Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,121 members, 7,835,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Photos Of My Tomato Garden - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Photos Of My Tomato Garden (42830 Views)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Nnystc: 9:30am On Aug 21, 2016
Hi,
This Kizyte's thread on growing tomatoes is pretty much self explanatory with many pictures to inspire you too. Just follow it.

For green beans, Its the easiest thing really.
I just put the beans in the ground (or in a big flower pot, as i have a very small backyard space). Ensure you drill some holes at the bottom of the pot to drain out excess water in case plants get waterlogged by rain or watering.

My potting sand consisted of normal planting sand mixed with pig droppings which i got from the farm. Any good manure mixed into the sand will do. Or good planting sand without manure also works.

Once they germinate, put some stakes into the pot (3-4 stakes in a triangle or square formation. I used palm tree stalks). Use twine to connect the stake formation on more than one level to give the beans many anchor points to climb and hang on to as they grow.

As they grow, you just ensure that you guide them to climb around the twine connections you made.

Also ensure that you:
1- water them twice daily;
2- put your plant in a place where they can access sunlight for at least 6 hours.

I find that the advantage of having my plants in a pot is that i can carry them around to good sources of sunlight even though temporarily.

Thats basically it really. The plant pretty much grows itself.

yeancahwunmi:

Good a.m, could you please help with step by step guide on how to plant green beans or any other as we have here?

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by georgen2u(m): 11:31am On Aug 21, 2016
After reading all this, I am eager to start this on a commercial basis, please who ever is incharge of this thread I need u, we can partner for business,
Whatsapp me let's talk
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Ezinwa25(f): 3:34pm On Aug 21, 2016
grin please more pictures of those lovely tomatoes.. I wanna see them
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 4:01pm On Aug 21, 2016
Thank you @Nnystc
I appreciate your contributions and suggestions and will work with them smiley
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 4:06pm On Aug 21, 2016
Ezinwa25:
grin
please more pictures of those lovely tomatoes..
I wanna see them
Expect more photo update soon. smiley
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 6:00pm On Aug 22, 2016
22nd August: Application of Fertilizers

I noticed the lower leaves of my tomatoes were becoming yellowish due to nutrient deficiency from the soil, so I decided to apply the suitable fertilizers.

Note: The yellow leaves do not affect the fruits, tomatoes are growing bigger and fresh everyday. kiss

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Ajusshi: 7:52pm On Aug 22, 2016
Kizyte:
22nd August: Application of Fertilizers

I noticed the lower leaves of my tomatoes were becoming yellowish due to nutrient deficiency from the soil, so I decided to apply the suitable fertilizers.

Note: The yellow leaves do not affect the fruits, tomatoes are growing bigger and fresh everyday. kiss
Nice one, i hope you did not a high nitrogen ratio fertilizer?
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 12:02am On Aug 23, 2016
More photos

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 12:08am On Aug 23, 2016
Ajusshi:
Nice one, i hope you did not a high nitrogen ratio fertilizer?
No, I did not, thanks!
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 12:24am On Aug 23, 2016
More photos

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Tycoflu(m): 2:39am On Aug 23, 2016
Kizyte:
More photos
Nice one sir, I think it's tomato Alternaria blight that is affecting your tomatoes. I also noticed it on a farm I did my vegetable training on. Your tomatoes are doing great and are growing fast unlike the hybrid seeds sold in Nigeria that takes 17- 21 days to nurse and about 2 months to start fruiting.This link might help in managing the blight. www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/early-blight-alternaria-tomato-leaf-spots-yellow-leaves.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Abdullahi4u7(m): 12:28pm On Aug 23, 2016
This is awesome. keep it up op. Which fertilizer did you use? How did you apply it? Where did you buy it?
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Abdullahi4u7(m): 12:32pm On Aug 23, 2016
This is awesome. keep it up op. which fertilizer did you use, how did you apply it and where did you buy it?
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by REUBEN010(m): 1:32pm On Aug 23, 2016
The change in colour may not only be attributed to nutrients deficiency. Like someone mentioned above, check for other possibilities too for better diagnosis.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by enomakos(m): 2:17pm On Aug 23, 2016
Kizyte:
Buy 10 packs since you're planting in a large scale, you can mix varieties. I believe each pack contains 100 seeds and is sold at $0.50 per pack.
how much will be 10 packs in naira?
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 5:38pm On Aug 23, 2016
enomakos:
how much will be 10 packs in naira?
Here is a reduced price. I can give you link to store.

Check the current exchange rate.

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2016
georgen2u:
After reading all this, I am eager to start this on a commercial basis, please who ever is incharge of this thread I need u, we can partner for business,
Whatsapp me let's talk
OK
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by ibro360(m): 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2016
Nnystc:
Hi,
This Kizyte's thread on growing tomatoes is pretty much self explanatory with many pictures to inspire you too. Just follow it.

For green beans, Its the easiest thing really.
I just put the beans in the ground (or in a big flower pot, as i have a very small backyard space). Ensure you drill some holes at the bottom of the pot to drain out excess water in case plants get waterlogged by rain or watering.

My potting sand consisted of normal planting sand mixed with pig droppings which i got from the farm. Any good manure mixed into the sand will do. Or good planting sand without manure also works.

Once they germinate, put some stakes into the pot (3-4 stakes in a triangle or square formation. I used palm tree stalks). Use twine to connect the stake formation on more than one level to give the beans many anchor points to climb and hang on to as they grow.

As they grow, you just ensure that you guide them to climb around the twine connections you made.

Also ensure that you:
1- water them twice daily;
2- put your plant in a place where they can access sunlight for at least 6 hours.

I find that the advantage of having my plants in a pot is that i can carry them around to good sources of sunlight even though temporarily.

Thats basically it really. The plant pretty much grows itself.

sir, pictures they say speak's louder than words can you please share pictures of your farm it would be more inspiring and informative.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 5:44pm On Aug 23, 2016
REUBEN010:
The change in colour may not only be attributed to nutrients deficiency. Like someone mentioned above, check for other possibilities too for better diagnosis.
Will do so, thanks.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 5:45pm On Aug 23, 2016
Abdullahi4u7:
This is awesome. keep it up op. which fertilizer did you use, how did you apply it and where did you buy it?
Go to where they sell fertilizers and ask for that of vegetables.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by ibro360(m): 5:46pm On Aug 23, 2016
Mr Kizyte, from my calculations your tomatoes would be 1 month tomorrow 24 August, am i right.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 5:47pm On Aug 23, 2016
Tycoflu:

Nice one sir, I think it's tomato Alternaria blight that is affecting your tomatoes. I also noticed it on a farm I did my vegetable training on. Your tomatoes are doing great and are growing fast unlike the hybrid seeds sold in Nigeria that takes 17- 21 days to nurse and about 2 months to start fruiting.This link might help in managing the blight. www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/early-blight-alternaria-tomato-leaf-spots-yellow-leaves.htm

Thanks, will visit link
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 5:48pm On Aug 23, 2016
ibro360:
Mr Kizyte, from my calculations your tomatoes would be 1 month tomorrow 24 August, am i right.
You're very correct sir!

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by ibro360(m): 5:56pm On Aug 23, 2016
Kizyte:
You're very correct sir!
sorry i meant to say 2 months
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 7:22pm On Aug 23, 2016
ibro360:
sorry i meant to say 2 months
Of course, I understand.
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by enomakos(m): 12:20am On Aug 24, 2016
Kizyte:
Here is a reduced price. I can give you link to store.

Check the current exchange rate.
OK thanks sent me the link
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Kizyte(m): 9:05am On Aug 24, 2016
enomakos:
OK thanks sent me the link
Bro, the price has just gone back up to $0.50 per 100 seeds.

100 PCS big cherry tomato tree seeds italy new tomato seeds NO-GMO fruit and vegetable seeds for home garden planting
http://s.aliexpress.com/biqayiiu
(from AliExpress Android)

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by enomakos(m): 9:52am On Aug 24, 2016
Kizyte:
Bro, the price has just gone back up to $0.50 per 100 seeds.

100 PCS big cherry tomato tree seeds italy new tomato seeds NO-GMO fruit and vegetable seeds for home garden planting
http://s.aliexpress.com/biqayiiu
(from AliExpress Android)
no wahala thanks my brother for the links
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by MrUtech: 12:26pm On Aug 24, 2016
Kizyte:
Thursday, 21st of July

The stake
I planted a tomato seed but it suffers as a result of excess rainfall and it's up to 3 months, no sign of flowers or seed... is there still hope or should I uproot it
Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by oladiran2(m): 2:18pm On Aug 24, 2016
So many tinx are attributed to tomatoe production, especially in south west with less sunlight in soil to reduce bacteria.i won't advice anyone to venture into it in an open field in commercial scale directly in the ground if you don't want to die before your time from bacteria blight and loss.pple advicing should explain well for the lay men with little experience. This is where the green house technology and drip irrigation technology comes into play.this is an Eva F1 indeterminate variety.08033981254.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by oladiran2(m): 2:31pm On Aug 24, 2016
You can't jux request for vegetable fertilizer, I disagree.we have many kind of vegetable fertilizer.the one you will use for leafy vegetables can't be what d ones with fruits will require.yu will use more of urea for leafy veg which is useles with tomatoes and re both vegetables. For instance the stage of your tomatoes, would need more of calmag fertilizer to avoid blossom end rot and potassium nitrate for quality and big fruit

1 Like

Re: Photos Of My Tomato Garden by Ifedayour007(m): 11:08pm On Aug 24, 2016
Nnystc:
Thanks for feedback.

Mine are about 2ft tall and like rose bushes. I staked them in the pot too. I bought mostly indeterminate and semi determinate varieties for mine. I also think your idea of providing water and sunlight sources during dry season is genius and will prolong the life of the plant.

Yours are too gorgeous, do everything to ensure that they don't become "one-season wonders"!

I'm following your thread. Please continue to inspire us with progress pictures.

Also if you like to eat them, you can consider planting green beans next for fried rice and salads. I have those too.and took only about 45 days from seed in the ground to produce plentiful and succulent green beans which i use in my kitchen to cook everything from jollof rice to fried rice to spaghetti and even yam dishes.

Please where did you get the green beans seed?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Trap Caught A Bush Rat, Let Me Teach You How To Make Bush Rat Soup! / Mohaz Poultry In Anambra Is The Biggest Poultry Industry In South-East Nigeria / Investing In Agriculture Is Never A Waste. Pictures Of My Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.