Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc - Foreign Affairs (598) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc (985175 Views)

President Zuma Had Telephonic Discussions With President Trump / Photos: Heavy U.S Military Equipments Arrives Germany Against Russian. / @elbinawi Tweets On International Qudsday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) ... (667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by SuperSixSeven: 5:44pm On Sep 03, 2020
I just found unlike the F-35 they are also developing a 2-seater version of the KF-X.

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 03, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

Thanks for the explanation. But from what I'm aware of, Active Protection Systems can only engage missiles and projectiles traveling at a certain speed. Thus, they can't engage bullets fired at them, cos bullets travel too fast.

With that being the case, how will an APS engage the Russian mine when it fires its explosively formed penetrators, given that these travel at hypersonic speed?

What's the point of trying to stop a bullet with APS ? is it economical or justifiable operationally ?

Bullets can easily be stopped by passive armour .

As for the Russian munition , the EFP ( explosively formed penetrator ) is fired when the munition is more or less over the target . If the APS intercepts the munition before the EFP warhead is fired then the job is done .

Even if the EFP is fired , and the tank is fitted with add on ERA or NERA type armour over the top portion of the turret , the EFP can easily be defeated.

Generally a ATGM has 2 EFP warheads , the smaller one is used to destroy the ERA tiles and then tbe bigger EFP is fired at the exposed armour. But in the case of the Russian munition it has only one EFP warhead which can be stopped by ERA or NERA type add on armour itself.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 03, 2020
Quantum computer shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 03, 2020
Odunayaw:
US and wastage

It is a case of half filled or half empty glass

One could say it is a waste of money , but then one could say it is a gain of technology
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 03, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

Is this for real? smiley

Yes grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 03, 2020
Japanese truck mounted artillery gun

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 03, 2020
Signboard at a IA training facility

Guess nobody will be trespassing grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 03, 2020
South Korea KF-X cockpit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by GabrielYulaw(m): 10:01pm On Sep 03, 2020
nemesis8u:

What's the point of trying to stop a bullet with APS ? is it economical or justifiable operationally ?

Bullets can easily be stopped by passive armour .

As for the Russian munition , the EFP ( explosively formed penetrator ) is fired when the munition is more or less over the target . If the APS intercepts the munition before the EFP warhead is fired then the job is done .

Even if the EFP is fired , and the tank is fitted with add on ERA or NERA type armour over the top portion of the turret , the EFP can easily be defeated.

Generally a ATGM has 2 EFP warheads , the smaller one is used to destroy the ERA tiles and then tbe bigger EFP is fired at the exposed armour. But in the case of the Russian munition it has only one EFP warhead which can be stopped by ERA or NERA type add on armour itself.

I didn't say APS should stop bullets. I say bullets and similar fast projectiles generally cannot be intercepted by APS cos they move too fast. Active Protection Systems that I am aware of can only intercept subsonic projectiles. Explosively Formed Penetrators on the other hand generally travel at around Mach 4-5 from what I remember. That is why I asked if the new Russian mine can defeat APS like the Trophy. If so that could be a game changer.

I don't remember reading about ATGMs with EFP warheads. Unless you mean tandem HEAT warheads. In any case, I don't think any tank hit by the new Russian mine will walk away easy.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 04, 2020
GabrielYulaw:

I didn't say APS should stop bullets. I say bullets and similar fast projectiles generally cannot be intercepted by APS cos they move too fast. Active Protection Systems that I am aware of can only intercept subsonic projectiles. Explosively Formed Penetrators on the other hand generally travel at around Mach 4-5 from what I remember. That is why I asked if the new Russian mine can defeat APS like the Trophy. If so that could be a game changer.

I don't remember reading about ATGMs with EFP warheads. Unless you mean tandem HEAT warheads. In any case, I don't think any tank hit by the new Russian mine will walk away easy.

TOW 2B uses dual EFP warheads to specifically strike the top of a tank even with ERA tiles.

( Both HEAT and EFP are shape charges and i kind of used it interchangeably . Generally ATGMs use tandem shape charged aka HEAT warheads )

If one wants to be precise the difference between ERA and EFP lies in the end product

HEAT results in a molten jet at ~ 12000 m/s
EFP results in a slug at ~ 2000 m/s

And EFP range is higher than HEAT which is very less.

None the less the context doesn't change, a EFP slug can be defeated by newer generation ERA / NERA tiles developed specifically to protect against EFP ( reportedly older generation ERA fails to activate against EFP )

And current APS effectors can intercept targets travelling at ~ 2000 m/s ( ~ 6 mach )

As per my understanding , an APS should be able to intercept any projectile traveling at any speed provided the " sensor to shooter " cycle is optimised to process the target information , calculate the intercept trajectory and fire the interceptor before the projectile breaches the dead zone.

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by bidexiii: 12:56pm On Sep 04, 2020
Multiple reports & videos coming in of Taiwan shooting down a Chinese Su-35 fighter jet.
Waiting for the Chinese govt to acknowledge & respond to these reports.
It's huge from point of view too, if & when it's confirmed by China.

Videos-

https://twitter.com/ashishsinghnews/status/1301784625203703809?s=21

https://twitter.com/maverick_bharat/status/1301789461060022273?s=21
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 04, 2020
bidexiii:
Multiple reports & videos coming in of Taiwan shooting down a Chinese Su-35 fighter jet.
Waiting for the Chinese govt to acknowledge & respond to these reports.
It's huge from point of view too, if & when it's confirmed by China.

Most probably an accident
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 04, 2020
bidexiii:
And again some images from a video concerning the South Korean KF-X prototype.

Images via

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUPBK0_EBWU&feature=emb_title

Really like the level of no hands approach

Everything via automation

This speaks a lot about the production capabilities

What if Nigeria had a stake in it just like the Indonesia's ?
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 05, 2020
Rudra

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 05, 2020
Chinook transporting 6 105mm artillery guns all at once shocked

4 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 05, 2020
Food for thought smiley

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by bidexiii: 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
nemesis8u:

Really like the level of no hands approach

Everything via automation

This speaks a lot about the production capabilities

[/b]What if Nigeria had a stake in it just like the Indonesia's [b]?

grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 05, 2020
Spike NLOS launcher, remote controlled

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
American airborne high energy laser system

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 05, 2020
Concept of self propelled m777 gun system

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 05, 2020
US strategic long range cannon under development

Range 1000 mile ( 1600 km ) shocked

How is the artillery shell going to travel that far ?

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 05, 2020
Sarang 155x45 mm upgrade of M46 130 mm artillery gun

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 07, 2020
DRDO today successfully test fired HSTDV ( hypersonic technology demonstration vehicle ) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LeU2bRedcg

It successfully validated DRDO hypersonic air breathing scramjet technology.

The hypersonic cruise vehicle was launched to an altitude of 30 km using a solid rocket motor where the aerodynamic heat shields seperated at hypersonic mach number.

The cruise vehicle seperated from the launch vehicle , the air intakes opened , the hypersonic combustion sustained and the cruise vehicle travelled along its predetermined flight path at a velocity of 6 times the speed of sound ie at 2 km/s ( Mach 6 ).

India becomes the 3rd country after US and Russia to successfully demonstrate hypersonic air breathing scramjet technology in flight testing.

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 07, 2020
With the successful test flight of DRDO HSTDV , critical technologies like

Aerodynamic configuration for hypersonic maneuvers ,

Use of scramjet propulsion for ignition ,

Sustained combustion at hypersonic flow ,

Thermo structural characterization of high temperature materials ,

Seperation mechanisms at hypersonic velocities ,

Fuel injection and auto injection of scramjet engine

Etc
Etc

was successfully validated.

It assumes important because ignition of a scramjet engine and sustaining combustion of the same is akin to the near impossible task of lighting a match stick inside a hurricane and keep it burning inside the hurricane.

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by rationalhuman(m): 5:12pm On Sep 07, 2020
Congratulations for this endeavor, Not every country can dream of such things,

This is The Future.

nemesis8u:
DRDO today successfully test fired HSTDV ( hypersonic technology demonstration vehicle ) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LeU2bRedcg

It successfully validated DRDO hypersonic air breathing scramjet technology.

The hypersonic cruise vehicle was launched to an altitude of 30 km using a solid rocket motor where the aerodynamic heat shields seperated at hypersonic mach number.

The cruise vehicle seperated from the launch vehicle , the air intakes opened , the hypersonic combustion sustained and the cruise vehicle travelled along its predetermined flight path at a velocity of 6 times the speed of sound ie at 2 km/s ( Mach 6 ).

India becomes the 3rd country after US and Russia to successfully demonstrate hypersonic air breathing scramjet technology in flight testing.

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 07, 2020
Designed with latest HOT MWIR tech, Tonbo imaging GEOC-NX multi function, multi target acquisition binocular is built for rapid target acquisition in demanding ground surveillance ops.

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by bidexiii: 11:33pm On Sep 07, 2020
nemesis8u:
American airborne high energy laser system

@nemesis8u please more explanation on these hardware please ?
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 08, 2020
bidexiii:

@nemesis8u please more explanation on these hardware please ?

It is airborne directed energy weapon system . It uses a megawatt class chemical oxygen iodine laser mounted on a modified Boeing 747 passenger aircraft to destroy ballistic targets .

Only one such system was produced and is now retired .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7ieXNoyVw

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by kikuyu1(m): 2:33pm On Sep 08, 2020
nemesis8u:
When a angry Czech Republic Mayor Replies to foreign minister of Chi/na grin

In the old days this would've meant war!
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by bidexiii: 6:52pm On Sep 08, 2020
nemesis8u:

It is airborne directed energy weapon system . It uses a megawatt class chemical oxygen iodine laser mounted on a modified Boeing 747 passenger aircraft to destroy ballistic targets .

Only one such system was produced and is now retired .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7ieXNoyVw

Thanks man
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2020
First pics of DRDO VL-SRSAM , it is a quick reaction point defence system for use against supersonic sea skimming targets like AShM etc including aircrafts , UAVs , munitions etc .

A land based vehicle mounted version of the same with 4 celled VLS is under development.

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2020
US Robotic guard dog for base defence

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) ... (667) (Reply)

American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.