Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here (6403 Views)

Protest In Abuja For The Expulsion Of Saeed-Koozechi Iranian Ambassador / Video - Nnamdi Kanu Is A Rapist And Women Abuser - Ngozi Madu Reveals / Buhari To Rule Nigeria Is Like Asking A Rapist To Watch Over A Virgin – FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by Kobojunkie: 4:27am On Sep 19, 2009
mekuslogan:

Let me answer that question by saying that there is no vicarious liability in criminal law.

In other words, whatever offence a father commits cannot be visited on the son and vice versa.
It is a universally accepted cannon of law. It is not restricted to Nigeria. It is also applicable in the United States of America. That is the law.

But when it comes to international diplomacy, the American government or the home country has a lot of latitudes to look into the pedigree, the background, the person, even the family of the person who is being donated to them as an ambassador. It is within their latitude.

Again, we also have to consider the norms in America. America is a country that places so much value on morals. America is a country where nobody can just wake up and assert himself or present himself as a legislator, a governor or as a president.

I agree with the first part. But now for the bit on morals, I do not think this has much or anything to do with MORALS. I mean it was not like he was rejected by some vicar or imam or something. He was rejected by the government.
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by bigben3: 7:23am On Sep 19, 2009
it serves the idiot well
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by Sagamite(m): 8:08am On Sep 19, 2009
presido1:

@Sagamite

Every Nigerian political office holder is a criminal by default. Birds of the same feather flock together.
Nemesis will keep on following them.

I see. No wonder people from other country treat you a Nigerian as a 419 by default. They have exactly your mentality and philosophy. Brilliant!

eldee:

You must be having a laugh . . .
Just recently, Ciavarella's daughter resigned from her Assistant DA role for 'personal reasons'
That's just last month.

I can't start listing names now . . .but this one was on CNN today

Expansiate on the story behind your point. I don't know anything about Ciavarella and his daughter.
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by Sagamite(m): 8:11am On Sep 19, 2009
mekuslogan:

Prof Oyebode further described the development as another slap on the face of the President Umar Yar’Adua administration “ for not doing its home work on one occasion too many.”

Although I am a fervent critic of Yaradua (the most useless President so far), this statement is as stupid as they come.

And this man is a Prof?

So Yaradua is suppose to know what the son of a man would do in future? This Oyebode is really a slowpoke.

And I guess people would be kissing his arse and hanging on every word he says in his village because he is "Professor".

Daft dimwit miss road and becomes professor. One of the we must always find something wrong with us and our systems by force.

If we do not respect ourselves, probably the reason SA film producers may have felt more valiant to dirty us indiscriminately in the film "District 9".
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by Sagamite(m): 10:13am On Sep 19, 2009
I also seem to observe the fervent reference to how things are done in the West like if whatever the West does is the wholly grail of behaviours.

For the record, not only do I object to an individual being held responsible for the behaviour or act of another individual he has limited/no control of OR has no access to information that would have instigated him to control, I also completely object to people resigning over a mistake that only a Professor of Hindsight, Grand Commander of Retrospective Decision-making could have spotted.

I only have a problem with people if I have reservations about their Competence and/or Intentions.
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by mekuslogan: 4:44am On Sep 20, 2009
-------------------Meanwhile, Nigeria’s Ambassador-designate to the United States, Professor Tunde Adeniran, has withdrawn his acceptance of the appointment. This followed the public outcry that has greeted the alleged involvement of one of his children, Adedamola, in a rape case in the United States of America.
Adeniran, who was minister of education under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, had served as Nigeria's envoy to Germany.
He told THISDAY last night that he withdrew from his appointment in the national interest. “I decided to put the nation first in this matter.”
The former minister has also formally tendered his letter of withdrawal from his ambassadorial posting to President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.
A statement by Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Joe Keshi, obtained by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, said Adeniran’s withdrawal was because of family reasons.
The  statement reads:  ''The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to announce that Professor Tunde Adeniran has withdrawn his appointment as the Ambassador-Designate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to the United States of America.
“In his withdrawal letter submitted to President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, through the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, said Adeniran attributed his action to personal and family reasons.
“He thanked the President for the appointment, lauded the Commander-in-Chief’s 7-point agenda and pledged his commitment and loyalty to the administration’s national transformation drive.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=154953
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by OyinB69: 6:24am On Apr 18, 2011
UPDATE

According to Maryland court records, all charges against the three defendants were dropped. Despite evidence against the three and witness reports, prosecutors refused to hold them accountable for their actions.

Shows how far lots of money and a good lawyer can get you in the United States of America.

As an aside to the father's ambassadorial refusal, when the son committed his crimes (he has a long rap sheet including ID theft and fraud) he may have been eligible for diplomatic immunity if Professor Adeniran had been accepted by the United States. If the father had been confirmed by the U.S. and the son received immunity, it would have hampered the criminal investigation.

Not sure anyone cares about this anymore though but thought it is worth mentioning in light of the new ambassadors Nigeria is rolling out.
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by Fogman(m): 6:54am On Apr 18, 2011
OyinB69:

UPDATE

According to Maryland court records, all charges against the three defendants were dropped. Despite evidence against the three and witness reports, prosecutors refused to hold them accountable for their actions.

Shows how far lots of money and a good lawyer can get you in the United States of America.

As an aside to the father's ambassadorial refusal, when the son committed his crimes (he has a long rap sheet including ID theft and fraud) he may have been eligible for diplomatic immunity if Professor Adeniran had been accepted by the United States. If the father had been confirmed by the U.S. and the son received immunity, it would have hampered the criminal investigation.

Not sure anyone cares about this anymore though but thought it is worth mentioning in light of the new ambassadors Nigeria is rolling out.

Though events have since overtaken it. All the same, thanks for the update!
Re: Your Son Is A Rapist, You Cannot Be An Ambassador Here by Sagamite(m): 12:57pm On Apr 18, 2011
OyinB69:

UPDATE

If I was his father, if Iinterview him myself and he appeared guilty, there is no fcking way in hell I would pay for his lawyer.

If I knew he had a history of doing 419, I would DEFINITELY ask for his exclusion in the list of my family members that have diplomatic immunity even without the rape case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Will Ask For Jonathan In 2015 — Okupe / Shocking Muslim Scholar Brags 'Jesus Is A Servant/slave Of God And Not his Son / President Buhari Wear A Cap On A Long-sleeve Shirt As He Assented To A Bill- Ph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.