Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers (12455 Views)

Reps Reject Oil Firms’ Relocation To Niger Delta / Federal Roads: FG Begs States To Take Over / New Delta Suicide Squad NDSS Emerges, Issues 7Day Ultimatum To Private Oil Firms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by osinbanjoisaliar: 10:07pm On Jul 12, 2016
The Federal Government has appealed to major oil marketers operating in the country not to retrench workers in the oil and gas sector.

Minister of Labour and Employment Sen. Chris Ngige, made the appeal on Tuesday in Abuja at a meeting he held with the leadership of PENGASSAN, NUPENG and the International Oil Companies.

He said that the meeting was fallout of Monday’s meeting held to address the concern raised by PENGASSAN and NUPENG on the declaration of redundancy by the major oil marketers.

PENGASSAN had threatened to embark on a nationwide strike beginning from July 7 over some issues, including the alleged mass sacking of its members by various oil and gas companies.

Ngige urged the IOCs not to declare redundancy as the last resort if there was economic downturn in the country, saying that it should be declared in the proper manner.

He said: “Government will not say you should not declare redundancy; redundancy will always come if the economy is not doing well.

“That is why it is in the Labour Laws of every country; but what we are against is when this particular law is applied strictly as it is enshrined in the labour laws.

“Companies sometimes carry out redundancy immediately without discussion or without even informing the workers, this is very wrong.

“The redundancy law as stated in Section 20 of the Act defines redundancy as when you cannot carry on with the number of staff you have due to circumstances beyond your control.

“You must discuss with the workers or the workers representatives directly and you must show them why the situation is like that.

“This may include showing them the books of the company, explaining to them that the company is not doing well and then you all agree on the difference.”

The minister explained that the labour law stated that redundancy should not be embarked on due to personal dislike.

He urged the companies to adhere to the rules and regulations when dealing with the issue of redundancy if such issue was already in the purview of the ministry.

He noted that labour laws were meant to protect the employees and iron out issues affecting both parties before things are damaged.

“There are other ways of preventing redundancy -that is by looking at the expatriate quota; you know what it costs keeping one expatriate in this country, so you can find a way of reducing them.

“Another way is that you can also look at the peaks of offices in the managerial and the management section and you can come down on it.

“These are some of the various ways we can use to maintain equilibrium in the employment of labour market in any country.

“When you push people into the labour market, they will join the army of unemployed persons and can constitute security nuisance to us,” he said.

The minister said other issues being discussed at the meeting include unjust labour practices by the oil companies, cases of rustication of job and positions due to union activities , among others.

PENGASSAN President Mr Johnson Olabode assured that if the issues affecting the unions could be concluded in the meeting, its National Executive Council would call an emergency meeting to call of its strike.

“I want to assure that if this meeting is properly concluded, we will do the needful,” he said, and commended the minister for his commitment to amicably resolve the issues affecting the sector. (NAN)

http://punchng.com/fg-begs-oil-majors-not-retrench-workers/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by SeverusSnape(m): 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2016
Jokers in government. After making nonsense economic policies that doesn't favour anyone, they're begging companies not to downsize.
Last time it was banks, Now oil firms.

Where are the three million jobs the dullard promised to provide?

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by nnachukz(m): 10:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
When will these people realise that begging a firm not to sack workers when it is really losing profit and unable to pay its staff doesn't make sense. Rolling out good policies and providing security to their installations and staff by sorting out your differences with the militants will easily do the magic without begging any firm. Did GEJ who APC chooses to hate beg anybody to retain any of his staff?

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by omaiyale: 10:23pm On Jul 12, 2016
Will FG pay their workers salaries ?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Flexherbal(m): 10:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Jokers
I thisnk this is the right word to use.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Nne5: 10:32pm On Jul 12, 2016
grin grin grin
BUHARI sef!
I wish i could help bubu the corruption fighter wink

8 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by pilotab55(m): 11:18pm On Jul 12, 2016
FG under buhari is like a bingo dog who knows only to bark when it see unharmed visitor but humble when harmed visitor is around. A good economic team will never make any govt beg rather it lead to good enviroment for investors

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 12, 2016
So what should they do?@ fg

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Nobody: 12:33am On Jul 13, 2016
Naija which way? What difference do they think they've made now. Laughable government.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by RichYoungNigga: 7:27am On Jul 13, 2016
I wish i have the power to make Nigeria great again.

See how the giant of Africa is going down slowly, small time nah ordinary Ghana go dey talk to us anyhow

2 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by herzern(m): 7:27am On Jul 13, 2016
Please....ion qet......someone should explain......will FG pay the workers for them?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Araoluwa005(m): 7:28am On Jul 13, 2016
very funny

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Houseofglam7(f): 7:28am On Jul 13, 2016
Mtchewwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Firefire(m): 7:29am On Jul 13, 2016
Another stupidity of Buhary's goberment.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by OXYZ: 7:29am On Jul 13, 2016
A Ti Gbo
Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 13, 2016
Buhari is a joke.

An actual joke.

You are crying not because you are too happy.

You are crying because you are tired and helpless.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Jimi23(m): 7:29am On Jul 13, 2016
Why wont they beg when all their children have been "pushed" into Oil Companies thru the back door? Nigerians are also begging the FG not to kill us with financial hardship with their watery and shallow econonic policies.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by frisky2good(m): 7:29am On Jul 13, 2016
If the government cannpt pay salaries, how will private companies pay?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Observant: 7:31am On Jul 13, 2016
Yeah don't sack them, just pay them with your scrotum.

7 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by CYBERCRIME(m): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2016
All I need is 10sure odd from genius source 08132328683 bet9ja must pay

1 Like

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by maxzzo1(m): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2016
Failed APC govt lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I will repeat myself APC n bubu are bad luck....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Trapnews: 7:32am On Jul 13, 2016
grin
Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Trapnews: 7:34am On Jul 13, 2016
pilotab55:
FG under buhari is like a bingo dog who knows only to bark when it see unharmed visitor but humble when harmed visitor is around. A good economic team will never make any govt beg rather it lead to good enviroment for investors
Please check the bold undecided

2 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by nijanigga: 7:34am On Jul 13, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Jokers in government. After making nonsense economic policies that doesn't favour anyone, they're begging companies not to downsize.

see your life, you're not even employable.
Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by prstge007: 7:36am On Jul 13, 2016
SeverusSnape:

I follow you, they are there not making things right and keep begging up and down.
I am waiting for them to beg unemployed youth while senators continue to live big.

2 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by deathmen12: 7:37am On Jul 13, 2016
bunch of noise maker, after all d noise and promises... Nigeria going down everyday.

2 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 13, 2016
Oil price drop= oil companies job loss.

Global thing .

Let's be fair, most oil companies are sacking workers around the world because of the fall in oil prices. Job losses have occured in America and the UK to give two examples.

I won't be surprised if Nigeria gets affected.

Thing is, this is another sign that our dependence on oil is wrong. APC must move from oil dependent economies to industrial dependent economic structure....no matter how hard the road may be.

3 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by JoSaintiago: 7:39am On Jul 13, 2016
When u elect a prone begging beggar from one backward part of the country....am surprise Ngige is d one doing this,in business no begging create a favourable atmosphere and watch how,things,please buhari shud in matter of urgency return our corruption don't quote me ..who fighting corruption help?

1 Like

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 13, 2016
The oil industry has always been a boom and bust industry. The layoffs ate worldwide.

There is next to nothing that can be done, until the price of oil climbs to more profitable levels.

Eventually the palliatives proposed by pengassan, though laudable are band aids for the real problem - We are currently in a bust cycle

Kachikwu is a veteran of the sector and I hope he is involved in the negotiations.

2 Likes

Re: FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers by TheNonce: 7:40am On Jul 13, 2016
undecided

Confusion break bone?

**in felas voice**

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo: "My Successor Has Nothing To Do" – Rochas Okorocha Brags(Video) / Chimaroke Nnamani: FBI Not Looking For Me, I Just Returned From The US / Edo Polls: Ize-iyamu Tenders 988 INEC Voter Registers As Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.