Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,329 members, 7,819,132 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. (17314 Views)

Viral Wedding Photos Of 19 Year Old Nigerian Secondary School Students / 7 Recommendations To Help Dad And Mom Teach Kids At Home / How Do We Tackle Bullying In Our Secondary Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Maross(m): 5:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
Good evening,
Pls I need your recommendations on the aforementioned topic for my daughter. I need a very good school around Benin with school fees in the neighborhood of 60-100k.
Kindly assist.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by kodyx(f): 6:22pm On Jul 17, 2016
Presentation

2 Likes

Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Maross(m): 11:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
kodyx:
Presentation

Thanks alot but isn't presentation an all boarding school? Besides, i think the fees are far above my budget.
Pls, any other recommendations?
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 12:27pm On Jul 18, 2016
Maross:

Thanks alot but isn't presentation an all boarding school? Besides, i think the fees are far above my budget.
Pls, any other recommendations?

Why not take a trip to Presentation and find out the fees and also if it is all boarding?. In addition, Catholic schools make a provision for a flexible payment plan. If i was in that Benin axis, my choices would have been Lumen Christi for Boys and Presentation National High for girls.

1 Like

Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by figur: 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2016
UPSS at garrick layout siluko road is a great school. You will be amazed by the things you will see when you get there, no need to talk too much.

2 Likes

Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by cooluc(f): 8:28pm On Jul 23, 2016
Patricia private school @ ramat fedral housing estate..its within the range you can afford.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Maross(m): 6:13am On Aug 02, 2016
NL1960:

Why not take a trip to Presentation and find out the fees and also if it is all boarding?. In addition, Catholic schools make a provision for a flexible payment plan. If i was in that Benin axis, my choices would have been Lumen Christi for Boys and Presentation National High for girls.

Thanks.
I just enquired and I can tell you categorically that for presentation, the fees plus other materials are well over 400k for fresh intakes. It is also an all boarding school(I don't really mind anyway but this factor is partly responsible for the high cost). I'd really love to send my daughter there but it is beyond me financially.
So I am down to about two options:
Word of faith and UPSS.
I welcome more suggestions.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 12:37pm On Aug 02, 2016
Maross:

Thanks.
I just enquired and I can tell you categorically that for presentation, the fees plus other materials are well over 400k for fresh intakes. It is also an all boarding school(I don't really mind anyway but this factor is partly responsible for the high cost). I'd really love to send my daughter there but it is beyond me financially.
Word of faith and UPSS.

It is as if the catholic girls only school fees are always a bit higher than that of the boys. I agree that the compulsory boarding also has an effect on the fees but even those that are day students still pay some fees called 'school bills'.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Plaitex(f): 7:38am On Aug 03, 2016
Oregbeni Estate Secondary School is also a good one around ikpoba hill axis
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by KanwuliaExtra: 1:44pm On Aug 03, 2016
Good luck OP!
Things have changed in Benin and Nigeria as a whole.

See names of schools and roads Chineke!! shocked
How can any healthy brain cells function in environments like these?

I was born and raised in Benin-City. I lived there for 22 years. Graduated from UNIBEN.
But, I will not raise a DEAD BODY there.
It has become too depressing to live or work in that environment that defies all forms of progress!
Thanks to IGDINEDION and OSHIOMOLE!

We have since SOLD most of our family homes except for 1.
I'd rather live with BOKO HARAM! grin
Thank my lucky stars for America!!!
I'd rather be lost in a foreign country, than be lost in my own native country!
Can't wait for my mom to sell all her business and properties I swear, so I can kiss that damn country THE GOODEST BYE BYE!
Amen.

8 Likes

Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by mokset123: 5:05am On Aug 04, 2016
Maross:

Thanks.
Word of faith and UPSS.
freedom assembly group of school. 21 adesuwa grammar school road, gra Benin city
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by speed99: 5:21am On Aug 04, 2016
Go to UPSS. If am ever in Benin again as a family, thats the school.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 10:09am On Aug 04, 2016
speed99:
Go to UPSS. If am ever in Benin again as a family, thats the school.

What is their fees like and do they have both day and boarding?.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Maross(m): 10:32am On Aug 04, 2016
UPSS is day only. School fees for new entrants is about 120k to 160k.

NL1960:

What is their fees like and do they have both day and boarding?.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 10:59am On Aug 04, 2016
Maross:
UPSS is day only. School fees for new entrants is about 120k to 160k.

Is this just tuition or tuition, books, school bills(pta, ict, clinic, sports, development levy etc)
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Onegai(f): 11:40am On Aug 04, 2016
Is Word Of Faith good? I met someone sending his children there but he didn't specify why he liked the school other than costs. OP, here's a list of schools on this website, try and visit them and make a decision:

http://passnownow.com/the-coolest-private-secondary-schools-in-edo-state/
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by crackhaus: 11:48am On Aug 04, 2016
Maross:

Thanks.
Word of faith and UPSS.
I suggest you go for Word of Faith College GRA, you will not want to remove your girl from that institution till she graduates the senior school...

I am a proud alumnus of the aforementioned, right from nursery till my graduation in SS3 .... was even offered the chance to continue into Benson Idahosa University at a subsidized tuition fee for the first two years (I think it was actually offered to every student that started in nursery all the way to senior secondary) - the Uni is run by the same Church of God Mission International, just that I had bigger plans for my university education so I focused my sights elsewhere. cheesy

Their curriculum is superb and the fact that it's run by CGMI means they like to instill 'christian values' on students...that doesn't mean there isn't going to be naughty/bad/crazy students tho. grin

The fees structure is very affordable ONLY because the vision of the founder Late Archbishop Benson Idahosa was to provide quality education not for profit but for an all-round development of the child.
However, fresh entry might cost much more by the time you factor in uniforms, sport gear, books, texts...etc.but after all that, I don't think it's more than 80k per term now - although you will have to pay a certain amount if/when an excursion or field trip is organized especially when it's a place outside Nigeria.
During my time, we didn't do all those kain ajebutter waka (who get time for effizzy) but last I heard from one of my old school mates whose children now attend the same school, it's a whole new ball game now.

St. Mary International, Igbinedion Educational Centre, and British Montessori are also very good schools that are all on par with WOFGS.

2 Likes

Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 11:58am On Aug 04, 2016
crackhaus:

I suggest you go for Word of Faith College GRA, you will not want to remove your girl from that institution till she graduates the senior school...

I am a proud alumnus of the aforementioned, right from nursery till my graduation from SS3 .... was even offered the chance to continue into Benson Idahosa University at a subsidized tuition fee for the first two years (I think it was actually offered to every student that started in nursery all the way to senior secondary) - the Uni is run by the same Church of God Mission International, just that I had bigger plans for my university education so I focused my sights elsewhere. cheesy

Their curriculum is superb and the fact that it's run by CGMI means they like to instill 'christian values' on students...that doesn't mean there isn't going to be naughty/bad/crazy students tho. grin

The fees structure is very affordable ONLY because the vision of the founder Late Archbishop Benson Idahosa was to provide quality education not for profit but for an all-round development of the child.
However, fresh entry might cost much more by the time you factor in uniforms, sport gear, books, texts...etc.but after all that, I don't think it's more than 80k per term now.

St. Mary International, Igbinedion Educational Centre, and British Montessori are also very good schools that are all on par with WOFGS.

Is this 80k per term inclusive of boarding fees and that is if it has boarding facilities.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by crackhaus: 12:20pm On Aug 04, 2016
NL1960:

Is this 80k per term inclusive of boarding fees and that is if it has boarding facilities.

Absolutely not included in boarding.

The hostel fees alone should be about 100k now, but I didn't think the OP was interested in that because he lives in Benin.
Most of the boarding students usually came from outside the state.

Please note that the 80k I mentioned is not the exact amount, I just know it can't be more than that today because it was approximately 15k per term when I was in secondary (late 90s/2002).

2 Likes

Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 1:55pm On Aug 04, 2016
crackhaus:

Absolutely not included in boarding.

The hostel fees alone should be about 100k now, but I didn't think the OP was interested in that because he lives in Benin.
Most of the boarding students usually came from outside the state.

Please note that the 80k I mentioned is not the exact amount, I just know it can't be more than that today because it was approximately 15k per term when I was in secondary (late 90s/2002).

Ok. Was wondering. The boarding fees and other fees(medical, games) associated with boarding in the Catholic schools is what normally make the amount to be high. The expanded curriculum for instance has made schools to introduce amount for things like basic technology, visual arts, home economics, ICT, business studies, music materials.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by crackhaus: 9:22pm On Aug 04, 2016
NL1960:

Ok. Was wondering. The boarding fees and other fees(medical, games) associated with boarding in the Catholic schools is what normally make the amount to be high. The expanded curriculum for instance has made schools to introduce amount for things like basic technology, visual arts, home economics, ICT, business studies, music materials.
Yea, catholic controlled schools always manage to hike their prices so high it makes one wonder why they do that when they're supposed to be doing the Lord's work. grin

WOFGS is a suitable and affordable choice all-round.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by figur: 7:54am On Aug 05, 2016
UPSS is a very good school, apart from academic work, they have very active and interesting extra curricular activities that builds your kids self confidence like no where else. My younger brother passed his jamb and post ume in flying colors in his first attempt and he was just in ss2. Got admission to study computer engineering and he graduated last month. Apart from him, 8 other alumni from the school made first class in various department in university of Benin in one year. Just pay that school a visit a see for yourself.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 11:27am On Aug 05, 2016
crackhaus:

[b]Yea, catholic controlled schools always manage to hike their prices so high [/b]it makes one wonder why they do that when they're supposed to be doing the Lord's work. grin

WOFGS is a suitable and affordable choice all-round.

Not really school. It is the boarding and most times compulsory boarding that makes it high. For a day, you will be surprised that the amount to be paid in the catholic school will be less than that of WOFGS. Is it possible you do an investigation of what WOFGS and UPSS is currently paying for day students and i will compare that to what the day students in my son's catholic boarding school here in Lagos are currently paying. Mind you, schools fees in Lagos are a little bit higher than those in Benin. When i saw your estimate yesterday which you are not sure of, i quickly went to do a check. Please, is it possible you or the OP do an investigation of the current fees for WOFGS and UPSS and post here for analysis.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by crackhaus: 11:56am On Aug 05, 2016
NL1960:

Not really school. It is the boarding and most times compulsory boarding that makes it high. For a day, you will be surprised that the amount to be paid in the catholic school will be less than that of WOFGS. Is it possible you do an investigation of what WOFGS and UPSS is currently paying for day students and i will compare that to what the day students in my son's catholic boarding school here in Lagos are currently paying. Mind you, schools fees in Lagos are a little bit higher than those in Benin. When i saw your estimate yesterday which you are not sure of, i quickly went to do a check. Please, is it possible you or the OP do an investigation of the current fees for WOFGS and UPSS and post here for analysis.
I don't live in Benin, but I made some calls for WOFGS. I'm not in contact with any of my old friends that attended UPSS.

Current tuition for WOFGS day school is 35k, this is from someone whose son just rounded up SS3 - she says it's what she paid last minus the WAEC/NECO/Graduation expenses...and that it might be lower for the junior classes.
The fees for those in boarding is 100/110k + 35k(tuition).
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 1:20pm On Aug 05, 2016
crackhaus:

I don't live in Benin, but I made some calls for WOFGS. I'm not in contact with any of my old friends that attended UPSS.

Current tuition for WOFGS day school is 35k, this is from someone whose son just rounded up SS3 - she says it's what she paid last minus the WAEC/NECO/Graduation expenses...and that it might be lower for the junior classes.
The fees for those in boarding is 100/110k + 35k(tuition).

The current tuition for catholic secondary schools in Lagos is 50k. It was increased last year from 35k to 50k. Boarding ranges between 120-170 depending on the school and location. Development fee is 10k. The other things you pay are things like ICT practicals, home economies, music, arts materials etc which most times is between 70-80k. You know most of the schools were recently given back by the government to the missionaries. So a lot of repairs and renovations are still being done.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by crackhaus: 1:27pm On Aug 05, 2016
NL1960:

The current tuition for catholic secondary schools in Lagos is 50k. It was increased last year from 35k to 50k. Boarding ranges between 120-170 depending on the school and location. Development fee is 10k. The other things you pay are things like ICT practicals, home economies, music, arts materials etc which most times is between 70-80k. You know most of the schools were recently given back by the government to the missionaries. So a lot of repairs and renovations are still being done.
Cool.

I guess other privately-run schools in Lagos will be much higher than this.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 2:07pm On Aug 05, 2016
crackhaus:

Cool.

I guess other privately-run schools in Lagos will be much higher than this.

Yes. There is a rush and competition for the catholic schools especially the old generation ones now that they have been given back by the government. Most parents see the fees as moderate compared to the private schools. I forgot to mention that for some of the catholic schools, the 70-80k includes a compulsory 20k mid-break food for all students. I think most of them introduced it in order to remove students buying all sorts of food from food vendors during the mid-morning break and also because of the ebola that came out the last time. Most times, it is parents during PTA meetings that introduced these things. One good thing why parents do not complain is that they see what the money is being used for.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by crackhaus: 5:05pm On Aug 05, 2016
NL1960:

Yes. There is a rush and competition for the catholic schools especially the old generation ones now that they have been given back by the government. Most parents see the fees as moderate compared to the private schools. I forgot to mention that for some of the catholic schools, the 70-80k includes a compulsory 20k mid-break food for all students. I think most of them introduced it in order to remove students buying all sorts of food from food vendors during the mid-morning break and also because of the ebola that came out the last time. Most times, it is parents during PTA meetings that introduced these things. One good thing why parents do not complain is that they see what the money is being used for.
It's a good investment all in all, as long as one can see the overall effects on their wards.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Maross(m): 6:51am On Aug 06, 2016
Good morning all and thanks for all your suggestions so far.
I have decided to consider all schools regardless of cost consideration and any prejudice as my daughter's education is paramount.
For this reason, the under listed schools are up for consideration due to your suggestions and my little findings:

1. University preparatory secondary school (UPSS)-day only.
2. Word of faith group of schools (WOFGS)- day and boarding.
3. Presentation national high school- boarding and girls only.
4. Deeper life high school- boarding only and co-education.
5. St. Mary international- day only and co-education.

My preference would have been UPSS since my daughter is currently in the Montessori arm of the school but for some inexplicable reason, my wife does not like the secondary school.
She prefers deeper life high school. I will keep up with my investigations with focus on past and present accolades, WAEC results, school fees, discipline etc.
More suggestions are welcomed.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by NL1960: 3:51pm On Aug 06, 2016
Maross:
Good morning all and thanks for all your suggestions so far.
I have decided to consider all schools regardless of cost consideration and any prejudice as my daughter's education is paramount.
For this reason, the under listed schools are up for consideration due to your suggestions and my little findings:

1. University preparatory secondary school (UPSS)-day only.
2. Word of faith group of schools (WOFGS)- day and boarding.
3. Presentation national high school- boarding and girls only.
4. Deeper life high school- boarding only and co-education.
5. St. Mary international- day only and co-education.

My preference would have been UPSS since my daughter is currently in the Montessori arm of the school but for some inexplicable reason, my wife does not like the secondary school.
She prefers deeper life high school. I will keep up with my investigations with focus on past and present accolades, WAEC results, school fees, discipline etc.
More suggestions are welcomed.

Also ask around for Our Lady of Apostles Secondary school. The OLA sisters have a strong bias towards education and they always have their own educational institutions (primary and secondary) in any state where they are located. I think their secondary school might be outside Benin city and it is likely to be full boarding. The Rev. Sisters are always in charge of the girls only schools and they are most times full boarding.

Iam a strong advocate of the boarding system if somebody can afford it. So, my recommendation mighty be bias.
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by TheGreatIYANU: 12:42am On Jan 16, 2017
Maross:
Good evening,
Pls I need your recommendations on the aforementioned topic for my daughter. I need a very good school around Benin with school fees in the neighborhood of 60-100k.
Kindly assist.

If you're still looking for a great School in Benin with Sound Education and Good Pricing, ask for Salvation International Preparatory Schools. The school is one of the best kept secrets in Edo states. It is a Mission School that would inculcate in your daughter sound moral principles and solid academic foundation.
The funny thing is they NEVER EVER indulge in examination malpractice but have always had stellar JAMB, NECO and WAEC results. I am an alumnus and many of my mates, seniors and juniors have gone on to be renowned professionals, including Lawyers, Doctors, Engineers and even recently one of the guys who graduated years after me just got his Pilot Licence in the US.
You can contact them here 08023376135
Re: Good Secondary Schools In Benin: Your Recommendations. by Greenbullet(m): 2:10am On Jan 16, 2017
Maross:
Good evening,
Kindly assist.
UPSS UNIVERSITY PREPARATORY SECONDARY SCHOOL,THE BEST IN EDO STATE.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Be Comfortable Having The Sex Talk With Your Kids? / Who Should Be A Married Woman's Next Of Kin? / Why Are There Too Many Poor People Who Cannot Take Care Of Their Families?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.