Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. (3882 Views)

Twitter User Claims A Woman Is 'Having Sex' With His 23-Year-Old Neigbour / I Dumped A Potential Boyfriend Because He Asked Me To Cook - Anne Oluchi Ifediba / 15 Pictures Every Nigerian Who Has Been Single Too Long Will Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:01pm On Jul 06, 2016
In Nigeria, certain things are expected of women. When it comes to the affairs of the home, the society looks up to them. After all, they are the home keepers.

Similarly, every girl child is trained to assume these roles and responsibilities once they are of age. It is more or less a taboo for a Nigerian woman not to be able to cook; it is a serious matter which the society frowns at.

Many homes have become broken due to the woman’s inability to cook and make decent meals; some ladies have been sent back to their parents’ houses so they could learn how to cook. A woman is considered ripe for marriage not only when she is of age but when she has developed attributes and skills that would help her manage the new home she would be starting.

Although we do not share the thought that a woman’s place is in the kitchen, we believe in equity. The husband and wife are expected to grow with each other and complement each other. Their union could be more fun if they could learn new things together.

However, a Nigerian woman is expected to know how to cook some foods. Find below some of the foods she is expected to know how to make:

1. Rice:
This is one of the simplest foods we have in Nigeria; it is shocking that some women cannot make this simple meal while married. A woman who cannot boil rice would definitely mess up when it comes to cooking jollof or fried rice.

Some parents do not help matters too; they spoil their children by having everything done for them. A typical Nigerian who does not know how to make this food will definitely have issues making other foods that have series of processes.

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:03pm On Jul 06, 2016
2. Eba:
This is another simple meal that could be made within a very short period of time; a Nigerian woman that is considered eligible for marriage must no doubt be able to make this meal.

It would shock you that some women cannot make this meal at all, you can be sure that if they attempt putting water on fire, it would not boil. Some make this meal in such a way that you could play ball with it.

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:06pm On Jul 06, 2016
3. Vegetables and stews:
The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. A woman who is getting married should know how to make delicious meals to keep her man; if she cannot cook him great meals, he would get swayed by other women who can. There are some vegetables that are indigenous to Nigeria.

Depending on what part of the country the woman hails from, she is expected to know how to cook two or more of these vegetables. Learning how to make Eba is not enough; the man would not eat the Eba with only water.  Also, she should be able to make stews that would be used to eat other foods.

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2016
4. Yam:
This is one of the food items that is presented when a man is paying a woman’s bride price. A Nigerian woman who cannot boil yam to an edible status would definitely not be able to pound yam.

Some ladies depend on eateries and their parents when it comes to food when they are married. We have heard tales of ladies who are constantly supplied vegetables and soups in their matrimonial homes because they cannot prepare them.

1 Like

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:09pm On Jul 06, 2016
5. Beans and bean products:
Most of the foods we eat in Nigeria are basically carbohydrates. Eating beans supplies us with the protein; a woman is expected to know how to make this food and also combine it with other meals like rice.

There are other meals that could be made using beans and a woman who is eligible for marriage is expected to know how to prepare these other meals.

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by bosschinalu(m): 4:10pm On Jul 06, 2016
OH MY....Am i really a Nigerian?
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:12pm On Jul 06, 2016
6. Other meals:
There are several other foods eaten by Nigerians, a woman is expected to know how to prepare the foods that are eaten by the people of her tribe and perhaps, some of the varieties of foods eaten by her fiancé’s.

The above food types cut across the tribes in Nigeria. It takes much more than making these foods to keep a man and build a home. Even women who are great cooks go out of their ways to learn how to make other meals.

https://www.naij.com/855791-6-foods-every-nigerian-woman-expected-know-cook.html

Cc: Lalasticlala

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 4:13pm On Jul 06, 2016
undecided I've noticed you.. You create sensible threads on Nairaland.. The Romance section precisely..

Here's an advice for your own good.. If you want to keep your sanity for all things right in this world.. LEAVE ROMANCE SECTION!

Btw.. You don't gatta make a List.. To be considered fit for marriage, you have to know how to cook everything!

And I mean Everything.. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by tizblink: 4:17pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:
undecided I've noticed you.. You create sensible threads on Nairaland.. The Romance section precisely..

Here's an advice for your own good.. If you want to keep your sanity for all things right in this world.. LEAVE ROMANCE SECTION!

Btw.. You don't gatta make a List.. To be considered fit for marriage, you have to know how to cook everything!

Lol grin
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:19pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:

No no, not everything
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 4:24pm On Jul 06, 2016
mizzbouqui:

No no, not everything
My Dear, if I'm interested in you and you don't know how to make crab stew with lobsters.. undecided

I'd lose interest... undecided

Do you know how to make crab stew with lobsters?? Do you know how to make kekefia with water snail? undecided

So.. Just keep learning em all just incase he makes a strange demand.. It's not everyday we like to eat eba, beans, yam, and all those conventional shït..

1 Like

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:
My Dear, if I'm interested in you and you don't know how to make crab stew with lobsters.. undecided

I'd lose interest... undecided

Do you know how to make crab stew with lobsters?? Do you know how to make kekefia with water snail? undecided

So.. Just keep learning em all just incase he makes a strange demand.. It's not everyday we like to eat eba, beans, yam, and all those conventional shït..
I'm talking about nigerian food
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by GoldenJAT(m): 4:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
very important thread.... no b just 2 de shout marriage up and down!

1 Like

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 4:28pm On Jul 06, 2016
mizzbouqui:

I'm talking about nigerian food
grin My dear.. I'm guessing you're not from the south..
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:
grin My dear.. I'm guessing you're not from the south..
I'm a yoruba lady, and that is why number 6 was included read it again for better understanding
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by Taiyescott(m): 4:41pm On Jul 06, 2016
cool, even as a guy i shud b able 2 cuk dix list of fudz so my wife wont b able 2 do shakara.. *Lol*
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 4:42pm On Jul 06, 2016
mizzbouqui:

I'm a yoruba lady, and that is why number 6 was included read it again for better understanding
smiley yoruba people barely cook anyways.. Soo..

Nuh uh.. I won't let you win this one..

I typed the same thing you copied to this place(number 6)

Wanna ask how?
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by ayooladee(f): 4:43pm On Jul 06, 2016
hmm ok angry
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:

Wanna ask how?
I don't get
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by dauntless15(m): 5:06pm On Jul 06, 2016
Now am hungraayyyy

1 Like

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by dauntless15(m): 5:08pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:

Wanna ask how?
boss come and join team princeakins we need ya kind o, makkidebbie has already joined us e remain you

1 Like

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by vicstar(m): 5:19pm On Jul 06, 2016
mizzbouqui:

baddest reply gringrin don't mind him, he's too lazy to read all wink
Anyway, nice write-up cool I pray they heed to it

2 Likes

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2016
dauntless15:
boss come and join team princeakins we need ya kind o, makkidebbie has already joined us e remain you
no thanks
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by onstelly(f): 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2016
I love to cook, so lemme be following this quietly

In btw I love the way they cut the plantain, guess I learn something new
Op nice one

1 Like

Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by SWITANN(f): 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:

I disagree with u obiora.
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2016
SWITANN:

I disagree with u obiora.
Okay.. Go on undecided
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by SWITANN(f): 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:
Okay.. Go on undecided

obi no one is perfect. I don't know what u mean by a woman should know how to cook everything, so I'll just assume. what if I come from a family that eats a certain type of food and I can cook those meals well does that mean I won't get married cos I can't cook all type of meals?
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 7:06pm On Jul 06, 2016
SWITANN:

obi no one is perfect. I don't know what u mean by a woman should know how to cook everything, so I'll just assume. what if I come from a family that eats a certain type of food and I can cook those meals well does that mean I won't get married cos I can't cook all type of meals?
If there's no room to learn.. You're not ready.
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by K9blunt(f): 7:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:

Can you cook....

Water? lipsrsealed
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by ClassCaptain(m): 7:28pm On Jul 06, 2016
I remembered the movie 30 days in atlanta..
The husband of the white woman who has turned to the wife kept saying...
I love cooking grin
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by obiorathesubtle: 8:39pm On Jul 06, 2016
K9blunt:

Can you cook....

Water? lipsrsealed
undecided can't even cook air, and I heard water is even more complicated
Re: 6 Foods Every Nigerian Woman Is Expected To Know How To Cook. by mizzbouqui(f): 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2016
obiorathesubtle:
undecided can't even cook air, and I heard water is even more complicated
And you expect ur gal to know aw to cook everything, I even have tym answering ur questions earlier on

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trapqueen---->all Your'z Miss...my Very Own Slice Of Originality. / Why Men Cant Find True Love / Things Woman Loves Most During Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.