Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,542 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches (4728 Views)

Funny Testimony In Nigeria Churches / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by GL(f): 1:53am On Dec 28, 2006
african/nigerian men would always grasp at anything that tends to subdue women. this is more annoying when women encourage this. as much as i agree that everything in the Old Testament remains true today, i wonder why there are many other OT issues that the Nigerian Church ignores. in any event, the NT says we dont have to keep the Jewish customary laws to be christians.

dat Deuteronomy passage doesnt stipulate which clothing belong to men and which belong to women. i believe what God was saying there is that He wants a clear distinction between men and women, in which case He was referring to transvestites. women's trousers are usually very feminine and as such are different from that of men.

also, i think d 1 Corinthians passage says something like women who pray/prophesy with their heads uncovered dishonour their heads i.e. their husbands. so, unmarried females are free.

i used to believe all these b4 until i noticed that churches that preached against trouser-wearing and scarflessness allowed white women to preach in trousers and with uncovered heads.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 2:35am On Dec 28, 2006
GL:

african/nigerian men would always grasp at anything that tends to subdue women. this is more annoying when women encourage this. as much as i agree that everything in the Old Testament remains true today, i wonder why there are many other OT issues that the Nigerian Church ignores. in any event, the NT says we don't have to keep the Jewish customary laws to be christians.

that Deuteronomy passage doesnt stipulate which clothing belong to men and which belong to women. i believe what God was saying there is that He wants a clear distinction between men and women, in which case He was referring to transvestites. women's trousers are usually very feminine and as such are different from that of men.

also, i think d 1 Corinthians passage says something like women who pray/prophesy with their heads uncovered dishonour their heads i.e. their husbands. so, unmarried females are free.

i used to believe all these before until i noticed that churches that preached against trouser-wearing and scarflessness allowed white women to preach in trousers and with uncovered heads.

My Sister why cant we leave the White out of this?

Good comments though.

Why are we not scarveless and trouzerful pre-1985?

Why?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by sage(m): 4:57am On Dec 28, 2006
Akolawole:

My Sister why can't we leave the White out of this?

Good comments though.

Why?

Kola why were we without Internet, Playstations, Computers, Flatscreen Color tvs, Cables and Dishes Fast Food joints b/4 1985?

I find this amusing. Is somebody here suggesting that there is something wrong with women wearing trousers? My Dad and Mom both tie Wrappers as is traditional but in different ways. Ive not seen anybody say anything about Men that tie wrappers wearing women clothing. Its Unfortunate that women undermine themselves

At times i don't pity the plight of women in Nigeria because seeing what they do it to themselves.

Take cheating 4 example, if married women came together and made their stand known that they wont accept cheating husbands, and that if they found out that their husband is cheating, they were fully capable of cheating like him, i think guys would start to think twice. But no, women just sit back and accept everything thrown at them.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 12:48pm On Dec 28, 2006
sage:

Kola why were we without Internet, Playstations, Computers, Flatscreen Color tvs, Cables and Dishes Fast Food joints b/4 1985?

At times i don't pity the plight of women in Nigeria because seeing what they do it to themselves.

Take cheating 4 example, if married women came together and made their stand known that they wont accept cheating husbands, and that if they found out that their husband is cheating, they were fully capable of cheating like him, i think guys would start to think twice. But no, women just sit back and accept everything thrown at them.

I get you.

Are you saying Pre-1985 is old-fashioned?

What are you advising our women to do? Please dont bring Abroad mentality to us. I beg.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ishmael(m): 3:50pm On Dec 28, 2006
Kola, you dey mind am??
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2006
No one's bringing any Abroad mentality here, just stating it as it is. Pre-1985, did they know any better? Good points Sage put out. All these no-trouser wearing bullshit is nothing other than tradition.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2006
gbade. x:

No one's bringing any Abroad mentality here, just stating it as it is. Pre-1985, did they know any better? Good points Sage put out. All these no-trouser wearing bullshit is nothing other than tradition.

Were you a living example of Pre-1985.

My friend, our Church is not the same again.

I know Sage and he knows what i mean by Abroad mentality.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ishmael(m): 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2006
Akolawole, church has changed drastically o. Pre-1985 christians are different from today's christians that is what your friend gbade.x is trying to tell you. Which can also mean that christianity of today is different from pre-1958 christianity. But why should christianity or any religion change together with technology or the social life of the society?? No wonder we have gay pastors and Bishops in today's churches unlike in the pre-1985 churches.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 4:20pm On Dec 28, 2006
Please! I may not be a pre-1985 person but my parents were, so were my aunties and relatives and the likes. Judging from the period the style of dressing then was the in-trend, that then does not mean you should shove it down my throat. That was then, This is now!! The core belief and blueprint of Christianity's still the same, but anything outside that's tradition. And tradition's what it is: all human. Clearly the Early Christians almost fell for some of that trado BS when there was the question of Gentile gettin' circumscised.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2006
gbade. x:

Please! I may not be a pre-1985 person but my parents were, so were my aunties and relatives and the likes. Judging from the period the style of dressing then was the in-trend, that then does not mean you should shove it down my throat. That was then, This is now!! [b]The core belief and blueprint of Christianity's still the same, [/b]but anything outside that's tradition. And tradition's what it is: all human. Clearly the Early Christians almost fell for some of that trado BS when there was the question of Gentile gettin' circumscised.

Its not the same.

Go and ask Mama and Papa, it now basterdised.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 4:38pm On Dec 28, 2006
Whatever. Only self-righteous people would make a generalization like "it has been bastardized".
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by gbadex1(m): 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2006
Whatever. Only self-righteous people would make a generalization like "it has been bastardized".
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by GL(f): 7:06pm On Dec 28, 2006
Akolawole:

My Sister why can't we leave the White out of this?

Good comments though.

Why?

i dont know about pre-1985, so i cant comment on that. i'm not suggesting we copy d whites, just saying dat d ppl who preach dat we shouldnt wear trousers are accepting these things from whites. so it looks like it is just a nigerian church doctrine.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by sage(m): 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2006
@Kola, this is not abroad Mentality.

I want you to answer this question

Is there anything wrong with Men tying Wrappers like our fathers did?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by sage(m): 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2006
@Ishmeal

Nigerians are just self righteous.

We are not one inch better morally better than anybody else in this world. Itz only in our heads
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by mrpataki(m): 7:53pm On Dec 29, 2006
Akolawole the Ancient Man grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin undecided
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 3:24am On Dec 30, 2006
mrpataki:

Akolawole the Ancient Man grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin undecided

I like that my brother.

They don spoil everything grin
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by sage(m): 6:04am On Dec 30, 2006
@Kola u did not answer the question grin cheesy
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2006
@Sage

Igbo men or all men?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by sage(m): 6:06am On Dec 31, 2006
Igbo men tie wrappers. You should know. I dont know about Yorubas though. But since wiomen are known to tie wrappers, do you think that from your religious viewpoint, that it is wrong for a man to tie a wrapper?
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2006
sage:

Igbo men tie wrappers. You should know. I don't know about Yorubas though. But since wiomen are known to tie wrappers, do you think that from your religious viewpoint, that it is wrong for a man to tie a wrapper?

Sorry my friend, i dont comment on anything Igbo on Nairaland again.
Sorry.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Amobi1(m): 10:18pm On Jan 09, 2007
so, how come you guys reach to a conclution that trousiers are male cloths. Lol!!!! local people; they have male trouser and female trousier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Akolawole(m): 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2007
Amobi 1:

so, how come you guys reach to a conclution that trousiers are male cloths. Lol!!!! local people; they have male trouser and female trousier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Mr abroad.

That we leave in a village beside Ibadan does not necessarily means we can comment on matter of gospel.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by folkzy(f): 12:20am On Jan 21, 2007
Exactly @Amobi
There is female trouser n male trouser.
When i was in Niger, i used to wear skirt n hat to church . But in England, it's quite difficult wiv d weather. Besides, i don't wear male trouser. IT's hard to see sumone dat reside in US/UK wearing skirt to church all d time.
I sumtime forget 2 cover my hair as well. But nid 2 stick to dat routine of avin my hat lol.
There are trousers made for men n ladies, get it?
I must say d only issue dat is right is d 'Head covering' lol.
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by ladygaga(f): 12:19am On Dec 22, 2009
pheeeeew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nobody has talked about the following verses cool cool cool cool
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by mamagee3(f): 12:20am On Dec 22, 2009
Why is fashion a big factor when it comes to going to Church in Nigeria? angry
Re: Trousers And Scarflessness In Nigeria Churches by Knight1(m): 10:46am On Dec 22, 2009
I know that there are trousers that men can not wear simply because they are not men's dressing, they are female attires, so also for igbo men with wrapper, am sure that the wrappers those men tie are not women's dressing HOWEVER if your church doctrine does not permit you to wear trousers as a woman, if you can, follow the doctrine, won't snuff life outta ya, besides doctrines are for the benefit, not condemnation of the believer.

I'd like to state, however, that Head covering for women is NOT a doctrinal issue, IT IS A BIBLICAL PRINCIPLE, the same scripture that tells women to cover hair tells men to leave head open and men don't have a problem with that (or have u seen a man enter a church with his cap on by force) it's just because it's not as convenient that women are having issues wiv it, i mean, do u think men don't have fine fedoras or fila skontolo to display?
Pls lets not confuse doctrinal issues and biblical injunctions!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Idol Worship In Today's World / How To Tell Your Parents You Are Becoming A Satanist. / PRAYER PROGRAMME : STOPPING THE STOPPERS OF YOUR FOUNDATION.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.