Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price (8002 Views)

Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 8:00pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
Quite frankly it has it's benefits and rewards.

But nothing replaces African traditional marriage. No matter how pared down or flamboyant.

We are a communal lot and our marriage system is part of our ingrained beingness.

Obviously an offending baggage one will have to carry around in order not to bruise tender hearts angry.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 9:45pm On Aug 09, 2016
DemiGoddess:

Can't believe I'm here after nearly 4 months. shocked
It feels like I'm new, strange monikers and all... undecided
Strange monikers? angry Old folks in new drapery, I tell you.

But you'll get used to them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Adaeze003(f): 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2016
The ancestors be so nakedly wise they sold their relatives for dry gin...

The ancestors be so nakedly wise they killed twins.

The ancestors be so nakedly wise they got cheated with their own scales.

The ancestors be so nakedly wise they killed people to bury one person.

Everything they did was and is perfect... they after all walked beside their wooden gods... the only set of wise people to grace the earth... who are we in the face of dead men??

3 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by DemiGoddess(f): 11:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
Strange monikers? angry Old folks in new drapery, I tell you.

But you'll get used to them.

Hope so...

It's another Madrid win, new silverware.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by cococandy(f): 12:26am On Aug 10, 2016
They pick and choose when to be 'custodians of tradition'

Funny
darkenedrebel:

Am I the only one seeing the double standard here? It is a huge sacrilege for a thing as insignificant and as minor as ''bride price' to be screened out, but it's laudable to renounce the gods of your ancestors for the religion of a foreigner(Christianity).

Any one that tells me he/she is a custodian of African culture and thinks bride price is not a nuisance must either be worshipping Sango or Amadiora before I can take him/her serious.

Such hypocrisy!

God knows I would not make it mandatory for my son-in-law(s) to pay bride price, that's if I have daughters anyway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 8:04am On Aug 10, 2016
DemiGoddess:

Hope so...

Yes it is.....I'll whisper their suspended sobriquet to you in the evening. wink
DemiGoddess:

It's another Madrid win, new silverware.
You're a Madridista? I am a Barcelonian cool

I shill show you the beauty of style and finesse not just in football but in penning.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by DemiGoddess(f): 8:32am On Aug 10, 2016
lezz:

Yes it is.....I'll whisper their suspended sobriquet to you in the evening. wink
You're a Madridista? I am a Barcelonian cool

I shill show you the beauty of style and finesse not just in football but in penning.
Ah! looking forward to the evening.

Good morning!
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by bukatyne(f): 9:07am On Aug 10, 2016
byvan03:

Thank you!

kiss

Isn't it strange guys think they know what is best for ladies?...

Yeye spambot banned me jor...

Was trying to post an article on that my thread.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 9:51am On Aug 10, 2016
The truth is the first victim of war! Do not give in to European journals of Africa's state of affairs during colonialism and slavery; Do not be a willing post-colonial slave of Western propaganda.
Adaeze003:

Africans sold mainly slaves to Europeans as slaves. Slaves of rival communities and tribes from the spoils of war.

Besides, Africans enslaved up to 1.5 million white Europeans in the 14th-16th century in the Barbary slave trade

Adaeze003:

Only a smattering amount of our ancestors in Calabar did that! Our ancestors in Western Nigeria and beyond worshipped them! Besides did not majority of Europeans burn scientist and opinionated people alive at an institutional level? See ya life?
Adaeze003:

And the West are so damn ingenious they invented the internet and social media and Yahoo boys are reaping them out in millions of Euros for decades now? Use your head.

Adaeze003:

You mean like the Pharos? Did not European kings do worse? Were not European kings who ordered and sanctioned the genocide of peoples in Native America, New Zealand, the aborigines of Australia, Congo, Ethiopia? Or the premeditated starvation to death of their own people in Ireland?
Adaeze003:

Everything they did was and is perfect... they after all walked beside their wooden gods... the only set of wise people to grace the earth... who are we in the face of dead men??

Your preconceived submissions are a sharp pointer to one who's a willing victim of mental and psychological defeatism.

Africans are a communal lot who never abandoned thier old parents or relations. Unlike the West where the government are forced to set up old people's home to look after aged folks whose sons and daughters are in the cities enjoying the Kaleidoscope of city vanity.

Folks die and are buried with strangers at funeral rites....damn!

Why don't you paint yourself with native chalk to be white....It's cheaper than the path you tread.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 10, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Am I the only one seeing the double standard here? It is a huge sacrilege for a thing as insignificant and as minor as ''bride price' to be screened out, but it's laudable to renounce the gods of your ancestors for the religion of a foreigner(Christianity).

Any one that tells me he/she is a custodian of African culture and thinks bride price is not a nuisance must either be worshipping Sango or Amadiora before I can take him/her serious.

Such hypocrisy!

God knows I would not make it mandatory for my son-in-law(s) to pay bride price, that's if I have daughters anyway.

Double standards and the inability to reason logically. wink

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 10, 2016
Adaeze003:

It was pure wisdom. gringrin

2 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 10, 2016
SalomonKane:
Yes I know this, and it's because the West comprise of many diverse cultures.

Nice to meet you Foxy Cleopatra. I'm sure you know Austin Powers is near by dealing with Fat Bastard. grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Adaeze003(f): 12:22pm On Aug 10, 2016
lezz:
The truth is the first victim of war! Do not give in to European journals of Africa's state of affairs during colonialism and slavery; Do not be a willing post-colonial slave of Western propaganda. Africans sold mainly slaves to Europeans as slaves. Slaves of rival communities and tribes from the spoils of war.

Besides, Africans enslaved up to 1.5 million white Europeans in the 14th-16th century in the Barbary slave trade

Only a smattering amount of our ancestors in Calabar did that! Our ancestors in Western Nigeria and beyond worshipped them! Besides did not majority of Europeans burn scientist and opinionated people alive at an institutional level? See ya life?
And the West are so damn ingenious they invented the internet and social media and Yahoo boys are reaping them out in millions of Euros for decades now? Use your head.

You mean like the Pharos? Did not European kings do worse? Were not European kings who ordered and sanctioned the genocide of peoples in Native America, New Zealand, the aborigines of Australia, Congo, Ethiopia? Or the premeditated starvation to death of their own people in Ireland?

Your preconceived submissions are a sharp pointer to one who's a willing victim of mental and psychological defeatism.

Africans are a communal lot who never abandoned thier old parents or relations. Unlike the West where the government are forced to set up old people's home to look after aged folks whose sons and daughters are in the cities enjoying the Kaleidoscope of city vanity.

Why don't you paint yourself with native chalk to be white....It's cheaper than the path you tread.

Truth be told, I didn't come here to argue... In some ways all I'm saying is, some human coming to this earth before me don't make him wiser than myself.

I am wise enough to question traditions I don't care about that affect me directly, I am wise enough to pave way for new trends, to be a leader, wise enough to advocate for new rules in my time and so on. It's only a shame if you feel like you aren't. wink

The ancestors have lived and long died. It ain't their world no more.

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 12:44pm On Aug 10, 2016
bukatyne:

kiss

Isn't it strange guys think they know what is best for ladies?...

Yeye spambot banned me jor...

Was trying to post an article on that my thread.

Sorry dear, they always believe they know everything . They have no idea but they think they do.

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by joseph1832(m): 12:56pm On Aug 10, 2016
cococandy:
They pick and choose when to be 'custodians of tradition'

Funny
Just like you pick and choose who to reply and who not to reply, right? So what makes you any different from them?

2 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by joseph1832(m): 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
byvan03:

Sorry dear, they always believe they know everything. They have no idea but they think they do.
And I suppose you're the Architect of Knowledge?
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by postmann: 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
lezz:
The truth is the first victim of war! Do not give in to European journals of Africa's state of affairs during colonialism and slavery; Do not be a willing post-colonial slave of Western propaganda. Africans sold mainly slaves to Europeans as slaves. Slaves of rival communities and tribes from the spoils of war.

Your name is murder

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by postmann: 12:59pm On Aug 10, 2016
joseph1832:
And I suppose you're the Architect of Knowledge?

I must say a resounding welcome to joseph1832 cheesy
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by joseph1832(m): 1:04pm On Aug 10, 2016
Adaeze003:

I hope you know the West once walked the path our ancestors? The West too partook in human sacrifice to appease their stone gods? I hope you know this?
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by joseph1832(m): 1:09pm On Aug 10, 2016
postmann:

I must say a resounding welcome to joseph1 832 cheesy
Thank you mailman. Lol. Hope you can post a dame now? grin
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 1:18pm On Aug 10, 2016
Mindfulness:

It was pure wisdom. gringrin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by bukatyne(f): 1:52pm On Aug 10, 2016
byvan03:

Sorry dear, they always believe they know everything . They have no idea but they think they do.

Thanks

Well, let them wallow in their ignorance... grin

2 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by bukatyne(f): 2:12pm On Aug 10, 2016
postmann:

Here you are at last!!! cheesy

Your savoury altruism in the last miss NL contest lingers. (I can't believe I just sounded like lezz!)

I'm still humbled and grateful.

Back to topic;

The scriptural citation above shouldn't be taken out of contest. It was given in the understanding that a woman leaves her father and mother by the act of marriage and goes into a new family unlike a man. So GOD was emphasising on the man detaching from his mother and father so he can become one with his wife.

It's like the scripture that said, man love your wife and woman respect your husband. Taken out of context, many interpret it to mean it's not obligatory for women to love their husbands and not also obligatory for men to respect their wives. When in essence, scripture was putting more emphasis on whom who is more prone to default.

Does a man cleave to his wife in her father's house? Or are his children given by her traced through his wife's descent? Of course not! So, there are no basis for a woman paying the bride price.

Yes, the bride's family play Its role in the ceremony too. That's not strange.

We understand the word "price" chiefly from a monetary point because, well, English is an adopted language to us. But like I told byvan03, in the bribe price context, see it (price) as a requirement.

A good example was King Saul requiring a 100 foreskin of the Philistians from David as the bride price requirement for his daughter, Michal.

You are welcome and gratitude is a nice attribute smiley

I still believe 'payment' whatsoever especially monetary should be scrapped.

It has lost its relevance.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Adaeze003(f): 5:55pm On Aug 10, 2016
joseph1832:
I hope you know the West once walked the path our ancestors? The West too partook in human sacrifice to appease their stone gods? I hope you know this?

Did you see me make comparisons to the westerners? Did I say they were/are better?
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by joseph1832(m): 6:08pm On Aug 10, 2016
Adaeze003:

Did you see me make comparisons to the westerners? Did I say they were/are better?
Not really. Though you kind of made emphasis on ridiculing our heritage.

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by postmann: 7:47pm On Aug 10, 2016
bukatyne:

You are welcome and gratitude is a nice attribute smiley

I still believe 'payment' whatsoever especially monetary should be scrapped.

It has lost its relevance.

C'on Bukky, not you too. You're a Christian. cheesy

How does it sound if someone said that children obeying and respecting their parents is no longer relevant?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pastor Chris' Daughter Rejects Him, Supports Mums On Divorce / Should I Tell My Wife? / What Would U Do If Ur Brother-inlaw Slapped U

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.