Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others (26841 Views)

Nigerians Spent N3.66trn On Calls, Data In Two Years — NCC / Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS / Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2016
Onegai:

Paying taxes on the one sector that is functioning and still growing is asking Nigeria to be sent back to 1920s. There is no money and no source of income, inflation is rising and salaries are stalled. Where exactly are the masses going to pay for taxes from? Instead this will force people to turn Telecommunications into something that is a luxury, effectively crippling the Technological Growth you so badly crave for and write about constantly. Nigeria is poor but the people who made it poor are in power looting away still. Not one single governor or political has agreed to give up their allowances, talkless of salary cuts. Not one governor reduced the number of Commissioner or aides. Even ex-governors are getting huge pensions. Which is why any loans we take all waste: the money will be spent on maintaining them. So the masses must resist any form of passing the buck if the government itself doesn't start cleaning up their expenditures.

Nigerians are not serious: no other country will accept this nonsense. By now there would be riots and people will have seized the airports to prevent politicians from fleeing.

Agree with all you said.

Like i have said elsewhere....there have to be cuts in those big salaries and benefits and pensions government officials earn.We are not earning enough from oil, and everyone has to make sacrifices.

But...that won't sort out our money issues completely. Hence the short term ''solution'' of tax raises, and the long term solution of ending our resource dependency and going industrial...so that we have an abundance of big Nigerian industrial conglomerates to tax well well (I am serious).
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
uzolexis:

It's obvious you know nothing about economics but let me help you with a very simple and basic economic theory

Yes....when your economy is also an actively producing economy....not the import dependent economy Nigeria is.

We reduce taxes....we will end up with more dollars fleeing abroad...bad news for the naira.

Our problem really is import dependency. And oil dependency. China and Japan and US are in no one's pocket because industries. Why not Nigeria? Why should we be eating biscuit made in Turkey and Indonesia?
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by princy80(m): 2:23pm On Aug 18, 2016
1.7 billion naira food allowance! what is he eating?
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Tonyreal49(m): 2:37pm On Aug 18, 2016
how will this Guy survive in this horrible country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by blackprowler: 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2016
As the government gets less revenue from free oil to steal from, they will begin to steal directly from the population. Nigeria will continue to collapse until the populace stop watching Davido and Nollywood and trying to find out what Tonto Dikeh wore under her dress, to start to pay interest in how governments should function and how democracy works. It's foolhardy to wake up one day and get on the streets rioting about hardships when you have no idea about anything in the world other than how entertainers WHOM YOU ENRICHED STUPENDOUSLY are lavishing their money. This country is a joke!
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by mfm04622: 4:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
ideology:
abeg what is the minimum wage of UK, compared to Nigeria, how much do you buy fuel per litre in UK compare that will Nigeria, when you are done, i have hypo for you, use it and wash your brain

You are STUPID for talking to your elders like that! Don't just compare minimum wage. Also compare the cost of living in UK! Go and ask how much a year of higher education cost too! I repeat, you want good things but you don't want to pay for it
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by mfm04622: 4:17pm On Aug 18, 2016
Saintp:

Our problem has never been oil price. Our main problem has been lack of leadership. Why would they keep taxing the citizens while they maintain their extravagant allowances? The president has N1.7B food budget, too many private jets, so many perks of office, senators earn too much for doing nothing other than to pad budgets.
First, the president should reduce his food budget to N100m, sell of those jets, sponsor bills that would mandate public office holders to earn like civil servants, no more jumbo allowances etc then we can talk about more tax for the citizens. We can't be funding these idiots in power.

That is what i mean by holding our leaders accountable! We don't have the right to do that when we don't do our part.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by iLovenaijabet: 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2016
CHANGE ! sad
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ideology(m): 6:02pm On Aug 18, 2016
mfm04622:

You are STUPID for talking to your elders like that! Don't just compare minimum wage. Also compare the cost of living in UK! Go and ask how much a year of higher education cost too! I repeat, you want good things but you don't want to pay for it
elders ni, hahaha

Go and study, the history of taxation in UK, before you argue anyhow.

Elder, that can not communicate responsibly.

Are you aware that for every recharge voucher, you buy that it has been taxed already, is it not maddness to tax me again for using the card. Abi Did i buy it for decoration.

Abeg sware, taxing the low class to feed political class, be like you follow …

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by kechywillz(m): 6:09pm On Aug 18, 2016
Very insensitive government that doesn't feel the plight of is citizens,as things are getting though,they want it to get harder. Are we suffering because we denied this man being a president for 3 consecutive times? angry angry
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by chigaemezuogu: 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nigeria leaders are confusionists to the extent of planning to defraud their fellow citizens to enrich them selves, what will give us joy in this flabagasted country to pay tax? No gud governance, no gud road, no food, oil, money, no gud hospital, no electricity, educational system and economy are in comatose. No public utility and development.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 12:16am On Aug 19, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Agree with all you said.

Like i have said elsewhere....there have to be cuts in those big salaries and benefits and pensions government officials earn.We are not earning enough from oil, and everyone has to make sacrifices.

But...that won't sort out our money issues completely. Hence the short term ''solution'' of tax raises, and the long term solution of ending our resource dependency and going industrial...so that we have an abundance of big Nigerian industrial conglomerates to tax well well (I am serious).
do you realise that the incidence of this policy is you and I?
call rates increases, you advocating for increase in tax , have even asked why such policy wouldn't favour the poor and the rich wouldn't feel anything.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 3:45am On Aug 19, 2016
Ekeretom:
Why not kill us at once??....... While they get allowance for sms, data, mms, etc we buy from our meagre salaries.... Still they want to take all away from us. Rubbish.

SMH

Sai Baba

Oops one chance.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 19, 2016
ideology:
elders ni, hahaha

Go and study, the history of taxation in UK, before you argue anyhow.

Elder, that can not communicate responsibly.

Are you aware that for every recharge voucher, you buy that it has been taxed already, is it not maddness to tax me again for using the card. Abi Did i buy it for decoration.

Abeg sware, taxing the low class to feed political class, be like you follow …
UK government are sincere while Nigeria politicians are corrupt including the system of governance
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by reyin(m): 10:17am On Aug 21, 2016
why not tax the food eaten
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by stuntman007: 5:27pm On Aug 23, 2016
montezz:

Make I hear say I no run comot this country before 2019.

Lol.

Please don't. Stay with us
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 20, 2016
God sef don tire, e no fit save us grin
kbams241:
* Under Goodluck Jonathan...
Orezi: 1million in my pocket... Davido: Emi omo baba olowo...
* Under Mohammodu Buhari...
Orezi: Double ur hustle
Davido: Biko yem ego
Nigeria na only GOD fit save us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures From The Boom J8 Launch In Lagos / USSD Code: How To Check Your Gtbank Account Balance With Your Phone / What Network Has The Lowest Call Tariff And Plan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.