Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? (23479 Views)

Bayelsa Anglican Reverend Slumps & Dies On Pulpit During Wedding Ceremony / Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? / Young Men On The Pulpit Driven By Tithe, Offering Honorarium - Gbile Akanni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by anochuko01(m): 2:23pm On Aug 28, 2016
Its just to appear formal, nothing more...The same way as working in an organisation.
If you then decide to wear any other thing, its still NOBODY'S business.

And when did PROMOTING OF CULTURE become the job of pastors
Its this same OP that'll go and borrow suit for job interview. LOL

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Waspy(m): 2:23pm On Aug 28, 2016
Brings to mind all these local C. A. C pastors.... ..Their own na Black Lab coat undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 28, 2016
if Paul had proceeded to Asia minor as planed before heading to Macedonia , Christianity might have been more pronounced in Asia , there might have been a likely chance of we imbibing Asian life style in Christianity.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Pylony(m): 2:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
I also wonder why Suits every Sunday? Seems like they have choosen to Promote the white Mans mode of dressing while our beautiful African wears are left for the congregation to manage.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by HMZi: 2:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
Nexxxxxt----->
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Dething: 2:27pm On Aug 28, 2016
priceaction:
Very irrelevant threads making FP these days.

I keep wondering how this kept happening!
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by HomeOfMe(f): 2:27pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:
Some churches make it a rule that you must be on suit while ministering. My question is why not in our native attire? Is there any sin in promoting our own in the house of God? Please let the pastors in the house give us insight

Originally: Why Is It That Our Pastors Are Always On Suit While Preaching
I'm a fan of "whatever you're comfortable in".

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Lexusgs430: 2:28pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:
Some churches make it a rule that you must be on suit while ministering. My question is why not in our native attire? Is there any sin in promoting our own in the house of God? Please let the pastors in the house give us insight

When you analyse the reason people wear suits to job interviews, your answer would be hiding within..................

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by BABANGBALI: 2:29pm On Aug 28, 2016
One pastor wey I borrow my monkey suit since 2003 never return am if I report am to our G.O dem go say I dey wicked
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by unmask: 2:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
firstking01:
This is why king solomon said in eclesiastes that when you go to church, pay more attention to the word/preaching, than to give the sacrifice of fools....some people esp the atheist go to church to look for any slight thing they will use to critisize the church and pastors...remove your eyes from the messanger and what the pastor is wearing and fix your eyes on jesus the author and finisher of your faith...a pastor must nt always wear suit, if he choses to, then that's his choice.
so why do some churches dictate dress codes? Double standards....anyways while telling people that observe the dressings of preachers to desist from it, you should also give the same warning to churches.....tell them we are to ve allowed to wear what ever we want, their job is just preaching
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by DonCortino: 2:32pm On Aug 28, 2016
newsphase:
It is a style of dresssing that most people are comfortable with, in the sense that it does not give way for an extravagant show of luxury (meaning all those pastors who would want to show off their wealth by wearing other forms of clothing are refused that privilege
Do u know some pastors wear suits worth 1 million and even boast about it on d pulpit?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Deo27: 2:33pm On Aug 28, 2016
The Western introduced the religion to us and that is the way they dress.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by speak2me2015: 2:34pm On Aug 28, 2016
How does this question help you to go to heaven?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by femi4: 2:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:

To make them smart. You don't want your Pastor's agbada to be an obstruction
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 28, 2016
newsphase:
It is a style of dresssing that most people are comfortable with, in the sense that it does not give way for an extravagant show of luxury (meaning all those pastors who would want to show off their wealth by wearing other forms of clothing are refused that privilege

....and do you know there are suits you can wear that would portray an extravagant show of luxury?? Are pastors prevented from wearing expensive wrist watches and shoes?? Are the prevented from using expensive gadgets?? You need to ask yourself those questions...

Bro, its just about promoting western culture!

The same reason why in school, during project defence, native wears are frowned at.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Mom007(f): 2:44pm On Aug 28, 2016
This is a pointless post, It's also fallacious. pastors don't wear just suits on the pulpit. They also wear the native styles of dressing sometimes. suits just appear more common because a man can't just wear shirt and trousers without tie n suit without appearing casual and slouchy, hence the suit. Op next time pay more attention to what is being said than what the speaker is wearing.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by lekejob(m): 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2016
jcross19:
the question is true. It has turn tradition in nigeria particularly that pastor "must" wear suit on every sunday for preaching that's dressing code for a nigerian pastor now if I may ask why are they rejecting our own native attires but opt for english ones ? Is it not mental slavery?.

can't you just mind your own business, it is good for your health.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by hotspec(m): 2:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
Op, why are bankers always on suit?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Princelegacylemoha(m): 2:53pm On Aug 28, 2016
johnstar:
Cus its business

Pastors and wayo
Keep Quiet! !
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Aaronsrod: 2:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
missKiffy:
It's obviously not a "must" in my church, some pastors wear native

You must leave that church. Sometimes native wears carries curses which are of the adversary. Be very careful with what you wear before God. Have you prayed over your clothing?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by ENEMIESENEMY(m): 2:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
You all know that 90% of our pastors wear suits, or tie and trousers, it is like a uniform to them, but instead of majority of you commenting to answer the OP's simple question of "Why Is It That Our Pastors Are Always On Suit While Preaching" . . . Majority are just talking nonsense.

In my opinion, it is very simple, explaining it left and right, defend however you want. The truth is, that dress code is borne out of mental slavery and or embracing the western culture.
You can either face the truth or deceive yourself.

Let me take this opportunity to address you people that wear suits 2 o'clock in the afternoon inside traffic, jumping from one danfo to another, trekking in the middle of crowd in the name of looking corporate, continue, one day, that tie would choke you and the suit would suffocate you to death.

Maybe they designed suit for Nigeria's weather you would tell me.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by tolexy007(m): 2:59pm On Aug 28, 2016
NL admin, were always eager to put irrelevant and unproductive topic on Front page, but keep removing MMM topic from thread.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by SuperSupremo(m): 2:59pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:

If they are to be sincere to themselves in following jesus they would have emulate his dress code and Mary's own too.

They care less about that due to shear hypocrisy
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by eyekaynoble: 3:02pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:

U are very correct but catholic priests dem no dey wear am. Abi no be the same work dem dey do? Op, na anoda topic i giv u so
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by bezimo(m): 3:02pm On Aug 28, 2016
When you wear suit you look more presentable, but its not really a commandment of God.It depends on what the leadership of the church decides to wear.
Gods servent of blessed memory in person of Archbishop Benson Idahosa appeared more in agbada(Native attire) than suit when preaching either home or abroad and his anoiting was obviously more than the other pastors wearing suit at that time. So it doesn't really matter but be neat and presentable.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by plaetton: 3:03pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:

Because they are in show business.
That's what it is all about.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by iyke484real(m): 3:07pm On Aug 28, 2016
jcross19:
the question is true. It has turn tradition in nigeria particularly that pastor "must" wear suit on every sunday for preaching that's dressing code for a nigerian pastor now if I may ask why are they rejecting our own native attires but opt for english ones ? Is it not mental slavery?.
Bros Tb Joshua Is essemted , he is not always on suite
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by chachanga: 3:18pm On Aug 28, 2016
For the spiritually mature, its an inconsequential fact that's simply a matter of taste, exposure or convenience.

For the unlearned, the fastidious, the officiously parochial and the sentimentalists, it's an essential badge of pastoral office.

If you will consider the fact that the term "coat" used severally in Scripture only connoted the "outer garment" as an accessory; then you will realize that no culture is expected to strictly leave its own style of outer-garment couture to adhere to another's.

If that were to be an imperative, then we would all have had to go the Jewish way, much like Puritans or the present-day Amish communities abounding in US.

The scriptures will always be the final authority on all issues hence take the words of the Lord to heart. It's quite lengthy but indulge me. I've also had to patiently read the back&forths' of this thread. Here goes: Col 2:16-23

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. 18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not d seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God. 20 Therefore, e if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh

The more the scriptures have set you free from fleshly trappings of human conventions, why yoke yourself again? Are you therefore men-pleasers.

It's true that some have given their superintendents and church workers rules and laws about suit wearing and coat-donning.
Let them remember that its is a legacy of our white brothers through whom evangelical Christianity got here a tad-bit late after Orthodox Christianity . Left to them, we would all have been wearing cassocks, frocks and monkish garments now but praise be to God for the revival fires of Pentecostalism, we're privileged to argue about, of all things vital, suit wearing or not, abi?!

I have no business issuing commands to another person's superintendents but this clearly contravenes scriptures. People have issued such orders such out administrative expediency and I'm behind them, in fact, I've complied severally. But not because I thought angels were wearing waistcoats or that Father God was all garbed up like Bruce Almighty in resplendent white suit up in heaven! tongue

To insist on suits as a pastoral uniform as a biblical order is heresy, foreign foolishness, carnal hard-headed parochialism and arrant nonsense which has no roots at all in bible.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by TeamSimple(m): 3:23pm On Aug 28, 2016
Op Can you wear native to work on monday?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by johnstar(m): 3:24pm On Aug 28, 2016
Princelegacylemoha:
Keep Quiet! !
oh u shutt d fvck up, pls dnt quote me in ur life, ar u a madman?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Ghostmachin3: 3:25pm On Aug 28, 2016
sorextee:
So what should they wear?
undecided
sorextee:
So what should they wear?
Tchiew..who pastors epp?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by comeandmarry: 3:36pm On Aug 28, 2016
Theres a big ass saying,and i'm gonna give it to you right now..if you cant join them,then beat them...
Yeah.... I guess thats why

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chris Oyakhilome Celebrates His 56th Birthday Today / RCCG Annual Fasting And Prayer February 2013 ( Prayer Guide) / Elijah Ayodele: Tinubu Will Form A New Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.