Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State (84913 Views)

Dolphin Killed By A Man In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Trapped Manatee Caught And Butchered In Bayelsa By Residents. Photos / Photos Of Dolphin Caught In Brass, Bayelsa State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
Some Nigerians with their stewpeedity.
Why eat this lovely and gentle animal. Yeye people after 2days d meat finish n shit am throw wey.
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by nintal(m): 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
This could have made you more money than the meat. Hunting spirit!
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by sexychocho(f): 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
Dis is just too bad. Ow can dey kill dis lovely Delphinus delphis. Dis is wickedness ooo
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by DifferentBoy1(m): 5:28pm On Jul 06, 2016
BomboyOnline:
[size=14pt]The dangers of eating dolphin meat[/size]

Eating dolphin meat may seem abhorrent to most Americans, but many cultures around the world include marine mammals in their diets. For instance, people on the tropical island of St. Vincent in the Caribbean can legally hunt and eat dolphins. But these culinary traditions have a health downside: The meat and blubber contain high levels of mercury, which can contribute to disorders ranging from memory loss to seizures.

Much of the mercury pollution in the ocean comes from gold mining. Once in the water, it can be converted to another chemical called methylmercury. Small organisms ingest the mercury and methylmercury; when predators eat those animals, they accumulate even higher levels of the toxic compounds. Because marine mammals are near the top of the food chain, they often carry the most mercury in their tissues.

Researchers studied dolphin consumption in St. Vincent, where about two-thirds of the residents eat marine mammal meat. The team members analyzed meat and blubber from 28 spinner dolphins and 11 Atlantic spotted dolphins that had been caught near the island. They also tested processed unidentified cetacean meat, probably from dolphins or pilot whales, from a market. People usually process the meat by cutting it into pieces and drying it to make a beef jerky-like snack.

The fresh, unprocessed tissue contained an average of 0.92 to 1.57 micrograms of mercury per gram, the researchers report in Marine Pollution Bulletin. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers 1 microgram per gram to be the “action level” at which authorities could advise people to cut down on seafood consumption. And the processed meat was far worse — it contained an average of 7.59 micrograms of mercury and 6.05 micrograms of methylmercury per gram of tissue.

The results suggest that dolphin meat could pose a health risk to the people of St. Vincent, the team suggests. If public health officials advise residents to eat less of it, dolphin populations could benefit — but managers will need to make sure that substituting other meats doesn’t create another conservation problem. — Roberta Kwok | 6 November 2014

Source: Fielding, R. and D.W. Evans. 2014. Mercury in Caribbean dolphins (Stenella longirostris and Stenella frontalis) caught for human consumption off St. Vincent, West Indies. Marine Pollution Bulletin doi: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.10.040.

Guy, if what you said is true, I pray the mercury starts work fast in the stomachs of the eaters of this creature because it pricks my heart to behold such injustice to this harmless being.

2 Likes

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by sukkot: 5:28pm On Jul 06, 2016
a few decades ago, a king somewhere in nigeria captured about 100 white people and demanded ransom from the royal family in england or he would eat the people. the royal family told him to fork off, so this nigga cooked like 56 of the white people and ate them all buahahahaha. these negros are FINISHED. DONE. KAPUT. THE BLACK MAN IS FINISHED. grin grin
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by zicoraads: 5:29pm On Jul 06, 2016
This is very sad!
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by blackprowler: 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2016
The savage apes have done it again! Land of the Apes. Where better people love such animals because they are intelligent and make a good tourist attraction, the animal called Nigerian just wants to murder. So it was one day I was walking on the street I saw a young girl throw a wounded pigeon on the tarred road so that oncoming cars can crush it to death. It doesn't occur naturally to the Nigerian animal that she should even help treat the bird (that is if she's not the one who handicapped it sef). All they think is to kill, destroy...and that's how they start from childhood. I had to fight with myself to continue on and not deal with the barbarian as my whole life is in shit now for always doing such and I don't want the Nigerian apes to take aim at me anymore because this time, I will not survive. Returning from my trip, I well and truly found the hapless bird crushed as expected. The reason why Nigeria can't develop is that we're still wild animals (minus me). We were only forced into apparent modernity by the colonisers. It is not the problem of political structure; it is the problem of our mind: BLACK MAN IS STILL AN APE!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by Baroba(m): 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2016
xandy84:
Sometimes, I wish we as a Nigerian and not government can act right. I paI'd on a boat ride to go watch a dolphins in Virginia and both city and state make money by collecting taxes and also creating employment and here we are in Nigeria, killing everything that comes our way. I pray and wish we can start to act right as an individual, community and a nation..

Be careful before the, 'You dey form Oyibo crew enter this thread' ... We have a serious problem in this country, poor thing, it must have lost its way and entered Nigeria,unfortunately it was a grave mistake ...

Meanwhile in Sea world San Antonio this is what they do with dolphins:

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by joseph227(m): 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2016
Do u think dolphin is cat fish or fresh fish... Nigerians killing anytin dey lay dere hands on
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by Orikinla(m): 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2016
bigtt76:
Pipeline den go blow, people den go kidnap, poor creatures den go kill.... Niger Delta I hail ona all o! grin

[size=18pt]They are re-tards everywhere.
See the bush man even posing like he killed a shark!
The worst predicament in the Niger Delta is not deprivation of resource control, but their lack of good education.[/size]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by oblak00(m): 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2016
Am sorry cry cry
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by deebrain(m): 5:32pm On Jul 06, 2016
[size=30pt]JESU!!![/size]shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by DIVA99(f): 5:33pm On Jul 06, 2016
y will dey kill an innocent nd harmless animal yy people re so heartlessss
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by BumbleBee2ice(f): 5:33pm On Jul 06, 2016
Dis is utterly inhumane, its saddening seeing dat pic. If a white man accidentally meets them on dat spot they all risk bin shot @.
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by javispj(m): 5:34pm On Jul 06, 2016
That's like the most intelligent creature in the sea..it's been recorded how they save people from sharks.. n they still went ahead n killed it..fools.if is where the united states..some people would go to jail.. angryThat's like the most intelligent creature in the sea..it's been recorded how they save people from sharks.. n they still went ahead n killed it..fools.if is where the united states..some people would go to jail..
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by iyobosadavid: 5:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
In some parts of the world, such as Taiji, Japan and the
Faroe Islands , dolphins are traditionally considered as food,
and are killed in harpoon or drive hunts. Dolphin meat
is consumed in a small number of countries worldwide,
which include Japan and Peru (where it is referred to
as chancho marino , or "sea pork"). While Japan may be
the best-known and most controversial example, only a very
small minority of the population has ever sampled it.
Dolphin meat is dense and such a dark shade of red as to
appear black. Fat is located in a layer of blubber between
the meat and the skin. When dolphin meat is eaten in
Japan, it is often cut into thin strips and eaten raw as
sashimi , garnished with onion and either horseradish or
grated garlic , much as with sashimi of whale or horse meat
(basashi ). When cooked, dolphin meat is cut into bite-size
cubes and then batter-fried or simmered in a miso sauce
with vegetables. Cooked dolphin meat has a flavor very
similar to beef liver .
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by Flygeriansteve: 5:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
prinsam30:
I can see some comments like, why do they have to kill it? why not take it to the Zoo? why not create an artificial beach or pool? why killing an harmless animal like that?
harmless fish wey u no train from small, I wonder how una dey take reason sef

Shey na crime now make person kill eatable animals chop for this country where almost everything seams to stay Stagnant?

person go do fishing, come catch big fish una say make him go put am for zoo or artificial pool, I tire for una ooooo

see better meat abeg

Oga Seun. You see why we need the down vote option on Nairaland. This guy would have had minus likes or votes to show people are repulsed by this brainless comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by badonkadonk: 5:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
cnnamoko:
We really need a law in Nigeria to jail people that kill beautiful and rare animals. Goat, cow, snake don finish?

Na wa for you o...

Una never even exhaust the law wey una get to jail people wey dey show serious injustice to other humans... U wan dey advocate make dem put up another law to safeguard rare animals from human injustice...

Have u ever seen a hungry man inhaling just the aroma of a well prepared meal before?
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by iamord(m): 5:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
khalhokage:
A friend of mine working at Shell terminal, Ogulagha Focados in Delta state sent these pics to me.

They caught and immediately butchered it for meat.

I didn't know people ate dolphin too o shocked kiss cry
I feel so pissed at this sight. Must you eat everything
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by DonnyT: 5:36pm On Jul 06, 2016
xandy84:
Sometimes, I wish we as a Nigerian and not government can act right. I paI'd on a boat ride to go watch a dolphins in Virginia and both city and state make money by collecting taxes and also creating employment and here we are in Nigeria, killing everything that comes our way. I pray and wish we can start to act right as an individual, community and a nation..

Same thing here in Houston TX area. It generated lots of money for people and the government.

If they die of mercury poison, they'll say na one witch from their village.
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by iyobosadavid: 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2016
Health concerns
There have been human health concerns associated with
the consumption of dolphin meat in Japan after tests
showed that dolphin meat contained high levels of mercury . There are no known cases of mercury poisoning as a
result of consuming dolphin meat, though the government
continues to monitor people in areas where dolphin meat
consumption is high. The Japanese government
recommends that children and pregnant women avoid
eating dolphin meat on a regular basis.
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by ercel: 5:38pm On Jul 06, 2016
Anyone who can eat dolphin can actually eat a human being!
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by prinsam30: 5:38pm On Jul 06, 2016
AgricSalt:

Won't the fishermen earn more if they sold it to conservators?

Somebody like Peter of PSquare for instance will be happy to buy this dolphin and build a tourist pool for it!

the conservation we have how is it maintained? pls don't try to be what you are not, leave the white folks to do their thing, it is better it should be used as food than letting it die of hunger and starvation in this present situation
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by femi4: 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2016
khalhokage:
A friend of mine working at Shell terminal, Ogulagha Focados in Delta state sent these pics to me.

They caught and immediately butchered it for meat.

I didn't know people ate eat dolphin too o shocked kiss cry
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by sanandreas(m): 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2016
lonelydora:
Being Shell workers, they should have been enlightened enough to know that it's a harmless mammal that we hardly see in Nigeria and shouldn't be killed. Why kill it?

A shell worker wouldn't do that for no reason. They respect host community wildlife so much. It is against companies ethics. It might be villagers

1 Like

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by diegwu01: 5:44pm On Jul 06, 2016
From Nairaland alone,
I have learnt Nigerians eat
1. Snake (all types)
2. Lion (escapee from jos zoo)
3. Rat, Moles, etc
4. Cobra
5. Monitor Lizard
6. Crocodile
7. Duck
6. Manatee
7. Sea Lion
8. Dogs all types (including Dalmatians)
8.Bush Cat
9. Bush baby
10. Alligator
11. Giant Wall Gecko
12. Whale
13. Shark
14. Walrus
15. Dolphin..

nairalanders abeg remind me of others..

2 Likes

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2016
nigeria is jus backward in everytn dats y we cnt progress the total number of assholes outweigh the smart ones...

1 Like

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by eaglechild: 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2016
This is so sad.

This beautiful animal is worth much more alive.

I know people who will pay big cash to have that dolphin.

What a waste.

1 Like

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by prinsam30: 5:48pm On Jul 06, 2016
Flygeriansteve:

Oga Seun. You see why we need the down vote option on Nairaland. This guy would have had minus likes or votes to show people are repulsed by this brainless comment.

And unfortunately, I'm sorry to disappoint you, Oga Seun is not in anyway responsible for my comment, I was only exercising one of the rights to freedom.

people who liked my comment are more reasonable than making brainless comment as yours.

Oga, Abi na ur hand I take type am, I take God beg u, mind ur business before I slap u for where u dey rite now
Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by ossyprince: 5:50pm On Jul 06, 2016
ehya dolphine.....

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by onatisi(m): 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2016
Kai,that dolphin miss road. It must have thought all human are the same hence it thought it could play and joke with Nigerians .

1 Like

Re: Look At This Dolphin That Was Caught And Killed In Delta State by banmee(m): 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2016
Freiburger:
Mehnnnnn. Killing a dolphin for food? shocked shocked

They are supposed to be eaten as food too. It's basically a fish. But, the difference is, in normal countries, their killing is regulated. Just as whales are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

This Animal Survived 24,000 Years Frozen In The Siberian Permafrost (Photos) / Goat Gives Birth To Strange Creature In Limpopo,South Africa (viewers Discretion / The Python That Swallowed A Goat In Gwagwalada Abuja - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.