Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,427 members, 7,830,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

*MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc - Business (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc (91629 Views)

Marketing Your Kindle / Createspace Ebook Effectively 2018 / How To Sell T-shirts On Amazon And Make $400/day Without Investing A Dime!! / Lady Ordered For A Transparent Chair On Amazon And Got This (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Uvo11: 10:37pm On Jan 03, 2017
@Bro1234, thank you very much for this thread. I have learned a lot from you and other contributors and, by His grace, I'll soon join you all in the published author clique.

Keep up the good work. May God bless you (and the other key contributors) for the altruism that you have shown here. Shalom!!
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 8:08am On Jan 04, 2017
Uvo11:
@Bro1234, thank you very much for this thread. I have learned a lot from you and other contributors and, by His grace, I'll soon join you all in the published author clique.

Keep up the good work. May God bless you (and the other key contributors) for the altruism that you have shown here. Shalom!!

You're welcome bro. This thread was for us all to learn while doing. It's been 5 months and guess what, we've learned a lot.

Pls join us and share your own lessons.

Happy New Year
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 04, 2017
It just occurred to me to ask (surprised I never asked).
Bros1234 What font type, size and line spacing do you use? I use Time New Romans size 12, 1.5 line spacing. Just curious about a possible need for change.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 6:17pm On Jan 04, 2017
Joseid:
Bros1234 What font type, size and line spacing do you use? I use Time New Romans size 12, 1.5 line spacing. Just curious about a possible need for change.

Though I am not bros 12345, however, for me, I use 12 point as font size and I also use, I use single line spacing. The reason for this is that, if you use 1.5, kindle will add there own spacing and it will make it look too much. I once read a review where a customer was complaining about too space.

1 Like

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 7:50am On Jan 05, 2017
Joseid:

I use

Font Type= Georgia

Font Size = 14 ( If the number of words is less than 15,000 and 13 if it is over)

Font Space = 2 Line Space

2 Likes

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 10:35pm On Jan 05, 2017
Rejoinder, My createspace experience.

I had posted something like this before on this thread. Even as at that time, I still had so much to learn and even today, I am still learning much about this business. However, after playing with different pdf softwares, I have come to realize that Do 8 PDF printer from this links http://www.dopdf.com/download.php is the best for creastpace. Its prints in high guality with good embeding abilities. When I was printing pdf with Foxit pdf Reader, it was giving me some issues, with most of my pictures disappearing when my digital proof copy was ready for me to read though. This troubled me a little. I contacted creastpace and they told me that the problem was with the software that I am using to create my pdf. So I tried and downloaded others and after trials, Do pdf 8, was the best. When I published books with pictures, all I hear now is, "OUR AUTOMATED CHECKER DIDN'T FIND ANY ISSUES WITH YOUR DOCUMENT."

Just felt like sharing, it could help someone tomorrow.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 10:37pm On Jan 05, 2017
bros1234:

I use

Font Type= Georgia

Font Size = 14 ( If the number of words is less than 15,000 and 13 if it is over)

Font Space = 2 Line Space

Okay sir, wouldn't the lines spacing be too much of you made it two since kdp adds their line spacing too.

Please sir, do you also use the same font size for creastpace book? I want to know and thank you so much for your anticipated answer..
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 10:40pm On Jan 06, 2017
AncientTimes:
Rejoinder, My createspace experience.

I had posted something like this before on this thread. Even as at that time, I still had so much to learn and even today, I am still learning much about this business. However, after playing with different pdf softwares, I have come to realize that Do 8 PDF printer from this links http://www.dopdf.com/download.php is the best for creastpace. Its prints in high guality with good embeding abilities. When I was printing pdf with Foxit pdf Reader, it was giving me some issues, with most of my pictures disappearing when my digital proof copy was ready for me to read though. This troubled me a little. I contacted creastpace and they told me that the problem was with the software that I am using to create my pdf. So I tried and downloaded others and after trials, Do pdf 8, was the best. When I published books with pictures, all I hear now is, "OUR AUTOMATED CHECKER DIDN'T FIND ANY ISSUES WITH YOUR DOCUMENT."

Just felt like sharing, it could help someone tomorrow.

This is a great contribution. Thanks so much. I was using smallpdf.com before now Will check them out
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 10:41pm On Jan 06, 2017
AncientTimes:

Okay sir, wouldn't the lines spacing be too much of you made it two since kdp adds their line spacing too.

Please sir, do you also use the same font size for creastpace book? I want to know and thank you so much for your anticipated answer..

Thats what I use for Createspace too
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 11:37pm On Jan 06, 2017
bros1234:

This is a great contribution. Thanks so much. I was using smallpdf.com before now Will check them out

Please do, this software though free, gives a good results for pdf printing.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 11:41pm On Jan 06, 2017
bros1234:

Thats what I use for Createspace too

I have a book on Kindle with 49 pages. I used, single spacing. And font size 12. Now I will go and increase the font size to 14 and for spacing to be 1.5. That will increase page number by almost double. That will make the book about 70-80 pages. Then I change the price to 2.99. I set it as 0.99 because of the page number and some experiment that I am doing. So I will have to change the book price if the page numbers increase.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jan 06, 2017
AncientTimes:

Please do, this software though free, gives a good results for pdf printing.
Hello, how was your day?
Do you mean after the design, you will then print in pdf using this software before submitting to create space?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 06, 2017
AncientTimes:

I have a book on Kindle with 49 pages. I used, single spacing. And font size 12. Now I will go and increase the font size to 14 and for spacing to be 1.5. That will increase page number by almost double. That will make the book about 70-80 pages. Then I change the price to 2.99. I set it as 0.99 because of the page number and some experiment that I am doing. So I will have to change the book price if the page numbers increase.
$2.99 for an eighty paged book? Is that not too high?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 8:01am On Jan 07, 2017
Joseid:
Hello, how was your day?
Do you mean after the design, you will then print in pdf using this software before submitting to create space?

Yes. To print and get your pdf, it is like creating your pdf document. Just like your print in normal documents in Microsoft words.

After getting that done with your document, Go to file, then click on print. In the print option, where you will see your printer as default, click on the small arrow to give you more printer option. Once you do that, it will show you all the printers you have. Now, choose your pdf software as your printer. Then after doing that, click on print. Once you click on print, it will take you to a pop up Widow to create a pdf. You will choose the quality that you want to print. Select high quality print and then, click on embed fonts and click on Okay. It will create a pdf document for you. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 8:13am On Jan 07, 2017
Joseid:

Yes it sounds so. But I have seen books like that for 2.99. I have seen 21 pages book for 2.99.

Good. Once my book is 60 pages, I will not price it below 2.99. Beside, don't forget that the price is determined by other books in the same nich
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 8:16am On Jan 07, 2017
[color=#770077][/color]
Please any ideas about audio books. How does one go about them. Because I heard that once you make them, you are able to increase your income.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by einsteine(m): 9:01am On Jan 07, 2017
AncientTimes:
[color=#770077][/color]
Please any ideas about audio books. How does one go about them. Because I heard that once you make them, you are able to increase your income.

Nigerians can't publish on Audible. However, if you have the money to pay for a narrator and producer for the audio book, you can use aggregators like bookbaby. There is no direct, low cost way for Nigerians to publish audiobooks
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 07, 2017
AncientTimes:

Yes it sounds so. But I have seen books like that for 2.99. I have seen 21 pages book for 2.99.

Good. Once my book is 60 pages, I will not price it below 2.99. Beside, don't forget that the price is determined by other books in the same nich
Should one really take the price suggestions that Amazon gives seriously? When I published my first book, Amazon advised 2.99 but afraid catch me. cheesy
I would love more illumination from you or anyone. Cos, this oyinbo people can be funny at times. In Nigeria, things with low price tags may sell fast. In the white's man land, seems they value a thing based on its price.
That book of mine is currently over 80 pages.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 11:56am On Jan 07, 2017
Hello, House please can you people help me to review this book. I need more review as my promo ends today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2ZI3DO

1 Like

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 12:00pm On Jan 07, 2017
einsteine:

Nigerians can't publish on Audible. However, if you have the money to pay for a narrator and producer for the audio book, you can use aggregators like bookbaby. There is no direct, low cost way for Nigerians to publish audiobooks

I thought as much, with my Nigerian accent, Oyinbo people go shout. Can't we use a text to speech software that will read the document into an audio form for people to read?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2017
Joseid:
Should one really take the price suggestions that Amazon gives seriously? When I published my first book, Amazon advised 2.99 but afraid catch me. cheesy
I would love more illumination from you or anyone. Cos, this oyinbo people can be funny at times. In Nigeria, things with low price tags may sell fast. In the white's man land, seems they value a thing based on its price.
That book of mine is currently over 80 pages.

I believe quality is the greatest thing. If you book has so much quality and it is 50 pages, you can be sure that people will buy it and not complain. The problem comes when people have purchase a small book for 2.99 and it does not give them what they are looking for. They will destroy your book with negative review.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 4:52pm On Jan 07, 2017
AncientTimes:
Hello, House please can you people help me to review this book. I need more review as my promo ends today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2ZI3DO

I like the packaging of your book. Downloaded it and took a peek in Kindle Cloud Reader. I think the font is big and the text not justified.

Also, don't too much dwell on the success of one or two books. You need to write more and more books.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 7:15pm On Jan 07, 2017
bros1234:

I like the packaging of your book. Downloaded it and took a peek in Kindle Cloud Reader. I think the font is big and the text not justified.

Also, don't too much dwell on the success of one or two books. You need to write more and more books.

Thank you so much sir. Please let me learn. Someone said you don't justify your fonts in Kindle Ebooks because they said that the reader is in charge of the fonts. Secondly, please tell me how we've you able to download Kindle ebooks. How can I download books from Kindle and what do I need to do? With the font size, you said you use font size 14 for books that are less than 15,000 words and for books more than 15,000 words, you aid you use fonts size of 13. So I too the clue from you. Please respond sir.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 3:26am On Jan 10, 2017
AncientTimes:

Thank you so much sir. Please let me learn. Someone said you don't justify your fonts in Kindle Ebooks because they said that the reader is in charge of the fonts. Secondly, please tell me how we've you able to download Kindle ebooks. How can I download books from Kindle and what do I need to do? With the font size, you said you use font size 14 for books that are less than 15,000 words and for books more than 15,000 words, you aid you use fonts size of 13. So I too the clue from you. Please respond sir.

On my system it was easy for me. You'll see the option. Your books are stored at read.amazon.com for those who dont have kindle
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 3:29am On Jan 10, 2017
Joseid:

$2.99 for an 80-page book is not too high. If the content provides solution, people will buy it. I have a friend that some of his books are less than 30 pages (less than 4,000 words) and he is selling them at 2.99$. He is into the animal husbandry niche.

2 Likes

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 3:53am On Jan 10, 2017
Once again, gentle men and ladies, do whatever it takes to build this business. You earn even when you are not working. This to me is the best definition of passive income. In Nov and December 2016, I did not write any book, but I earned about $1,000 plus in November and over $1,400 in Dec (all markets combined, including CreateSpace).

It's just 9 days gone in January 2017 and I have already crossed $600 in kindle and $150 in CreateSpace (See screenshot below). Yet no book written this year yet. I now have over 150 subcribers from people who read my books in my new email list created to get emails of people who may be interested in my future books.

I will advise, if you have a passion for writing and creating content, then this is a business to start, learn, grow and persist. My goal this year is to create 50-80 new books. God help me. So while you are chasing other forms of making money, like MMM, UC, etc, work on this. If your books are not selling now, just continue to create quality content, continue to learn of your audience, give yourself 5 years in this business and you may earn quality income for life from them.

When I started in August last year (2016), I didn't know I would sell many books. My desire was to write the books and have them on Amazon. To be proud that my books are on Amazon. So initially, when they weren't selling, I just kept writing. Today, two of my books have been marked as bestsellers by amazon in their category. Many of my books are still struggling, but that's their business. I will create more, because God has called me to provide solution to people using my writing and information collation ability.

Once again, welcome to a Year we must flourish, no matter what our economy does.

4 Likes

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by jbhv: 9:26am On Jan 10, 2017
Base on experiences, what is the best format to publish on KDP? I guess the system was suggesting word over pdf but I prefer the later.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 10, 2017
bros1234:
Once again, gentle men and ladies, do whatever it takes to build this business. You earn even when you are not working. This to me is the best definition of passive income. In Nov and December 2016, I did not write any book, but I earned about $1,000 plus in November and over $1,400 in Dec (all markets combined, including CreateSpace).

It's just 9 days gone in January 2017 and I have already crossed $600 in kindle and $150 in CreateSpace (See screenshot below). Yet no book written this year yet. I now have over 150 subcribers from people who read my books in my new email list created to get emails of people who may be interested in my future books.

I will advise, if you have a passion for writing and creating content, then this is a business to start, learn, grow and persist. My goal this year is to create 50-80 new books. God help me. So while you are chasing other forms of making money, like MMM, UC, etc, work on this. If your books are not selling now, just continue to create quality content, continue to learn of your audience, give yourself 5 years in this business and you may earn quality income for life from them.

When I started in August last year (2016), I didn't know I would sell many books. My desire was to write the books and have them on Amazon. To be proud that my books are on Amazon. So initially, when they weren't selling, I just kept writing. Today, two of my books have been marked as bestsellers by amazon in their category. Many of my books are still struggling, but that's their business. I will create more, because God has called me to provide solution to people using my writing and information collation ability.

Once again, welcome to a Year we must flourish, no matter what our economy does.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 1:19pm On Jan 10, 2017
bros1234:

On my system it was easy for me. You'll see the option. Your books are stored at read.amazon.com for those who dont have kindle
But I have kindle for my PC. I don't still know how to download the books. Besides, if I go to read. Amazon. Com, I can download books and read them?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 1:20pm On Jan 10, 2017
bros1234:

$2.99 for an 80-page book is not too high. If the content provides solution, people will buy it. I have a friend that some of his books are less than 30 pages (less than 4,000 words) and he is selling them at 2.99$. He is into the animal husbandry niche.

Yes, I agree. Content is better than price. If the content is high, then people will buy the book, no matter what.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 1:25pm On Jan 10, 2017
bros1234:

Amen to your last sentence.

This guy is such an inspiration to many of us who are still learning about this business. Before I say, anything, I want to thank you for deciding to show us your account to encourage us. God bless you sir. We are still leaning. I hope to also display my account sometimes this month to encourage some other persons. My goal this month is to make $500 this month in sales. That is my goal. Then February, $1500
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 1:27pm On Jan 10, 2017
jbhv:
Base on experiences, what is the best format to publish on KDP? I guess the system was suggesting word over pdf but I prefer the later.

Amen to your last sentence.

This guy is such an inspiration to many of us who are still learning about this business. Before I say, anything, I want to thank you for deciding to show us your account to encourage us. God bless you sir. We are still leaning. I hope to also display my account sometimes this month to encourage some other persons. My goal this month is to make $500 this month in sales. That is my goal. Then February, $1500

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (42) (Reply)

What Is A Domiciliary Account? / Folorunsho Alakija And Her Husband, Modupe Separate After 30 Years Of Marriage / Shipping From China To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.