Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? (22810 Views)

Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets / Daddy Freeze Wrong About Pastor Sam Adeyemi On Tithing / Timothy Omotoso Denied Bail In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by RooRuudRonSaha(m): 1:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
Bible is full of poo and contradictions and even tales of rape,incest,arson,murder and plagiarism.

2 Likes

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by josef1(m): 1:29pm On Aug 14, 2016
kobosmalls:

Those verses you quoted were narratives about his encounter with only moses after the 72 elders Aaron and moses ate and drank together with god.
My question lies with this one not that one you mentioned.
Put into account that god ate and drank with them.
It is impossible to eat and drink with a person without seeing him or her.
So, not only moses but along with the 72 elders were witnesses to this event.
Consider the vivid explanation they gave about what they saw.
you're just too canal and a confused nigga who's already lost in the depth of hell... You're neither a Christian nor a Muslim nor a Hindu nor a traditional religion practisionist why not face your business and jejely accept the eternal condemnation given to you for creating this thread?

1 Like

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Olushow144: 1:38pm On Aug 14, 2016
I think it's possible for Moses, Jacob and the likes to have seen God because they were in the Spirit when they made such claims.
It is impossible to see God as a man(in the flesh) as Timothy claimed but it can be possible in the Spirit
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Worksunlimited: 1:45pm On Aug 14, 2016
kobosmalls:
Exodus 24:9-11New International Version (NIV)

9 Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel went up 10 and saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was something like a pavement made of lapis lazuli, as bright blue as the sky. 11 But God did not raise his hand against these leaders of the Israelites; they saw God, and they ate and drank.

Compare.....
◄ 1 Timothy 6:16 ►
New International Version
who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen

God being all invisible and a spirit, which one do we consider right here?
Please consider and discuss the issue that this meme raises.

Do u know u can see your friend and not actually see him well but know he is the one...?

1 Like

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by chigozie1010: 1:50pm On Aug 14, 2016
No human has literally seen God. ( Exodus 33:20; John 1:18; 1 John 4:12 ) The Bible says that “God is a Spirit,” a form of life that is invisible to the human eye.— John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17 .
God can be seen directly by angels, though, because they are spirit creatures. (Matthew 18:10 ) Moreover, some humans who die will be raised to life in heaven with a spirit body and will then be able to see God.—
Philippians 3:20, 21; 1 John 3:2 .
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Echo50(m): 1:52pm On Aug 14, 2016
The bible by definition is; an inspired,
authoritative & infallable word of God. Be carefull with ur words b/c the HOLY SPIRIT have no word called mercy on the scroll.

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by chigozie1010: 1:52pm On Aug 14, 2016
In accounts where it might seem that the Bible says that humans literally saw God, the context shows that God was represented by an angel or appeared by means of a vision.
Angels. In ancient times, God sent angels as his representatives to appear to humans and to speak in his name. ( Psalm 103:20 ) For example, God once spoke to Moses from a burning bush, and the Bible says that “Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at the true God.” (Exodus 3:4, 6 ) Moses did not literally see God, though, for the context shows that he actually saw “Jehovah’s angel.”— Exodus 3:2 .
Similarly, when the Bible says that God “spoke to Moses face-to-face,” it means that God conversed with Moses intimately. ( Exodus 4:10, 11; 33:11 ) Moses did not actually see God’s face, for the information he received from God “was transmitted through angels.” ( Galatians 3:19; Acts 7:53 ) Still, Moses’ faith in God was so strong that the Bible described him as “seeing the One who is invisible.”— Hebrews 11:27 .
In the same way that he spoke to Moses, God communicated with Abraham through angels. Granted, a casual reading of the Bible might give the impression that Abraham literally saw God. ( Genesis 18:1, 33 ) However, the context shows that the “three men” who came to Abraham were actually angels sent by God. Abraham recognized them as God’s representatives and addressed them as if he were speaking directly to Jehovah.— Genesis 18:2, 3, 22, 32; 19:1 .
Visions. God has also appeared to humans through visions, or scenes presented to a person’s mind. For instance, when the Bible says that Moses and other Israelites “saw the God of Israel,” they really “saw a vision of the true God.” (Exodus 24:9-11 ) Likewise, the Bible sometimes says that prophets “saw Jehovah.” ( Isaiah 6:1; Daniel 7:9; Amos 9:1 ) In each case, the context shows that they were given a vision of God rather than a direct view of him.— Isaiah 1:1; Daniel 7:2; Amos 1:1
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Whymee: 1:55pm On Aug 14, 2016
@ OP, no Christians will agree with you that this facts of yours are contradictory, except the God fearing ones. accepting to such is like moving a step closer to reality. and Christians in attitude, they believe not in reality but in spirit, even if its false spirit. they want it that way

3 Likes

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by tonykel1(m): 2:06pm On Aug 14, 2016
Moses only saw God's infinity past. He did not see God in the physical. This is the reason he was able to write the book of the beginning (Genesis) through inspirational revelation which occurred before his (Moses) existence.
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by buccunmie(m): 2:32pm On Aug 14, 2016
Well, he requested to see God but it was recorded dat he only saw his back view I.e God walked past him and he could only see his back.
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by gentlegenius(m): 2:33pm On Aug 14, 2016
ifenes:

You made no sense.
But that wasn't my own statement. It's like that in that Bible portion, or are you telling me that the Bible made no sense?
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by barikay: 2:33pm On Aug 14, 2016
The Bible is true. No argument to avoid confusion " verse 10 says a convincing manifestation of his presence. Not his face. When you worship God earnestly we feels his presence. @ops always read full verse to extract single statement from a book can not give it contextual meaning
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 14, 2016
My iss. is with creation, seeing that man was made on the sixth day, how did he figure out what was created before him and the likes?
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2016
barikay:
The Bible is true. No argument to avoid confusion " verse 10 says a convincing manifestation of his presence. Not his face. When you worship God earnestly we feels his presence. @ops always read full verse to extract single statement from a book can not give it contextual meaning

However you permit your emotions sway is exactly how you're feel!
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by danigbo(m): 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2016
Scholar8200:

Both are correct.

Here's what God HImself told Moses:
20 But, He said, You can not see My face, for no man shall see Me and live.
Exodus 33:20

And here He clarifies it:

My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.

8 With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the Lord shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?
Numbers 12:7,8

You are very right here. Moses didn't see GOD but the similitude.

1 Like

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 14, 2016
buccunmie:
Well, he requested to see God but it was recorded dat he only saw his back view I.e God walked past him and he could only see his back.

Don't forget he was alone; What if his (Moses) claim is perceptual?
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Clementor(m): 2:48pm On Aug 14, 2016
kobosmalls:
Exodus 24:9-11New International Version (NIV)

9 Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel went up 10 and saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was something like a pavement made of lapis lazuli, as bright blue as the sky. 11 But God did not raise his hand against these leaders of the Israelites; they saw God, and they ate and drank.

Compare.....
◄ 1 Timothy 6:16 ►
New International Version
who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen

God being all invisible and a spirit, which one do we consider right here?
Please consider and discuss the issue that this meme raises.

the kingdom was showed to him as a vision.
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 14, 2016
tonykel1:
Moses only saw God's infinity past. He did not see God in the physical. This is the reason he was able to write the book of the beginning (Genesis) through inspirational revelation which occurred before his (Moses) existence.

Could it be perceptual revelation?
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by ifenes(m): 2:58pm On Aug 14, 2016
gentlegenius:

But that wasn't my own statement. It's like that in that Bible portion, or are you telling me that the Bible made no sense?

The bible made no sense. It is a compilation of different opinions of people who lived in different societies.

2 Likes

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by ifenes(m): 3:00pm On Aug 14, 2016
buccunmie:

He it has a back,it will definitely have a face,hands and joystick right?

2 Likes

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 14, 2016
chigozie1010:
In accounts where it might seem that the Bible says that humans literally saw God, the context shows that God was represented by an angel or appeared by means of a vision.
Angels. In ancient times, God sent angels as his representatives to appear to humans and to speak in his name. ( Psalm 103:20 ) For example, God once spoke to Moses from a burning bush, and the Bible says that “Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at the true God.” (Exodus 3:4, 6 ) Moses did not literally see God, though, for the context shows that he actually saw “Jehovah’s angel.”— Exodus 3:2 .
Similarly, when the Bible says that God “spoke to Moses face-to-face,” it means that God conversed with Moses intimately. ( Exodus 4:10, 11; 33:11 ) Moses did not actually see God’s face, for the information he received from God “was transmitted through angels.” ( Galatians 3:19; Acts 7:53 ) Still, Moses’ faith in God was so strong that the Bible described him as “seeing the One who is invisible.”— Hebrews 11:27 .
In the same way that he spoke to Moses, God communicated with Abraham through angels. Granted, a casual reading of the Bible might give the impression that Abraham literally saw God. ( Genesis 18:1, 33 ) However, the context shows that the “three men” who came to Abraham were actually angels sent by God. Abraham recognized them as God’s representatives and addressed them as if he were speaking directly to Jehovah.— Genesis 18:2, 3, 22, 32; 19:1 .
Visions. God has also appeared to humans through visions, or scenes presented to a person’s mind. For instance, when the Bible says that Moses and other Israelites “saw the God of Israel,” they really “saw a vision of the true God.” (Exodus 24:9-11 ) Likewise, the Bible sometimes says that prophets “saw Jehovah.” ( Isaiah 6:1; Daniel 7:9; Amos 9:1 ) In each case, the context shows that they were given a vision of God rather than a direct view of him.— Isaiah 1:1; Daniel 7:2; Amos 1:1

With all this quote you're dishing, do you think any occurence that's contradictory will be incorporated in a book of law? The bible was compiled by mortal men, don't be swayed abeg! Where is the epistle of Judas, Barnabas and the likes? Abeg Jor, pipe-down!
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by 0ubenji(m): 3:05pm On Aug 14, 2016
obongkaks:

If u go back in time to Genesis, u will see God relating with man on the basis of grace. Case in point, Adam and Eve sinned but God never punished them, rather he came down to them and even killed an animal to cloth them.

CAIN killed Abel and God never punished Cain rather he placed a mark on Cain so that no one wud kill him. Abraham was an Idol worshipper but God still called him and blessed him and his descendants.

All was well untill Man asked for the law. The law came to expose the faults of man and each fault stipulated punishments. How ever Jesus came to fulfill the requirement of the law cos man was helpless as Regards the law.

the angle from which u read the Holy bible, to av derived such alien understanding of the referenced scriptures is quite strange I must say..
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 14, 2016
Echo50:
The bible by definition is; an inspired,
authoritative & infallable word of God. Be carefull with ur words b/c the HOLY SPIRIT have no word called mercy on the scroll.

You remind me a lot about someone who's been wired to believe if he dies for a particular course, he's gonna enjoy in paradise with 7 virgins ... However you feel about this iss. is squarely the way you've been wired!

2 Likes

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by ngmgeek(m): 3:16pm On Aug 14, 2016
Curiosity kills the cat. Certain things are better left alone, my friend.

I suspect the next thing you will do is to start reading the 7 books of Moses.

And then, Madness may arrive. And then, you will say you are the owner of NAIRALAND cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by teniyi(m): 3:51pm On Aug 14, 2016
winner01:
9. Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel,
10. and they saw the God of Israel; and under His feet there appeared to be a pavement of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself

Two options:

1. The elders had some glimpse of the glory of God, though whatever they saw, it was something of which no image or picture could be made. Nothing is described but what was under his feet.
How do you see someone and the only description you have is the under of his feet.

Timothy was right: No one can see God and live, but one can see or behold the glory or the goodness of God.

Just like God told Moses later:
“I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. . . . But . . . you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live”.

2. They may also have seen a christophany (a pre-incarnate image of God). Jacob wrestled with such being, and it was said that he wrestled with God. We know its not possible to wrestle with God.

These are my opinions, others can give theirs.

Stephen, You wont see me on such threads cos the aim of such threads are mockery and nothing more. I'm in a lighter mood that why i have decided to oblige you. My sole intent on this section is being reflected in my threads. Thanks.

Controversial book!

1 Like

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by buccunmie(m): 3:56pm On Aug 14, 2016
CocknBull:

Don't forget he was alone; What if his (Moses) claim is perceptual?
Dat is left for u to debate.
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by buccunmie(m): 3:59pm On Aug 14, 2016
ifenes:

He it has a back,it will definitely have a face,hands and joystick right?
Go to heaven n find out
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by elisinho(m): 4:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
what moses saw was JESUS CHRIST (I AM )
JESUS is the I AM he even said it in John 8vs 58 before Abraham I AM its know as Christophene
we should know the difference between Christophene and theophany please
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Boss13: 4:41pm On Aug 14, 2016
tonykel1:

Who told you Moses wrote Genesis? Why make such claims when you have no emprically evidence to support your claim?
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 14, 2016
obongkaks:

If u go back in time to Genesis, u will see God relating with man on the basis of grace. Case in point, Adam and Eve sinned but God never punished them, rather he came down to them and even killed an animal to cloth them.

CAIN killed Abel and God never punished Cain rather he placed a mark on Cain so that no one wud kill him. Abraham was an Idol worshipper but God still called him and blessed him and his descendants.

Fair enough.

All was well untill Man asked for the law. The law came to expose the faults of man and each fault stipulated punishments. How ever Jesus came to fulfill the requirement of the law cos man was helpless as Regards the law.
Sorry, but almost all you said was what I implied in my previous post.

You are trying to say prior to when God hasn't given his rules to man, there abounded the grace of forgiveness, but that forgiveness died immediately man demanded for the will of God. Regarding that fact, God was supposed to get rid of king David after david sent a man to his death, only for him to keep for himself the man's wife. Surprisingly, our loving God didn't dish out a swift punishment despite the fact that David broke rules 7, 6 & 10. He told a prophet, called nathan, to go tell david of his wicked act and of what he will do to him. That was when david realised his sin. But Elijah refused to scold the children that mocked him likewise. Without warning, he commanded beasts to devour them.

That's favouritism and hypocrisy the glorious bible have shown once again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by rhektor(m): 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2016
promise10:

@stephenmorris Stop deluding yourself, thinking that without this persons, the word of God cannot be defended. Wake up please!

@OP, NO MAN HAD EVER SEEN GOD. Even John 1:18 confirms this to us as well. So it's not a coincidence in timothy, but A FACT.

John 1:18;"18 No man hath seen God AT ANY TIME; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

So, even moses NEVER, NEVER, NEVER saw God.

What he saw was the GLORY OF GOD through angels.

As a matter of fact, moses never saw God in the burning bush what he saw was an ANGEL, by the authority of God.

Acts 7:35;"35 This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand OF THE ANGEL WHICH APPEARED TO HIM IN THE BURNING BUSH."

As a matter of fact, God never ordained the law BY HIMSELF PHYSICALLY, but it was ordained by angels by God's authority.

Gal 3:19;" Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and IT(law) WAS ORDAINED BY ANGELS in the hand of a mediator(moses under law)"

As a matter of fact, God NEVER SPOKE the law BY HIS OWN MOUTH, but through angels.

Heb 2:2; "For if the word(law) SPOKEN BY ANGELS was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;"

Note: it is only under the law one receives the punishment one deserves.

AS a matter of fact, God NEVER deposited the law SINGLE-HANDEDLY BY HIMSELF. It was deposited through angels.

Acts 7:52-53;"52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
53 Who have RECEIVED THE LAW BY THE DISPOSITION OF ANGELS and have not kept it."

So, the law was given all through angels BY THE AUTHORITY OF GOD.

Now, in the old testament, you may see something like "And the lord appeared..., and the lord spoke..." And many more, it doesn't mean that God HIMSELF PHYSICALLY APPEARED, but he appeared THROUGH A MEDIUM, most times, through angels.

More grace sir
Re: Did Moses See God Or Was Timothy Wrong About No One Being Able To see God? by ifenes(m): 6:01pm On Aug 14, 2016
buccunmie:

Go to heaven n find out

Heaven is an allegory,its not real.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Of The Ten Commandments Do You Find Difficult To Obey?? / 6 Powerful Prayer Points For MMM Participants / Watch Your Tongue, DSS Warns Apostle Suleman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.