Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,144 members, 7,811,218 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva (11877 Views)

EFCC Fails To Re-arraign Ex-Governor Sylva / Former Bayelsa Governor Sylva Remains In EFCC Custody / Factions Disagree Over Governor Sylva's Move To CPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 11:10am On Sep 12, 2009
SapeleGuy:

fibre optic vision or not, I beg don't turn this into an ethnic debate.

ethnic debate? HUH  

SapeleGuy:

You must know that the 80% statistic you quoted only applies in the Northern Nigeria.

On a serious note, a list of 'white elephant projects' in the country would be very educational.

Dude, I meant the whole country. White ELEPHANT Projects are NOT limited to the North. You just tried to justify waste in the name of progress, but you are not willing to apply the same reasoning to other white ELEPHANT projects out there, even those in the north? Sorry!! To be fair, you ought to be willing to apply the same thinking when it comes to projects that fit the description, no matter where they are located.

Governors are meant to be [size=13pt]civil servants[/size], not living in outrageously huge mansions such as the one in the video.  That the president is moved to ASO ROCK on election does not mean governors ought to be given the same luxury. Your justifying this in the way you have confirms the statement that Nigerians really do deserve the kind of leadership it has gotten so far.

There is no point in providing a list in a country where next to all projects have been sold, from the beginning, to the poeple in the name of creating revenue and jobs. However, years later, people are still waiting to see the revenue and jobs. In majority of the cases, the jobs created have been low quality and low level jobs for indigenes, while foreigners continue to bag the high level, high paying jobs. Plus, I don't think turning this into a debate on what constitutes a white elephant project and what does not will get us anywhere. I would rather we accept that we do not see eye to eye on this sort of spending.

The article you cite there does not in any way make sense of gloryland, neither does not provide justification for such spending on government house. It remains unacceptable, and I can bet that, if voted on, majority of the poeple in the state would rather then money be spent elsewhere, like on improving the quality of education and providing job training for indigenes.

I remember walking up to the a house back some years ago to ask for water to drink on a hot summer afternoon. This was just an ordinary house with a white picket fence in a decent neighborhood. The woman of the house was outside, and on the ground tending to her garden when we walked up to them. Nice woman too. She ran in to get us some bottled water and made sure to bring us extra for our journey. As we walked away, my uncle announced to me that that was the governor's house and the woman outside was his wife. I was both shocked and in awe of how ordinary the house and the woman seemed. How many governor's in Nigeria can live in such a way?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 11:17am On Sep 12, 2009
Kobojunkie -  I was being ironic in the sense that 80% poverty, if you are to believe the statistics only occurs in the north.

It seems that ethnicity is the new swear word on Nairaland.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 11:21am On Sep 12, 2009
It is not really a swear word but it is apparent that we have people who are consumed by it and would do all to make it all about ethnicity rather than deal with truth in issues presented.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by agitator: 12:12pm On Sep 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

It is not really a swear word but it is apparent that we have people who are consumed by it and would do all to make it all about ethnicity rather than deal with truth in issues presented.

I don't know why you always waste your time trying to talk sense into sycophants who just have a single view - their masters.

I asked a simple question. how is CNN divingdividing and ruling? no concrete answer and you are still wasting your time with such person.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Gamine(f): 12:19pm On Sep 12, 2009
hahahaha.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by babonboard(f): 1:01pm On Sep 12, 2009
ohhhhhhhhhhhh wat a great shame, now tell me why wont sony ridicule our nation in their advert.
see the stupid baboon trying to impress oyinbo journalist wen that one they laff am inwardly.
He could have use just a bit of that money to do something worthwile see him trying to show off his 'crib' as if it was his sweat.
I just hope and pray our leaders see things from the poor man's point of view one day.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by na2day2(m): 3:24pm On Sep 12, 2009
what exactly is wrong with having a governor's mansion? would CNN rather it be a hut?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by ono(m): 3:26pm On Sep 12, 2009
My grand dad owns some properties at the Biogbolo-Epie end of Yenagoa. We should celebrate whatever development project (white or black elephant, green or blue) we have in Bayelsa State.

Up until the coming of Alamieyeseigha in 1999, Yenagoa was nothing but a very poor struggling town/state capital of Bayelsa. Today, when I drive through the very dangerous East-West road leading to Warri enroute Benin, and sometimes I branch off at Mbiama to see what's going on at grandpa's yard, I thank my God for the good things I see around Yenagoa today. It may not be like what obtains in Abuja or Lagos, but I tell you all, most people are satisfied with what they see in Yenagoa. Goodies will spread with time to other places in the state.

Now, to the CNN video. I really don't know what CNN is up to. But I will support Sylva's stride to make the world know that what we have in Yenagoa is not a concentration of swampy abode of militants and bunkerers, but a place where humans live and can do business.

Timipre Sylva should not be ashamed of anything. The people who should be ashamed of themselves are the people of the major ethnic nationality of this country who prey on the resources of the minority ethnic group of the country for their own selfish gains and development. Some folks worry that the wealth in Sylva's state did not trickle down to the common man in Yenagoa. Let them worry the more about the poor in their own state. Their case is like that of someone who has a log in his eyes and is worrying about the small speck in another's eye.

Sylva should hold his head high and be a proud Ijaw man anywhere. He should flaunt what proceeds he's got from what nature has blessed his state with.

Keep showing them what your state have got, Gov. Sylva. Keep it up.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2009
ono:

Timipre Sylva should not be ashamed of anything. The people who should be ashamed of themselves are the people of the major ethnic nationality of this country who prey on the resources of the minority ethnic group of the country for their own selfish gains and development. Some folks worry that the wealth in Sylva's state did not trickle down to the common man in Yenagoa. Let them worry the more about the poor in their own state. Their case is like that of someone who has a log in his eyes and is worrying about the small speck in another's eye.

Kobojunkie:

Ever notice how the selling points for every single White Elephant project in Nigeria, especially in areas where 80% of the population live in poverty, is that the projects will generate revenue and create jobs with no DETAIL provided on how this will happen. And most have no risk plans in place, should things not go as planned. As soon as that happens, the attention is immediately diverted either to the paralyzed state of things at the federal level or some imagined diabolical plan by some ethnic group to undermine progress at all cost.

I said it!
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by keyremotes(m): 3:57pm On Sep 12, 2009
[size=28pt]This what happens when people who DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA
OF WHAT LEADERSHIP is.

ARRANT NONSENSE!![/size]
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by ono(m): 4:11pm On Sep 12, 2009
Kobo,
You and I are long time members of NL. And I try very often not to join issues with you. Last time our paths crossed is some 2 years or so ago.

Considering what you have up there, I'll say your write up is irrelevant to what we're talking about here.

Is the situation of things at the Federal level not paralysed enough? Did I say anything about diabolical influence or something similar to that in Bayelsa? More than 80% of whatever ''development'' you see in other places in Nigeria today have their roots on the proceeds of the sale of resources in Niger Delta Area.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 4:22pm On Sep 12, 2009
ono:

Kobo,
You and I are long time members of NL. And I try very often not to join issues with you. Last time our paths crossed is some 2 years or so ago.

Considering what you have up there, I'll say your write up is irrelevant to what we're talking about here.

Is the situation of things at the Federal level not paralysed enough? Did I say anything about diabolical influence or something similar to that in Bayelsa? More than 80% of whatever ''development'' you see in other places in Nigeria today have their roots on the proceeds of the sale of resources in Niger Delta Area.

You claim it is not relevant, yet you continue to express views that support the post. Again, Bayelsa has millions to use for development if it wants, regardless of the millions it does not current get. Yet we do not see extensive use of the available millions for local developments that actually impact the people positive. What we have are, on the most part, huge projects that are in my opinion, just more white elephant, uneeded at this time projects, while the masses continue to live foot to mouth wondering what the future holds.

Coming here to claim that the reason why things are the way they are in that state is because bayelsa does not get 100% of all the money from it's land is ludicrous at best. What is the state currently doing with the little it has? Excellent things or just the same old nonsense? Why is the federal to blame for this?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by agitator: 4:36pm On Sep 12, 2009
It's pathetic to hear the same song, over and over again. Previously it was the oil companies are not doing anything now it is the federal government. I am sorry to say this but for the past 9 years I've been in Bayelsa, I have not seen any project by the Local governments, yet they also get allocations. Now the state is crying it's because all the money doesn't come to the state. I AM TIRED OF ALL THIS LAME EXCUSES.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by dumbledore: 4:38pm On Sep 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Yet we do not see extensive use of the available millions for local developments that actually impact the people positive. What we have are, on the most part, huge projects that are in my opinion, just more white elephant, uneeded at this time projects, while the masses continue to live foot to mouth wondering what the future holds.

Can I ask when you last went to Yenagoa to see things for yourself? I was there last August. And as an eye witness, who knows what the place looked like in 1999 and now, 2009, I can say I am pleased with what I saw. What say you?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Sep 12, 2009
Oh please, tell us  stories of developments in yenogoa!!! Those of us who have not been in the state or through it for years would like to know how well things are in the state now. Better still, we would love to hear stories of how state money has gone to bettering the lives of millions of people in the society. Please include information on how this GLORY CASTLE has helped improve the lives of the locals. And I do hope that this will not be another session to regale us with stories how YOUR EYES HAVE SEEN NICE THINGS, and how that translates into development. Remember, all that glitters is not gold.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by cap28: 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2009
My grand dad owns some properties at the Biogbolo-Epie end of Yenagoa. We should celebrate whatever development project (white or black elephant, green or blue) we have in Bayelsa State.

why should the vast numbers of indigenous people living in that region celebrate the construction of a useless white elephant project which will serve no useful purpose to their everyday lives

Up until the coming of Alamieyeseigha in 1999, Yenagoa was nothing but a very poor struggling town/state capital of Bayelsa. Today, when I drive through the very dangerous East-West road leading to Warri enroute Benin, and sometimes I branch off at Mbiama to see what's going on at grandpa's yard, I thank my God for the good things I see around Yenagoa today. It may not be like what obtains in Abuja or Lagos, but I tell you all, most people are satisfied with what they see in Yenagoa. Goodies will spread with time to other places in the state.

why cant you get your priorities right how has the erection of these worthless structures helped people in that area - correct me if im wrong but i thought mans no one priority was food, clothing , shelter  and education have all these primary requirements been provided by the govt of bayelsa to their indigenous people? and since the roads are so dangerous couldnt the money used on this building have been used instead on the roads?

when are these "goodies" going to trickle down? before or after the oil has run out

Now, to the CNN video. I really don't know what CNN is up to. But I will support Sylva's stride to make the world know that what we have in Yenagoa is not a concentration of swampy abode of militants and bunkerers, but a place where humans live and can do business.

let me get this right CNN are wrong for exposing the conspicuous display of stolen wealth by a man who is supposed to be serving the people and Sylva is right for pompously showing off his opulent and luxurious residence for the whole world to see despite the fact that just a few miles down the road his people are living in grinding poverty and the ones who are courageous enough to speak out against it are brutally murdered, raped and maimed for doing so.

Sylva should hold his head high and be a proud Ijaw man anywhere. He should flaunt what proceeds he's got from what nature has blessed his state with.

Keep showing them what your state have got, Gov. Sylva. Keep it up.

okay so Sylva is exempt from blame despite the fact that he is raping the economy along with his hausa fulani cronies in the north.  

You seem to be looking at nigeria as if its not one country and as if we're not entitled to criticise him for doing what his northern masters are doing - last time i checked nigeria was still one country.

i can see that you have no understanding as to who a true leader is, your expectations are so low that it is no suprise that people like Sylva take people like you for a ride over and over again.

Here is a man who shows a total lack of respect for his people and is instead more concerned about showing off a lavish mansion to the foreign press, he is so blinded by his ignorance and corruption he cant even see that he is making a complete fool of himself  and here you are praising him - dont complain when you find yourself being driven off your land in order to make way for Sylva  and his cronies when he decides to collude with multinationals to build more useless white elephant projects.  if you think this wont happen remember maroko near lagos, also look at zimbabwe, south africa and most of the south american countries,today its oil , tommorrow when that dries up it will be your land.

[quote][/quote]
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by ono(m): 5:32pm On Sep 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh please, tell us  stories of developments in yenogoa!!! Those of us who have not been in the state or through it for years would like to know how well things are in the state now. Better still, we would love to hear stories of how state money has gone to bettering the lives of millions of people in the society. Please include information on how this GLORY CASTLE has helped improve the lives of the locals. And I do hope that this will not be another session to regale us with stories how YOUR EYES HAVE SEEN NICE THINGS, and how that translates into development. Remember, all that glitters is not gold.

The taste of pudding is in the eating. Come to Yenagoa and see things for yourself. End of talk for you.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 5:44pm On Sep 12, 2009
ono:

The taste of pudding is in the eating. Come to Yenagoa and see things for yourself. End of talk for you.

But how come all across of Nigeria, over 90% of the population continue to starve of this pudding, even in Bayelsa. I have asked now for some details on how this particular venture HAS HELPED the state since it was built. I mean the man himself tells you that the public WILL HAVE TO PAY to come see it, let alone TASTE IT. So, if this is meant to help the public but the public has to PAY to use it, how does this help the poor who have to pay to access it? And of what good will this glory castle be to them? What use is any of the other projects to them? I can definitely say this project DOES NOT promote LOCAL ART, CULTURE or ARCHITECTURE, so we can scratch that one off of the list right now.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by wills(m): 9:35pm On Sep 12, 2009
They don’t just lie under oaths these so called Governors and leadership In Nigeria, They still do it on International TV.
How can this Black hat wearing man of a Governor say the entire earning of Bayelsa state is 30Million Dollars (USD). What Rubbish, Common now Mr Timi. That’s a Lie from the pit of Hell.
And also what’s it with the star of David thing, utter nonsense and absolute fetish juju right in Government house, Talking about ,walking around it seven times and make a wish, that easy, how come he can’t wish the militancy away. Make a wish indeed. Looking at him acting like a youngster showing off his new bike to the CNN reporter.
Dear NLanders, its Government like this and people of these sorts we all as Nigerian must do all we can to see there is a Change in leadership. From the local government to the federal level and across all tier of Government.

Mr Timi is not alone in this foolishly proud attitude of wasting scare resources, this same scenario can be painted in the other 35 states, including, Aso rock.
How come he chose to use this so called castle as the intended model for the state capital development, why not build the state capital and then model the Governors lodge to what is obtainable in the larger City, I thought in his manifesto he said the people comes 1st.

Dear People of NL, as we all post and share our disdain and also for the few that support Mr Silva, lets know this that unless we, each of us, do whatever we can, when we can. The status quo will remain. Let’s start now to get actively outspoken against Party Politics, and be ready to defend the enthronement of a Purposeful ,Passionate and Righteous leadership come 2011.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 11:43pm On Sep 12, 2009
Nobody is saying that some governors have not  misappropriated or mismanaged projects or funds.
Nobody is saying that the poor should be ignored in Bayelsa
What we are saying is that this poverty is not an excuse for their state house to look like 'mama basira's buka'.

Indian poverty is on a nightmare scale compared to us, 500 million people live on less than $1 a day but they are still building monuments.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6823406.ece

There is always going to be a more worthy cause to spend the money on but some times you need to set an aspirational target for your people, celebrate their heroes. Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben fill their citizens with pride. It shows that we can do it.

Where are our aspirational targets in Nigeria?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by mustafar1: 11:53pm On Sep 12, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Nobody is saying that some governors have not  misappropriated or mismanaged projects or funds.
What we are saying is that this poverty is not an excuse for their state house to look like 'mama basira's buka'.

Indian poverty is on a nightmare scale compared to us, 500 million people live on less than $1 a day but they are still building monuments.

There is always going to be a more worthy cause to spend the money on but some times you need to set an aspirational target for your people, celebrate their heroes. Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben fill their citizens with pride. It shows that we can do it.

so what hero is this glorytime castle celebrating? Alamskosko the thief or Goodluck the opportunist? if you didnt notice all those you listed are simply tourist attractions and not their governors or presidents lodge. if it had been something along the touristy line now we for fit justify this project but its not yet you insist on calling a spade a spoon for us. if the project had been the bayelsa state assembly u for get better point.

u add a link to some indian project to justify or backup ur argument. i assume you didnt read the text that accompanied the picture of the monument because if it clear even to a blind person who reads a brail verson of said text that there are people who think the project is a waste of money. even in their own case they have something to justify building it(its meant to be a tourist attraction which would help raise money on the long term like the Taj Mahal, Statue of liberty,et all) but in the case of what u r trying to justify it is a governors lodge and a fantasy of a corrupt past governor.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 12:20am On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Hmmmm. . . .  So, you are saying it is OK for Bayelsa to spend outrageous amounts of money on the state house? How? You still haven’t answered that bit of it all.  What excuse is there then for PUBLIC SERVANTS TO SPEND ridiculous sums building enormous MCMANSIONS/structures? There is State house and then there is MCMANSION. This would be classified as MCMANSION  . . .  in fact, this sort of left to millionaires and billionaires, not to those in government or for the state to spend it’s time on. How many offices did you see in that building by the way?

SapeleGuy:

The Indian government is responsible for building these monuments OR the private citizens and internationals? Which?

SapeleGuy:

Eiffel Tower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower

The structure was built between 1887 and 1889 as the entrance arch for the Exposition Universelle, a World's Fair marking the centennial celebration of the French Revolution. Eiffel originally planned to build the tower in Barcelona, for the Universal Exposition of 1888, but those responsible at the Barcelona city hall thought it was a strange and expensive construction, which did not fit into the design of the city. After the refusal of the Consistory of Barcelona, Eiffel submitted his draft to those responsible for the Universal Exhibition in Paris, where he would build his tower a year later, in 1889. The tower was inaugurated on 31 March 1889, and opened on 6 May.

Statue of Liberty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty
The Statue of Liberty (French: Statue de la Liberté), officially titled Liberty Enlightening the World (French: La liberté éclairant le monde), is a monument that was presented by the people of France to the United States of America in 1886 to celebrate its centennial. Standing on Liberty Island in New York Harbor, it welcomes visitors, immigrants, and returning Americans traveling by ship.[

Big Ben

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ben

A clock tower was built at Westminster in 1288, with the fine-money of Ralph Hengham, Chief Justice of the King's Bench.[6][7]
The present tower was raised as a part of Charles Barry's design for a new palace, after the old Palace of Westminster was destroyed by fire on the night of 22 October 1834.

Ok!!! Now that we have information to work with here, can you please explain to us, how this Gloryland castle serves as aspirational target  for the people of bayelsa, considering the structure, the use of it, and the fact that it is not even open to the public as the governor makes clear in the video.

Of what good it is to them when a) the structure does not in any way promote any local art or culture and certainly not architecture b) neither does it showcase any thing NIGERIAN except for the level of GREED obtained at government level? I mean what exactly do the people gain from this apart from the usual reason which seems to be that “ IT LOOKS GOOD TO THE EYES, AND THAT MEANS A LOT”.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 1:02am On Sep 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Hmmmm. . . .  So, you are saying it is OK for Bayelsa to spend outrageous amounts of money on the state house? How? You still haven’t answered that bit of it all.  What excuse is there then for PUBLIC SERVANTS TO SPEND ridiculous sums building enormous MCMANSIONS/structures? There is State house and then there is MCMANSION. This would be classified as MCMANSION  . . .  in fact, this sort of left to millionaires and billionaires, not to those in government or for the state to spend it’s time on. How many offices did you see in that building by the way?

Personally, I believe the building is not big enough and its architectural merit could have been stronger. They should have built the tallest builing in Nigeria.

Kobojunkie:

The Indian government is responsible for building these monuments OR the private citizens and internationals? Which?
Maharashtra state government

Kobojunkie:

Eiffel Tower
Statue of Liberty
Big Ben
Ok!!! Now that we have information to work with here, can you please explain to us, how this Gloryland castle serves as aspirational target  for the people of bayelsa, considering the structure, the use of it, and the fact that it is not even open to the public as the governor makes clear in the video.

He did say the public could come in for a fee.

Kobojunkie:

Of what good it is to them when a) the structure does not in any way promote any local art or culture and certainly not architecture b) neither does it showcase any thing NIGERIAN except for the level of GREED obtained at government level? I mean what exactly do the people gain from this apart from the usual reason which seems to be that “ IT LOOKS GOOD TO THE EYES, AND THAT MEANS A LOT”.

It is not in Abuja or Lagos but in Bayelsa
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 1:14am On Sep 13, 2009
Why do I suddenly feel I am chatting with ~Sauron~ ( not trying to insult anyone here ooo) Roflmao!!!

So, in your reasoning, the Maharastra government decision to spend 125 million dollars, of state money, on a monument is justification enough for the state of bayelsa, which does not even get 1/20th of the influx of revenue from externals that Mumbai can boast of, and not even 1/50th of exposure that the city of Mumbai gets, to spend millions on a McMansion, and you are suggesting that the state build it bigger?

Yes, the public, over 80% of whom have a hard time already feeding self, would have to pay a fee to see what their money was being spent on, rather than to help ease their situation.
SapeleGuy:

It is not in Abuja or Lagos but in Bayelsa
And this makes it better how?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 1:46am On Sep 13, 2009
I believe in equality, if it is good enough for Abuja or Lagos. Then it is good enough for Bayelsa.

On the issue of poverty, go to Ajegunle, tell Fashola to stop what he is doing and repair the jungle first. Not practical, is it?

Now, on this issue Sylva and co, by their actions may well prove me wrong, all I am saying is that we should allow the project to be a success or a failure before castigating him.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 2:18am On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

I believe in equality, if it is good enough for Abuja or Lagos. Then it is good enough for Bayelsa.

Who decides then that what is good enough for Abuja is good enough for Bayelsa? Shouldn’t the people be consulted in this somehow? I bet you the boy in the video would opt to have that money spent on bettering the life of his family, and educating him instead, rather than on a mcmansion just for the sake of having one,that he may never be able to afford to see.

By the way, are states to now compete in number of WHITE ELEPHANT PROJECTS? Is that the answer to development, embarking on massive projects all in the name of being able to boast of them, not making sure we have our priorities right first?

SapeleGuy:

On the issue of poverty, go to Ajegunle, tell Fashola to stop what he is doing and repair the jungle first. Not practical, is it?
If you are trying to make this into some sort of ethno-regional debate, may I ask that you not? Fashola gets criticism, loads on the many projects he has embarked on, and is involved in. The situation is different, I have to admit, because majority of the projects, white-elephant and not, in Lagos are NOT publicly funded, but from private funds.
So, if you want to compare this situation to what is obtained in Lagos, at least do so honestly. Lagos happens to be the number one state in that country BURDENED with a huge population, not enough funds to manage them all, and not enough resources to boast of.
Bayelsa on the other hand seems to get a good amount of money from the federal (yeah, yeah, I know it is oil money at the end of the day), and DOES NOT suffer the population burden that lagos has to deal with. Bayelsa does not have the same level of investment from the private sector and so I see no reason why PUBLIC funds need to be spent on a MCMANSION project when the state still suffers hugely in the BASICS.

SapeleGuy:

Now, on this issue Sylva and co, by their actions may well prove me wrong, all I am saying is that we should allow the project to be a success or a failure before castigating him.

No one here is holding, or has the power to hold the project back or from succeeding or failing. We are free to castigate him especially for the level of spending and the future plans to expand on what is clearly a ridiculous show of greed our leaders possess and the disregard they have for the people. There is absolutely no justification for this. We have a proverb that urges we cut our coats according to our own size.  That Lagos, Abuja and Mumbai does not make it right, and certainly DOES NOT mean we SHOULD do it too. We have to consider our situation, priorities, and status before we embark on any project.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by mustafar1: 2:34am On Sep 13, 2009
this sapele guy no go kill me o. what is good for the goose is good for the gander? no wonder the state governor is on TV advertising the government house.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Beaf: 3:20am On Sep 13, 2009
Reading through so many posts here, it is obvious that a lot of people are either ignorant of the ND and oil or just hate ND people.
Personally, I hope to believe it is just ignorance. That building has nothing to do with oil issues.
When ND is dicussed by the UN, NGO's and in diplomatic circles, state govts are not mentioned. They have no say.

Anyone who is in the grey about oil issues can begin here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Oil_Crisis
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by illusion2: 11:42am On Sep 13, 2009
I thnk this argument is getting ridiculous angry.

Justifying the embarrassment this mumu governor has brought upon Bayelsa & Nigeria is insulting to our collective intelligence.

Even more bizarre is the move to make this an ethnic/regional issue.

I watched 'CNN Backstory' that day & you could see the sarcasm in the voice of the CNN presenter.

The gov apart from the 'Star of David' slip even said he was inviting fellow citizens to join him in a game of golf !!!! shocked shocked shocked, to which the presenter very few could feed themselves let alone buy golf clubs.

Progress is not measured by gigantic buildings ,but basic human indices - clothing,feeding,shelther,education,health.

If the gov is confident he has achieved high scores in BHI in bayelsa,then by all means he should embark on such nonesense. Becos someone did it in India ,doesn't mean we have to do it here in Nigeria. tongue
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by debosky(m): 11:58am On Sep 13, 2009
Roman amphitheatre when students go to school under trees. . . elaborate fountains when children don't have clean drinking water. . . .18 hole golf courses when viable agriculture is being neglected.

And he is proud to show it off? 20 billion naira - imagine how many water projects or school renovations that could have carried out. Imagine the number of health centres and medical personnel that could have paid for.

@ Beaf

you must be a clown if you think state governments are not involved - he said the state earned $30m a month - don't you realise that even that 'small' amount can cause a dramatic change in the lives of the state dwellers if used properly??

SapeleGuy:

Erm. . . correct me if I am wrong, but there is no Gloryland Castle worth 20b in Lagos or Abuja is there? Neither is there an elaborate 'roman amphi theatre' built behind the govefnment house in either location?

With 'supporters' like you, Sylva and co will continue to waste the meagre resources of the Delta while the people continue to suffer. As I've always said, the biggest problem of the ND is the management of their state government resources. If they could get that right, there would be so much more support for resource control.

The project has failed already in case you didn't realise it - virtually 80% of Bayelsans are too poor to afford to visit the castle and associated facilities. If people in the state do not come, do you expect outsiders to come with the threat of kidnapping?
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by SapeleGuy: 1:36pm On Sep 13, 2009
Abuja is spending N257 Billion on a 10 lane expressway - Abuja contributes zero to the national economy. How can you justify that amount of money.

You guys should try constructive and evidence based criticism. I can't condemn people without evidence.

Bayelsa have built a 500 bed hospital, and 25 health centres, an international conference centre which is currently on the 18th floor of construction, before 2007 only 3 of the 8 local government areas were accessible by road, they have built 140km of roads to address this.

All of this in 2 years. If this was Fashola - some of you would be having orgasms. Did Fashola and Tinubu not buy a $20 million yacht which is now rusting in the harbour? What have you people said about that.
Re: CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva by Kobojunkie: 1:46pm On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Abuja is spending N257 Billion on a 10 lane expressway - Abuja contributes zero to the national economy. How can you justify that amount of money.

You guys should try constructive and evidence based criticism. I can't condemn people without evidence.

Bayelsa have built a 500 bed hospital, and 25 health centres, an international conference centre which is currently on the 18th floor of construction, before 2007 only 3 of the 8 local government areas were accessible by road, they have built 140km of roads to address this.

All of this in 2 years. If this was Fashola - some of you would be having orgasms. Did Fashola and Tinubu not buy a $20 million yacht which is now rusting in the harbour? What have you people said about that.

Kobojunkie:

By the way, are states to now compete in number of WHITE ELEPHANT PROJECTS? Is that the answer to development, embarking on massive projects all in the name of being able to boast of them, not making sure we have our priorities right first?

Bayelsa on the other hand seems to get a good amount of money from the federal (yeah, yeah, I know it is oil money at the end of the day), and DOES NOT suffer the population burden that lagos has to deal with. Bayelsa does not have the same level of investment from the private sector and so I see no reason why PUBLIC funds need to be spent on a MCMANSION project when the state still suffers hugely in the BASICS.

That Lagos, Abuja and Mumbai does not make it right, and certainly DOES NOT mean we SHOULD do it too. We have to consider our situation, priorities, and status before we embark on any project.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Magu: APC Leaders Meet Over Presidency, National Assembly Crisis / 2019: APC, PDP Face Cash Crunch For Campaigns / Sultan Hails Buhari’s Re-election, Urges Atiku To Accept Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.