Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,526 members, 7,837,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees (28899 Views)

430 Prisoners Pursuing University Degrees In National Open University Of Nigeria / 50 Most Employable University Degrees According To American Website. / Top 10 Most Useless University Degrees 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by jerryfisher(m): 7:40am On Aug 06, 2016
jlinkd78:
It is difficult to know what to believe these days especially in this Education Ministry. As at now nobody can conclusively say with conviction d exact admission guideline into univ and next this dichotomy gist. Policy somersault, inconclusive policy statements and promise denials are fast becoming d hallmark of this administration.
what do you expect from this ancient govt!!old people's party......all buhari ministers are the same..
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by emartu(m): 7:43am On Aug 06, 2016
Duru009:
Thy will never equate Bsc n HND...
How many professors are in polytechnic....

with all the professors in universites bsc graduates are still nt PRATICALLY INCLINED as the hnd graduates all they do is cram and pour while poly gives you nothing less than a year and four months to gain practical knowledge in both siwes (4 mnts) and IT (at least a year)
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 06, 2016
emtol:
I wonder oo. I checked a Polytechnic and there was no Prof, even d Rector is a PhD holder. And we 20 Profs in my FACULTY not to talk of the whole School. HND<BSc, and BTech na Oga
which kain school be that. i had 15 prof in my dept when i graduated from oau. 1 of them was an ex-VC and 3 were current directors of federal government agencies, yet they still come in to give lectures.

The professors and senior lecturers all over Nigeria would never allow hnd to equal bsc as that would be a slap on their face.lol.

3 Likes

Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 06, 2016
What HND graduates must do to be at par with Bachelor’s degree holders – Education Ministry

The Ministry of Education has denied harmonizing the degrees and higher national diploma awarded by universities and polytechnics.
A spokesperson for the ministry denied recent reports that the dichotomy between Bachelors and HNDs had been abolished, saying HND holders must meet new requirements to attain the Bachelors level.
Speaking to PREMIUM TIMES on Friday, Benjamin Goong, said the ministry lacked the power to end the inequality.
He however said the government had taken steps to bridge the gap to ensure HND holders are treated fairly when seeking for jobs.
“Two weeks ago, the ministry sent a memo to the National Council of Establishments (NCE) to institute a bridging program for the HND holders and the proposal was approved.
“The bridging program is for HND holders who can either attend the National Teachers Institute (NTI) or any institution offering post-graduate diploma programs, before they can attain the level graduates can attain in the public sector.
“As per the approved memo, after the bridging program, HND holders will now be offered jobs from grade level 8 and finish at grade level 17 like graduates. Before now, HND holders were only allowed grade level 7 and finish at grade level 14.
“That is as far as it goes for now regarding the B.Sc and HND dichotomy. Both are still very different from each other,” he said.
An education analyst, Dorothy Oseni, said creation of jobs for both B.Sc and HND holders was the surest way of bridging the gap between both classes of educated people.
“When the government, industries and companies no longer discriminate against HND holders in the labour market, the dichotomy will die a natural death,” she said.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/208151-what-hnd-graduates-must-do-to-be-at-par-with-bachelors-degree-holders-education-ministry.html
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by eph12(m): 7:47am On Aug 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

Why HND holders can't hold same position as B.Sc holders
That's just bullshit. They don't because we won't allow not because they can't.
This is about individual graduate not the school. Your effort as an employee should speak for you and not some certificate. This is my stand.
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by sabyjunior(m): 7:47am On Aug 06, 2016
I don't want to be rude, but I must confess that this my beloveth country is now like "April fool".
Very confused set of leaders.
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by eph12(m): 7:50am On Aug 06, 2016
emartu:

with all the professors in universites bsc graduates are still nt PRATICALLY INCLINED as the hnd graduates all they do is cram and pour while poly gives you nothing less than a year and four months to gain practical knowledge in both siwes (4 mnts) and IT (at least a year)
Thanks for this. What most of us did in the university then was to cram and pour. Nothing more.
This nonsense about having 100 profs I wonder if that's a criteria for being employable.
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Tkayhandsome(m): 7:50am On Aug 06, 2016
Who is talking about HND Bsc? Where is the job?
If you attended a poly, go and do PGD then master. But I tell you, a poly graduate from UK is better than a university graduate from absu and some federal uni. Debate that
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by SaintSixtus: 7:50am On Aug 06, 2016
Its Nigeria and that's their way. Not amaze Its Nigeria and that's their way. Not amaze Its Nigeria and that's their way. Not amaze
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by chiefololade: 7:50am On Aug 06, 2016
eph12:

So what was in existence before is that even with pgd an hnd holder can't go beyon level 14?

Yes, and even the discrimination is up to masters level.
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by eph12(m): 7:55am On Aug 06, 2016
chiefololade:

Yes, and even the discrimination is up to masters level.
That's bleeped up cry
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by neolboy(m): 7:55am On Aug 06, 2016
decency123:
Eyah that's bad nah, let them mercy for hnd graduates now

Pls what type of Mercy, u talk as if they are communicable disease. Anyways the worst is to do PGD for 18months
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by sure4real: 7:58am On Aug 06, 2016
I work in One Oil and Gas Company, when I joined,I observed HND holder are 11 while Bsc are just 3.I asked the motive behinds such.the answer was"the company gives equal opportunity,after the rigorous test and interview, more HND holders emerged best.... Till now,the don't discriminate.you will prove your self and get employed.

Your HND or Bsc does not guarantee you employment. It is what you know and the applications.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by ayooladee(f): 8:05am On Aug 06, 2016
grin
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by goldtube(m): 8:06am On Aug 06, 2016
so now is 180 still the general cutoff mark for both uni and poly
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by lebrotin: 8:15am On Aug 06, 2016
mrvitalis:

Bro there are training and position a HND holder can't hold unless he has worked for years or did Pgd and masters

That's not true...there's no position a Degree holder will fit into that a HND holder will not fit into...everyone comes out from the higher institutions raw and gets defined by what they do or what an employer wants to make of them. There is no synergy between what we learnt in school and what we do at workplaces...Our absurd and corrupt system has brainwashed us. A diploma holder practices Human Resources in Canada and sometimes can earn more that a Degree holder depending on the company even with the same years of experience and no form of glass ceiling...Na we for naija dey bad belle awasef
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Shaev7(m): 8:23am On Aug 06, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Hahahahahaha..I just dey laugh all this poly students wey dey happy...una better go buy DE form!!!....that said,certificates are just pieces of paper,what will make you succeed is inside you.

Your last statement is good but your first statement spoilt it all because it depicts an image of you not being a true graduate. Who are you to pity for HND holders? Do you both have same level of assimiliation? So be it B.sc or HND just pray for grace and develop your mind! How many of us B.sc have a job ?
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by dpenzy: 8:35am On Aug 06, 2016
Wen will all dis conflicting lies end?
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by don4real18(m): 8:41am On Aug 06, 2016
Duru009:
How many professors in Nigeria an stand their ground.... Ordinary research, na so so copy dem dey do
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by amtaken(f): 8:54am On Aug 06, 2016
Buhari and his APC are never ever consistent. Haba!
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Nobody: 8:54am On Aug 06, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
Who is talking about HND Bsc? Where is the job?
If you attended a poly, go and do PGD then master. But I tell you, a poly graduate from UK is better than a university graduate from absu and some federal uni. Debate that
but a absu graduate can be offered straight msc in the UK and offered bsc/Msc graduate level employment. can same be said of a uk poly graduate?

2 Likes

Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 06, 2016
lebrotin:

That's not true...there's no position a Degree holder will fit into that a HND holder will not fit into...everyone comes out from the higher institutions raw and gets defined by what they do or what an employer wants to make of them. There is no synergy between what we learnt in school and what we do at workplaces...Our absurd and corrupt system has brainwashed us. A diploma holder practices Human Resources in Canada and sometimes can earn more that a Degree holder depending on the company even with the same years of experience and no form of glass ceiling...Na we for naija dey bad belle awasef
Developed countries have funny ways of doing things. A plumber can easily make more money than a mechanical technologist with diploma or an engineer with bsc. Even though the engineer would still be management level in the same company, so that is not a good method of comparison.

Oh yes... there is synergy between what you learnt in school and the workplace. Using your same canada as an example. Accounting technician (diploma) and Accountant (bsc) have clearly defined roles like wise in the engineering profession. Only a bsc holders(PEngs) in developed countries can approve engineering designs and project.

To get most admin jobs in developed countries, all you need is your high school certificate. I guess HR is an admin course. But what would get you to become the head of hr or director would be your degree except na one man business.
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Myself2(m): 8:59am On Aug 06, 2016
Duru009:

I wonder why poly graduates whine forever about inequality with university graduates .They all know that most people that ended up in the poly only did so HAVING FAILED TO MEET THE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS INTO UNIVERSITIES.So why would they now want to be equals with people they could not measure up to while seeking admission.
Other reasons abound to prove that polytechnics are junior or inferior to universities,but time will fail me to elaborate on them here.
So my advice to HND holders is upgrade to Msc via Pgd or live with the damn discrimination ; clear choice

CAVEAT: Please quote me with care cos the backlash of a contrariwise quote will be U G L Y

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by onyeawka80(m): 9:04am On Aug 06, 2016
I thank God have crossed d bridge no HND PGD MSC (BSc in view) no ordinary bsc holder can talk to me any how
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 06, 2016
Myself2:

I wonder why poly graduates whine forever about inequality with university graduates .They all know that most people that ended up in the poly only did so HAVING FAILED TO MEET THE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS INTO UNIVERSITIES.So why would they now want to be equals with people they could not measure up to while seeking admission.
Other reasons abound to prove that polytechnics are junior or inferior to universities,but time will fail me to elaborate on them here.
So my advice to HND holders is upgrade to Msc via Pgd or live with the damn discrimination ; clear choice

CAVEAT: Please quote me with care cos the backlash of a contrariwise quote will be U G L Y
exactly, you can't eat your cake and have it too. People that choose the easy way out should stick with the consequences.
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by misspicy(f): 9:13am On Aug 06, 2016
ademiD:
fg is just confused
Very confused
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by misspicy(f): 9:13am On Aug 06, 2016
ademiD:
fg is just confused
Very confused
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by misspicy(f): 9:14am On Aug 06, 2016
ademiD:
fg is just confused
Very confused
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by misspicy(f): 9:14am On Aug 06, 2016
ademiD:
fg is just confused
Very confused
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by Vick4rill(m): 9:28am On Aug 06, 2016
eph12:

Thanks for this. What most of us did in the university then was to cram and pour. Nothing more.
This nonsense about having 100 profs I wonder if that's a criteria for being employable.
lol.. oga stop dey lie...u no go any university

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by ukohedda(m): 9:30am On Aug 06, 2016
with the level of making policy and denying later, how do I know that PMB is the President
Re: Ministry Of Education Denied Harmonising HND And university Degrees by eph12(m): 9:38am On Aug 06, 2016
Vick4rill:
lol.. oga stop dey lie...u no go any university
Hahahaha grin grin grin
Have you finally found a job?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Study Political Science Without Literature In English / Snepco 2016 candidates. Discussion room / Oou Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.