Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,616 members, 7,827,312 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Are Still Single At The Age Of 40years - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Are Still Single At The Age Of 40years (462 Views)

Why Are You Still Single ? / My Aunt Is Single At 48, Advice Plz. / Counter Thread: 10 Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Suck At Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Are Still Single At The Age Of 40years by ottalo: 9:26am On Jul 31, 2016
WHY NIGERIAN GIRLS ARE STILL SINGLE AT THE AGE OF 40YEARS
Being single is not just something to play with or joke with there are a lot of factors that may be the ingredient that may be the key factors responsible for the delay.
When unmarried ladies reach a certain age, depending on the societies they found themselves people begin to refer to them as “old cargo" etc.
Especially here in Nigeria, where we have different reasons why most ladies are not married and people still look upon a young unmarried girl as though she were to blame for her state. Fingers are pointed accusingly at her regardless of the reasons or her own circumstances. The girl soon becomes the butt of ridicule, accusations, and meddling by those around her and even those closest to her.
The reasons for the girl’s delay in getting married or in not getting married at all are many and varies. But the most prevalent delay of a young Nigerian girl getting married is insecurity, especially financial security, proud, and education. However, there are social circumstances and pressures that also create delays in getting married for the ladies.
There are also other reasons such as high bride price, which may make some young men run from getting married on time. Little wonder why most marriages you see today are consummated by older men and women. Then there are families which demand that a prospective suitor have certain characteristics or else they will not allow their daughters or sisters to marry him.
What do different classes of girls in Nigeria say about marriage why they are not married?
How much do they suffer because they are not married?
Can "RUNS" decide on when a girl gets married?
Here different classes of girls in Nigeria and reasons why they are unmarried
1. Educated and working classes
2. The beautiful ladies

1. Educated and working class
Mary, who is 38 years old, said: “I tried to imitate some girls in my family by carrying the banner of ‘No To Marriage’ — at least not until I had completed my education, graduated and worked as a accountant. As time passed, I became increasingly involved in trying to achieve this goal and to be fair, I received many proposals at that time from North, East, and Western parts of this country but the men did not meet my standards. And my friends and family agreed with me because they wanted me to have what I wanted in a partner. My mother, however, God rest her soul, disagreed and used to try to convince me to take the proposals more seriously. She told me over and over not to imitate my cousins since they had not received proposals as good as mine in the first place. But I didn’t listen to her and thought that as I was still young and attractive, I had plenty of time to consider different options and choose the right man. The days and months flew by and with the deaths of my mother and father, I was left alone. Most of my friends are married now; I’m still alone and my looks are fading with time. I realize too late that I’ve wasted my life setting impossible conditions for the men who wanted to marry me.”
When you look out this classes of ladies you can observed that they are killed with pride.
2. The beautiful ladies
Well when I look out most beautiful ladies in Nigeria who think beauty is everything and they can get whatever they want with their beauty I sorry for them.. because, all is vanity upon vanity, this set of ladies sometimes think their beauty can attract rich men to marry then, turning down every proposals by men who do not meet their expectation and selecting men, looking out for sugar daddies, clubbing, testing different kind of men, without thinking of how old they are, before they realize this, they are already clocking 30-38 years,at this time they start disturbing God's ears with their prayers for marriage and why at the age of 20 something God has already sent thier man to then and which they have rejected his proposal … I pity this kind of ladies. This class are also consumed by proud

3. Family people another force
This is common among rich family in Nigeria especially the parents of the ladies who thinks their daughters must get married to the president son even to the world riches man son.
Here are some views from this category
Dr. Nkechi, a single woman in her 40s, said: “I wronged myself by going along with my mother’s decisions. My mother refused every suitor on the basis that he wasn’t worthy of us. And what made things worse was that my father was so much weaker than my mother that she had ‘the’ say in everything related to my sisters and me for more than 20 years. My sisters and I never had the courage to disagree with her or challenge her. And if the suitor was up to our standards, she would make up conditions that were impossible to fulfill. We never knew what she wanted from a prospective husband. The situation continued until we were no longer young but were still being called ‘Miss’. Now whenever anyone asks us why we are not married, we justify ourselves by saying that we are too involved with our professional lives. Our mother still dreams of a perfect husband for each of us; in her eyes, we are still ‘little girls’ even though we are all highly qualified adults.”

Temilope from Ogun state, who is 35 and still single, said: “Yes, it is not easy being an unmarried woman in our society. Girls who refuse to marry don’t do so without a reason. Very often the reason is her family’s attitude and that is the reason in my case. Today I’m 35 and I’ve been getting proposals since I was 19; my father, however, refused them all since he was influenced by my stepmother who accused every man of being a gold digger, greedy for our money and social status. At the same time, she managed to marry off her own daughters to men who were not always up to the standards she set for me. The result was that I focused on my studies since I had no other outlet. I had to dodge the queries about my being single. People pitied me and said how strange it was that with my looks, education and status that I was still unmarried. Even after I graduated and began working, suitors approached my family but all were turned away. We have reached the point where no one will ask for me since it is well-known that everybody will be refused.”

Kudirat, who is over 30, said: “My love for children surpasses everything in the world. I was so eager to get married and have a family but my mother refused every man who proposed to me or my sister. When I asked my mother why she refused them even though many came from prominent families, she answered that this was in accordance with our late father’s will that we not marry anyone outside our tribe The years passed by and our younger brothers and cousins got married while we have remained single.”

Kemi and her sister are teachers and together earn more than NGN 1,600,000. Every month. They say their father refuses to let them marry because of what they earn; if they marry, he will lose access to their money. He treats every man as someone who wants only his daughter’s salary. He does not want to lose it.

Leyefa from Bayelsa, who turned 34 only recently, said: “My chances of getting married are decreasing if not already ended. In this day and age, young men are unlikely to marry a girl they’ve not seen — or at least one which their relatives have seen. After all, this is how girls get married; someone from among the man’s family or friends sees the girl and recommends her. Since I’m not allowed to leave the house or go out or work, no one will see me and so I remain unmarried. These conditions are the ones I have lived under since childhood; my mother didn’t allow me to go anywhere but school and so I didn’t make many friends. In order to have friends, you must be able to come and go and that is what I was not allowed to do. And even after I graduated, I wasn’t allowed to work. This made me ask my family what had been the point of my education and my degree if I was not to be allowed to work? They said both would be an advantage when I raised my children. I have now gone to a matchmaker in hopes that she can find a husband for me.”

Blessing, who is 37, said: “My not being married is a matter that is out of my hands; I am the firstborn in my family and we aren't rich so I cannot settle down now, I have to work to provide for them, I travel a lot, Abuja, Lagos, Kano etc. I just have to make money!!! If I just agree to marry a man now, will he be providing feeding money for all my siblings and poor parents?
Women no longer feel that their worth or status is dependent upon their husband. Another factor in delaying marriages is the recent craze of "runs" a lady prefers to hang out with Politicians and others just to make ends meet then in the long run, no sensible man will want to approach her for a relationship talking more of marriage.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Are Still Single At The Age Of 40years by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 31, 2016
Same shıt everyday undecided

Don't you all ever get tired ??

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Are Still Single At The Age Of 40years by wordbank(m): 9:42am On Jul 31, 2016
Ask urself y men no dey throw bouquet, who wan carry him two hands catch problem? grin
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Are Still Single At The Age Of 40years by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 31, 2016
We all make it seem like a woman isn't complete till she is married, gee I wonder why. Another societal pressure BS by BS I mean Bull Shi.it

(1) (Reply)

. / How Do I Get Over Heartbreak. / Don't Make Her Cry Please!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.