Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,046 members, 7,814,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN (46738 Views)

Yusuf Ololade Faidat Of UNILORIN Clinches 19 Prizes At Convocation / Photos Of Unilorin At Night- By Jide Dosunmu / Mohammed Sani Idiagbon Of UNILORIN In Sex Scandal (Audio Clip) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Nyceguy92: 11:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
Could somebody please explain to me, what is the purpose of the sweat shirt?

Has the university now taken up the responsibility of clothing the students?

I think it would wise if every uni has a Parents University Association ( similar to PTAs in primary and secondary schools) to monitor and vet what the students pay for.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Starships4u(m): 11:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
thetruthmale:
So, I have decided to let the world know my plight and, that of my fellow helpless, confused, sometimes tired and, confused student.

What you are about to read are nothing but the truth but, I will propose means to verify my claims.

This short essay will gives insight into the unfair treatment meted out to helpless student of ...UNILORIN in general and my department in particular.

UNILORIN:
1. Tablet pc: Since 2013 first year students are been mandated to pay extravagant fees, about N25,000 of that money is reported to be for the acquisition of android tab. Sadly, they are substandard, any student will readily attest to how sub-standard these tabs are, only a meager number of students use theirs beyond a semester because it develops faults easily, the calibration always has fault, in fact, mine developed fault just lying on the ground.
Also, the 'mass' production of a tab that substandard should be not more than N10,000 but, unfortunately we are charged an exorbitant fee of 150% extra.
Currently, the freshers and some 200L students are yet to receive the tabs. Bear in mind that the money for the tabs have been paid for with the school fees, also bear in mind that the purpose of the tab was to 'aid' learning and we are already having second semester exams.

2. Wifi and Sweatshirts: At the resumption of the 2015/16 session students were compelled to pay N5,000 and N2,500 for Wifi and sweatshirt respectively.
Social sciences didn't get the Wifi infrastructure till the second semester.
For the sweatshirts... there was an uproar in school over how substandard the sweatshirts were, just wash them for about three times and they will fade as if you have been using them for over two years. As at the time of writing this, only the 100L and final year students have received their sweatshirts. Those sweatshirts will take nothing more than N1000-N1200 to produce, but then we paid N2,500.

FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES (MY DEPT):
1. Sexual harassment and paying for results: By now some of you must have heard about a Dr. Idiagbon of the Faculty of Arts that sexually harassed a female student. Breaking News! THERE ARE MORE!!! like him in Social sciences.
I have first hand knowledge and information about sexual harassment in my department (For now, I will not mention names of Lecturers or department). I also have first hand experience of a lecturer collecting money for results. These people are my 'friends' and fellow students and, that's why I've decided not to name names.
My problem with these acts is that the lecturers automatically makes foes of those students that wouldn't act obsequiously. I and some other diligent students have been dealt by this.
In the 2014/15 session a certain lecturer even after facing allegations of bribery and other offences eluded judgement because he has 'legs.' Students don't talk publicly or call for results because of the fear of victimisation.
Well, I know students that paid bribes, female students that were favoured, and student who were treated badly. Hmm, still not calling names.

UNILORIN' ROLE IN VERIFYING MY CLAIMS AND CURBING THIS MENACE:
1. Carry out a survey among students (students must be anonymous), survey should be directed towards (i) knowing students who have been harassed or knows somebody who has, (ii) knowing lecturers who are involved etc.
If these lecturers perceive that they are being watched, they will behave.
2. Create a body or mechanism where complaints like this can be lodged anonymously so students don't suffer the repercussion.
3. Give us goods worth our money.
4. Students shouldn't be mandated to pay for tablets, the country is tough enough.

This is the cry of so many students feeling helpless. Please EPP US!
NB: I've good grades, but my grievance is that it should have been better if not for lecturer-impunity. Written sociology faculty courses are good examples of mindless allocation of marks.
Even if nothing is done about the past, at least, something should be done to curb further occurrence.
UNILORIN 'Probitas Doctrinas (In learning and in character)' shouldn't be limited to students alone.

How much is your school fees Bro??
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by gaffig: 11:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
thetruthmale:
So, I have decided to let the world know my plight and, that of my fellow helpless, confused, sometimes tired and, confused student.

What you are about to read are nothing but the truth but, I will propose means to verify my claims.

This short essay will gives insight into the unfair treatment meted out to helpless student of ...UNILORIN in general and my department in particular.

UNILORIN:
1. Tablet pc: Since 2013 first year students are been mandated to pay extravagant fees, about N25,000 of that money is reported to be for the acquisition of android tab. Sadly, they are substandard, any student will readily attest to how sub-standard these tabs are, only a meager number of students use theirs beyond a semester because it develops faults easily, the calibration always has fault, in fact, mine developed fault just lying on the ground.
Also, the 'mass' production of a tab that substandard should be not more than N10,000 but, unfortunately we are charged an exorbitant fee of 150% extra.
Currently, the freshers and some 200L students are yet to receive the tabs. Bear in mind that the money for the tabs have been paid for with the school fees, also bear in mind that the purpose of the tab was to 'aid' learning and we are already having second semester exams.

2. Wifi and Sweatshirts: At the resumption of the 2015/16 session students were compelled to pay N5,000 and N2,500 for Wifi and sweatshirt respectively.
For the sweatshirts... there was an uproar in school over how substandard the sweatshirts were, just wash them for about three times and they will fade as if you have been using them for over two years. As at the time of writing this, only the 100L and final year students have received their sweatshirts. Those sweatshirts will take nothing more than N1000-N1200 to produce, but then we paid N2,500.

1. Sexual harassment and paying for results: By now some of you must have heard about a Dr. Idiagbon of the Faculty of Arts that sexually harassed a female student. Breaking News! THERE ARE MORE!!! like him in Social sciences.
I have first hand knowledge and information about sexual harassment in my department (For now, I will not mention names of Lecturers or department). I also have first hand experience of a lecturer collecting money for results. These people are my 'friends' and fellow students and, that's why I've decided not to name names.
My problem with these acts is that the lecturers automatically makes foes of those students that wouldn't act obsequiously. I and some other diligent students have been dealt by this.
In the 2014/15 session a certain lecturer even after facing allegations of bribery and other offences eluded judgement because he has 'legs.' Students don't talk publicly or call for results because of the fear of victimisation.
Well, I know students that paid bribes, female students that were favoured, and student who were treated badly. Hmm, still not calling names.

1. Carry out a survey among students (students must be anonymous), survey should be directed towards (i) knowing students who have been harassed or knows somebody who has, (ii) knowing lecturers who are involved etc.
2. Create a body or mechanism where complaints like this can be lodged anonymously so students don't suffer the repercussion.
4. Students shouldn't be mandated to pay for tablets, the country is tough enough.

NB: I've good grades, but my grievance is that it should have been better if not for lecturer-impunity. Written sociology faculty courses are good examples of mindless allocation of marks.
Even if nothing is done about the past, at least, something should be done to curb further occurrence.
UNILORIN 'Probitas Doctrinas (In learning and in character)' shouldn't be limited to students alone.

when did we get here? Unilorin my pride under the leadership of Oloyede. ..A man of respect!! imagine all this nonsense now, for sure we know that SUG Is a figurehead but I think something has to be done
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Claroo(m): 12:14am On Jul 14, 2016
yinkarh187:
are u a unilorite?
Graduated from there
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Nobody: 12:43am On Jul 14, 2016
HomoSapiien:
Well, I just gained admission and I will not be paying for any goddamn tab wink
see you... sey u wan wise pass ur school... u dat av paid already wen u paid acceptance and tuition fee... look @ u
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 14, 2016
0955eb027:
Ooh! Prof Opoola would have been the best option, but he took you 326 shey?. Kenya taught metric space when i was in 300, trust me you will never wish for a Lecturer like that. It is well ehn, just put in your very best. Reading aint gonna kill, and 400 aint as difficult as 300 level. PS: Kenya was my project supervisor as an undergraduate.

Nah! Dr(mrs) fadipe joseph taught us 326 sad , we we wanted Dr babalola sad, we enjoyed 329......
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by eemjay(f): 1:04am On Jul 14, 2016
Pointers to the fact that Prof. Oloyede the former Vc was doing a great job. I hope this impunity isn't happening in the Sciences. The trend must be nipped in the bud. Now I see why it is taking forever to prepare transcript, which was never the case before. I hope someone close to the current Vc gets this across to him. Btw what's with the sweatshirts? The tablet & wifi shouldn't be compulsory.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by wunmi2odun(m): 1:51am On Jul 14, 2016
UEDIBO:
I WANTED TO COME THERE FOR MY P.H.D. I WILL CHANGE IT.
Dude been high on some osogbo weed since 1802 (BC) grin grin grin
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by cevek11: 2:44am On Jul 14, 2016
BUHARIÌIIÌIIIIIÌII
APC
Federal Government
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by freemanjay: 4:23am On Jul 14, 2016
UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA ADMISSION SCREENING FORM OUT---http://gisttrack.com.ng/university-nigeria-nsukka-admission-screening-form/
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Jilo83(m): 5:03am On Jul 14, 2016
Better by far ni jor!
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by sexyellency(m): 6:32am On Jul 14, 2016
sugarwiz:

I won't argue wit u..... dats for undergraduates.....nd I can hate all I want...ur post is funny tho...u sound lyk a teenager. I'm not a guy
I didn't check ur gender, sorry for that.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Mutee: 6:33am On Jul 14, 2016
thetruthmale:

My brother...

Pls, whoever the MOD' are, cc: lalasticlala
cc: fynestboi

Pls, I'd appreciate if more people can be allowed to see this, let UNILORIN students, lecturers and administration be given a chance to scrutinise this. Thanks.

Do a mail to channelsTV and TVC then copy EFCC and ICPC. Post this on Facebook and summarise it in a tweet and copy relevant bodies' handles. Let people retweet and share let's see what happens next.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Raymonbell(m): 6:46am On Jul 14, 2016
teamsynergy:
nonsense like dis happens in every public sch in Nigeria.. I failed a course back then in Ife cos d lecturer tot I was blocking his way.. he showed me ma result (I got 68b) but he never posted it on d portal.. I had to delete and retake d course.. no welfare at all in govt schs.. try and maintain lowkey, if not hummmmmm

If this happen in Ife and you keep quiet, You deserve serious cane
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Akkord4gov: 6:48am On Jul 14, 2016
SuPeRq:
@Nazeem I sight u

Make u no open my yansh o. That name is unique and it won't take time to identify me if Unilorin members of staff dey here o
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Samyokporua(m): 6:51am On Jul 14, 2016
I feel your pain bro and I like your confidence in doing this... I also believe that if your SUG were capable, you would have gone there first and if also taken to the wrong hands man, you won't graduate but now that it's here, NUC and other bodies would have seen and made it an action item to look into ASAP. It happens virtually every where but I believe efforts like would gradually make Nigeria better.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by sugarwiz(f): 7:02am On Jul 14, 2016
sexyellency:
I didn't check ur gender, sorry for that.
I sound lyk ur mom ryt...lol...yeah u av to b sorry
I checked ur gender ....I wasn't surprised
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by sugarwiz(f): 7:05am On Jul 14, 2016
D skul is so filled wit douchebags....trying to harass all dey c...even non-student
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by elguaje(m): 7:17am On Jul 14, 2016
Ghost447:
No fraternity in that school?
Nothing like that,what help can u render to establish one
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by biookuta(m): 7:33am On Jul 14, 2016
Shit Too Bad,are U Not Better By Far Again? ;DShit Too Bad,are U Not Better By Far Again?
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by ayoxelee(m): 7:52am On Jul 14, 2016
lardeipo:
blatant lies u zei?
yea... it an act of defamation , if ur tab dznt last dz it means dat all d tab dznt last. Everytn written here are just not true may d sweat shrt myt b tru sha
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Obiwiz(m): 7:54am On Jul 14, 2016
Hahaha. Summarily, there's NO EDUCATION IN UNILORIN, JUST LITERACY. I tell you, the most primitive set of certificated Nigerians are clustered there.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Obiwiz(m): 7:58am On Jul 14, 2016
ayoxelee:

yea... it an act of defamation , if ur tab dznt last dz it means dat all d tab dznt last. Everytn written here are just not true may d sweat shrt myt b tru sha
Young man, you're a problem to ur generation. Are you in the school as student or staff? Or you just like to support negative trends and practices? Dat sweatshirt given to them can't be worth more than #500(retail price) in the open market.

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by darlingnuel(m): 7:59am On Jul 14, 2016
UEDIBO:
I WANTED TO COME THERE FOR MY P.H.D. I WILL CHANGE IT.
You mean Ph.D? Or PHD for 'PULL HIM DOWN'?
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Halivy(m): 8:20am On Jul 14, 2016
thetruthmale:

UNILORIN:

The OP is very right. All those faculty courses which are in sociology (Soc101 n Soc217) na Academic death. They nearly spoiled my CGPA. Meanwhile I'm yet to receive my Sweat-shirt.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by teamsynergy: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2016
Raymonbell:

If this happen in Ife and you keep quiet, You deserve serious cane
u funny die.. don't u know dia r untouchable top guns in dat sch.. I ran from pillar to post, nofin happened.. so many things get covered up.. u won't know until it happens to u.. Yinka DSA slaps and insults students at will.. can u voice out on dat??
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by aristosoft(m): 8:24am On Jul 14, 2016
yinkarh187:
hehehe...continue defending ur right when your mate are already earning 6figures salary

Then, they should shut up and enjoy the exploitation because 6-figure salary is waiting for them. The 'Yes Sir' attitude would even help them get those jobs faster.

And when they even get those jobs, those ones will also deduct 20% of their salary for rents and give them substandard houses. They would also need to keep quiet so as not to loose the 6-figure salary job.

Government will tax them and squander their tax money but they will still need to endure so as not to miss their 6-figure salary job.

#UnbakedGraduate #cowardice #slaveryMentality #sufferingAndSmiling

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Charlesberry(m): 8:31am On Jul 14, 2016
South south universities wouldn't accept all of this. S.U.G should help or dvc academic should also help out. Student should pass through right channel but if e no work ehn. In unical such lecturer will be shot dead. Yea I mean it coz dats gross. As for. School fees and the rest S.U.G will help out or student will compel them to do so, if it doesn't go as plan d will be riot and property will be destroy and student will accept to pay 10k for damage property and so on.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by richywhales(m): 8:39am On Jul 14, 2016
Peterjosh:
Can't u channel these claims to ur student union body....Through a concerted effort, something can be done.....
Union tht is in favour of d school management.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by shyenar999(m): 8:49am On Jul 14, 2016
Nyceguy92:
Could somebody please explain to me, what is the purpose of the sweat shirt?

Has the university now taken up the responsibility of clothing the students?

I think it would wise if every uni has a Parents University Association ( similar to PTAs in primary and secondary schools) to monitor and vet what the students pay for.

PLA
Parent Lecturer Association
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by lardeipo(f): 9:13am On Jul 14, 2016
ayoxelee:

as a student, after collectn d tab due to some reasons, u want to resell it. Either because u hv one already, nt given to u by d school or u needed money. d highest amount they will price d tab is 6000 compared to d 20,000 plus they collect frm their students. nd funny enuff, u make payments for d tab first b4 payn for d school fees.
Re: UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN by Olujoe1(m): 9:53am On Jul 14, 2016
U mean the school SU? They are as helpless as toothless bulldog themselves
Peterjosh:
Can't u channel these claims to ur student union body....Through a concerted effort, something can be done.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Unilorin 2014/2015 Remedial Thread. / Current Post-Graduate Admissions In Nigeria (2015/2016) / Top 10 Most Educated Countries In The World - 2023 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.