Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,171 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? (17365 Views)

Can A Born Again Christian Marry A Muslim Lady? / Should A Man Who Is A Born-Again Christian Be A Gynaecologist? / When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Jexyme(f): 6:41pm On Jul 03, 2016
No!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 03, 2016
I marvel at some pple ignorance n reasoning,sleeping in a garage does nt make U a car,going to church does nt make U a christian take more of born again,only pple dat do d teaching n commandment of Christ is qualified to Christlike (Christian) nt discourage gay n he emcourage it,so pls dont mix tins up.

To d Topic Christian can never mingle himself with d world to become any traditional stuff, d BIble says when JESUS perceived dat He ll b forced to bcome king He left dat place,we must b Christlike in everytin

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by estuary: 6:42pm On Jul 03, 2016
Zico5:
The bible says we should give unto Cesar what is due for Cesar and God what is due for him. Oonirisha is not an idol name, its like olubadan, owa obokun, there is nothing wrong if a christian becomes a king. It is to the glory of God. The first president of christ apostolic church (CAC) was ibadan king and he was regarded till today as one of the greatest man of God.

please what is the name of the Ibadan king?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by UuzbaGuuzba: 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2016
Rossikki:
Ignorant dunce. Who told you the Ooni sacrifices chickens and goats and blows fire from his mouth? Dummy. And you must be the ultimate retar.d to not know that EVERY single Christian ritual is of PAGAN origins. So take your high falutin, fake christian arrogance and stick it up your stinky asss.

The Jews were never happy with Jesus either. In fact, they just screened at him tore their clothes, and got Pilate to beat him up and crucify him.

Read church history. Make sure you select the right books.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by sixtus3606(m): 6:48pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
Who is a born again christian ??
An individual who worships his imaginary friend "Jesus" who was born 40,000 years ago and there's nothing to prove his birth, he was the only person in the history of humanity to be born by a virgin and a holy ghost ?? grin

When was Christianity brought to Africa ?? 300 years ago
What was people in Africa practicing ?? Traditional culture of course.

Who even discovered Christianity and named it Christianity, set a rule and scared you with imaginary heaven and hell ?? Last time i checked, the imaginary Jesus you guys worship is a Jew.

Religion is worst than drugs, it will ferment your brain
OK! So what do you have to say about Islam??
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by BermudaTriangle(m): 6:50pm On Jul 03, 2016
Yes, its possible. He only needs to renounce and abstain from all traditional rights in agreement with his subjects.
The immediate past monarch of Imeko Town, the Olumeko of Imeko in Ogun state was a member of Celestial Church of Christ before he became the ruler of his town. He refused to undergo all the usual traditional rites sticking to his born-again belief. After his enthronement, he banned all traditional rites and festivals in the town during Celestial ceremonies and pilgrimage in the town. Later, he was taken to court by the traditional people but won the case on the premise that since the people willingly accepted to crown him without going through their traditional rites, they were subject to his directives whilst he remained on the throne.

I learnt his successor is a pastor in Redeemed church but i know not what transpired before or during his coronation.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by ItsBolaji: 6:52pm On Jul 03, 2016
To answer the OP Christians can hold any position on earth, the bible even instructs us to 'subdue' the earth..... For example the former Akila Of Erin Ijesha was a Christian, member of the Christ Apostolic Church. (dead now) he stopped sacrifices to the river.... And if u want me to enlighten u about African (Yoruba) religion tell me I learnt a lot from Prof. 'Wande Abimbola....
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Zico5(m): 6:55pm On Jul 03, 2016
estuary:

please what is the name of the Ibadan king?
Pastor Akinyele
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by 4nobody4every1: 6:59pm On Jul 03, 2016
princey83:
you can't eat your cake and have it too. it's not possible. only if you know what is involved in becoming and ruling as a 1st class oba in yorubaland.

Just to give you an hint. In ife, when the king dies. Some body parts are seperated and buried all around the entrances of ife, the heart is removed and made as part of a concussion meal for the coming ooni to eat before he adcends the throne. The family of the last ooni didnt want to surrender his body as they are aware of this, but they eventually did to avoid repercussions on the family.

There is a price you pay for everything irredpective of whether you become born again or not. That is why if you get involved in blood money, and sleep in church from now till thy kingdom come, you would eventually pay.

Since christianity frowns at the above practice, then let us keep religion seperate from culture.
This is serious, eating the heart of a king, from what you wrote above it means the current Oni ate the heart of his predecessor, na wao shocked shocked

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Taiyescott(m): 7:03pm On Jul 03, 2016
no no no no no!!
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by kaystones(m): 7:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
An individual who worships his imaginary friend "Jesus" who was born 40,000 years ago and there's nothing to prove his birth, he was the only person in the history of humanity to be born by a virgin and a holy ghost ?? grin

Who even discovered Christianity and named it Christianity, set a rule and scared you with imaginary heaven and hell ?? Last time i checked, the imaginary Jesus you guys worship is a Jew.

Wow! I can see dt the absence of religion in ur life has caused ur head 2 produce alcohol. What a diversion from the reasonable question asked.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by ItsBolaji: 7:07pm On Jul 03, 2016
Zico5:

Pastor Akinyele
good bt please lemme add...Oba (Pastor) Isaac Babalola Akinyele ..1st President CAC Worldwide thank u
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by cosade(m): 7:08pm On Jul 03, 2016
ItsBolaji:
To answer the OP Christians can hold any position on earth, the bible even instructs us to 'subdue' the earth..... For example the former Akila Of Erin Ijesha was a Christian, member of the Christ Apostolic Church. (dead now) he stopped sacrifices to the river.... And if u want me to enlighten u about African (Yoruba) religion tell me I learnt a lot from Prof. 'Wande Abimbola....

Oba's Priestly duties

As a sacred ruler, the Oba is traditionally regarded by the Yoruba as the ex officio chief priest of all of the Orisha cults in his or her domain. Although most of the day-to-day functions of this position are delegated in practice to such figures as the Babalawos, certain traditional rites of the Yoruba religion can only be performed by the Oba, and it is for this reason that the holders of the title are often thought of as being religious leaders in addition to being politico-ceremonial monarchs.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oba_(ruler)

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by seunmsg(m): 7:11pm On Jul 03, 2016
The current Olu of yewa, HRM, Oba Kehinde Gbadewole Olugbenle was an area pastor in Redeem Christian church of God, Abuja before he was crowned. The G.O. Fully supported his coronation and he still attends service at redemption camp up till date.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by kolaish(m): 7:14pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

PAUL THE APOSTLE DID MORE THAN 100 TIMES OF WHAT U JUST SAID. INFACT HE PERSECUTED AND WAS PART OF THOSE THAT KILLED APOSTLE STEVEN BY STONING BECAUSE STEVEN WAS A FOLLOWER OF JESUS AND AT THE END, HE WORKED TO FULFIL THE PURPOSE OF JESUS ON EARTH. PLS TAKE YOUR TIME TO READ AND DIGEST THE PERSONALITY OF JESUS BEFORE MAKING COMMENTS ABOUT HIM. MAY GOD IN HIS INFINITE MERCY FORGIVE U AND MAKE YOUR WAYS STRAIGHT BEFORE HIM. STAY BLESSED.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by priphil(m): 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Philosopher ***Spotted***
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Rossikki: 7:24pm On Jul 03, 2016
BermudaTriangle:
Yes, its possible. He only needs to renounce and abstain from all traditional rights in agreement with his subjects.
The immediate past monarch of Imeko Town, the Olumeko of Imeko in Ogun state was a member of Celestial Church of Christ before he became the ruler of his town. He refused to undergo all the usual traditional rites sticking to his born-again belief. After his enthronement, he banned all traditional rites and festivals in the town during Celestial ceremonies and pilgrimage in the town. Later, he was taken to court by the traditional people but won the case on the premise that since the people willingly accepted to crown him without going through their traditional rites, they were subject to his directives whilst he remained on the throne.

I learnt his successor is a pastor in Redeemed church but i know not what transpired before or during his coronation.

What a disgraceful tale. Of course the kangaroo court will find any reason to rule against the people. The judges were christians! Damn. Africa is in a mess. The white man really dealt with us. undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by naijacentric(m): 7:29pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

atheist spoted
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Its people like you we pray for..Jesus Loves you
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 7:32pm On Jul 03, 2016
First of all, the term ''traditional ruler'' suggests you're a foreigner. Are you from Britain? France? America?

We, the African people are the traditional and natives the British allude to when they say ''traditional''. Traditional ruler is how European colonialists and slave raiders addressed African leaders and still do, because they (British) are foreigners. Therefore, its not incumbent on you as an African to address your leader as traditional. Each time we do this we're simply without shame reciting like a baby how a whiteman would say it.

When we use terms like native medicine or and traditional ruler to address our medicines and rulers, it's like a child reciting ''Z'' is for Zebra. Take the child to a zoo and he can't identify a zebra!. The child is simply reciting what the teacher and textbook told him/her to say.

I've looked into these things and can see clearly there's something wrong with the system of education we inherited from Britain. This education succeeded in schooling us to be copy cats and inferiors!.

It appears we've been brainwashed beyond repair!. And the worst are the so called educated Africans.

This's why I have concluded ''intellectual slavery'' is the worst legacy of colonialism.

@OP, this post is not about you, but the mass brainwashing of Afrians that have been going on for over 450 years.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by jidbwond(m): 8:13pm On Jul 03, 2016
But What?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by boujaye: 8:14pm On Jul 03, 2016
kenny091:
In light of the Ooni of Ife's recent gaffe when he said Jesus is his father, whereas his title as king of ife literarily means Oonirisa (leader of the Orisha). Ooni aside, traditional rulers generally perform a lot of roles that are in tandem with the African traditional religion and it is statedin the bible that no one can serve two masters. So what are the chances of a born again christian being a traditional ruler.
yes its possible only if he converts the traditional kingdom to the kingdom of God and rule by the word of God.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by boujaye: 8:23pm On Jul 03, 2016
musicwriter:
First of all, the term ''traditional ruler'' suggests you're a foreigner. Are you from Britain? France? America?

We, the African people are the traditional and natives the British allude to when they say ''traditional''. Traditional ruler is how European colonialists and slave raiders addressed African leaders and still do, because they (British) are foreigners. Therefore, its not incumbent on you as an African to address your leader as traditional. Each time we do this we're simply without shame reciting like a baby how a whiteman would say it.

When we use terms like native medicine or and traditional ruler to address our medicines and rulers, it's like a child reciting ''Z'' is for Zebra. Take the child to a zoo and he can't identify a zebra!. The child is simply reciting what the teacher and textbook told him/her to say.

I've looked into these things and can see clearly there's something wrong with the system of education we inherited from Britain. This education succeeded in schooling us to be copy cats and inferiors!.

It appears we've been brainwashed beyond repair!. And the worst are the so called educated Africans.

This's why I have concluded ''intellectual slavery'' is the worst legacy of colonialism.

@OP, this post is not about you, but the mass brainwashing of Afrians that have been going on for over 450 years.
how has traditional religion helped you? witchcrafcy, wickedness, evil, horror, mysterious death, demon manipulation, name the rest.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Anayordike(m): 8:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by boujaye: 8:27pm On Jul 03, 2016
musicwriter:

how has traditional religion helped you? witchcrafcy, wickedness, evil, horror, mysterious death, demon manipulation, name the rest. and you are still talking of traditional religion till this day? ah! think now.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by omofowowe: 8:32pm On Jul 03, 2016
What do you mean? Are you the registrar of heaven? There are kings that would surely make heaven. Have heard of late Oba I.B Akinyele of Ibadan
Onpetu of Ijeru land in Ogbomoso is good living example.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 8:44pm On Jul 03, 2016
boujaye:
how has traditional religion helped you? witchcrafcy, wickedness, evil, horror, mysterious death, demon manipulation, name the rest.

i was just wondering on the word ''traditional ruler'' and its meaning, not this topic in general. I think I said so.

I'm not interested in religion- any religion whether local or foreign.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by macof(m): 8:46pm On Jul 03, 2016
Zico5:
The bible says we should give unto Cesar what is due for Cesar and God what is due for him. Oonirisha is not an idol name, its like olubadan, owa obokun, there is nothing wrong if a christian becomes a king. It is to the glory of God. The first president of christ apostolic church (CAC) was ibadan king and he was regarded till today as one of the greatest man of God.

Christianity is not traditional to Africa. ... any traditional ruler who is a "born again" is a hypocrite.

the bible infact condemns african traditional thrones. .. these thrones are tied to local deities
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by mmsen: 8:51pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Christianity got to Ethiopia a lot longer than 300 years ago.

But you are right, religion is worse than drugs because at least drugs are demonized.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by bless2tom(m): 8:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
herbie27:
He can't......can you serve two masters at the same time?.
I said he can..its sumtin av witness..so deris notin bad in it....my opinion though.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by Joebeck(f): 9:07pm On Jul 03, 2016
No... You cannot serve God and devil at the same time.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? by RichYoungNigga: 9:11pm On Jul 03, 2016
herbie27:
E pain am. cheesy

Hopeless human being, lost soul, carry mouth like vagina.

E pain me ??

Because na my papa get Nairaland ?.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christmas Is A Celebration For Pagans – Daddy Freeze / You Are Not Condemned / Chris Okotie Celebrates 30th Anniversary Of Household Of God Church (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.