Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,542 members, 7,837,084 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (678574 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 12:52am On Sep 03, 2016
onyembu2013:
@ imperiouxx and lagosismyhome. Is it possible to get an on- campus job after two weeks of arrival to school?

Yes if there is available position for job inside your school

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 1:39am On Sep 03, 2016
Walspring:

Yes if there is available position for job inside your school
you have a PM bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 2:20am On Sep 03, 2016
African Student's Union,Tennessee tech chapter.
Nigerians full ground for here o.
Ah dey tell you.
80% of us here are 9ja

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 2:21am On Sep 03, 2016
OluDare01:

grin grin
Exactly
But Ebonics na another level o
Thank God I'm in the south.
I dey flow freely with their accent for here
i was down there in the summer, you see those grin french creole black girls ehn shocked shocked shocked very good looking set of people, abeg bros invite me for labor day weekend na grin cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 2:27am On Sep 03, 2016
amanze15:
i was down there in the summer, you see those grin french creole black girls ehn shocked shocked shocked very good looking set of people, abeg bros invite me for labor day weekend na grin cheesy
Next year grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 2:50am On Sep 03, 2016
OluDare01:

Next year grin grin
gerrrrahere angry angry angry angry, as kreg people in Louisiana would say "ou foutu moute" grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OjaP: 3:49am On Sep 03, 2016
electronic--

Can you provide a list of the schools that you have applied to? I suspect you applied to the wrong schools.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by cseejhay: 5:03am On Sep 03, 2016
MrMann1:

I understand the condition of Post Bac, cos I asked before leaving Naija. It was explained to me that I will have to do some courses to complete bachelors degree. I concluded that since my evaluation reads that I completed a 3 year toward a bachelors degree, it would take about a year for my post bac.

Hello house, if your school requires you to take a post bachelors credits before starting your Masters program, do you think they will issue you a bachelors certificate on completion of the bachelors credits? thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by cseejhay: 5:09am On Sep 03, 2016
cseejhay:

Hello house, if your school requires you to take a post bachelors credits before starting your Masters program, do you think they will issue you a bachelors certificate on completion of the bachelors credits? thanks.

Lagosismyhome, wah you think about this? good morning.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:09am On Sep 03, 2016
onyembu2013:
@ imperiouxx and lagosismyhome. Is it possible to get an on- campus job after two weeks of arrival to school?

It is very possible in big schools and also its 50/50 so plan against if it happens or dont happen. This is very school dependent as some schools are easier than others.....i would say find someone who is already in that school to ask on what the prospect are for oncampus jobs
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:12am On Sep 03, 2016
cseejhay:

Lagosismyhome, wah you think about this? good morning.

Goodmorning.....i was never in this situation so i have no idea at all....MrMann1 we will wait to hear your school policy on this .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 03, 2016
Walspring:

Am doing great by the grace of God

Let us smile and over look it when we get that kind of response because no time to waste grin grin grin

Yea ok.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mokorie: 8:40am On Sep 03, 2016
I want to first of all thank everyone here for all the advice and transcript you all have shared, even though I don't comment but I always visit.
I went to the embassy for my US student vissa on 1st September 2016 and I was given ...will post the transcript soon

14 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mswitch(m): 10:08am On Sep 03, 2016
justwise:

Here is the part 10 as requested.

A big thank you to dedicated members here for making out time to answer questions on daily basis, the success of this thread is all down to you.

Part 9 is here for reference purposes: https://www.nairaland.com/3103711/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part

You can also ask VO question in this thread started to help students https://www.nairaland.com/2991174/u.s-student-visa-f1-m1

Good luck!
Please i need your help in retrieving my email password in filling my DV160, please for God sake tell me how to retrieve it please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by justwise(m): 10:14am On Sep 03, 2016
mswitch:

Please i need your help in retrieving my email password in filling my DV160, please for God sake tell me how to retrieve it please.

Have you tried using: Forgot password function ? Else you may have to start afresh .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by KPhantom(m): 10:36am On Sep 03, 2016
OluDare01:

With full funding
You'd still spend up to a million before you get here.
Aside application
Sevis and visa fee
Flight
Settling down
My brother,you won't start receiving your stipend immediately.
So brace up
Have a nice day
did u just say one will spend up to a million to get to the US? ah, my guy my guy... chisos..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by kenniez26: 10:54am On Sep 03, 2016
@ mokorie is your visa for spring 2017 or fall 2016?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:29am On Sep 03, 2016
Ibrahim Waziri: From HND in Nigeria to PhD in America

Getting a Ph.D. from an American university has always been dream. But like many HND graduates, I always wondered if I would be able to continue with my studies in the US with a Nigerian HND. Would the HND be recognized as the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree? I had no clue until I came across Prof. Farooq Kperogi’s Weekly Trust column and blog.

In November 2009, I read Prof. Kperogi’s article titled “Studying in America: What you need to know.” After reading the article, and understanding how the process of getting accepted into an American University was, I emailed him to inquire whether my HND was equivalent to an American bachelor’s degree. He answered my questions, provided in-depth guidance, and later published another article titled “HND and American Universities,” which provided a step-by-step guide on how an HND graduate can continue studying in the US.

Following guidance from Prof. Kperogi’s article, I submitted my OND and HND transcripts to the Word Education Services (WES) for evaluation. (WES is the largest international credential evaluation service in America and Canada). The evaluation results said my HND was equivalent to an American bachelor’s degree.

At the time my transcripts were under evaluation, I prepared for and took my Graduate Records Exams (GRE) and benefitted from the resources Prof. Kperogi generously shared with me. I got impressive scores. I applied for the master’s program at Georgia Tech, Southern Poly State University, and Georgia Southern University. I got accepted into Georgia Southern with a Graduate Assistance

In May 2014, I graduated with my master’s degree. Immediately after, in August 2014, I started my Ph.D. in Information Security at Purdue University, one of the best universities in the world.

I graduated with my Ph.D. in August 2016. My research areas are Network Security, Cloud Computing, and Virtualization Security. I have published and presented papers relating to Firewalls, Phishing Attacks, Cyber Forensics, etc.

I currently work as a Security Research Engineer in Washington, DC. I still consider myself a student and want to gain more in-depth hands-on experience in the ever-changing Cyber Security field. But, ultimately, I want to come back home (Nigeria) to help tackle the Cyber Security issues Nigeria faces. You can look me up on LinkedIn or on my personal page at iiwaziri.com.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by electronic(m): 12:42pm On Sep 03, 2016
OjaP:
electronic--

Can you provide a list of the schools that you have applied to? I suspect you applied to the wrong schools.
I applied late Bro!
U of Arkansas Fayetville Reject PHD undecided
U of Arkansas Little Rock Admit PHD no funding undecided
Miami Ohio admit Msc no fundiing undecided
Oklahoma State University. Reject PHD undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by electronic(m): 1:03pm On Sep 03, 2016
Walspring:

Dealing with the problem from the root
]
Yes Bro!!
The Root
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by electronic(m): 1:06pm On Sep 03, 2016
dickoflife:
my dear brother. Your destiny is not in anyway connected to funding. If you want to be funded play naira bet bring the result and the numbers to number 42 owusu abeyi street shomolu with a squirell that has hunchback, two siamese ostriches and a vulture that has gone to the underworld and returned. Then you will get funding. Till then i implore you to exercise patience as ifa has deduced that your grandfathers younger brothers sister on your mothers side is a witch and she is the one doing you.

Guy you NO WELL OHH
you think say i dey joke!!!
I dey Serious.
OPERATION CROCODILE FUNDING cool cool or nothing!!
Thanks for the humor sha....
Just in case you have Application Fess scholarship you can PM me wink grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:11pm On Sep 03, 2016
MrMann1:

Fine, it was stated, but there are some courses that I have taken before and they still want me to take them, simply because some of my poly courses are 2 unit while it is 3 unit here.

I didn't know they already stated the terms and conditions of your admission with you before you left Nigeria. Since this is the case, you shouldn't even say anything. Most schools don't accept students to come and do make up in US because of situation like this. But still, there are always those greedy schools like yours with some kind of ulterior motives when admitting students.

You have to redo those prereqs course that are below 3 cr since they are important parts of your grad studies. Last year when I was preparing to apply to a course which needs a 3 cr bio-statistics, I have to retake a 200 L applied statistics because wes converted my initial 4 cr biostatistics from Nigeria to 2 cr. The good thing is that you will likely get better grades when you retake them.

Students should just be careful when schools started asking for an unconventional evaluator.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:20pm On Sep 03, 2016
onyembu2013:

Like others told you, it depends on the school student population and numbers of open positions. But still don't expect to get paid even if you were able to get a job within that 2 weeks. Reason is because out of compassion, the job employed you while your ssn application is still pending.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by onyembu2013: 1:27pm On Sep 03, 2016
@imperiouxx, how long does it take to process SSN application?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dickoflife(m): 1:30pm On Sep 03, 2016
[Qquote author=electronic post=49037665]

Guy you NO WELL OHH
you think say i dey joke!!!
I dey Serious.
OPERATION CROCODILE FUNDING cool cool or nothing!!
Thanks for the humor sha....
Just in case you have Application Fess scholarship you can PM me wink grin[/quote]no vex. I dey look nooni...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:31pm On Sep 03, 2016
onyembu2013:
@imperiouxx, how long does it take to process SSN application?

You should ask those that came this year. Back then I got it like within 2 weeks after application. It was in New Mexico.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:33pm On Sep 03, 2016
Mustghan:

I guess den, she knew wat she was doing. She told me yesterday she s applying for her PHd.

From wat I gathered on dis forum, a PhD will only postpone ur departure date BT not change d visa status, m I right?

Right.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by MrMann1(m): 1:36pm On Sep 03, 2016
cseejhay:

Yes.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Correct ....The problem with the phd is that she would be able to extend her f1 but not be able to change status to PR or any spouse visa so in some years still at this same point .... because of fullbright thing she expected to spend 2 years in naija thats all.

if its me i will not postpone that issue , i would just get rid of it now then start afresh . Do 1 year that is left in naija then come back for phd. That way her phd can be on her husband dependent visa (although i am not sure what exactly that is, if spouse of a citizen better then her 5 or 3 years starts counting to her own citizenship ) instead of been on F1 visa again . ... because if after phd she then gets a good job that willing to file h1b (let assume she wasn't married and need h1b after opt). The company will still not be able to file h1b until she has fulfilled the 2 years giving back . ..... if she knew she would have just waited one more year in naija before going for d masters in d first place and this issue would never have been there . ...i really don't see d big deal in going back to naija for one more year to resolve this issue once and for all if she cannot get a waiver........ Why postpone it

This is the problem facing people on those kinds of scholarship. Source for tuition and living expenses by yourself, you won't be held down by any kind of funny agreement.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:39pm On Sep 03, 2016
electronic:
Gentle Men/Ladies in the House!!
I hail....Two years in a row no funding OHHH!! (Since team 2015) grin grin
Profile 3.3/4 GRE: (157Q/155V) 312 TOEFL: Not Yet.
Bsc: Elect Elect
Msc: 3.38/4 (just unofficial transcripts)
(a school i applied to sent me the conversion)

So guys how do go about this funding racket. I have spent close to $1000 on this application issue cry cry cry
I am thinking of going MFM/CHOSEN/WINNERS/REDEEM just in case the problem is from my Village angry

But please i know google is my friend an all that but i just need first hand info Abeg.

Team Fall 2017 (God Help Us all)
Somebody @Mekurexx suggested calstate but i just don't know how? which of the calstates sef....
any tips would be appretiated.

I will share my testimony here IJN! wink

I just read where you said it's for PhD. You should expect such because phd in stem comes with lot of funding and as such, the admission is highly competitive. Those that told you no funding had already given it to the best applicants. Keep on searching, you will still get yours.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 1:50pm On Sep 03, 2016
KPhantom:

did u just say one will spend up to a million to get to the US? ah, my guy my guy... chisos..
How does it sound
Do the maths na
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:57pm On Sep 03, 2016
OluDare01:
Those of you that don't wanna write toefl, be warned! I didn't write toefl so getting funding wasn't easy.When I got here, even guys from Bangladesh India Sri Lanka got TA and me that my English is top notch didn't get anything.
The grad school said I'm proficient in English but my dept said no. No be small thing o. My solid background got me funding. I am not taking any prerequisites unlike other incoming students. In short, write toefl. Abeg.
My fellow students said I speak good English grin You go wan fear sexy voice na cheesy

Dare, this is your school standard requirement for TA. I have said it before that as a new int'l MS student you don't get to teach undergrads because you're still new to the system, combine with your accent. But after one semester in the grad school, you're eligible to start teaching a lower undergrad course. Your school based the eligibility for TA on toefl, that's why they just want to see your toefl score.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.