or gray
Stool that is pale or grey may be caused by insufficient bile output due to conditions such as cholecystitis, gallstones, giardia parasitic infection, hepatitis, chronic pancreatitis, or cirrhosis. Bile salts from the liver give stool its brownish color. If there is decreased bile output, stool is much lighter in color.

Black or red
Feces can be black due to the presence of red blood cells that have been in the intestines long enough to be broken down by digestive enzymes. This is known as melena, and is typically due to bleeding in the upper digestive tract, such as from a bleeding peptic ulcer. Conditions that can also cause blood in the stool include hemorrhoids, anal fissures, diverticulitis, colon cancer, and ulcerative colitis. The same color change can be observed after consuming foods that contain a substantial proportion of animal blood, such as black pudding or tiết canh. Black feces can also be caused by a number of medications, such as bismuth subsalicylate (the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol), and dietary iron supplements, or foods such as beetroot, black liquorice, or blueberries.
Hematochezia is similarly the passage of feces that are bright red due to the presence of undigested blood, either from lower in the digestive tract, or from a more active source in the upper digestive tract. Alcoholism can also provoke abnormalities in the path of blood throughout the body, including the passing of red-black stool. Hemorrhoids can also cause surface staining of red on stools, because as they leave the body the process can compress and burst hemorrhoids near the anus.

Blue
Prussian blue, or blue, a coloring used in the treatment of radiation, cesium, and thallium poisoning, can turn the feces blue. Substantial consumption of products containing blue food dye, such as blue curaçao or grape soda, can have the same effect.

Silver
A tarnished-silver or aluminum paint-like feces color characteristically results when biliary obstruction of any type (white stool) combines with gastrointestinal bleeding from any source (black stool). It can also suggest a carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater, which will result in gastrointestinal bleeding and biliary obstruction, resulting in silver stool.

Green
Feces can be green due to having large amounts of unprocessed bile in the digestive tract and strong-smelling diarrhea. This can occasionally be the result from eating liquorice candy, as it is typically made with anise oil rather than liquorice herb and is predominantly sugar. Excessive sugar consumption or a sensitivity to anise oil may cause loose, green stools.

Violet or purple
Violet or purple feces is a symptom of porphyria.

If you have noticed any other colour of faeces or if there is any colour omitted here, do well to add. Doctors and medics can contribute to this thread by expatiating on what has been said and possibly giving us the remedies to them.

5 Facts About Faeces
1. The study of faeces is known as Scatology which is derived from "scat", another name for faeces and yes, people do study this cheesy
2. It is actually possible to vomit faeces from your mouth! While this is possible, it is very rare and there has only been a handful of documented cases
3. Floating faeces is caused when your intestines produce excess gas which is inturn caused by dietary changes (such as suddenly becoming a vegetarian)
4. Stinky faeces is actually a sign of good health. It means your intestinal bacteria are working well
5. Somebody has actually released faeces as long as 26 FEET!!! shocked. Yea... Google it.

Bonus:
1. Some people poo as much as 3 times per day cool while others poo as low as once per week (especially girls undecided)
2. Cute hot girls, celebrities, world leaders (including Obama) and dictators including (Kim Jong Un) all POO like every other person grin cheesy cheesy grin! So don't think Lanicky, Mimzy, Gracito, Foolinlove, Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, Dominique, Tonyebarcanista, Jasysandra, Cutehector, fynestboi, tosyne2much, smellymouth, etc, do not poo! They may even do so more than you. For one, I think Lalasticlala poops 5 times a day. That is why he is usually unavailable around 6am, 11am, 1pm, 6pm and 11pm everyday! grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by fratermathy(m): 2:30pm On Jul 02, 2016
Philosophical Musings on War, Peace History

https://www.nairaland.com/3191334/philosophical-musings-war-peace-history

I guess it would make an interesting read to those who are either intellectually or mystically oriented.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by foolinlove(f): 2:45pm On Jul 02, 2016
Floating faeces can also be caused by high fat consumption.

You can pee blue as well, if you have Acute Intermittent Porphyria - see also: the madness of King George.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by klassykute(m): 2:47pm On Jul 02, 2016
.if u eat black soup how can ur faeces b brown? its like avin grapes in an orange tree..

.. 2. if u eat too much bread .. its always gonna b strong

3.. if u eat egusi soup ,rice etc it will b brown

4. red? ewo my guy if ur shiiiit red nia b say u dn drink too much holy communion ..

..5. blue .. guy na refnol or sminol cause am
..6. white na pami hand i see there ..

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by TRADELYN: 2:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
KIV... shocked
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2016
Op, you are crazy

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by Oche211(m): 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2016
So of those colours though. Blue, green, silver, violent nd purple. Haba!!!
Nd dat person who released 26 feet feaces, hope d large nd small intestines weren't counted too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by Chazzyboy: 3:16pm On Jul 02, 2016
Which is the perfect colour
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by fratermathy(m): 3:21pm On Jul 02, 2016
Chazzyboy:
Which is the perfect colour
Brown is considered normal by most.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by fratermathy(m): 3:39pm On Jul 02, 2016
klassykute:
.if u eat black soup how can ur faeces b brown? its like avin grapes in an orange tree..

.. 2. if u eat too much bread .. its always gonna b strong

3.. if u eat egusi soup ,rice etc it will b brown

4. red? ewo my guy if ur shiiiit red nia b say u dn drink too much holy communion ..

..5. blue .. guy na refnol or sminol cause am
..6. white na pami hand i see there ..

cheesy grin cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by fratermathy(m): 3:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
Lalasticlala: where are you naaa? It's past 1pm long ago o. grin
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by tunde1200(m): 4:19pm On Jul 02, 2016
op you must be a very funny fellow. grin grin

i think you are right with lastclacla grin

any way thanks for the eye opening.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by fratermathy(m): 11:44am On Jul 03, 2016
fratermathy:
Lalasticlala: where are you naaa? It's past 1pm long ago o. grin
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by meeky007(m): 7:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
HMM MY SHIT? i cant even look at it.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Your Faeces by fratermathy(m): 9:56am On Jul 04, 2016
meeky007:
HMM MY SHIT? i cant even look at it.

LOL. Better do! For your own health.

(1) (Reply)

Between Personal Hygiene And Environmental Sanitation / Why My Husband Really Travelled To Nigeria. Ebola Victim Patrick Sawyer's Wife / 40 plus for men (sperm count booster)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.