Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,609 members, 7,816,509 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? (1743 Views)

Praise God With Any Hymn/Song As 2017 Ends Today / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? / Why Do Christians Still Fornicate After Knowing It's A Serious Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 10:26am On Jul 03, 2016
Please I want to know why Christians come to church and give testimonies about the misfortunes of other people and use it to thank God for their own lives.

E.g you were in a vehicle and several people died and you were part of the few that survived. Then you go to church and praise God for sparing you while others died.

What is the point?

I told a christian sister that I am bothered that Millions don't have food to eat around the world and she said it is really none of my business that I should just thank God for my own life and having food to eat.

I am trying to make sense of this Christian practice.

Cc Lalasticlala, seun

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by realmindz: 10:29am On Jul 03, 2016
many are in the hospitals, many are perishing, many are dying but I thank God for my life....

I grew up to this popular way of giving testimony but at a time I began to reason..

I think that popular way of giving testimony should be abolished....

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by emerged01(m): 10:31am On Jul 03, 2016
HardMirror:
Please I want to know why Christians come to church and give testimonies about the misfortunes of other people and use it to thank God for their own lives.

E.g you were in a vehicle and several people died and you were part of the few that survived. Then you go to church and praise God for sparing you while others died.

What is the point?

I told a christian sister that I am bothered that Millions don't have food to eat around the world and she said it is really none of my business that I should just thank God for my own life and having food to eat.

Cc Lalasticlala, seun

1 thess 5 vs 18 says give thanks in all circumstances......
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 10:35am On Jul 03, 2016
emerged01:

By rejoicing over the misfortunes of others? By using their unfortunate circumstance to make yourself seem special?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by malvisguy212: 10:43am On Jul 03, 2016
HardMirror:

What is the point?

Cc Lalasticlala, seun
If she advice you to thank God for His blessing, does it mean she is at the same time laughing at the misfortune of others ? It is because your heart is mischievous and harden that is why you see it this way. Atheists will always look for a way to blame God for suffering. So if we disobey God, is God fault ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 10:48am On Jul 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
If she advice you to thank God for His blessing, does it mean she is at the same time laughing at the misfortune of others ? It is because your heart is mischievous and harden that is why you see it this way. Atheists will always look for a way to blame God for suffering. So if we disobey God, is God fault ?
So those suffering disobeyed God?
Why should I use the fact that others are suffering as a point in thanking God?
Is that not like glouting over them?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by Juxtified(m): 11:15am On Jul 03, 2016
Most people do not reason their testimonies critically before giving it in church. I would rather praise God in the privacy of my heart and home for sparing my life in a fatal motor vehicle accident. Imagine you coming out to say your life was spared by God's grace, to the hearing of the relative of someone else who died or was severely wounded in the same accident. It makes it seem as if there's some sort of selective grace or something... Doesn't just seem right.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by Strawman: 11:20am On Jul 03, 2016
OP it's a common human practice oh, I dunno what the fuss is about. I once told an atheist in school that a wicked lecturer deducted marks from some students, he said "Good thing I was not among!". The only difference is that some Christians would say "Thank God I was not among!"

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by saintkel(m): 11:22am On Jul 03, 2016
HardMirror:

By rejoicing over the misfortunes of others?
By using their unfortunate circumstance to make yourself seem special?
No testimony is for self glory. U r not saying u r stronger or better than those who died but u r giving glory to God n Christ Jesus for saving ur life. GOD alone belongs d glory. Remember dis; no matter d situation, give GOD d praise
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:37pm On Jul 03, 2016
Strawman:
OP it's a common human practice oh, I dunno what the fuss is about. I once told an atheist in school that a wicked lecturer deducted marks from some students, he said "Good thing I was not among!". The only difference is that some Christians would say "Thank God I was not among!"

THATS ABSOLUTE.

I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:39pm On Jul 03, 2016
HardMirror:

By rejoicing over the misfortunes of others?
By using their unfortunate circumstance to make yourself seem special?

"....... AND LOVED BY GOD. JUST YOU. BECAUSE YOU'RE VIP! "
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:45pm On Jul 03, 2016
malvisguy212:

EVEN IF YOU NEED TO DEFEND YOUR GAY GOD YOU SHOULD AT LEAST TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE OP FIRST.

FOR INSTANCE, TWO FRIENDS ON BIKE GETS INVOLVED IN A ROAD ACCIDENT.
ONE DIES AND THE OTHER MANAGES TO SURVIVE WITH ALL ROUND INJURIES, AND MAYBE PARALYZED AND BLINDED FOR LIFE.

YOU'LL STILL HEAR THE VICTIM AND HIS FAMILY SAY "THANK GOD FOR AT LEAST SAVING YOUR LIFE, ITS A MIRACLE YOU SURVIVED. MAYBE HE HAS A PURPOSE FOR THIS, THE LORDS WILL IS THE BEST WILL".

SO GOD HAS A PURPOSE FOR TAKING THE VICTIMS DEAR FRIEND'S LIFE, AND LEAVING HIM PARALYZED AND BLIND FOR LIFE?
IT'S A MIRACLE THE VICTIM SURVIVED BUT IN CRUMBS?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by cloudgoddess(f): 3:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
Strawman:
I think the difference is that the atheist will openly acknowledge that his fortune was indeed a matter of pure luck. That it could've been him in the unfortunate situation, and it was merely chance that made it otherwise.

But when one introduces God into the picture, it very much implies that they were intentionally favored in a way that an atheist would probably never claim to be. Suggesting that somehow, the supposed creator of the universe chose to prioritize their lives or happiness over that of others.

I think the non-God perpective makes room for (but of course, does not necessarily guarantee) a more humble sense of gratitude, as well as compassion on the part of those who were not so fortunate. Whereas the "God did this for ME" perspective is more likely to breed self-centeredness and disconcern for the misfortune of others.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by orunto27: 4:18pm On Jul 03, 2016
It's like a Plane Crash in which all the Passengers including a Pregnant woman died and only the baby that was forcifully delivered was saved. God has just delivered "A Lot out of Sodom and Gomorrah" and demonstrated His Wonders before our very eyes. Praise God!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by winner01(m): 5:47pm On Jul 03, 2016
emerged01:

Chai, atheists ehn undecided..See how they turned "give thanks in all things" to "give thanks over the misfortune of others".
Lol Op, whatever the christian sister told you is hers and yours alone. We give thanks not because of the misfortune of others but because God deserves out thanks no matter the circumatance.
Plus, this issue has been dealt with before, click HERE

So why recycle such DOA threads in your bid to defame christianity.? undecided
Are you out of ideas?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 6:54pm On Jul 03, 2016
winner01:
Chai, atheists ehn undecided..See how they turned "give thanks in all things" to "give thanks over the misfortune of others".
Lol Op, whatever the christian sister told you is hers and yours alone. We give thanks not because of the misfortune of others but because God deserves out thanks no matter the circumatance.
Plus, this issue has been dealt with before, why recycle such DOA threads in your bid to defame christianity.? undecided
Are you out of ideas?
That scripture makes sense when you are giving thanks to God for your own misfortune, not that of other people.
My message is clear to the discerning minds.
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 6:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
orunto27:
It's like a Plane Crash in which all the Passengers including a Pregnant woman died and only the baby that was forcifully delivered was saved. God has just delivered "A Lot out of Sodom and Gomorrah" and demonstrated His Wonders before our very eyes. Praise God!!
Exactly. It's all good so far our selfish selves are spared. sad

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2016
cloudgoddess:

I think the difference is that the atheist will openly acknowledge that his fortune was indeed a matter of pure luck. That it could've been him in the unfortunate situation, and it was merely chance that made it otherwise.

But when one introduces God into the picture, it very much implies that they were intentionally favored in a way that an atheist would probably never claim to be. Suggesting that somehow, the supposed creator of the universe chose to prioritize their lives or happiness over that of others.

I think the non-God perpective makes room for (but of course, does not necessarily guarantee) a more humble sense of gratitude, as well as compassion on the part of those who were not so fortunate. Whereas the "God did this for ME" perspective is more likely to breed self-centeredness and disconcern for the misfortune of others.
Well said.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by johnydon22(m): 7:23pm On Jul 03, 2016

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by Image123(m): 2:55pm On Jul 05, 2016
HardMirror:

What is the point?

Cc Lalasticlala, seun

Well, the Bible does not teach us so, the Bible enjoins christians to pray for others and love others even their enemies. There is nothing wrong in thanking God for your life. Most people i know are very quick and forward to state that they are not using their testimony to mock or gloat over others.

Lam 3:22 It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
Lam 3:23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

If you follow the Bible more than following men, you should have less problems, looking unto Jesus the Author and End of our faith.
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 7:45am On Dec 18, 2016
Cos it is their nature to rejoice over the misfortunes of others
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by damogul: 8:20am On Dec 18, 2016
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 10:10am On Dec 18, 2016
damogul:
exposing a lying nairalander pls read

https://www.nairaland.com/3485930/exposing-hardmirror-tale-two-mirrors
Thanks for bumping my threads for me jare, I need people like u to keep me popular. So wish I cld help you too, but u not worth it grin
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by GoodMuyis(m): 10:41am On Dec 18, 2016
If you HardMirror care for them, what solution would you prefer

--------
3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by hopefulLandlord: 3:26pm On Aug 05, 2017
good question
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by Amberon11: 4:37pm On Aug 05, 2017
Senseless as always.
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by malvisguy212: 5:37pm On Aug 05, 2017
HardMirror:

What is the point?

Cc Lalasticlala, seun
let me ask you this question, those that have died, are you better than them ? if yes, why ? if no, isn't it wonderful to be alive among the living ?
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by Ken4Christ: 2:40am On Aug 06, 2017
HardMirror:

What is the point?

Cc Lalasticlala, seun

Your question reveals two things. First, that you are not a Christian or no longer a Christian.

Second, it sends a wrong notion that every Christian does that.

Well, it's not wrong to celebrate the fact that you survived an accident while others couldn't. But while sharing the testimony, it should not send a message that makes you feel that you are more righteous than those who died. It is simply an act of the mercy of God.

HardMirror, rather than dwelling on questions like this, get back to your first love and serve the Lord. Jesus still loves you and ready to receive you back with open arms.

I have seen several of your critical questions on this forum and I knew where the devil took you off track till dare.

Please, Jesus is still Lord and your destiny is in the decision you make about the gospel.

The rapture is near. It will be a great tragedy to be left behind.
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by hopefulLandlord: 9:48am On Aug 09, 2017
Hardmirror, your attention is needed here
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 10:01am On Aug 09, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Hardmirror, your attention is needed here
hey oga landlord how u r side? where is my attention needed?
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by hopefulLandlord: 10:07am On Aug 09, 2017
HardMirror:

hey oga landlord how u r side? where is my attention needed?

see those posts up there, while you slept, the enemies came to plant weed in your plants grin
Re: Why Do Christians Praise God For Misfortunes Of Others? by HardMirror(m): 10:23am On Aug 09, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

see those posts up there, while you slept, the enemies came to plant weed in your plants grin
they don't worth my attention

(1) (Reply)

Why Allah Allowed Christianity? / Have You Ever Been In A Life Threatening Situation?? Share Your Experience* / What to do when People show you Short Pieces of the Holy Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.