Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others (26840 Views)

Nigerians Spent N3.66trn On Calls, Data In Two Years — NCC / Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS / Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by frisky2good(m): 7:24am On Aug 18, 2016
Turks:
Kuku Tax us for being alive

Lagos residents have to pay tax even if they are jobless. That amounts to taxing them simply because they are alive

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Ajimight(m): 7:24am On Aug 18, 2016
they want to tax me for calling using the internet which i always pay for cos i dnt call for free and i pay for my internet usage or is that i cant read and understand anymore please some should explain for me

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by mesoprogress(m): 7:27am On Aug 18, 2016
Robbing already stressed out citizens through tax to fund your fraudulent projects, padded budgets and fat salaries. Worst government in Nigeria history

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by agabaI23(m): 7:28am On Aug 18, 2016
What about the VAT we pay already?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 18, 2016
DengXioping:
A whooping 9% percent tax rate! On services that even in their very existence are overtly poor. This government Rilly wants to make life difficult and pretty hard for Nigerians, and very soon it will become an "investor no fly zone" if adequate feasibility studies ain't effectively carried out before taking up some plans...One doesn't just wake up in the morning and suddenly say we want to do this and this cos its profitable or bla bla...in every decision taken, the long term implication must always be taken into cognizance.

Yeah,, them oil price is not high like it used to be

Fact is....we are a poor nation. When oil price was high...we paid no taxes.

Remember how Sanusi Lamido Sanusi removed ATM charges? (and even his enemies hailed him). Well....back then oil was above $90 per barrel. We could afford to do that as a result.

Remember when Emefiele brought it back? Oil was on a downward trend then. We could no longer afford to stop taxing ATM cards like we used to.

When a country's main revenue earner loses cash.....you have to start raising the taxes. And every oil producer is doing it.

We cannot afford subsidy. Sorry....but it is the price we pay for relying on oil.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Akinz0126(m): 7:31am On Aug 18, 2016
This government killed the masses already all they just wana do is to bury us patapata.The masses'll always be @ the receiving ends.

We are now paying for the extravagant life our leaders lives in the past and still living now.Chai Opari ooooo
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by dondavinchi(m): 7:35am On Aug 18, 2016
There r already plan on ground to rig d elections so forget abt 2019 d APC has perfected plans to rig d elections so dat is y they r bringing up useless policies to kill nigerians

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by DengXioping(m): 7:35am On Aug 18, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Yeah,, them oil price is not high like it used to be

Fact is....we are a poor nation. When oil price was high...we paid no taxes.

Remember how Sanusi Lamido Sanusi removed ATM charges? (and even his enemies hailed him). Well....back then oil was above $90 per barrel. We could afford to do that as a result.

Remember when Emefiele brought it back? Oil was on a downward trend then. We could no longer afford to stop taxing ATM cards like we used to.

When a country's main revenue earner loses cash.....you have to start raising the taxes. And every oil producer is doing it.

We cannot afford subsidy. Sorry....but it is the price we pay for relying on oil.
Even when we weren't paying taxes per say, we still paid indirectly. With dwindling oil revenue, yes it might be right to raise taxes, or put an effective tax policy on ground, but 9% is way to high.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Futureleader201(m): 7:38am On Aug 18, 2016
The change is here. Thank God for APC undecided tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by nextstep(m): 7:38am On Aug 18, 2016
Piuscrown:
My mind is out of this country. Patapata.
So i will graduate now, start working, and those people will collect everything. Instead of looking for ways to make information cheaper, they looking for ways to make it cost, didn't they know the value of information in national development?

You can always move to the US where:

- federal takes 20-30% income tax
- states take 5-10% income tax
- most states then charge 5-10% sales tax (goods and services)

so you might end up paying 50% of your earned income in taxes of one form or another.

Then the same governments turn around and charge income tax on the profits those companies made selling you a product or service.
If you through the cycle several times, you'll realize that almost 80% of all money is eventually paid as tax to government. Only 20% goes to the actual cost of production.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by abbeyty(m): 7:39am On Aug 18, 2016
dem go soon tax us if we have sex with our husband or wife...
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by iretiland: 7:41am On Aug 18, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well, I am not a zombie, or a wailer, but I can see the sense in government charging taxes on calls.

You see....today, oil prices are now $50 per barrel, and not too long ago they were $29 a barrel. In 2013....oil was $112 per barrel.

That means every barrel of oil we sell in Nigeria now....we are earning $62 less than we earned in 2013.

And oil sadly is our main source of revenue (and don't start singing agric. Agric is not the money spinner it once was. Neither is mining).

And if you recall.....we do not control the price of oil (Or for that matter cocoa,palmoil , groundnut or cotton. Or solid minerals).

When the source of your revenue goes down.....you have to look for other sources of revenue. it takes time to diversify.....ie YEARS. Meanwhile,we need the cash now to pay salaries,build things, keep subsidizing education and so on.

So taxes have to go up.....and new ones have to be found.

Or we take a loan from the IMF ......AND use the money to keep on pretending all is well.(We still have to take loans from the IMF).

And here is the cold reality. Oil is not going to rise again , and we cannot diversify into agric or mining because prices there are low too.(Most agric dependent African countries have their budgets written for them by international aid agenices You want that?)

Nigerians.....we are paying the price for years of relying on oil. And the only way out is more austerity measures....so that we can have the cash to fix the lights and transport...so that we can become industrial Not selling raw materials like this APC govt and their PDP predecessors and most of their Army precursors did.

So stop wailing, stop zombeisim. and face the fact. We are not a rich nation. This oil price fall has shown us the truth. And an oil price rise is not the answer to our problems.

Pay your taxes .THERE IS NO NATIONAL CAKE.

But the Govt is directionless and more clueless than GEJ's govt. I help make the economic aguement to voters around me of the danger of reelecting Jonathan during the 2015 campaign, and even though I was never impressed by Buhari's credentials, I never expected that he will be this bad at governance. Cluelessness means talking looselessly about monetaty policies of the CBN that you have the faintest idea about, keeping a CBN governor with an empty brain to make roundabout policies that drives invedtors away everyday, giving important govt offices to your family & friends when they know nothing about it, pretending to be fighting corruption when you shield thief Dambazu in your govt not minding allegations against. This is a president who cares less about Nigeria and Nigerians except you comes from among his own stock of people.... so willing to spend billions prospecting for oil in the north but can't be bothered about the lifes of people in other part of the country. Another failed president andca failed human being. I now understand and fully agreed with IBB overthrowing him in August 1995.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by erimmy(m): 7:42am On Aug 18, 2016
APC! I tire for una.o. So you now tax Nigerians for everything,meanwhile salary has refused to increased.I don't have have more to say,but just continue. Anyway, check my signature

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by nonjebose(m): 7:43am On Aug 18, 2016
They will only make foreign and investment in this country unattractive. Attracting investment into the country through tax waivers and other incentives for employment generation should be their goal at this point. Increasing tax on already taxed organisations will be a very bad decision. To imagine that the tax paid may be used for bogus oil exploration is annoying

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Piuscrown: 7:43am On Aug 18, 2016
nextstep:

so you might end up paying 50% of your earned income in taxes of one form or another.

Then the same governments turn around and charge income tax on the profits those companies made selling you a product or service.
If you through the cycle several times, you'll realize that almost 80% of all money is eventually paid as tax to government. Only 20% goes to the actual cost of production.

bro paying the tax is not the problem here but knowing that the money won't be properly use is an issue. When we have a lot, we know what they did with the money.

By the way how do you know am thinking of the US

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by gidjah(m): 7:43am On Aug 18, 2016
hahahahah, i hope DORA IS NOW NO MORE LONELY like AKON?
lonelydora:
I regret supporting and voting for Buhari. He has nothing to offer. Confused government.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by bejeria101(m): 7:44am On Aug 18, 2016
Una no go charge for breathing into the phone?
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Realist2: 7:46am On Aug 18, 2016
Hian !, Buhari is a Hardship provider, the giver of suffering and poverty developer, God please give us another IBB fast.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 18, 2016
nastyesco:
I think this Govt is getting things wrong. Truth is a thorough Tax system isn't in place in Nigeria and because Govt needs other sources of revenue, They will need to explore other means for generating revenue. But the approach of this Govt is totally wrong. The telecoms system is already organised and Tax revenue is in place. There are many sectors which they can explore to generate tax. Simply put the Govt is just a very lazy one, they can't dare to innovate because they are not in tune with current practices. Rather than hire professionals to assist it has been mediocre appointments based on loyalty....Rubbish
I agree. Remember the policy on copyright policies for CDs when nobody uses them anymore because we can easily download movies and music from the internet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 18, 2016
Pidggin:
They tax my bank transactions now they want to tax my call credit too?
Bubu/APC go soon tax us for breathing the already polluted Air.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by PecE2Make: 7:47am On Aug 18, 2016
Only in Apc's lead government you will find all this happening. They always derive joy in punishing the masses.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by princy80(m): 7:48am On Aug 18, 2016
thunder fire person wet him brain generate that idea... when I thought things could get more worse. supporting this govt is one of the things I av come to regret. someone should just go and give that man a is for APPLE o.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 18, 2016
Lazy economics. To shore up revenue the got wants to tax even the air we breathe. If they want to tax tax, they cannot provide the basic amenities first. Idiot govt. Hopefully in the next 36 months they will be out for good. They to tax us like Britain without providing the free Healthcare, and housing Britain provides
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by m6tem: 7:50am On Aug 18, 2016
When I'm even complaining that 3G is too small for 2500 they want to start charging extra?

The thunder we go fire them still dey do push up ☝ for Zimbabwe
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by DengXioping(m): 7:50am On Aug 18, 2016
nonjebose:
They will only make foreign and investment in this country unattractive. Attracting investment into the country through tax waivers and other incentives for employment generation should be their goal at this point. Increasing tax on already taxed organisations will be a very bad decision. To imagine that the tax paid may be used for bogus oil exploration is annoying
Honestly that should be the goal at this crucial point.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by IamThrive(m): 7:51am On Aug 18, 2016
If and only if apc mentioned all these weird things we are seeing during their campaign. I don't think anyone that loves his/her country will vote for them.

Anyway, they have come into power be say they don come but like fly wey dey for Longman scrotum...
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by kennymotors(m): 7:52am On Aug 18, 2016
is the APC 'change' mean hardship?
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by montezz(f): 7:53am On Aug 18, 2016
I am not surprised. 2019 is almost here.
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by tinkernut: 7:55am On Aug 18, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well, I am not a zombie, or a wailer, but I can see the sense in government charging taxes on calls.

You see....today, oil prices are now $50 per barrel, and not too long ago they were $29 a barrel. In 2013....oil was $112 per barrel.

That means every barrel of oil we sell in Nigeria now....we are earning $62 less than we earned in 2013.

And oil sadly is our main source of revenue (and don't start singing agric. Agric is not the money spinner it once was. Neither is mining).

And if you recall.....we do not control the price of oil (Or for that matter cocoa,palmoil , groundnut or cotton. Or solid minerals).

When the source of your revenue goes down.....you have to look for other sources of revenue. it takes time to diversify.....ie YEARS. Meanwhile,we need the cash now to pay salaries,build things, keep subsidizing education and so on.

Or we take a loan from the IMF ......AND use the money to keep on pretending all is well.(We still have to take loans from the IMF).

And here is the cold reality. Oil is not going to rise again , and we cannot diversify into agric or mining because prices there are low too.(Most agric dependent African countries have their budgets written for them by international aid agenices You want that?)

Nigerians.....we are paying the price for years of relying on oil. And the only way out is more austerity measures....so that we can have the cash to fix the lights and transport...so that we can become industrial Not selling raw materials like this APC govt and their PDP predecessors and most of their Army precursors did.

So stop wailing, stop zombeisim. and face the fact. We are not a rich nation. This oil price fall has shown us the truth. And an oil price rise is not the answer to our problems.

yes we need an alternative method to earn as a nation, but has every other avenue been explored? before beaming heavy tax on the masses.
I mean have we tried to reduce the cost of running this government? particularly the NATIONAL ASSEMBLY! that spent about 3.3% of the entire national budget as at 2015. God knows what they spend now.
TRIM DOWN THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY! one the biggest consumers of tax payers money

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by bilulu(m): 7:56am On Aug 18, 2016
nextstep:

oga taxing ur citizens is not d problem but d problem is re we getting d moni d way its being spent? d US u made mention of make d moni d way d spend
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by moski5(m): 7:57am On Aug 18, 2016
We should be looking for ways to KICK against this tax instead of insulting n Lamenting

Someone create a new thread n post the link here it should be on how to kick against the this Tax n we all should follow d said Procedure else Like the bank Transaction tax no one kicked against we will ve to pay
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by metalDETECTED(m): 7:58am On Aug 18, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

What do you have to say to the government that has not done any visible project with taxes they have collected so far? Are you this hollow? Who doesnt know the crap you put up there? You are comfirmed and card carrying zombie angry

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android / Pictures From The Boom J8 Launch In Lagos / USSD Code: How To Check Your Gtbank Account Balance With Your Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.