Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... (31053 Views)

What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? / A 2:2 In These Universities May Equal 2:1 Or First Class Of Other Universities / What To Do With A 2.89 CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by nnamdi1993: 5:38pm On Jul 15, 2016
Correct me if am wrong, first class-excellent,2.1-above average, 2.2-average,3rd class-below average,den we have pass. I am a 2.2 graduate from a federal university in nigeria. I graduated with a 3.46.if result was to be given according to how serious one was in school,i would have made a first class. The way most companies see us,like all of us 2.2 graduates just went to school to play which is a lie.

Yes most people go to school to play,even 2.1 graduates to but the 2.1 done cover them up.while i was in secondary school,i was the top of my class,but when i enter university and started seeing some of my results,it seemed to me as if i was dumb if not that in my 3rd year and final year i had very high cgp's.i worked very hard to make it up but no way. A friend i met in 3rd year which before we met he wasnt on a 2.1 finished with a 2:1.i could remember vivdly well in my 2nd year,we did matrixes as a course. A friend of mine came to seat with me because he was scared of the course,i helped him that day to the point that i knew all the six questions while we were to ans five,i did my five and solved the last one for him on my question paper so he would copy four from me and write the one i solved. To my surprise the result came.i had an E in a 3unit course he had a 8. I wasnt happy so i went to meet my adviser,he told me point blank not to pursue it but if i insist,i would pay 5k and still wait one year for the remarking. So i just took his advice because i no fit get money to eat talkless of five k. I had 3 A's and some Bs that when a friend saw my result,i saw my gp, he was pissed of. I know what it takes to come out with a first class or a 2.1 and i say kudos to them but i have seen people in my department who hardly come to school,all they do is school politics and at the end bought 2:1 from my adviser for 250k. I too had that link to buy, but where i go get that kind money from. My friend who came out with a 2,1 knows that i am even capable of a first class but certain circumstances would allow it. God factor also goes along way because if by jacking and seriousness alone,many of us would have made first class.

There is a saying 'na who pass know book'.thats the nigerian mentality but its a wrong one. To all 2;2 graduates out there,dont feel bad when you see job adverts saying 2:1 minimim, God would bless you when its your time. Olajumoke no get degree but God help am. Be patience e never reach your turn yet. To all 2.1 graduates,kudos e no easy at all. Una time go still cum.3rd class no worry blessing go come one day. To employers. Give all of us a platform to try our luck then pursue us if we fail rather than tagging us failures before we even try.2.1 or 2:2, i know am good b wasnt lucky.

170 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 15, 2016
undecided tongue

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2016
Nigeria Employers place too much emphasis on paper qualification.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by parkparky(m): 7:56pm On Jul 15, 2016
I luv this post

15 Likes

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 15, 2016
tru talk bro....lalasticlala ishi love dis is fp material

1 Like

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by witorwitoutyou(m): 8:03pm On Jul 15, 2016
So Kiwa ni ka se si

Awa la ni ko ya olodo ni,well just joking anyways..like I av always said,its not written in any scriptures(Quran or bible) dt one success is attached to d grade u come out with.Oto ni iwe,Oto ni owo...Dey re two diff tins

I av a guy with 1stclass in engineering,searched for job almost 3years,yet no job,went further for his Msc,cane out with 1st class again,yet Notin uptil now,though we re still hopin for better days,to cut d story short,if it were to b grade,My padi suppose don get job tey tey

The moral of d story,try ur best and seek God's favour to crown ur effort.Dts all

28 Likes

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by babyfaceafrica: 8:13pm On Jul 15, 2016
Noted

1 Like

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Richiy(f): 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2016
Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Kewt: 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2016
Well said. Nigerian employers place too much emphasis on academic qualifications..

This shouldn't be. Little wonder the late Gani Fawehinmi graduated with a third class yet became a legal icon.

So many guys I know with 2.1 but can not defend it. It's so sad!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Kewt: 9:02pm On Jul 15, 2016
Well said. Nigerian employers place too much emphasis on academic qualifications..

This shouldn't be. Little wonder the late Gani Fawehinmi graduated with a third class yet became a legal icon.

So many guys I know with 2.1 but can not defend it. It's so saddening!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by mstik(f): 9:06pm On Jul 15, 2016
First of all, the Nigerian system places so much emphasis on academics, not really bothering to know if people are actually getting educated! And employers are following the same crappy trend. They use academic grades to determine the worth or ability of an individual and it is so wrong!! Especially with the fuckery that goes on in public schools.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by johnwizey: 9:08pm On Jul 15, 2016
When i read about Zahra Buhari failing her exams last year and had to re-sit this year before finally passing, i see some folks abusing her, calling her dullard lyk his father. To those folks, dis post is for you. Failing doesn't really means one is dull or unserious, so many factors comes to play.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 15, 2016
I feel your pain bro. Please encourage yourself in the Lord. I've heard of a 3rd class graduate who became a lecturer in a university. I've seen where those with 2:2 became lecturers. U and I are witness to some posts of 2:1 graduates who were looking for jobs with placards. Don't lose hope in urself. Meanwhile, I advise u go for ur masters. Develop yourself with a skill too. This will definitely help u. I had a 2:1, sincerely, I doubt if I'll use my certificate. I already have a job. Just waiting for NYSC then God's grace I'll start up my biz. Good luck, sir!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 15, 2016
johnwizey:
When i read about Zahra Buhari failing her exams last year and had to re-sit this year before finally passing, i see some folks abusing her, calling her dullard lyk his father. To those folks, dis post is for you. Failing doesn't really means one is dull or unserious, so many factors comes to play.
Bros forget dat tin! If some of us had her kind of father, do u think I'd not have graduated with 1st class? She has the money, she has everything she needs. I'm not saying one can't fail, no! But I'm telling you most of those who passed the "law exam" were poor men's children who could barely feed while in school! Don't blame Nigerians if they accuse her. It's not their fault. It's a shame she failed. Quote me anywhere!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by ofeshe(m): 9:20pm On Jul 15, 2016
Best post ever...lala
stics This shud be on fop

2 Likes

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by vickodedon(m): 9:26pm On Jul 15, 2016
Same tin happening to me bruv buh our difference is "I am still in school". Wat shld I do
Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2016
vickodedon:
Same tin happening to me bruv buh our difference is "I am still in school". Wat shld I do
I wldnt tell u to kill urself bro buh try ur best to mke a 2.1 while u still can but if nt, life still goes on...we dnt knw wer help wld cum from
Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by dreamwords: 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2016
Did u finish from futo?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by ksbusari(m): 10:14pm On Jul 15, 2016
I feel ur pain. its happens in most of Nigerian universities. I av experienced such Bt wasn't a victim. u don't av problem as long as u can defend that 2:2 grade.#Alubarika loju

2 Likes

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by 0955eb027(m): 10:40pm On Jul 15, 2016
bro, no be only you dey.. me man sef finish with 3.47.. you just have to look beyond certificate and look for ways to build urself...

5 Likes

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by herzern(m): 11:00pm On Jul 15, 2016
Nigerians are crazy about certificates

I think that should stop!.......Danqote no be 1st class..........Buhari no be 1st class........Tinubu no be first class..... undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Odunharry(m): 11:29pm On Jul 15, 2016
2'2 graduate, don't put ur grade on ur cv if you are applying for jobs..Apply, attend the test / interview and make sure you impress the employee.

6 Likes

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by hitchowoyemi(m): 12:27am On Jul 16, 2016
Odunharry:
2'2 graduate, don't put ur grade on ur cv if you are applying for jobs..Apply, attend the test / interview and make sure you impress the employee.

Make no mistake of omitting your Grade please, Employers use that as a pre-screening technique and the tsunami goes on and on. Just ensure that you can defend that grade! I finished above average grade and I'm still working on me in the best ways I know. 2.2 is not bad at all, my advice is that you try and go for your MSc. God bless all Nigerians, Africa and the world in whole!

1 Like

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by princedami: 1:59am On Jul 16, 2016
hitchowoyemi:

Make no mistake of omitting your Grade please, Employers use that as a pre-screening technique and the tsunami goes on and on. Just ensure that you can defend that grade! I finished above average grade and I'm still working on me in the best ways I know. 2.2 is not bad at all, my advice is that you try and go for your MSc. God bless all Nigerians, Africa and the world in whole!

But I heard that someone with a 2.2 can't do Msc directly that he/she has to do PGD->MSC->PHD... I don't get it. Can you say something about that?
Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by sade1994(f): 2:02am On Jul 16, 2016
Hmmmm
This life eh

1 Like

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by princedami: 2:13am On Jul 16, 2016
@ shade1994 Lol. What happened to this life? smiley
Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by princedami: 2:13am On Jul 16, 2016
@ DavidGodwin
Was it a professional course you studied?

1 Like

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by nnamdi1993: 3:22am On Jul 16, 2016
princedami:

But I heard that someone with a 2.2 can't do Msc directly that he/she has to do PGD->MSC->PHD... I don't get it. Can you say something about that?
u can bro,if ur cgp was above a 3.0

1 Like

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by IbBarham(m): 5:46am On Jul 16, 2016
I think employers should not employ based on result alone bcz some people with 1st class can't even defend their results.. And some with 2.2 are better than them just that they aren't lucky
Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 16, 2016
IbBarham:
I think employers should not employ based on result alone bcz some people with 1st class can't even defend their results.. And some with 2.2 are better than them just that they aren't lucky
the reason they use grade nd age is because of the sheer number of applicants. u put up an advert and say bsc engine or accounting can apply. more dan 100k pple will apply how do u sort thier cv or do test for dem dragnet shl gmat administered test dont come cheap na. but u use age and grade to limit applicants 10000 will apply and d coy needs just 20 pple o. put ur self in d employers shows. i have friends who finished with 2.2 earning 110 on their first jobs and 2.1 earning 30k. na my grace not grade

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by sinaj(f): 6:38am On Jul 16, 2016
Serzly the school system is so corrupt. Evn the lecturers are not helping matters with their sorting ish.

You will see a student that comes to class only wen there is test or exam dragging the same grade with you that didn't miss a lecture for one day.

Most times I wonder if they don't pay these lecturers well for them to rely on sorting.

Even if they give you a grade you don't deserve and u apply for remarking, they will see you as a rebel and start threatening you.

My advice for Nigerian students, is for them to try and come out with a good grade you can defend outside the school.

For those with 3rd class nd 2.2, just make sure you can defend it.
Av come to notice that 3rd class nd 2.2 excel more in the society than those with 1st class.

Because they buckle up, trying to please their employers unlike most 1st class that rely on their certificate to pave way for them.

8 Likes

Re: The Cry Of A 2.2 Graduate... by sinaj(f): 6:41am On Jul 16, 2016
princedami:

u can do masters since u scored up to 3points.

It's those that got below 3points in cgpa that can't go for masters

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oyo, Ogun And Osun Lead In Engineering University Admissions / 10 Oldest Universities In Nigeria / NUC Presents Provisional Licenses To 37 Private Universities (see Full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.