Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,045 members, 7,814,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food - Pets (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food (74732 Views)

This Thread is Strictly For DOG LOVERS.. No Selling Of Pups, Commercially. / Plz Advice,is This Ok For Dog? / Info About Dogs For Dog Lovers (in Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:11pm On Aug 27, 2023
horlams:

Thanks a lot. I boil, sun-dry and grind the eggshells into a powdery form. Thanks once again
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:11pm On Aug 27, 2023
fabulouskay:

IT DOESN'T GET SPOILT as long as u keep it in a 'cool, dry place and away from rodents'. I keep mine in covered buckets(to preserve the scent too). I once kept a batch for 8 months...
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:16pm On Aug 27, 2023
Mccarthyal:
The Soya Beans is a major constituent of the formula. I don't know how it will come out when it is removed from it. Was it watery? This may be why your dog didn't like it.

While milk is a good source of protein, it is not a legume, and it won't give the consistency required that soya beans will. Plus, soya beans adds to the aroma of the formula

You can actually roast the soya beans yourself. Just get a pan, pour sand into it and place on fire. When the sand is hot enough, pour some soya beans into it. Begin to turn until the soya beans changes colour from light brown to dark brown. Remove it from the sand using a perforated serving spoon and sieve the sand out. It's as easy as that. You can roast your groundnuts the same way.

I don't want you to give up on this. It is a very nutritious meal and will save you loads of money. It's my dog's staple food at the moment. Thanks for the compliment.

Please let me know how it goes. Good luck.

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:17pm On Aug 27, 2023
Mccarthyal:
Here's an infographic for those interested...

Step 1: Pour some quantity of the formula into a pot.

Step 2: Add some water to it, mix thoroughly and place on fire.

Step 3: Begin to stir. When it's a bit thick, add some more water and continue stirring. Allow to cook. The mixture should have doubled the original quantity when cooked.

Step 4: Serve cool.

I hope this helps. Cc @countsparrow @mrflow1 @Namdeenero
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:18pm On Aug 27, 2023
Mccarthyal:
Whatever unit of measurement at your disposal. For example, if you're using the regular "mudu" market sellers use, it will be something like this:

1 mudu of corn
1/2 mudu of soya beans
1/2 mudu of groundnuts &
Fish meal

If you're doing 2 mudu's of corn, the others should be 1 mudu of each.
I hope it's clear now?

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:22pm On Aug 27, 2023
fabulouskay:

No! Wait till mid of the 4th week before u start giving them and it must be watery. If I may ask, why do u want to wean them now?

For now, the dam's milk alone should be enough as long as she's eating well, not sick and the litter size is normal. Otherwise, use NAN milk and feeder to feed each pup personally.
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:24pm On Aug 27, 2023
GospelOkonye:
i read this a while ago and screen shot it as it would come in handy some day, i have a Cane corso and German Shepherd, and i have been feeding them Pedigree kibbles since birth, currently 7months and eight months respectively; although expensive but the outlook of the dogs was amazing; but currently the bag of Pedigree 15kg costs #19,500 and those dogs finish them in a month. Last week i decided to try this meal here and i went to the market and got them all prepared, the first day i served it, these dogs did not eat it. So i kept the food and mixed it with canned meat; and the dogs ate it like sugar, they licked the entire plate clean. The next day, i served it too and they finished it, i serve them twice daily currently; in the morning by 7:am and by 4pm. and they always licked it clean, i mix with rice, soup, stew, more fish, meat broth, yam, pawpaw, crackers, and alot of other things. But this cooking of Local feed, its the best; they have gained good weight, their feaces is very good, solid feaces and does not smell much and they lick ever thing up. I want to add Fish feed to the cooking, the dogs cannot be over "nutrified". Thanks once again chiefs
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:30pm On Aug 27, 2023
fabulouskay:

...try 'Kuli-kuli' (groundnut cake) crumbs from the Mallams in the market first... A bowl cost abt #400.
Also, go to a feedmill and buy 'VITAMIN PREMIX' to mix with everything before grinding.
And lastly, go to any vet-shop(particularly the poultry ones) to buy 'BIOVIT/ANIMAL TONIC' to put in the drinking water, or more effectively, in the food after cooking.

So sorry I replied a bit late sir
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:32pm On Aug 27, 2023
fabulouskay:
IMPORTANT INFO
Guys, just as u know, I've been an avid promoter of this local dog feed recipe because I've been using it religiously for my dogs for years with some reasonable level of success... But I must confess, it hasn't been as effective as any manufactured dog feed, not even our Nigeria-made Binngo feed, no matter how much 'protein' I add.
'Why?' I asked myself. So, I did some digging and discovered that although Dogs are omnivores, they are carnivores by scientific classification: They do not flourish while on Plant-protein based recipes and they do not produce enough Amylase to digest starch! This explains why manufactured dog feeds and feed supplements like BullyMax are expensive as they are mostly animal-protein based.
So, here are my suggestions if u want your dog to flourish:
1. keep feeding your pet with this recipe but supplement it with BullyMax, Gorilla Max or the likes;
2. replace most of the Gnut and Soya with EQUAL quantity meat-meal or fish-meal;
3. Buy a lot of beef/pork parts to supplement it daily;
4. Buy some dog feed and mix with this local recipe
5. Switch permanently to manufactured feeds(It almost amounts to same thing (minus the stress) as a Kg of fishmeal is #1,200 and a Bowl of dried Cow kidney and liver is #1,000) OR
6. Stay on this recipe if u are satisfied with the results or can't afford Plenty Animal-protein for. now.

Please note that I am not saying that this local recipe is bad, but just that it is clearly not good enough if you want an enviable dog. For more info, visit these sites;
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/canine-nutrition/dogs-carnivores-omnivores/
http://www.eukanuba.com/dog-articles/dog-appearance/why-all-proteins-are-not-same
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/01/04/dog-cat-species-appropriate-diets.aspx
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by JOGICE(m): 10:37pm On Aug 27, 2023
These info are golden
rumenase:

chondroitin and glucosamine are really important especially for large breeds but the truth is that some of these dry feeds don't have them while those have them are usually in minute quantities and the best way is to supplement and besides this local dog food can be made with crayfish and chicken and even ginger which have glucosamine or better still get the supplement.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Ezebinaugwu(m): 8:57am On Aug 28, 2023
Mccarthyal:
Your day may eat this, however, this isn’t how it should look. The fish looks like it was added after cooking. It should be added with the other ingredients and ground together before cooking.

I grounded the fish with the other ingredients. This one i added is after i have finished cookito, i just sprinkle the fried fish on top

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Breeds Albino Ball Python That Smiles Right Back At You (Photos) / I Met This Unique Family That Keeps Pythons As Pets. / Photos: A Pitbull Dog That Killed The Owner...(viewer's Discretion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.