Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,358 members, 7,812,014 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke (25461 Views)

RESTRUCTURING: CONFAB 2014 Report Endorses 18 New States (LIST) / Vivian Okeke And Ibrahim Isah Fail To Recite National Anthem & Pledge (Video) / Vivian Okeke Fails To Recite National Anthem, Pledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by Ngozi123(f): 10:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
TomHagen:
So you want an apology, what is an apology going to achieve?(Not that I agree that the apology is what is making Germany prosper).

Not just an apology but an acknowledgment of the terrors that went on in that war, as well as the other things listed. Germany was able to move on because they accepted their horrible past. In order to do that, you have to admit to the wrongs made in the past. Nigeria has not done this, which is why history will repeat itself. You can't just put a plaster on a gaping wound.
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by TomHagen: 10:12pm On Aug 01, 2016
Ngozi123:

Not just an apology but an acknowledgment of the terrors that went on in that war, as well as the other things listed. Germany was able to move on because they accepted their horrible past. In order to do that, you have to admit to the wrongs made in the past. Nigeria has not done this, which is why history will repeat itself. You can't just put a plaster on a gaping wound.
Why demand an apology when you are still intent on dividing the country. Do you really think the easterners did no wrong?
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by Ngozi123(f): 10:28pm On Aug 01, 2016
TomHagen:
Why demand an apology when you are still intent on dividing the country. Do you really think the easterners did no wrong?

Whether the country divides or not, Nigeria should apologise to the B.iafrans. I did not say that the B.iafran side did no wrong; I believe that Nigeria should first acknowledge and then apologise for their actions during and after the war- they are the ones trying to cover things up, not the B.iafrans. I also believe that the Biafran side should apologise for the terrible things they did in the war, although not as bad as the Nigerian side, the rape and plunder they committed in some of their conquered territories were reprehensible. However, B.iafra is not an official country, at least for now, so I don't see how an official apology could be made. Nigeria is an official country so an official apology shouldn't be too difficult to do.
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by TomHagen: 10:44pm On Aug 01, 2016
Ngozi123:

Whether the country divides or not, Nigeria should apologise to the B.iafrans. I did not say that the B.iafran side did no wrong; I believe that Nigeria should first acknowledge and then apologise for their actions during and after the war- they are the ones trying to cover things up, not the B.iafrans. I also believe that the Biafran side should apologise for the terrible things they did in the war, although not as bad as the Nigerian side, the rape and plunder they committed in some of their conquered territories were reprehensible. However, B.iafra is not an official country, at least for now, so I don't see how an official apology could be made. Nigeria is an official country so an official apology shouldn't be too difficult to do.
Personal question: Do you want the country to divide? The Nigerians appeared to have wreaked more havoc because they possessed superior firepower, it would have been the same for the Biafrans if the reverse was the case. If Biafra is not an official country, who then should be the recipient of this apology? Or do you just want a statement on television, a press conference perhaps?
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by Ngozi123(f): 10:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
TomHagen:
Personal question: Do you want the country to divide? The Nigerians appeared to have wreaked more havoc because they possessed superior firepower, it would have been the same for the Biafrans if the reverse was the case. If Biafra is not an official country, who then should be the recipient of this apology? Or do you just want a statement on television, a press conference perhaps?

That's an interesting question- your second one, that is- all of those, and their descendants, who suffered at the hands of the Nigerian side would be the recipients, of course. Even though B.iafra is not an official country, it's people still exist so they would be able to appreciate the gesture of goodwill. If the reverse was the case then I'd expect the B.iafran side to offer an official apology to the Nigerians. That's like saying if the Germans were to be the ones persecuted by the Jews, they wouldn't be expected to demand an apology- a wrong is a wrong, no matter who commits it.

As for your first question, Nigeria is going to split whether you or I like it or not; I just want my people, the Igbos, to be prepared for when that eventually happens.
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by TomHagen: 11:15pm On Aug 01, 2016
Ngozi123:

That's an interesting question- your second one, that is- all of those, and their descendants, who suffered at the hands of the Nigerian side would be the recipients, of course. Even though B.iafra is not an official country, it's people still exist so they would be able to appreciate the gesture of goodwill. If the reverse was the case then I'd expect the B.iafran side to offer an official apology to the Nigerians. That's like saying if the Germans were to be the ones persecuted by the Jews, they wouldn't be expected to demand an apology- a wrong is a wrong, no matter who commits it.

As for your first question, Nigeria is going to split whether you or I like it or not; I just want my people, the Igbos, to be prepared for when that eventually happens.
Fair enough. I am actually indifferent on whether the country should be divided or not, though I do not see it happening in the near future(at least not without bloodshed reminiscent of the civil war days). Is this an acceptable sacrifice to you?
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by Ngozi123(f): 11:28pm On Aug 01, 2016
TomHagen:
Fair enough. I am actually indifferent on whether the country should be divided or not, though I do not see it happening in the near future(at least not without bloodshed reminiscent of the civil war days). Is this an acceptable sacrifice to you?

Human life is precious so no, that wouldn't be an acceptable sacrifice for me. A war will benefit no one.
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by Abeos(m): 1:51am On Aug 02, 2016
If she didn't even know it before, she should have learnt before going there instead disgracing her self there. It's akin an applicant going for an interview, he/she would definitely study likely questions
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by bittertruthz: 11:34am On Aug 02, 2016
KINGSZY:
your brain cells are dead,must your ethnic bigotry be displayed in every post you see on nairaland? Go and get a life.

Im trying to open your eyes. Instead of thanking me, you are here playing ethnic card.
I repeat.............................

1. NO AFRICA COUNTRY CAN EXPORT VEGETABLE OR FOOD TO AMERICA, ASIA, EUROPE , MIDDLE EAST because THESE PEOPLE HAVE IT IN ABUNDANCE.

2. THOSE FEW CARTONS OF EGUSI, OKAZI, DRIED BITTER LEAVE ETC. THAT YOU SEE AS EXPORT IS DEMANDED BY NIGERIAN RESTAURANT AND NIGERIANS THERE.
America or Europe custom duty does not see it as export/import. They see it as personal effect, meaning it was brought into the country for personal consumption not for sale.
Re: Robert Perry Endorses Vivian Okeke by countryman13: 3:23pm On Aug 02, 2016
Is singing d national anthem part of the key functions of an ambassador? NO!
hw many of d senators can sing it also? can d like of Dino,Saraki,David Mark etc, sing it?
d absolute truth is dt d woman is more inteligent than any of d 109 so called senators

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mass Defections To APC Hits Sokoto As Pictures Of Tambuwal Are Being Torn Down / Rumor: Enugu State Governor (Chima) Impregnates Sister-In-Law (Ebere Igwe) / Doctors, Nurses Will Be Our Agents At Polling Units – Labour Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.