Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (672207 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by godG: 8:52pm On Sep 03, 2016
NairaSea23:

I don't know if this is the case with other schools, but in UW System, text books charges are added to your total bill so at the beginning of semester, you can just check out all your textbooks and return them at the end of the semester.

Yeske. On, Wisconsin!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by thacokeboy: 9:02pm On Sep 03, 2016
OluDare01:
if you like apply go jupiter seems the truth is bitter smh MODIFIED
I said application not application fees.
. better
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mcaylife(m): 9:13pm On Sep 03, 2016
hello house quick question for those that traveled to yankee recently... I want to take some agbo and agunmu with me when traveling. I hope it will not be thrashed at the point of entry. 2. if it will not be thrash how do u suggest I pack it and is it import I declare it or not in the form. thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by boneruns(m): 9:15pm On Sep 03, 2016
OluDare01:

while you prepare for gre, try and focus on toefl too esp the speaing and listening sections.
Apply to the right schools and you are good to go.
Wish you all the best

Thanks, baba Dare.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by onyembu2013: 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2016
biikeys:

You should widen your options to schools in Texas as well..try UTD,UTA and submit your application as early as you can. You should get funding with your profile for EE. Hope your LoRs and statement are really good too.
Another thing that can help your application is also to contact professors who's research work align with what you want, and then email them about your interest. Give them a call if you can. You should have read few of their papers before doing this, or they might not even reply your email.

@bilikey, how can someone get to read all those professors publication. I have been trying to find some professor publication but to no avail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 11:57pm On Sep 03, 2016
thacokeboy:
. I've done that Bro it's like that card can't work there even tried using my PayPal sef

What did the bank say when you called and explained to them ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by abduldope(m): 12:05am On Sep 04, 2016
biikeys:

You mean MBA?
yes
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by thacokeboy: 12:51am On Sep 04, 2016
Walspring:

What did the bank say when you called and explained to them ?
they said it's the network
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 1:12am On Sep 04, 2016
thacokeboy:
. 200k for application fees how many schools abeg shey Na university of heaven i wan apply for?
Lol, guy, he be like say you no know Wetin exchange rate dey talk now except you want to be like me that applied to just one school. I won't advice you oo, I just got lucky. Applied to one school and got full funding. It's better to spread your wings, else... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 1:13am On Sep 04, 2016
OluDare01:

Fine baba
we dey lowkey here in Cookeville grin
How NJ na?

NJ dey oo. We sef dey manage for here oo. The lowkey wey I dey for here pass ur own oo bro. grin. I just dey observe. cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 1:45am On Sep 04, 2016
OluDare01:

You no get any worries
Your cgpa gallant wella grin
Your 3.59 should hover around 3.20 like my bosses have said.
I wish you all the best in your pursuit

Someone should help keep a record of the converted (wes) cgpa posted here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by cosxzbay: 2:10am On Sep 04, 2016
'
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by cosxzbay: 2:26am On Sep 04, 2016
LagosismyHome:
Ibrahim Waziri: From HND in Nigeria to PhD in America

Getting a Ph.D. from an American university has always been dream. But like many HND graduates, I always wondered if I would be able to continue with my studies in the US with a Nigerian HND. Would the HND be recognized as the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree? I had no clue until I came across Prof. Farooq Kperogi’s Weekly Trust column and blog.

In November 2009, I read Prof. Kperogi’s article titled “Studying in America: What you need to know.” After reading the article, and understanding how the process of getting accepted into an American University was, I emailed him to inquire whether my HND was equivalent to an American bachelor’s degree. He answered my questions, provided in-depth guidance, and later published another article titled “HND and American Universities,” which provided a step-by-step guide on how an HND graduate can continue studying in the US.

Following guidance from Prof. Kperogi’s article, I submitted my OND and HND transcripts to the Word Education Services (WES) for evaluation. (WES is the largest international credential evaluation service in America and Canada). The evaluation results said my HND was equivalent to an American bachelor’s degree.

At the time my transcripts were under evaluation, I prepared for and took my Graduate Records Exams (GRE) and benefitted from the resources Prof. Kperogi generously shared with me. I got impressive scores. I applied for the master’s program at Georgia Tech, Southern Poly State University, and Georgia Southern University. I got accepted into Georgia Southern with a Graduate Assistance

In May 2014, I graduated with my master’s degree. Immediately after, in August 2014, I started my Ph.D. in Information Security at Purdue University, one of the best universities in the world.

I graduated with my Ph.D. in August 2016. My research areas are Network Security, Cloud Computing, and Virtualization Security. I have published and presented papers relating to Firewalls, Phishing Attacks, Cyber Forensics, etc.

I currently work as a Security Research Engineer in Washington, DC. I still consider myself a student and want to gain more in-depth hands-on experience in the ever-changing Cyber Security field. But, ultimately, I want to come back home (Nigeria) to help tackle the Cyber Security issues Nigeria faces. You can look me up on LinkedIn or on my personal page at iiwaziri.com.

PhD in 2 years in U.S...that's amazing! I'm wondering if they allowed him to transfer all his previous course credits?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:05am On Sep 04, 2016
cosxzbay:

PhD in 2 years in U.S...that's amazing! I'm wondering if they allowed him to transfer all his previous course credits?

The story was long so i didnt paste all ....

In May 2014, I graduated with my master’s degree. Immediately after, in August 2014, I started my Ph.D. in Information Security at Purdue University, one of the best universities in the world. I worked extremely hard, taking more classes than required per semester. Because of the rigor of the research training I got from my master’s degree program, I was able to work on my dissertation while doing my course work. This enabled me to complete my 90 hours coursework and dissertation in 2 years. This is unusual. Ph.D. education in US universities typically lasts a minimum of 4 years.

Source : Full story http://www.farooqkperogi.com/2016/09/ibrahim-waziri-from-hnd-in-nigeria-to.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by cosxzbay: 5:12am On Sep 04, 2016
LagosismyHome:

The story was long so i didnt paste all ....

In May 2014, I graduated with my master’s degree. Immediately after, in August 2014, I started my Ph.D. in Information Security at Purdue University, one of the best universities in the world. I worked extremely hard, taking more classes than required per semester. Because of the rigor of the research training I got from my master’s degree program, I was able to work on my dissertation while doing my course work. This enabled me to complete my 90 hours coursework and dissertation in 2 years. This is unusual. Ph.D. education in US universities typically lasts a minimum of 4 years.

Source : Full story http://www.farooqkperogi.com/2016/09/ibrahim-waziri-from-hnd-in-nigeria-to.html?m=1

Thanks for posting the complete story... . I almost change school.lol

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by thacokeboy: 6:43am On Sep 04, 2016
masquellett:

Lol, guy, he be like say you no know Wetin exchange rate dey talk now except you want to be like me that applied to just one school. I won't advice you oo, I just got lucky. Applied to one school and got full funding. It's better to spread your wings, else... grin grin grin
^_^ haha I just dey confused ni o. but I got u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by surgeonheric(m): 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2016
Abeg anybody with correct info on any of this schools East Tennessee state university University of Wyoming Minot state uni
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Flosslive: 3:50pm On Sep 04, 2016
Bro.. What school are you in?
masquellett:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by gunther6(m): 4:19pm On Sep 04, 2016
It's been a while o, Baba's and nnayi's in the house I greet you o, Na this mountain no allow us see that mountain. I thought education here was supposed to be fun and games, it isn't. Dicko I no get your naija WhatsApp again dem steal my phone for club had all my naija contacts and WhatsApp. To the Fall17 people we dey expect you.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Teekay2408(m): 4:36pm On Sep 04, 2016
hi peep I study English education and am planning for my masters in education and the plan is to become a lecturer after my masters programme,the problem I have now is writing GRE as I am not good in math need urr advice and is there any cheap Gre centre at abuja I need GRE materials pls post it on familusitokunbo@gmail.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Teekay2408(m): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2016
I have evaluated my transcript at Wes,i bagged BA ED English,but Wes gave me English education degree,i mailed them for it to be corrected up till now no response from them all I get is file in review though they already sent my initial one should I continue to use the education degree or what can I do because it's over three weeks now and they not done anything about the correction .av even call my school they said Wes never mailed them as regards this issue ,pls reply people
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Teekay2408(m): 4:47pm On Sep 04, 2016
Flosslive:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Teekay2408(m): 4:48pm On Sep 04, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Teekay2408(m): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2016
cosxzbay:

Thanks for posting the complete story... . I almost change school.lol
please I need urr candid advice how can we interact thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dramaka(m): 5:09pm On Sep 04, 2016
neahyo:

3.81/5.00 cannot be equivalent to 3.86/4.00.
You may re-calculate same using the free WES evaluation tool.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by boneruns(m): 5:21pm On Sep 04, 2016
masquellett:

NJ dey oo. We sef dey manage for here oo. The lowkey wey I dey for here pass ur own oo bro. grin. I just dey observe. cool

Bro I sent you a mail. Awaiting your response.

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by iCool(m): 5:43pm On Sep 04, 2016
Teekay2408:
The problem I have now is writing GRE as I am not good in math need urr advice and is there any cheap Gre centre at abuja.

I need GRE materials pls post it on ft@gmail.com

Follow this link, your questions are best answered there.
https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre

Since the Msc is in English language, you will be expected to perform better in the verbal section.
Check admission requirements for some schools you wish to attend to be better informed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 7:01pm On Sep 04, 2016
gunther6:
It's been a while o, Baba's and nnayi's in the house I greet you o, Na this mountain no allow us see that mountain. I thought education here was supposed to be fun and games, it isn't. Dicko I no get your naija WhatsApp again dem steal my phone for club had all my naija contacts and WhatsApp. To the Fall17 people we dey expect you.
Baba howfa na
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by revenant: 7:25pm On Sep 04, 2016
For someone with a bsc and msc, can he put all his transcripts (sealed by the two schools) together with other required document to WES in a single envelope via DHL. Inorder to safe cost, is it acceptable?
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 8:08pm On Sep 04, 2016
Flosslive:

Kean Uni sire!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 8:09pm On Sep 04, 2016
boneruns:

Bro I sent you a mail. Awaiting your response.

Thanks.

Yea. I saw your mail and replied immediately. I just did again. Check ur spam.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 8:09pm On Sep 04, 2016
thacokeboy:
^_^ haha I just dey confused ni o. but I got u

Aii Boss#

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.