Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others (26839 Views)

Nigerians Spent N3.66trn On Calls, Data In Two Years — NCC / Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS / Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by hunkydory(m): 9:32am On Aug 18, 2016
Ekeretom:
Why not kill us at once??....... While they get allowance for sms, data, mms, etc we buy from our meagre salaries.... Still they want to take all away from us. Rubbish.
They will all die. Thieves
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Chidimba: 9:41am On Aug 18, 2016
I tot they said they have recovered billions from corrupt politicians, where is the money? Can't it be used to do whatever they need money for? Why must the poor masses suffer from every action they take? They should start by reducing their take home salary and allowances b4 getting to the masses.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Onegai(f): 9:48am On Aug 18, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well, I am not a zombie, or a wailer, but I can see the sense in government charging taxes on calls.

You see....today, oil prices are now $50 per barrel, and not too long ago they were $29 a barrel. In 2013....oil was $112 per barrel.

That means every barrel of oil we sell in Nigeria now....we are earning $62 less than we earned in 2013.

And oil sadly is our main source of revenue (and don't start singing agric. Agric is not the money spinner it once was. Neither is mining).

And if you recall.....we do not control the price of oil (Or for that matter cocoa,palmoil , groundnut or cotton. Or solid minerals).

When the source of your revenue goes down.....you have to look for other sources of revenue. it takes time to diversify.....ie YEARS. Meanwhile,we need the cash now to pay salaries,build things, keep subsidizing education and so on.

So taxes have to go up.....and new ones have to be found.

Or we take a loan from the IMF ......AND use the money to keep on pretending all is well.(We still have to take loans from the IMF).

And here is the cold reality. Oil is not going to rise again , and we cannot diversify into agric or mining because prices there are low too.(Most agric dependent African countries have their budgets written for them by international aid agenices You want that?)

Nigerians.....we are paying the price for years of relying on oil. And the only way out is more austerity measures....so that we can have the cash to fix the lights and transport...so that we can become industrial Not selling raw materials like this APC govt and their PDP predecessors and most of their Army precursors did.

So stop wailing, stop zombeisim. and face the fact. We are not a rich nation. This oil price fall has shown us the truth. And an oil price rise is not the answer to our problems.

Pay your taxes .THERE IS NO NATIONAL CAKE.

Paying taxes on the one sector that is functioning and still growing is asking Nigeria to be sent back to 1920s. There is no money and no source of income, inflation is rising and salaries are stalled. Where exactly are the masses going to pay for taxes from? Instead this will force people to turn Telecommunications into something that is a luxury, effectively crippling the Technological Growth you so badly crave for and write about constantly. Nigeria is poor but the people who made it poor are in power looting away still. Not one single governor or political has agreed to give up their allowances, talkless of salary cuts. Not one governor reduced the number of Commissioner or aides. Even ex-governors are getting huge pensions. Which is why any loans we take all waste: the money will be spent on maintaining them. So the masses must resist any form of passing the buck if the government itself doesn't start cleaning up their expenditures.

Nigerians are not serious: no other country will accept this nonsense. By now there would be riots and people will have seized the airports to prevent politicians from fleeing.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by phranq(m): 9:48am On Aug 18, 2016
hornybee:
Lemme just buy fuel for thunder generator. No b small thunder go faya una.

bros abeg afit boro dat ua generator for like 2 wks? I wan use send smth
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by 989900: 9:50am On Aug 18, 2016
The people have to reject this -- this is robbery!

Where is Femi Falana, Tinubu and co. now?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by signz: 9:54am On Aug 18, 2016
Johnrake69:

He should expand the tax base so that the same money then goes back to fund the extravagant lifestyle of government officials. Are we all so foolish in this country? Presidency has more than 5 private jets, #1.7billion for food, #4.5billion for health care but still travels to UK for ear treatment. We maintain two legislative houses only so they can pass laws like providing life Pensions for their members.

These issues must be addressed before we can support the introduction of further taxes.

My Chief, I agree with you 100% but our leaders cannot and will not reduce the cost of governance or their standard of living for selfish reasons. At least for now.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by TyrantInAsoRock: 10:11am On Aug 18, 2016
Kuku kill us now
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Sibrah: 10:30am On Aug 18, 2016
Gaborone:
I totally agree with this President of ATCON, this would worsen the already bad case of double taxation.

Additionally, I think this shows a total lack of ingenuity and ideas. I say so because, here they are, so excited about introducing this as an answer to the drive of the government for revenue, forgetting that those who would have to pay are already crumbling under the weight of poverty and lack. They just cannot think of alternative ways of bolstering the economy, so, they gloss over the problem and take the easy route which would culminate in adding more stress to people.

The most painful part of it all is that, this sounds like a bill which President Buhari would speedily give his assent to.

All these after taxing the Telcos. God dey watch us in 4D.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Femmany: 10:38am On Aug 18, 2016
Onegai:

Paying taxes on the one sector that is functioning and still growing is asking Nigeria to be sent back to 1920s. There is no money and no source of income, inflation is rising and salaries are stalled. Where exactly are the masses going to pay for taxes from? Instead this will force people to turn Telecommunications into something that is a luxury, effectively crippling the Technological Growth you so badly crave for and write about constantly. Nigeria is poor but the people who made it poor are in power looting away still. Not one single governor or political has agreed to give up their allowances, talkless of salary cuts. Not one governor reduced the number of Commissioner or aides. Even ex-governors are getting huge pensions. Which is why any loans we take all waste: the money will be spent on maintaining them. So the masses must resist any form of passing the buck if the government itself doesn't start cleaning up their expenditures.

Nigerians are not serious: no other country will accept this nonsense. By now there would be riots and people will have seized the airports to prevent politicians from fleeing.

The govt and politicians have known Nigerians to quickly adapt to hard policies on them. So, they feel they can make such policies and get away with it. The worst thing they believe Nigerians do is RANT ON SOCIAL MEDIA, stage TEMPORARY PROTESTS and SHAM INDUSTRIAL ACTIONS.

I pray for the day they would be shocked!!!
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ideology(m): 10:41am On Aug 18, 2016
francisbarrack:

Wise talk. I voted for there sweet talk then. O tiii su wa. Noone of there children is in nigeria .
even if their children are, we are paying tax for them to loot and reserve for their children

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ideology(m): 10:42am On Aug 18, 2016
Johnrake69:

It's really sad. But we definitely can't continue like this.
they last time NLC. went on strike, didn't you notice what happened?
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ideology(m): 10:44am On Aug 18, 2016
989900:
The people have to reject this -- this is robbery!

Where is Femi Falana, Tinubu and co. now?
oga, i know you, i also know that you voted for this scam, hehehe enjoy with me
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by 989900: 10:46am On Aug 18, 2016
ideology:
oga, i know you, i also know that you voted for this scam, hehehe enjoy with me

That doesn't mean I should not criticize a bad move if I see one. My affiliation lies with the people; NOT any political party.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Femmany: 10:48am On Aug 18, 2016
Real leaders lead by example while Real rulers don't care what happens to its citizens.

The people we put in power to lead us only get in power to rule us.

I wonder how taxes would be put up when there's nothing to show from the past ones. Politicians go to the gyms to work out before they can burn some fat. The average Nigerian doesn't need a gym for that...the economic situation is gym enough.

If the Buhari led govt claims its really about the people, there are a thousand and one people-oriented policies. But until the fat allowances of top govt officials stay uncut, any cut on the livelihood of average Nigerians is pure evil.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by chidozieikeji2: 11:02am On Aug 18, 2016
They want to use style and destroy the strength of social media which have been exposing dem since may 29 as for me and my family I don't have anytin to say but I must vote against buhari come 2019 I will even invest my little income in campaigning against him
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Johnrake69: 11:08am On Aug 18, 2016
ideology:
they last time NLC. went on strike, didn't you notice what happened?

Of course I wasn't surprised. For me NLC has always been a political group. You never see them protest against issues concerning Nigerian workers.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by donodion(m): 11:09am On Aug 18, 2016
Gaborone:
I totally agree with this President of ATCON, this would worsen the already bad case of double taxation.

Additionally, I think this shows a total lack of ingenuity and ideas. I say so because, here they are, so excited about introducing this as an answer to the drive of the government for revenue, forgetting that those who would have to pay are already crumbling under the weight of poverty and lack. They just cannot think of alternative ways of bolstering the economy, so, they gloss over the problem and take the easy route which would culminate in adding more stress to people.

The most painful part of it all is that, this sounds like a bill which President Buhari would speedily give his assent to.

I doubt sincerely. Just a stupid suggestion from an incompetent man at the helms of affairs.
PMB is already in dire stress of how to placate the people,the economy and possible come back in 2019...which have a glimmering hope .
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by donodion(m): 11:13am On Aug 18, 2016
ericuzor:
By Naomi Uzor

Mrs Nike Akande, President of LCCI called for a friendly tax environment especially in view of the difficult business environment.

“We know that the government is seeking to diversify its revenue base in the light of dwindling oil revenue. But it is also true that the private sector players will like to see an investment friendly tax environment, especially in the light of the prevailing high cost of doing business in the country. It is important to balance these two positions.”

Mr Bimbo Atilola, Chairman, LCCI Taxation and Commercial Law Committee said that the bill negated the principle of neutrality in taxation, as it would affect consumers’ behaviour through reduced spending. He appealed that the passage of the bill be suspended to allow for rapid growth of the telecoms sector, in line with the Nigerian National Broadband Plan.

“If the bill must be passed into law, NASS should make the telecoms sector exempted under VAT Act and the rate reduced from nine per cent to five per cent. There is a need to protect the ultimate interest of the final consumers of the service,” Atilola said.

Mr Taiwo Oyedele, Partner, PriceWaterCoopers said that the N20 billion monthly projected revenue from the bill was unrealistic and based on assumption.

According to him, increased taxation will reduce the consumption pattern of consumers, lower investment in the sector, thereby translating to reduced revenue.

Mr Teniola Olusola, President, Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) said that their members were overburdened with multiple taxation.

He urged the government to discontinue the bill, adding that it would reduce inflow of FDI into the sector, reduce subscribers level of data consumption and affect contribution of the sector to GDP. Engr Gbenga Adebayo, President, Association of Licensed Telecommunication Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) said that the bill if passed into law would retard the growth of the sector.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/nigerians-pay-9-tax-calls-sms-mms-data-others/

These are the people that made a whole lot of sense...not the rubbish Shittu is spewing.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by forray(m): 11:15am On Aug 18, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Yeah,, them oil price is not high like it used to be

Fact is....we are a poor nation. When oil price was high...we paid no taxes.

Remember how Sanusi Lamido Sanusi removed ATM charges? (and even his enemies hailed him). Well....back then oil was above $90 per barrel. We could afford to do that as a result.

Remember when Emefiele brought it back? Oil was on a downward trend then. We could no longer afford to stop taxing ATM cards like we used to.

When a country's main revenue earner loses cash.....you have to start raising the taxes. And every oil producer is doing it.

We cannot afford surbsidy. Sorry....but it is the price we pay for relying on oil.

Will u shut up with all this ur nonsense oil talk. What is ur own. Why is it the citizen the one to bear the load. Is the anything wrong in Buhari and his cabinet cutting their salary and allowance to reduce cost or is there anything wrong in reducing the rubbish senator or reps. U keep saying the price of oil dropped, but this government is feeding with one billion naira for a year and continue with the expensive system of government.

Last weekend we had to come out to put the road in my street in other ourselves, generate my own water and light, can't even make use of government hospital despite all the tax I pay and u are hear spewing jargons.

Well I don't blame individuals like u, u still living off somebody, maybe ur parents. Cos no sane person will gladly part with his or her hard earn money in the name of tax to the useless bunch of individual we call government.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Maximus85(m): 11:22am On Aug 18, 2016
hornybee:
Lemme just buy fuel for thunder generator. No b small thunder go faya una.

You're hilarious. You made me laugh so hard.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 18, 2016
these ones dia mental sickness nor get cure. they sha want to milk the masses dry. fvcking bastard, it will b shameful if oldie buhari shud approve this. this is pure nonsense. with all the tax that has been collected is there anyform of subsidized healthcare, clean pipeborne water for rural communities, availability of educational infrastructure for students, constant power supply? no. day in day out dese guys will be living large on tax payers money n what do the masses get in return? NOTHING
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Rayton(m): 12:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
lonelydora:
I regret supporting and voting for Buhari. He has nothing to offer. Confused government.

I neva voted for any1 yet I knew GEJ was better dou he wasn't a saint...I jux knew coz PMB romanced and dined with evil men so HE is EVIL2

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Jok3r(m): 12:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
ericuzor:
By Naomi Uzor
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting organised by the Lagos Chambers of Commerce and Industry, LCCI, on CST bill which seeks to levy nine per cent on subscribers for the use of the various communication services, Shittu said the outcome of deliberations on the bill would form the basis of his advice to the President.

The services include voice call, SMS, MMS, Data usage from telecommunication service providers, internet service providers and Pay TV Stations.

He noted that introduction of new taxes without harmonising existing ones would put pressure on the country’s tax system thereby making it unattractive to investors.

According to the minister”This may also be counter-productive in the long run for our targets on broadband penetration. Our ICT Roadmap gives fresh impetus for implementing existing policies and reviewing any that is inimical to the growth of the sector. My focus on any tax regime will be to align any process that will stimulate the economy and also ensure that the tax system is efficient by widening the tax net. It is also to create an effective framework for tax compliance to protect the poor and vulnerable in the society who nonetheless have to use telecoms services for social inclusion and financial services.”

He said that the government’s efforts at increasing its revenue made the bill worthy of consideration.

“I have been reliably informed that the projected earnings from this effort is over N20 billion every month, which is an attraction to the government for funding our budget deficits. I must be quick to say that this government has a human face twined around its decisions,” Shittu said. The minister said that the government would provide an enabling environment for the ICT and telecommunication sector to thrive through the enactment of relevant legislation.

Mrs Nike Akande, President of LCCI called for a friendly tax environment especially in view of the difficult business environment.

“We know that the government is seeking to diversify its revenue base in the light of dwindling oil revenue. But it is also true that the private sector players will like to see an investment friendly tax environment, especially in the light of the prevailing high cost of doing business in the country. It is important to balance these two positions.”

Mr Bimbo Atilola, Chairman, LCCI Taxation and Commercial Law Committee said that the bill negated the principle of neutrality in taxation, as it would affect consumers’ behaviour through reduced spending. He appealed that the passage of the bill be suspended to allow for rapid growth of the telecoms sector, in line with the Nigerian National Broadband Plan.

“If the bill must be passed into law, NASS should make the telecoms sector exempted under VAT Act and the rate reduced from nine per cent to five per cent. There is a need to protect the ultimate interest of the final consumers of the service,” Atilola said.

Mr Taiwo Oyedele, Partner, PriceWaterCoopers said that the N20 billion monthly projected revenue from the bill was unrealistic and based on assumption.

According to him, increased taxation will reduce the consumption pattern of consumers, lower investment in the sector, thereby translating to reduced revenue.

Mr Teniola Olusola, President, Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) said that their members were overburdened with multiple taxation.

He urged the government to discontinue the bill, adding that it would reduce inflow of FDI into the sector, reduce subscribers level of data consumption and affect contribution of the sector to GDP. Engr Gbenga Adebayo, President, Association of Licensed Telecommunication Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) said that the bill if passed into law would retard the growth of the sector.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/nigerians-pay-9-tax-calls-sms-mms-data-others/

i work i pay tax
i sub for dstv, dem colect tax
firs i pay tax
my car i pay tax

even mtn i dey pay tax cos dem dy colect my credit nd data bundle lik say i owe dem

nw una wan colect tax if i load nd i make call...

the thunder wey go fire una as una start dis tax colection stil dey do press up dey wait for una...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by bigfather(m): 12:28pm On Aug 18, 2016
ideology:
abeg what is the minimum wage of UK, compared to Nigeria, how much do you buy fuel per litre in UK compare that will Nigeria, when you are done, i have hypo for you, use it and wash your brain

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by LastSurvivor: 12:36pm On Aug 18, 2016
Turks:
Kuku Tax us for being alive

Drop dead grin
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ideology(m): 12:45pm On Aug 18, 2016
bigfather:

grin grin grin
why you de laugh? you think this is a funny issue, oya kneel down der
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ideology(m): 12:48pm On Aug 18, 2016
Jok3r:

i work i pay tax
i sub for dstv, dem colect tax
firs i pay tax
my car i pay tax

even mtn i dey pay tax cos dem dy colect my credit nd data bundle lik say i owe dem

nw una wan colect tax if i load nd i make call...

the thunder wey go fire una as una start dis tax colection stil dey do press up dey wait for una...
hahaha, welcome to change
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ojtech8291: 12:53pm On Aug 18, 2016
They are indirectly saying that mobile phone is not for the poor... More than 60% of Nigerians are unemployed where do you want them to get the money from? Or do you want them to go and steal? Chai.... There is God oh... This poverty you are sharing, there is God oh......
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Kaybaba5(m): 1:07pm On Aug 18, 2016
NIGERIA is going somewhere
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by syntekelite(m): 1:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
3million nairalanders all united on this platform shld make any government scared,all i read is complaints when the power is in our hands...we as a people are the final consumers,without us there wil be no government...the sooner we realise that we have to sacrifice in order to make this government take us seriously the better for us..there are many ways we the people can fight the government without violence..

its called PASSIVE WARFARE..when the time comes i hope we on here wil be ready to fight for whats ours..
shalom
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Lawcurrent(m): 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2016
I don't have anything much to say, but let thunder that can push trailer fire those hypocrites
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 18, 2016
forray:

Will u shut up with all this ur nonsense oil talk. What is ur own. Why is it the citizen the one to bear the load. Is the anything wrong in Buhari and his cabinet cutting their salary and allowance to reduce cost or is there anything wrong in reducing the rubbish senator or reps. U keep saying the price of oil dropped, but this government is feeding with one billion naira for a year and continue with the expensive system of government.

Last weekend we had to come out to put the road in my street in other ourselves, generate my own water and light, can't even make use of government hospital despite all the tax I pay and u are hear spewing jargons.

Well I don't blame individuals like u, u still living off somebody, maybe ur parents. Cos no sane person will gladly part with his or her hard earn money in the name of tax to the useless bunch of individual we call government.

Well, I agree 100% that the Government should cut their salaries and their benefits.

The problem is....it won't be enough to solve our problems. We still have to raise taxes.

There is a solution. Nigeria stops relying on oil and becomes industrial. QED.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iphone 8 Benchmarks - By Far The Most Powerful Phone Ever / Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android / Pictures From The Boom J8 Launch In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.