Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,333 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. (38454 Views)

“Doctors Gave Me 48hrs To Live, But Look At Me Now” - Guy Survival Story / Thunder Strikes Woman To Death In Ohafia, Abia - Facebook User / Woman Who Carries Oxygen Tank For Survival Flies To India For Surgery. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Soknown: 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2016
ofemigeorge:
I had this book threw it away cause it gave me nightmares. And the irony of it all was that not very far away from their crash site was a store house filled with food and communication gears that can take them out of the situation but they never saw it. The gods must be having fun watching them to see how they will survive.
nostalgia, I read that book too while young, ALIVE, very scary.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by bigiyaro(m): 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2016
Explorers:
On May 28, 2013, divers in the wreckage of theJacson-4 were attempting a triage of the vessel, which 100 feet down off the coast of Nigeria after capsizing. What they didn't expect to find was a survivor.

Harrison Okene was the ship's cook. He was in the bathroom around 4am when the boat capsized upside down, and tried to reach an emergency exit hatch but failed. The boat began to fill with water with Okene trapped inside about 100ft below the ocean surface in complete darkness wearing only boxers. Eventually, he found himself trapped with a four square foot bubble of air with a cocacola. He knew he was running out of oxygen so he found a safe corner of the ship and used mattresses to block out water and created air pocket. After three days, he had given up hope. All the while, Okene heard sharks and barracudas fighting over the remains of his shipmates.
Then he heard a knock, it was the hammer of the divers working on the surface of the ship. Okene surviving for 62 hour to the shock of the rescue divers, Okene was given diving gear and he was brought to a decompression chamber, where he had to spend two days. He had been at depths that should have killed him in a situation that took the lives of everyone else on board.

Unsurprisingly, he vowed never to go out to sea again.

see video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BOnNL7m_2c
See Wetin oyibo the do for movies with film tricks, a Nigerian doing it live n direct.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Anabel(f): 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2016
pamcode:
Wao so sharks attack people even if they don't smell blood

Sharks attacks anything that moves in water and she was dangling her arms in the water.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2016
Nice one explorer this is what d net should be all about educatIve and informative. Please those pampers wearing adults that refer to themselves as wailers and zombies should please learn from this guy. If only 50 percent of the posts and comments on nairaland were informative and educative and devoid of ethnicity there won't b so much hatred distrust and enmity in this country

2 Likes

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 23, 2016
donem:

I support u on this, what ever befalls you as a result of this comment, let it befall me also.

I support you guys wholeheartedly,its about time

1 Like

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Anabel(f): 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2016
Thumbs up!! This is the most interesting post in all my 10years on NL.. thanks OP
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by donem: 6:22pm On Jul 23, 2016
youmour:

I support you guys wholeheartedly,its about time
Gracias
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by delikay4luv: 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2016
Explorers no dey disappoint

1 Like

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Engrobiorah(m): 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2016
My own survival story
In 2012,I fell inside a very deep suckaway pit filled with shit and came out alive.,not many ppl do.
I thank God for that

7 Likes

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Nne5: 6:59pm On Jul 23, 2016
DonCortino:
They acted a movie about ut even. 'Alive'
Really? Didn't know

3 Likes

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Davidhero(m): 7:01pm On Jul 23, 2016
Wow, Explorer honestly dis is the first thread since i knew about Nairaland that i follwed bumpa to bumpa, read in-between lines and every bit of the comment. Thumbs up bro.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Lightening: 7:34pm On Jul 23, 2016
musicwriter:
I used to follow a programme called ''I shouldn't be alive'' on national geographic channel. Anybody that really want to see jaw dropping survival experiences should go to youtube and check it out.

In one episode, a helicopter flying over an active volcano developed fault just on top of the volcano and fell inside the larva. It was like falling inside hell. How they survived is astonishing.

In another episode, an airplane with over 200 passengers crashed in a desne forest and many died instantly, but not all. After one month of looking for them by their government, the search and rescue operation was suspended, not knowing some of the passengers survived. They were declared dead and forgotten.

I think they lived in the forest for about 3 months, lost in the middle of nowhere searching for a way out. Things got so bad for them they had to resort to eating the flesh of fellow dead passengers on the way just to survive. Many died on the way, just about 7 or so of them made it out of the forest alive. One survivor already had his wife married to another man by the time he got home.

Explorer captured the story with pix above.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by emperorbukky: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2016
GloShare:
My favorite

I love this. Anjelina Jolie produced a movie based on this story titled UNBROKEN. The movie was based on the 2010 non-fiction book by Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption.
The movie had its world premiere in Sydney in November 17, 2014 with Jack O' Connell portrayed as Zamperini. The movie grossed over $163 million worldwide.
The story was so touching.
Thumb up to you Explorer.

1 Like

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by FuckTheMod: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2016
jahsharon:

Yet, the U.S. does not want Iran, North Korea and other aspiring nations to own atomic bomb. U.S. wants to be the only country together with Israel to be able to bomb and unbomb.
Don't mind the foolș

I don't know what their business is even if Nigeria want to own nuclear weapons.
They think they have two heads.
I support Iran and North Korea
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by poketoholo01(m): 8:16pm On Jul 23, 2016
Explorers:
In October 1972, a Uruguayan plane carrying 45 people including rugby players and students crashed in the Andes Mountains. The temperature was 30 degrees below zero at night time and 12 people had died in the initial crash. The survivors had very little in terms of food and water and eventually had to turn to cannibalism(Dead bodies) in order to stay alive. The survivors lost almost all hope when they heard on the plane’s radio that the search for their plane had ended. A number of survivors, however, banded together to form an expedition party which would search for help. After a number of failed attempts to cross the treacherous terrain and 72 days of being stranded, the group who had left the crash site had managed to make themselves known to civilians and the 16 survivors were eventually found. The ordeal still haunts the remaining survivors over 40 years later.

Yea I read a book about this event "Andes survivors" very chilling event. Nice one Explorers.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 23, 2016
Explorers:

Thanks mam, that baby(dp) is muahnnnn.....
Thank you sir

1 Like

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by GloShare(m): 8:35pm On Jul 23, 2016
emperorbukky:

I love this. Anjelina Jolie produced a movie based on this story titled UNBROKEN. The movie was based on the 2010 non-fiction book by Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption.
The movie had its world premiere in Sydney in November 17, 2014 with Jack O' Connell portrayed as Zamperini. The movie grossed over $163 million worldwide.
The story was so touching.
Thumb up to you Explorer.

Omg! You know the story...

2 Likes

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by onoslove(f): 8:41pm On Jul 23, 2016
Explorers:
On May 28, 2013, divers in the wreckage of theJacson-4 were attempting a triage of the vessel, which 100 feet down off the coast of Nigeria after capsizing. What they didn't expect to find was a survivor.

Harrison Okene was the ship's cook. He was in the bathroom around 4am when the boat capsized upside down, and tried to reach an emergency exit hatch but failed. The boat began to fill with water with Okene trapped inside about 100ft below the ocean surface in complete darkness wearing only boxers. Eventually, he found himself trapped with a four square foot bubble of air with a cocacola. He knew he was running out of oxygen so he found a safe corner of the ship and used mattresses to block out water and created air pocket. After three days, he had given up hope. All the while, Okene heard sharks and barracudas fighting over the remains of his shipmates.
Then he heard a knock, it was the hammer of the divers working on the surface of the ship. Okene surviving for 62 hour to the shock of the rescue divers, Okene was given diving gear and he was brought to a decompression chamber, where he had to spend two days. He had been at depths that should have killed him in a situation that took the lives of everyone else on board.

Unsurprisingly, he vowed never to go out to sea again. I read the story of this man, only to meet with the wife few months ago in my new location. She told my brother and I the full story. God indeed is a miracle worker.

see video:
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by MrOreo(m): 8:53pm On Jul 23, 2016
Anabel:
Thumbs up!! This is the most interesting post in all my 10years on NL.. thanks OP
Hi
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by DonMekino(m): 8:56pm On Jul 23, 2016
I read almost all...some of dem went bak to wat they were doing before d near-death experience.
.but d naija guy...he didn't even want to go to d sea again in his life ;DI read almost all...some of dem went bak to wat they were doing before d near-death experience.
.but d naija guy...he didn't even want to go to d sea again in his life

naija I hail thee

2 Likes

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by DonMekino(m): 8:57pm On Jul 23, 2016
I read almost all...some of dem went bak to wat they were doing before d near-death experience.
.but d naija guy...he didn't even want to go to d sea again in his life

naija I hail thee

2 Likes

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 23, 2016
Explorers:

Unsurprisingly, he vowed never to go out to sea again.

see video:
I lost an uncle in this incident. The guy was very lucky, he had abt 8 hours left b4 the divers found him.

2 Likes

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by abham: 9:44pm On Jul 23, 2016
Name of the book abeg

ofemigeorge:
I had this book threw it away cause it gave me nightmares. And the irony of it all was that not very far away from their crash site was a store house filled with food and communication gears that can take them out of the situation but they never saw it. The gods must be having fun watching them to see how they will survive.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 23, 2016
Ishilove:

Lol. In fact enh cheesy

undecided undecided undecided
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Flygeriansteve: 10:53pm On Jul 23, 2016
I read about the Andes Rugby incident in a Readers Digest magazine... It's a story of sheer will of humans to survive and how much we'll strive to survive. They had to eat the dead ones at some point
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Jjamah(m): 11:03pm On Jul 23, 2016
God bless you Explorers
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Rockyfancino(m): 2:28am On Jul 24, 2016
Explorers can you drop a long list of websites you read. I'm almost always too bord, maybe i can learn something.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by ofemigeorge(m): 3:25am On Jul 24, 2016
abham:
Name of the book abeg

alive
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Explorers(m): 4:08am On Jul 24, 2016
Anabel:

Tnx sis...
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Explorers(m): 4:13am On Jul 24, 2016
MrTruth4real:

I lost an uncle in this incident. The guy was very lucky, he had abt 8 hours left b4 the divers found him.

Eeeyah...Sorry about that bro.
Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Explorers(m): 4:14am On Jul 24, 2016
Jjamah:
God bless you Explorers

Amen & u 2 bro.

1 Like

Re: When Disaster Strikes: Some Of The Most Shocking Survival Stories Ever. by Explorers(m): 4:31am On Jul 24, 2016
Rockyfancino:
Explorers can you drop a long list of websites you read. I'm almost always too bord, maybe i can learn something.

Cavemancircus.

Therichest.

Buzzfeeds.

List10.

List25.

Livescience.

Oddee.

Quora.

Oddpad.

Randomfacts.

Omgfacts.

History.

Discovery.

Amazing planet.

Dailymail (For Foreign news).

Dose.

Shocking & Bizzare(youtube).

E.t.c

Following them on FB&IG.
When you visit some of the sites for an article or a specific topic, they recommends other similar sites.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Celebrates Son, Uchechi Iweala, On Medical Feat / Sickle Cell Patient And Rape Victim Celebrates 19th Birthday (Photos) / Man Stopped From Committing Suicide By Jumping Into Lagos Lagoon (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.