Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,710 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over (19628 Views)

Work Commences On Federal Roads In Imo -as Minister Of Works Visits Okorocha / Governors Want FG To Hand Over Federal Roads To States / FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Montaque(m): 8:56am On Jul 21, 2016
Nigerians ve a problem, those who clamour for this proposal without advocating for fiscal federalism.
When we saw,"restructure nigeria", people think we want the country to die off. Now the federal govt wit all the draconian control over all the natural resources cannot repair our roads.
They are just looking for an excuse to say that they built roads. Am still waiting by 2019 for yemi to tell us the new roads constructed when old ones cannot be rehabilitated.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by survemeka(m): 9:03am On Jul 21, 2016
Please o there's a very bad spot close to Okwe General hospital before the toll gate as you are heading to Onitsha from Benin. Its actually amazing how commuters most of them long-distance travellers, are held up in the gridlock for hours on end just because of a spot which will take just a few hours to fix. Is the state waiting for the federal govt? Please lets save our country from unnecesary economic sabotage...and imagine such a situation in front of a General Hospital!
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by WhiskeyTangoFox: 9:04am On Jul 21, 2016
Bolustic:

Stop being childish, I know you just wanted to get likes and shares from your ilks.

Right from OBJ's tenure, Lagos and other states have constructed and maintained roads belonging to the FG only to be reimbursed later. This isn't about PMB or GEJ, it's about you and I.

Get over the election loss, GEJ is over it.

Ok let's put this into perspective, if the state monthly allocations have reduced significantly from the FG, and revenue generated internally from the state has also reduced to the point where some states are owing salaries for N months, then where exactly are the state governors meant to get capital to begin such projects? Mind u, the FG just indirectly suggested that states willingly take up these projects (maintaining FG roads) without reimbursement, similar to wot el-rufai did. Again, true federalism comes to mind as a gateway of liberating the FG and making states more accountable. But the million dollar question remains, where is all the billions recovered from looters and generated from agencies (e.g FIRS) channelled to?

1 Like

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by SIRKAY98(m): 9:04am On Jul 21, 2016
STARGREEN:
Sorry... has it gotten to this stage? God bless GOODLUCK JONATHAN.

You see people now remnbers Jonathan, i feel like cursing some people at the moment that said Buharia can do it.

1 Like

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by 99100(m): 9:05am On Jul 21, 2016
STARGREEN:
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by izeeworld(m): 9:06am On Jul 21, 2016
STARGREEN:

Don't be stupid pls jona is our problm today he created all wat is going on now during his time govnrs did nothing to help the state or the federal govt
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Gkemz: 9:07am On Jul 21, 2016
El rufai and Buhari are working together like father like son. So what option does he have other than to please Bullhari
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Project400: 9:10am On Jul 21, 2016
I think some of these issues have been addressed in the national CONFAB report.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Timbuktu14(m): 9:13am On Jul 21, 2016
Pheals:
shocked and buhari will be asking them were they get the money ? Abi the federal dey poor lipsrsealed who is giving to the state then undecided
Some states like Lagos, Akwa Ibom, Kano etc... Make more than the FG gives.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Timbuktu14(m): 9:14am On Jul 21, 2016
Gkemz:
El rufai and Buhari are working together like father like son. So what option does he have other than to please Bullhari
Everything no be politics my brother.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Pheals(f): 9:16am On Jul 21, 2016
Timbuktu14:
Some states like Lagos, Akwa Ibom, Kano etc... Make more than the FG gives.
the question is did they have enough than the FG
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Chinedu1991(m): 9:18am On Jul 21, 2016
[quote author=Timbi post=47741382]The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has appealed to states to take over the repairs and maintenance of federal roads in order to reduce the burden on the Federal Government.

The council made the appeal Tuesday during a two-hour meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.

It said states that could afford to take over federal highways should do so as quickly as possible so that the roads do not go into "total deterioration."

Briefing State House correspondents later, Women Affairs Minister Aisha Alhassan said the FEC l approved a memo presented by the Minister of Power, Works, Housing and Urban Development, Babatunde Fashola, for the re-designation of two roads in Kaduna State from being federal roads to state roads as requested by Governor Nasir e-Rufai.

Alhassan said e-Rufai had sent a request to President Buhari to re-designate the Nnamdi Azikwe and the Ahmadu Bello Expressways in Kaduna as state roads so that the state government would "have the power, without any inhibition, to work on the roads to make them better for Kaduna indegenes."

The minister noted that the council was very pleased with e-Rufai's request "because ordinarily, other state governors should have requested for permission to repair and be reimbursed.

"But he (e-Rufai) asked for outright handing over to the Kaduna State government so that they can take care of it as their own, and asked the (federal) government to complete the eastern by-pass ‎which is outside Kaduna linking the North-central to North-western Nigeria. That was also approved by the council because it is a welcome idea.

"The council also appealed to other state governments that can afford to take over federal roads to lessen the burden on federal government, to enable them repair and maintain roads as quickly as possible so that they don't go into total deterioration," the minister said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/fg-begs-states-to-take-over-federal-roads/156150.html
[/quoteplease what happened to FERMA?
that's one MDA I cannot categorically state their function despite the massive funds allocated to it.
fg should start by disbanding FERMA
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Chinedu1991(m): 9:18am On Jul 21, 2016
please what happened to FERMA?
that's one MDA I cannot categorically state their function despite the massive funds allocated to it.
fg should start by disbanding FERMA
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by WhiskeyTangoFox: 9:21am On Jul 21, 2016
oduastates:

My position as an oodua nationalist is based on proper analysis of what the future holds for the homeland in that forsaken country.
You only need to look at how a country that was put in good fiscal position by a semi- literate military recruit
( Obasanjo) was destroyed by a so - called PHD holder who wouldn't have qualified for the position of manager of LAWMA.
How a nincompoop like that can get to the top is only possible in a dysfunctional country like Nigeria.
That country also gave us fayose who left to omoluabis, would have been rotting in prison a long time ago.
When you look at the demographic time bomb,the coming impact of climate change, tolerance for extreme corruption, Islamic extremism,unrestricted one-way migration and all the criminality being exported into yorubaland, the time is nigh to get out of that country.

Indeed....yet we have a genius of a president who had to hire 13 SANs instead of presenting his waec certificate and has sunk the economy of the country for the 2nd time as head of state. Coincidence? I don't think so. I agree Goodluck could have done a lot better, but President "Do It All" claimed to know and do all during his campaign and is currently stuck in a limbo with no plan or guide of how to redeem the current concerns in the country. People wanted Goodluck out and they got their wish, why has it become so difficult to move on with the choice u guys made consciously, focus on the person u believed could turn things around and u voted into power? Enjoy the Ride

1 Like

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by phranq(m): 9:27am On Jul 21, 2016
Timbi:
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has appealed to states to take over the repairs and maintenance of federal roads in order to reduce the burden on the Federal Government.

The council made the appeal Tuesday during a two-hour meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.

It said states that could afford to take over federal highways should do so as quickly as possible so that the roads do not go into "total deterioration."

Briefing State House correspondents later, Women Affairs Minister Aisha Alhassan said the FEC l approved a memo presented by the Minister of Power, Works, Housing and Urban Development, Babatunde Fashola, for the re-designation of two roads in Kaduna State from being federal roads to state roads as requested by Governor Nasir e-Rufai.

Alhassan said e-Rufai had sent a request to President Buhari to re-designate the Nnamdi Azikwe and the Ahmadu Bello Expressways in Kaduna as state roads so that the state government would "have the power, without any inhibition, to work on the roads to make them better for Kaduna indegenes."

The minister noted that the council was very pleased with e-Rufai's request "because ordinarily, other state governors should have requested for permission to repair and be reimbursed.

"But he (e-Rufai) asked for outright handing over to the Kaduna State government so that they can take care of it as their own, and asked the (federal) government to complete the eastern by-pass ‎which is outside Kaduna linking the North-central to North-western Nigeria. That was also approved by the council because it is a welcome idea.

"The council also appealed to other state governments that can afford to take over federal roads to lessen the burden on federal government, to enable them repair and maintain roads as quickly as possible so that they don't go into total deterioration," the minister said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/fg-begs-states-to-take-over-federal-roads/156150.html

I hope d Kaduna state govt will not wake up one to demand outright hand over of d refinery in dia state?? na gud morning dey bring how r u??

1 Like

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by fiftynaira(m): 9:46am On Jul 21, 2016
Ameachi did it so kini big deal?
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by comeandmarry: 9:46am On Jul 21, 2016
FG begs stae governors to take over presidential salary
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by FEGNO: 9:48am On Jul 21, 2016
I THOUGHT BUHARI CATEGORICALLY STATED THERE WAS NO NEED FOR ANY RESTRUCTURING. SO UNDER WHAT FRAME WORK WOULD A STATE TAKE OVER FEDERAL ROAD TO THE EXCLUSION OF ITS OWN STATE ROADS AND EXPEND ITS REVENUE WITHOUT DIGGING A HOLE FOR IT SELF. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT ALL STATES WHICH HAD FORMERLY WORKED ON FEDERAL ROADS DID SO WITH AN UNDERSTANDING OF A REFUND AT A FUTURE DATE NOT AS A CHARITY CASE AS HAS BEEN SUGGUESTES BY SOME HERE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by 400billionman: 9:54am On Jul 21, 2016
For the first time in Nigeria's history, the federal govt is begging states and maybe local governments to take over the maintenance of federal roads

This is gradual decntralization. Booharry opposes it but he will do it..

When we told him not to peg naira to dollar excahnge rate, he refused but he has obeyed of late..

Before 2019, the federal govt will be a ceremonial government..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by solaseunmatthew(m): 9:54am On Jul 21, 2016
Wonderfully thought. Streets in Lagos cN actually be constructed by individual or community but will the omo onile allow them? ote author=Drabeey post=47741831]I think government should allow citizens develop the roads too. If people are given chance, it will reduce the suffering lingering on these roads.... As many people will develop thier streets and likes

DrabeeyWasHere[/quote]
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by amaechi1: 10:04am On Jul 21, 2016
SamMilla1:
While federal government do what?

It was the state kaduna, that applied to the fed to take up the repair, and it was approved by FEC. What th OP simply did was to turn the real information UPSIDE down and mislead some Nigerians who may not have the opportunity to access to resolution that came out after FEC meeting yesterday.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by excanny: 10:05am On Jul 21, 2016
Something in me just hates this Elrufai. Were it in GEJ's era would he had made this kind of request. He would be the first criticizing the federal govt for being incompetent. Petty attention seeker.

Nothing wrong in his request just his hypocrisy that annoys me. Always be fair to all in this world.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by bams2999(m): 10:06am On Jul 21, 2016
Federal Government are states Government
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by WebSurfer(m): 10:28am On Jul 21, 2016
Anticorruption:
Akpabio did wonders with federal roads in akwa ibom

if only the foolish former abia governor had allowed him to do that road linking abia with ikot ekpene undecided

aka- nung udoe
uyo - itu
ikot ekpene to uyo
eket to etinan

etc

Bros i dont understand this your post oo, Akpabio , Akwa , idungerrit
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by HomeOfMe(f): 10:30am On Jul 21, 2016
Timbi:
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has appealed to states to take over the repairs and maintenance of federal roads in order to reduce the burden on the Federal Government.

States that can't even pay salaries..
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by ndosorry: 10:31am On Jul 21, 2016
Under former Gov. Peter Obi, who constructed some federal roads,FG still owes Anambra money. When it is time for FG to repair Enugu Osha road,they came up with the idea that states should repair FG roads. where do they expect states govt to get the money? to tax citizens or what? Better change your game plan now fg.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by makdcash(m): 10:38am On Jul 21, 2016
Lol..... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

carmag:
Oh lord... has it gotten to this height?...

""Now I believe that there are fire on the mountain

Nigerians which way now?

""runs into the inner room,"" search es for my passport ~~~,,,,,where is my luggage,."" i don't want to be a victim of this collapse even my dog must not stay behind
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by HomeOfMe(f): 10:39am On Jul 21, 2016
Mynd44:

The federal government need to hands off Aebokuta expressway and Lagos Ibadan expressway.

I will love to see a fast train from Ibadan to Lagos (mainland then the light rail to the island while BRT to ither areas) passing through Ogun state. If it will take people 45 or 30 minutes non stop to get to Lagos from Ibadan, people will move out and reduce the population of Lagos and the hugh cost of housing.

Even without the train, a joint venture between these three states to build and toll that road would have seen it completed more than a decade ago. The FG has too much in their hands, they should hands off some things.

I agree with that;and if they also allow individuals,especially land owners/landlords to tar and repair inner street roads,it would really help development.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 21, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

The relatives of Benjamin Netanyahu from Uganda will come for your head for describing their Hero as an incompetent Ineffectual Buffon.

I love the way things are going. Sooner or later, we will all be forced to make compromise. There will be no secession to suit the north, but there will be regional autonomy to appease the south.

They are all coming back to our proposition for the past 25years.

With the Regional Autonomy we will take our destiny into our hands and whosoever wants to be doing Haram to Books in his region is free, whosoever that wants to be brandishing weapons all over his region in.the name of "we are militants" will also be free, while we can lock down our region for progress and development at our own pace-- whether jet or snail pace.

Apart from your unnecessary first paragraph, I'm in tune with your brilliant submission.

The average ND person doesn't truly want to leave Nigeria if Abuja will hands off our resources. We should be managing our resources while paying taxes to Abuja.
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by uvalued(m): 10:45am On Jul 21, 2016
angels09:
But the FG can take over the resources of the States.
gbam! land grazing reserve is fg concen but roads should be handled by state... i think fg should consider true federalism so that regions or states handle its esources...on anothe thought is it fg way o technically keying ino true federalism
Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by SuperS1Panther: 10:56am On Jul 21, 2016
dearpreye:

Apart from your unnecessary first paragraph, I'm in tune with your brilliant submission.

The average ND person doesn't truly want to leave Nigeria if Abuja will hands off our resources. We should be managing our resources while paying taxes to Abuja.

The core of the problem is how do we go about it? Yes we need to amend the constitution first. We also need to have the number to defeat the supporters of status quo before any amendment can be achieved.

It will take the collaborative efforts of SW, SS, SE and NC to achieve this. It is a game of numbers that can only see the light of day through collaboration.

SS can shout for Resource Control from now till thy kingdom come or even blow up all oil installations in SS, or SE can continue their delusional shout for Biafrau'd -- it will all come to nought because you simpy do not have the number to achieve such.

1 Like

Re: Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 21, 2016
400billionman:
For the first time in Nigeria's history, the federal govt is begging states and maybe local governments to take over the maintenance of federal roads

This is gradual decntralization. Booharry opposes it but he will do it..

When we told him not to peg naira to dollar excahnge rate, he refused but he has obeyed of late..

Before 2019, the federal govt will be a ceremonial government..

Nature has a way of balancing out unworkable systems.

The FG must give away a lot of the enormous but unnecessary burdens. The states should be doing much of the work while the FG should be limited to currency, foreign policy, defense, Immigration, etc. We don't need any Federal fire service; Federal police, etc.

The economic woes will definitely bring about the much needed restructuring. This is a huge blessing in disguise.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari At The Inauguration Ceremony Of Idriss In Chad (pics / Toyin Saraki At 'Fifty' Film Premiere (Photo) / Sex Scandal: US To Present Video Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.