Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,327 members, 7,954,322 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:38 PM

Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? (11073 Views)

How Do You Ask Your Boss About A Pay Raise? / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by IMASTEX: 10:41pm On Jul 09, 2016
It depends
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by EazyMoh(m): 10:44pm On Jul 09, 2016
Depends on how soon you think you can get another job if he eventually fire you!

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by bukalis(m): 10:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
Are you a salary earner? Live and work in Lagos or Abuja??
Get a loan from us today (No collateral needed, No guarantors, No need to move salary account, No hidden or management charges, quick loan disbursements within 24hrs) with 4% interest rate to settle bad credit or build a home, do business or finance to buy a car. @ ONE FINANCE Loan firm www.one-cred.com is the answer to all your financial problems. Email or call us now for more details: Bukalis125@gmail.com 07039540826 08174449046 No. 1224 Bishop Oluwole street, Victoria Island, Lagos. You will be glad you did.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by biggie73(m): 11:09pm On Jul 09, 2016
Let your boss be aware of your Master degree programme intention. If he is against it, does stop believing in yourself.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by murphyrichy(m): 11:10pm On Jul 09, 2016
Mbkite:
I want to commence my M.Sc programme very soon and I know it's definitely going to affect my job a little. I'm worried my boss may not grant me the privilege to run it, if I should inform him. My question is - Should I make my intention known to him or should I just ignore him and move on with the programme and face whatever comes out?
Nairalanders, who have been in my shoes I seriously need your input.

don't tell him yet until your lectures are fixed properly, I don't know ur dept but its not a must you attend lectures. when you start you see your like minds. If you are lucky and your course mates are the working type, you guys can fix it once a week. That's how I did mine without hitches.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by biggie73(m): 11:12pm On Jul 09, 2016
Mbkite:

thanx bro. I just feel he should know. maybe just maybe he would encourage me.
...why seek for folks input since you already know what you want?
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by DucheSsMerezz(f): 12:39am On Jul 10, 2016
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Leokhennie: 12:58am On Jul 10, 2016
I will advice u inform ur boss abt ur program and hear his view too. I did d same when I was going for my Msc and that gave me an edge and morale to come back and retain my formal position even after months of off work. Wish u d best bro
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by adeboolusegun(m): 1:03am On Jul 10, 2016
Wao...this is a nice post.
In last 3 months I was in your shoes and was tough for me to make a straight decision. I got a job at experiential marketing agency as a data analyst under 6 months probation. Although I studied Agricultural extension and rural development but the knowledge of final year research and Research methodology and personal development in data helped me a lot. To cut the story short, I had already registered for the master even before service ended and I had one organisation that was ready to give me 200k for the program due to some analysis I did on a project during my nysc in Niger state.(VSO IMA4P). I got a job after I returned to Lagos and after a week I got admitted for my MPhil program in ife. seriously it is not an easy decision to make. Do I go for masters and drop the job or vise versa. Am on probation remember for 6 month before staffing. At last, I explained to my boss and he glandly told me to combine the two. this was his statement... common guy...scholarship is an opportunity don't miss it. You are an analyst and u have proved your worth...we will send you data through mail...analyze and send back to us... You can only visit work when necessary. Don't miss the opportunity. He knew I wanted to go into lecturing so he saw d passion for academics in me. I deliver greatly in my job with no complain so he backed me up. Although am a consultant to his plantain plantation. Neglect typos...ba3 low...no edit.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Osmondinho(m): 1:04am On Jul 10, 2016
Tell him @ ur own discretion
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by seunoni34(m): 1:05am On Jul 10, 2016
murphyrichy:
don't tell him yet until your lectures are fixed properly, I don't know ur dept but its not a must you attend lectures. when you start you see your like minds. If you are lucky and your course mates are the working type, you guys can fix it once a week. That's how I did mine without hitches.
Thank you for this. I'm in a similar situation but mine is unilag. Just secretly praying he gives me a go ahead

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by DedeNkem: 1:40am On Jul 10, 2016
I hate seeing people giving terrible advice!

If you know in your heart that it will affect your job in some way, then tell him so that you two can arrange some kind adjustment that will benefit you both.

But if you know that it won't affect your job in any way, then don't tell him.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by luckman20(m): 6:00am On Jul 10, 2016
queencalipso:

Lolzz!!! But no one forced you to bring your issue to nl. What do you expect when one makes his personal life public.

People are so annoying this days!!! A simple decision that they can make on their own, they will carry come nl.

Op!!! Na you know your boss! So no one here can tell whether telling him will be right or wrong but you alone. You know his behaviour.

You're mean jor! tongue tongue

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 10, 2016
AheadMarket:
What is wrong with people? Msc for what? Nigerian economy could care less if you do PhD. Bend down, focus on ur job. Build ur life... undecided
Mchew!

You need to understand that we want different things in life.

Plus I never knew I need a job to build a life.

Stick to what works for you and don't think the world give a bleep about what you thing.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by mira4u: 7:00am On Jul 10, 2016
Mbkite:
I want to commence my M.Sc programme very soon and I know it's definitely going to affect my job a little. I'm worried my boss may not grant me the privilege to run it, if I should inform him. My question is - Should I make my intention known to him or should I just ignore him and move on with the programme and face whatever comes out?
Nairalanders, who have been in my shoes I seriously need your input.

Inform him. If he's someone who wants efficiency he'll encourage you.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by deltateam: 7:02am On Jul 10, 2016
mdokaba1:
It all boils down on his stands on schooling while working, cos I currently work under a boss that sees that as a * TABOO* How pathetic tho!

Btw, if the lectures time table does not conflict with your job, then I advice you dont tell him, cos some naija Bosses and jealousy na 5 n 6.

Is there no school that has weekend or evening programs for Msc? Just asking.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by deltateam: 7:07am On Jul 10, 2016
Mbkite:

thanx bro. I just feel he should know. maybe just maybe he would encourage me.

Lol. So that you will be bigger than him and start rubbing shoulders with him? You are on a loooooong tin.

Before you tell him, make sure you already have enough savings to foot your program and that you can cope with joblessness during that period and that you will find a job easily after finishing.

If you have a trusted buddy that has been on the job longer than you, you may ask him about your boss attitude to that before getting your whole feet wet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Harinholar(f): 7:33am On Jul 10, 2016
Johnsinia:
if you do not like this post, I do and am sure many nairalanders and visitors do. And let me tell you, the smallest thing you think is small can be a big issue for others. Am 100% sure that a primary pupil can educate you on some things you do not know.
....Tor

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by hardbody: 8:42am On Jul 10, 2016
mdokaba1:
It all boils down on his stands on schooling while working, cos I currently work under a boss that sees that as a * TABOO* How pathetic tho!

Btw, if the lectures time table does not conflict with your job, then I advice you dont tell him, cos some naija Bosses and jealousy na 5 n 6.

This about summarises it. My employer has a policy that will even support you and in some instances you get refunds, provided your job does not suffer. However where an employer sees your self development in a negative light, try and do it without his knowledge but be sure that you won't present the certificate for accelerated promotion when you are done and also have it at the back of your mind that the day he finds out, you may be booted out ignominiously.

All the best in your quest for self development.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by preciousMI1(f): 9:35am On Jul 10, 2016
Mbkite:

Unizik

have they started selling the form for 2016/2017 session. I'm interested in furthering in pub health... abeg give me Info. which state do u work. can I contact u?
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by lollmaolol(m): 11:24am On Jul 10, 2016
Who knows, your boss might even sponsor you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 11:26am On Jul 10, 2016
adeboolusegun:
Wao...this is a nice post.
In last 3 months I was in your shoes and was tough for me to make a straight decision. I got a job at experiential marketing agency as a data analyst under 6 months probation. Although I studied Agricultural extension and rural development but the knowledge of final year research and Research methodology and personal development in data helped me a lot. To cut the story short, I had already registered for the master even before service ended and I had one organisation that was ready to give me 200k for the program due to some analysis I did on a project during my nysc in Niger state.(VSO IMA4P). I got a job after I returned to Lagos and after a week I got admitted for my MPhil program in ife. seriously it is not an easy decision to make. Do I go for masters and drop the job or vise versa. Am on probation remember for 6 month before staffing. At last, I explained to my boss and he glandly told me to combine the two. this was his statement... common guy...scholarship is an opportunity don't miss it. You are an analyst and u have proved your worth...we will send you data through mail...analyze and send back to us... You can only visit work when necessary. Don't miss the opportunity. He knew I wanted to go into lecturing so he saw d passion for academics in me. I deliver greatly in my job with no complain so he backed me up. Although am a consultant to his plantain plantation. Neglect typos...ba3 low...no edit.
Thank so much
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 11:35am On Jul 10, 2016
preciousMI1:

have they started selling the form for 2016/2017 session. I'm interested in furthering in pub health... abeg give me Info. which state do u work. can I contact u?
it's by August. Drop ur number or mail address, I wil contact u.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by ogashman(m): 11:48am On Jul 10, 2016
it depends....I think letting him know might create that feeling of jealousy that would make him make life miserable for u in the office.but if u think otherwise then go ahead and let him know

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2016
Op, this is a very serious case ooo in which may factors are and should be considered. I was faced with similar situation to decide.
You have to consider:
1. Nature of your job:- is there possibility of you being transferred to another part of the country?
2. Your location relative to the school.
3. Can you foot the bill of the program me should the job not be there again?
4. Your effectiveness in the job with the masters too.
5. what you want to graduate with at the end of the day. Etc.
.....I wish I could do it, but I couldn't continue with the MSc at a point due to the cost to me. I just pray that the factors will Favour you.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by preciousMI1(f): 3:29pm On Jul 10, 2016
Mbkite:
it's by August. Drop ur number or mail address, I wil contact u.
mykkynykky@yahoo.com abeg contact me asap send me ur number mbok.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 3:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
preciusly:
Op, this is a very serious case ooo in which may factors are and should be considered. I was faced with similar situation to decide.
You have to consider:
1. Nature of your job:- is there possibility of you being transferred to another part of the country?
2. Your location relative to the school.
3. Can you foot the bill of the program me should the job not be there again?
4. Your effectiveness in the job with the masters too.
5. what you want to graduate with at the end of the day. Etc.
.....I wish I could do it, but I couldn't continue with the MSc at a point due to the cost to me. I just pray that the factors will Favour you.
Thanx bro. God bless you.
Re: Is It Advisable To Inform My Boss About My Intention Of Starting M.sc Programme? by Mbkite(m): 7:10pm On Jul 10, 2016
preciousMI1:

mykkynykky@yahoo.com abeg contact me asap send me ur number mbok.
I will get back to you my mail is giving me wahala.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Police Dismiss 9 Police Officers & Demotes 25 Over Corruption / Nigerian Staff Sue Virgin Atlantic Airways For N5bn / A Career As A Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.