Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs (3558 Views)

What Were Those Superstitious Things You Believed In When You Were Younger / Hilarious!!!nigerian Wedding Invitation Cards / These 11 Photos Tell A Hilarious Nigerian Valentine Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:24am On Aug 08, 2016
Superstition is the belief in supernatural causality that one
event causes another without any natural process linking the
two events.

Superstitious beliefs are always part of the culture of every
society. Some superstitious beliefs were actually used to instigate morals and etiquettes in children. Nevertheless, superstitions help to
preserve the cultures of a society from one generation to
another.

These list highlights some of the superstitious beliefs in
Nigeria:

1. If you put your eyelashes in your parents shoes, they will
forget the offence you committed.

2. Don’t drink coconut water, else you become a dullard.(I'm still somehow believing this)

3. Don’t whistle at night, you will be inviting snakes.(Nothing dey apun joor)

4. When the sun is shinning in the middle of a storm/rain, it
means a lion is giving birth.

5. Don’t let people jump over you, lest you become short.

6. Don’t eat food that has fallen on the floor, Satan has eaten it already.(lolz..Na. Today?)

7. If your tooth pulls out, throw it on a rooftop, a lizard will
take it and give you another one.(Tried it 1ce tho)

8. Kill and cut off a Lizard’s head and bury it; after three
days, dig it up you will see many coins (money). #kayefi

9. If you kill a duck and bury it, it will transform into a snake
in seven days.

10.If you wash a dog’s face and use the same water to wash
your face, you will see ghosts.

11. Don’t sweep your house at night, you will be sweeping
away all your riches.

12. Once your eyes starts to twitch, someone is talking about
you.

13. If someone bites you, rub chicken poop on the area, the
next day the person’s teeth will become rotten.

14. If your teacher annoys you, soak garri for 3 days. As the
garri swells, your teacher’s hand would swell.( U go juz use overfeeding kill urself)

15. In a football match, bury the egg of a lizard at your goal
post, your opponent will never score.

16. If your palms are itching you frequently, money is
coming your way soon.(I hear it works for some people)

17. A pregnant woman should not visit the zoo, else her
child would look like an animal.

18. Don’t eat a fowl anus, else you will start gossiping about.

19. Don’t stand in front of a mirror at night, else you will see
evil spirits (demons).(Curiosity had made me try dis 1ce, Guess wah? Nutin apund)

20. If you want to faint after your teacher flogs you, put
beans under your armpit and you will faint.

21. If you're obsessed with the head of a fish. You'll be a dull student.

22. Don't ever fetch water from the well at nite, ____________. (Mtcheew, I stil do am this week)

23.Don't ever beat a male child with a broom, it'll affect his potency as a man. (I used to bliv this)

24. Don't sleep with ur legs touching the wall, you must be in a meeting with witches. (Haha..prettythicksme over to u)

25. Don't sit on a pestle, you're risking ur mom's life.

26. Don't sleep in reverse positions/orientation with someone else on the bed/mat. (Smh).

If bird poop lands on ur head, money is coming ur way. (I swear! This apund to me once)

28. When u cut ur fingernails, make sure it's disposed thoroughly or ur destiny is at stake. (This one stil gets me somehow).

29. If someone crosses over ur leg(s) whilst pregnant, the unborn child will look like that person. (*yawns*)

30. Don't let anyone else step on ur saliva, you'll av throat problems.

31. Don't eat food in the pot, it'll rain heavily on ur wedding day. (I wonder who blivs this sef)

32. Don't eat food whilst in cooking mode, ur ass will really be dark-complexioned as u grow.

33. Eat beans regularly, you'll be as tall as you'd desired. (I totally blivd dis)

34. You must cover ur hair, as a lady, in the marketplace.(Ondo ppl I hail)

35. Do not sweep the top of the table with a broom else you
become hungry always/glutton.

36. Do not eat on the road else you wont get satisfied with
the food. (Lolz..What if i buy 5loaves of butterfield bread?)

37. The more you intently gaze at a cherry (agbalumo), The
sweeter it becomes! (Oya!..make yoruba babes deny this one): A song goes this way with it:
Agbalumo di omi sugar, omo oba lo fe mu!! Agbalumo dun dun!!
(Cherry, turn sweet as sugar, it's a prince/princess that wanna eat U!! Cherry turn sweet!)..haha..hilarious

----------------------------

Hmmn..SO WHICH ONES DID U FALL FOR??
and probably STILL FALLING FOR?

# NO LIES

2 Likes

Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 08, 2016
You've said everything and taken the fun out of the thread undecided
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 08, 2016
grin grin people dey lie sha. India 99-1 Nigeria
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:31am On Aug 08, 2016
skarlett:
You've said everything and taken the fun out of the thread undecided
That one no say mk u no tell us which one got u and stil gets u...
Oya confess!
Cc: Laveda, Mizzbouqui
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Laveda(f): 9:31am On Aug 08, 2016
You said all already angry
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Donovela(m): 9:32am On Aug 08, 2016
Nice one @op...but no 4 for my side is different..it goes with a song "rain dey fall sun dey shine elephant dey born pikin tortoise dey play panya"....Funny times
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Cadamlk: 9:33am On Aug 08, 2016
grin
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by mizzbouqui(f): 9:34am On Aug 08, 2016
cheesy cheesy You've said everything, wetin you wan make I add again now
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by firstking01(m): 9:36am On Aug 08, 2016
.....That when you mistakenly swallow udara seed, the thing will grow on your head....this one terrified and gave me sleepless nights:-…there was a day i swallowed udara seed, every second i must touch my head weather it has started growingcheesy, i did that for weeks tho.
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:39am On Aug 08, 2016
firstking01:
.....That when you mistakenly swallow udara seed, the thing will grow on your head....this one terrified and gave me sleepless nights:-…there was a day i swallowed udara seed, every second i must touch my head weather it has started growingcheesy, i did that for weeks tho.
Haha..lolz..
Biko..wats udara seed?
Dat. Seems an igbo term to me
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by ChappyChase: 9:40am On Aug 08, 2016
I still spit on my urine and I just don't know why!
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by buharisbae(f): 9:41am On Aug 08, 2016
That no5

"Dont let people jump/cross over u or else u will be short"

u dare not cross over me when I'm laying on the floor or else its war u must cross back grin grin

not to forget the broom part grin I can't belive I was that gullible

and the tooth part I always kept it somewhere in case I see lizard I'll throw it at it

This post got me OMG! thanks op childhood was not just fun but really funny grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:41am On Aug 08, 2016
yourboyWill:
I licked that lie like cowbell milk sha..
I don wise now tho

2 Likes

Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:

I licked that lie like cowbell milk sha..
I don wise now tho

grin grin
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:43am On Aug 08, 2016
ChappyChase:
I still spit on my urine and I just don't know why!
Spit on ur urine?
Kindly share the superstitious belief that revolves Around this.
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by firstking01(m): 9:45am On Aug 08, 2016
yourboyWill:
This one na trueundecided…the only goal was scored by samuel okwarajiundecided, it was a penalty, he delibrately lessened the rope on his boot...when he played the penalty the keeper mumu dived in the direction of the boot and the ball went the other direction into the back of the netcheesy...

This was why india was banned in int'l footballtongue

2 Likes

Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by mizzbouqui(f): 9:45am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:

That one no say mk u no tell us which one got u and stil gets u...
Oya confess!
Cc: Laveda, Mizzbouqui
I can relate with alllllll

Childhood was fun cheesy grin
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 08, 2016
firstking01:
This one na trueundecided…the only goal was scored by samuel okwarajiundecided, it was a penalty, he delibrately lessened the rope on his boot...when he played the penalty the keeper mumu dived in the direction of the boot and the ball went the other direction into the back of the netcheesy...

This was why india was banned in int'l footballtongue

http://www.voiceofnaija.com.ng/recall-the-nigeria-vs-india-match-that-they-beat-us-99-1-heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-story/

Knock yourself out
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by firstking01(m): 9:51am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:

Haha..lolz..
Biko..wats udara seed?
That small round thing that looks redish on the inside of it, it also has a seed inside that looks spherical...dunno the botanical name tho
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:51am On Aug 08, 2016
yourboyWill:

http://www.voiceofnaija.com.ng/recall-the-nigeria-vs-india-match-that-they-beat-us-99-1-heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-story/

Knock yourself out
Lolz..see Dis bros..na me u wan decieve?
I broke off that bondage tey tey mehn...I even wrote an article on it on facebook 3yrs back.
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:52am On Aug 08, 2016
firstking01:
That small round thing that looks redish on the inside of it, it also has a seed inside that looks spherical...dunno the botanical name tho
Ok..wah abt its household name..any clues?
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by ChappyChase: 9:52am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:

Spit on ur urine?
Kindly share the superstitious belief that revolves Around this.
Before I use to hear people say "it weakens witches who want to use my Urine for ritual" shocked
But now even when I piss for inside toilet I go still spit on top!
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:

Lolz..see Dis bros..na me u wan decieve?
I broke off that bondage tey tey mehn...I even wrote an article on it on facebook 3yrs back.

Lol the writeup in the link proves it was a lie
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:55am On Aug 08, 2016
ChappyChase:

Before I use to hear people say "it weakens witches who want to use my Urine for ritual" shocked
But now even when I piss for inside toilet I go still spit on top!
Buhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*staggers*
Somebori help! My stomach hurts!..lolz
So wah if u pee in a convenience whr lots of ppl are in, at The same time wit u? Like the ones in a shoppin mall or cinema
U stil spit on it in their presence?
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by 0ubenji(m): 9:57am On Aug 08, 2016
yourboyWill:

Lol the writeup in the link proves it was a lie
Yup..juz read it..lolz
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by firstking01(m): 9:57am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:

Haha..lolz..
Biko..wats udara seed?
That small round thing that looks redish on the inside of it, it also has a seed inside that looks spherical...dunno the botanical name tho..
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by firstking01(m): 10:01am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:
Ok..wah abt its household name..any clues?
Udara na
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by successnd(m): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2016
udara same thing as agbalumo . cherry...... born in lagos, brought up in lagos, high institution lagos . nysc Ogun state, ........ everthing one place. same goes to my Igbo brothers. everything from onitsha to rivers. no expodure
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 08, 2016
firstking01:
Udara na

Cherry

Yoruba people call it agbalumo
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by firstking01(m): 10:07am On Aug 08, 2016
yourboyWill:

Knock yourself out
I'm telling you what i witnessed live undecided…them don born you that time niundecided…and moreover, somebody can just wake up and forge anything just that goddam link you posted there...oya knock yasefgrin
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by firstking01(m): 10:08am On Aug 08, 2016
yourboyWill:

Knock yourself out
I'm telling you what i witnessed live undecided…them don born you that time niundecided…and moreover, somebody can just wake up and forge anything just that goddam link you posted there...oya knock yasefgrin...
Re: Common[Hilarious] Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by ChappyChase: 10:10am On Aug 08, 2016
0ubenji:

Buhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*staggers*
Somebori help! My stomach hurts!..lolz
So wah if u pee in a convenience whr lots of ppl are in, at The same time wit u? Like the ones in a shoppin mall or cinema
U stil spit on it in their presence?
Hahahahahahah.........
Even if na obama and all him aid dey there, I go still spit!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Guys Always Suspect Girls Who Shows Interest In Them / You Can't Marry A Guy Who Earns Below 200k A Month, But Your Boyfriend Earns 55k / Rich And Ugly Vs Handsome And Broke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.